Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Speed camera on Woolwich Road

124»

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2022
    iainment said:
    Vehicle identification doesn’t stop cars, vans, lorries, motorbikes, buses jumping red lights. Why would it stop those cyclists who do?
    It wont stop them but will lead to significant prosecutions.
    From 2019

Glasgow was the highest offender as 13,373 motorists were found to jump traffic lights in a figure which can account for more than 10 percent of all offences across England, Wales and Scotland. Edinburgh was the second-highest offender with over 8,000 recorded incidents before Nottingham and Bristol were also revealed as high offenders with over 5,000 prosecutions each.  
  • Options
    iainment said:
    Vehicle identification doesn’t stop cars, vans, lorries, motorbikes, buses jumping red lights. Why would it stop those cyclists who do?
    No, it doesn’t, but those drivers will receive fines if the lights have cameras fitted (or are seen by a police officer) as many do now. They’ll receive a £100 fine and 3 points on their licence.  
  • Options
    I’ve seen cyclists get pulled over for RLJing by the police. I assume they got fined. It doesn’t seem to be a major policing issue or they’d focus more resources on it.
  • Options
    If a pedestrian or driver spotted a youth doing something illegal on a number plated bike, what would the police do with that information? Likely, nothing. Because that’s what they do for pretty much all ‘minor’ highway infractions. Try this at home: ring the police and report a speeding car. Give the number plate, and say you saw the driver doing 40mph in a 30mph zone. What do you think the reaction would be?
  • Options
    It's breaking the law, though, right? The same as speeding. Don't want to break the law, then don't jump red lights. Simple.

The purpose of a form of identification will allow members of the public to submit evidence of red light jumping to the app that should be developed, like the one you linked to.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    If a pedestrian or driver spotted a youth doing something illegal on a number plated bike, what would the police do with that information? Likely, nothing. Because that’s what they do for pretty much all ‘minor’ highway infractions. Try this at home: ring the police and report a speeding car. Give the number plate, and say you saw the driver doing 40mph in a 30mph zone. What do you think the reaction would be?
    What's the point of the app mentioned in the link you posted, then?
  • Options
    iainment said:
    What's the point of the app mentioned in the link you posted, then?
    Ask them. I just thought it interesting. I wouldn’t use it. 
  • Options
    iainment said:
    I’ve seen cyclists get pulled over for RLJing by the police. I assume they got fined. It doesn’t seem to be a major policing issue or they’d focus more resources on it.
    I've seen the City of London Police stopping cyclists after they've gone through a red light. Fixed penalty notices being issued.

They used to issue fixed penalty notices for riding bikes on footpaths.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    iainment said:
    I've seen the City of London Police stopping cyclists after they've gone through a red light. Fixed penalty notices being issued.

They used to issue fixed penalty notices for riding bikes on footpaths.
    I think the CoLP are a bit of an exception. They still have foot patrols as well, lol!
    I had my own technique for walking around the City and dealing with cyclists and taxis ignoring the lights. With bikes, somehow my umbrella got accidently caught in the spokes. That kind of stopped them. And I just kicked a side panel of taxis. Boy do taxi drivers not like having dented panels. I wouldn't do it now - not with all the CCTV around.
  • Options
    You absolute nutter.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If only there was some sort of system of signs that could be erected that showed what the speed limit was for a specific stretch of road on a white background with block black numbering. They could even put a bright red ring round the outside of those signs so that they stood out. That would solve all the problems - I can't believe someone hasn't invented those yet. 
    Madness. Bloody communist mind control. I blame Sadiq Khan.
  • Options
    Twenty miles an hour is laughable. You can do that on a bicycle.  You would have to be practically asleep to hit anything at that speed.  It's not easy to drive at twenty when you have been conditioned to thirty in urban areas and it invariably involves changing down a gear or two. The Police know this and target speeding in these areas because it's more lucrative. I got done opposite the entrance to the Stone Lake retail park in Charlton (Currys/PC World) by a copper who ran out from the turning with a gun. I was doing 26mph and at risk to no-one. This nonsense shouldn't prioritise over burglary and car crime which is no longer investigated.
    Change down to 3rd. It isn't that difficult.
  • Options

Motorists caught driving in cycle lanes on roads managed by Transport for London (TfL) are to be fined from Monday, the transport body has said.

New powers have been given to the authority and other London boroughs to fine drivers who cross the solid white lines which mark cycle tracks.

Existing CCTV cameras will initially be used in "key locations... to deter drivers contravening the road rules".

TfL said the move would make the capital's streets safer.

Only rental e-scooters within the various trial areas and pedal cycles can legally be used in cycle lanes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-61924719

• Options
    Also allow the authorities to get them for going through red traffic lights, I saw three idiots do it yesterday, shame a bus was turning across the road, almost wiped the lot of them out, however learnt some very interesting combinations swear words from the bus driver, bus had to do an emergency stop and looked like a few passengers went flying. The cyclists carried on regardless. I know the vast majority of cyclists are well behaved and responsible but to be able to get away with deliberately breaking the law knowing that there’s no possibility of any legal comeback is damn right annoying.  
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    cafcfan said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    The new Silverhouse Tunnel will do wonders for pollution.

It's a great idea to put 20 mph limit on a dual carriageway- raises plenty of cash. 

Don’t speed, no cash raised. Simple really.
    Ludicrous fines for ridiculous speed limits on a dual carriageway- nothing to do with safety and all about revenue generation.

The police like Khan don't give a shit about road safety but they're happy to stand there with their mobile speed cameras to raise money. They'd install a permanent camera if safety was the issue.

Obey the speed rules. No problem then.
    Like many, you are over-simplifying the actual situation. So, while inappropriate speed is shown to be a contributory factor in around a third of road accidents, (but rarely the main factor) there are some other things to consider.

First that inappropriate speed can easily be a speed less than the speed limit if road conditions dictate. Like if it's snowing there is heavy rain or fog and/or it is at nighttime and the local council can't be arsed to have operational street lights*. Accidents do not just occur when it's nice and sunny funnily enough. 

Second, by far and way the largest influence on traffic accidents is "driving without due care and attention".  In fact some statistics suggest that inappropriate speed is the main contributory factor in only around 6% of accidents.  The speed "rules" as you quaintly put it, are not there because high speed is dangerous per se but because it is an easy way to mitigate against other factors. Like some drivers being totally useless and not having a clue about what is going on around them.

Third, over 65% of pedestrian accidents are wholly the fault of the pedestrian, either by not paying attention, scrolling down their mobile or drunk for example. It is wholly inappropriate that innocent drivers should be persecuted for the actions of  other moronic individuals.

I hope that helps.

*A few days ago at night, there was a cyclist, I saw him so nothing happened. Something made me stop at a rural junction a little longer than I would normally have done. Otherwise I would have taken him out and I'm sure if I had hit him I would have been deemed wholly at fault. Now, while I would have accepted some of the blame, frankly on a pitch-black night, someone on a black cycle with no lights and head to foot in entirely black clothes should certainly accept some of the responsibility for their attempts to get a Darwin Award.
    Innocent drivers aren’t prosecuted, except perhaps by accident. If you break the speed limit, you aren’t innocent. 
    But I deliberately didn't say "prosecuted" I said "persecuted". You'll note the subtle difference.
    I must admit I missed that you’d written that. 
  • Options
    Next in the pipeline....cyclists being required to have visible registration identification on their bikes so an app can be developed to report red light jumping. That'll raise some much needed revenue whilst also holding another section of road law breakers to account for their selfish and dangerous actions.
    I’d prefer a trap like in the tunnel in Raiders. They’d never (be able) to do it again. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I’m surprised the Chinese haven’t run out of numbers. Or have they got six foot number plates?
  • Options
    Just to piss everyone off 😇
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I’m surprised the Chinese haven’t run out of numbers. Or have they got six foot number plates?
    In a huge population they will find somebody to sort the number conundrum.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just to piss everyone off 😇
    Quite cynical use of the words ‘engagement’ and ‘consultation’.
    Engagement to authorities means telling you what is going to happen, and consultation means ignoring what you say, because guess why? They say they have already ‘engaged’ with the community!
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    There are over 2.1billion combinations of letters and numbers just in a 6 character registration 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    seth plum said:
    There are over 2.1billion combinations of letters and numbers just in a 6 character registration 
    Just enough to cover a small village in China. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    seth plum said:
    I don't believe you so you'll need to list them  :D