Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thomas Sandgaard answers questions from supporters

Charlton Owner, Thomas Sandgaard, sat down with the club's Fan Adviser, Lucy Bishop, last week to answer questions from supporters.

Supporters can watch the interview via this link https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/623dd82af029e/thomas-sandgaard-answers-questions-from-supporters

Comments

• Options
    Listened to the whole interview. Never commented as everything he said before we have before in various interviews and articles etc. Wasn’t anything new from TS. Not critical of TS at all, just don’t think I learnt anything new.
  • Options
    Listened to the whole interview. Never commented as everything he said before we have before in various interviews and articles etc. Wasn’t anything new from TS. Not critical of TS at all, just don’t think I learnt anything new.
    That’s down to the questions being asked, he cannot be blamed for that.
    He did seem to get annoyed with the £100m debt question 
  • Options
    In case anyone was wondering where the lovely Osca home shirt too Lucy's right is from, it belongs to the museum and is temporarily on display, with 8 or 9 other items, in the Charlton TV Lounge which is where the interview took place.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    PopIcon said:
    Scoham said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Scoham said:
    You know interest has really dropped off this season when no one has commented.

One of the most positive things is about 7 minutes in when TS says there might be a few out of contract players we’ll talk about extending. I’ll be concerned if we keep Matthews, Inniss, Pearce and Purrington, there’s a good case for releasing all four.
    Don't see that as a positive at all.
    “A few” could be Washington, JFC and Pearce/Purrington. I think most would keep the first two? Although I’m not convinced we should keep Pearce or Purrington having either or both as a back up isn’t going to decide our season.

If we go beyond that signing up any of Matthews, Gunter, Inniss, Henderson etc then I agree. It would be a bad thing if he has said we’ve got a lot of out of contract players we’ll be offering new deals to.
    If TS has ambitions of the autos, then Pearce shouldn't be signing on as a player. 352 is a proven way of getting out of L1 and Jacko seems to like it. Pearce is like Christian Dailly of 2011, experienced, but slow and a liability.

If our argument for ditching Inniss is his poor injury record then JFC has to go too.

We need an overhaul, maybe four of our current xi would walk into an autos team.

While i like Stockley and Washington, we are missing a goal scorer. Someone who will fire 20+ goals a season. I appreciate these players are at a premium. If we have one of the highest budgets in the league, why can't we attract one?

I don't want to be a doom and gloom merchant, but we have become a worse team under TS. I want to be proven wrong, i want this post to bite me on the arse, but i fear next season will be much like this. Poor recruitment, lacklustre performances and hope of the autos over by Christmas.
    Like I said keeping one or two as cover isn’t going to decide our season, it only becomes a problem when it’s a lot more than that.

JFC has had two major injuries, other than that played plenty of games. Inniss on the other hand even when fully fit can’t play twice a week.

We’ll be letting so many go that there will no doubt be an overhaul, hard to see how we won’t need to make around 10 signings or close to it.

Agree we need a top striker, it’s a position where I’m sure we’ll be bringing someone in. I can’t see Burstow and Davison being here next season and it’s obvious getting a player of their level as back up isn’t enough.

With the budget we have, more time to bed in the new set up, Roddy gone and lessons learnt from this season I can’t see recruitment being as poor as last season. The question for me is will it be enough? That can come down to a few key signings, find our Yann or Taylor for example and it can lift the team up a level. Those players probably aren’t hard to identify but there will be a lot of competition to sign them. If Taylor had taken more money at Sunderland we probably wouldn’t have gone up that season. We were lucky that Yann was ignored and written off by others after struggling at Leicester.
  • Options
    Except he got the hump again when the previous debt question came up. 
    He backtracked on what he said previously and said anyone can look it up.
    We accrued £100M of debt in the 10 years prior to his takeover (or something like that for the pedantic). 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    PS Poor Lucy looked quite scared (don't blame her). 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:

One of the most positive things is about 7 minutes in when TS says there might be a few out of contract players we’ll talk about extending. I’ll be concerned if we keep Matthews, Inniss, Pearce and Purrington, there’s a good case for releasing all four.
    Not watched it, and to be honest can't be bothered to watch it, but that to me is neither a positive or negative, but just normal.

Indeed if there are players we want to keep, it could be argued that we should have done it by now rather than waiting until late March
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Not watched it, and to be honest can't be bothered to watch it, but that to me is neither a positive or negative, but just normal.

Indeed if there are players we want to keep, it could be argued that we should have done it by now rather than waiting until late March
    Ideally but it’s normal at this level, the players you want to keep are likely to be the ones hoping for a Championship move or at least in no rush to sign to get the best possible deal.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    PopIcon said:
    Scoham said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Scoham said:

“A few” could be Washington, JFC and Pearce/Purrington. I think most would keep the first two? Although I’m not convinced we should keep Pearce or Purrington having either or both as a back up isn’t going to decide our season.

If we go beyond that signing up any of Matthews, Gunter, Inniss, Henderson etc then I agree. It would be a bad thing if he has said we’ve got a lot of out of contract players we’ll be offering new deals to.
    If TS has ambitions of the autos, then Pearce shouldn't be signing on as a player. 352 is a proven way of getting out of L1 and Jacko seems to like it. Pearce is like Christian Dailly of 2011, experienced, but slow and a liability.

If our argument for ditching Inniss is his poor injury record then JFC has to go too.

We need an overhaul, maybe four of our current xi would walk into an autos team.

While i like Stockley and Washington, we are missing a goal scorer. Someone who will fire 20+ goals a season. I appreciate these players are at a premium. If we have one of the highest budgets in the league, why can't we attract one?

I don't want to be a doom and gloom merchant, but we have become a worse team under TS. I want to be proven wrong, i want this post to bite me on the arse, but i fear next season will be much like this. Poor recruitment, lacklustre performances and hope of the autos over by Christmas.
    I think Pearce and Purrington are not in the same category but I think a good case could be made for retaining them in the right circumstances. In terms of Pearce, as a break the glass in case of emergency player and primarily a coach. He should be additional to the squad but if there are a few games where we have an injury crisis, this sort of player if not too expensive is a bonus.

In terms of Purrington, he scored at Wembley when we got promoted a few years back and absolutely could contribute to a League One promotion winning side, even as a back up. We do need to look at the whole squad, not just our best eleven. 
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    I watched the interview late last night after a long day out and it reinforced a number things.

In terms of progression on the pitch, he separates the goal from the plan.  So, laudable ambitions from Thomas (stable Premier League Club) but we will do that via improvements in infrastructure and individual coaching.  Our future (and current?) U23s represent a significant part of that progression.  

From the Fans' Forum notes, I discover that the buzzphrase he has introduced into the Club is 'Premier League ready'.  I'm glad that we have a three-word mantra ... I mean, it works for Boris and Trump.

Others will critique the whole interview, I'm sure, but my overriding feeling has not changed.  Sandgaard is well-intentioned, but naïve in football terms.  His reluctance to delegate will prove (is proving) costly in financial terms and with regard to timescale.  But he is picking up that tab and recognising that his ambitions will take longer to realise, so that's fine, isn't it?

I applaud him for his enthusiasm and single-mindedness, but I feel frustration at his inability to gather the perfect team around him (and that includes the power of the fanbase).

I hope that some of our representatives who communicate with him on a regular or infrequent basis can inspire sufficient confidence and that he can start to back off and listen to those around him who know the unique (sorry!) business of football much better than he does.
    "Premier League ready" is a bit like "Strong and stable"...

And it's dubious really, as to be genuinely PL ready you'd need to spend a fortune on the stadium which won't be happening imminently. Various elements aren't up to scratch, e.g. the dugouts and a lot of the media facilities.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I don't know why a player scoring a goal in a play-off game three years ago is a reason he should stay. 

If Darren Pratley didn't score against Doncaster, we wouldn't even have been there. Should he have stayed.

Jonny Williams changed the game against Sunderland and now plays in League Two. Should he have stayed.

Come on, it's not a reason. If anything it highlights the lack of reason that we're having to go that far back to find one.
    The point was he was part of a promotion winning squad of course.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    talk is cheap .. show us the MONEY lol
  • Options
    Washington is the only one I would keep. 

JFC can be kept around to see how he is in pre-season and make a judgement there. 

We really should be doing better than the rest. Did people forget the season we've just had? 
    I didn’t forgot, I recognise from our last two promotion squads that you don’t need 20 top League 1 players to get promoted. Even Powell’s squad included players like Doherty (very fortune our other 3 CBs stayed fit), Benson, Evina and Euell. Others such as Wagstaff played a lot but weren’t Championship standard.

A completely new squad with 20 signings would be an exciting summer but the gap isn’t so far that we need to do that.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Scoham said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Scoham said:

I think Pearce and Purrington are not in the same category but I think a good case could be made for retaining them in the right circumstances. In terms of Pearce, as a break the glass in case of emergency player and primarily a coach. He should be additional to the squad but if there are a few games where we have an injury crisis, this sort of player if not too expensive is a bonus.

In terms of Purrington, he scored at Wembley when we got promoted a few years back and absolutely could contribute to a League One promotion winning side, even as a back up. We do need to look at the whole squad, not just our best eleven. 
    We need to have quality back ups, i'd rather see us blood one of the kids and save a squad place. For a mid lower League One team (us at the moment) he's forth choice. 

Re Purrington, fine in a back four, but not a wingback. We can be fairly confident that Jackson will stick with 352, i'll go as far to say we will rely on loans for our wing backs.
    In my opnion we should be building for the future and not relying on loans for positions we have struggled to fill. It's been a major flaw in our xi over the past two seasons.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    Scoham said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Scoham said:

We need to have quality back ups, i'd rather see us blood one of the kids and save a squad place. For a mid lower League One team (us at the moment) he's forth choice. 

Re Purrington, fine in a back four, but not a wingback. We can be fairly confident that Jackson will stick with 352, i'll go as far to say we will rely on loans for our wing backs.
    In my opnion we should be building for the future and not relying on loans for positions we have struggled to fill. It's been a major flaw in our xi over the past two seasons.
    What squad place? My point about Pearce was he could potentially be additional to the squad. 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Here's how I hope we will frame the question of retainment, because it takes the sentimentality out of it:

Would we sign these players on a free?

Jason Pearce, CB who will be 35 next season, up-and-down form over the past few years, battler but legs declining and will continue to decline. Available, should we sign him? 

Ben Purrington, solid 'steady eddy' left-back who struggles getting forward in the traditional 'wide play' sense. Should we sign him as a backup wing-back?

Adam Matthews, 30-year-old who hasn't really looked good since 19/20 and cost his team a good few goals this year. Questionable attitude. Again he is a full-back, should he be signed to play as a backup wing-back?
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    Scoham said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Scoham said:

What squad place? My point about Pearce was he could potentially be additional to the squad. 
    There is a cap on how many senior players we can have in the squad. 
  • Options
    I think our current best players (all 4 of them?!) are obvious squad back-ups for a serious promotion challenging side. Altho Dobson should start. Hopefully players like Washington and Gilbey would improve with better around them and claim their places. 

The likes of Matthews, Gunter, Pearce, Famewo, MacGillvary, Leko, Lee, Jaiyesimi, Aneke (I could go on) should be nowhere near next season's squad if we are serious about promotion.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Washington is the only one I would keep. 

JFC can be kept around to see how he is in pre-season and make a judgement there. 

We really should be doing better than the rest. Did people forget the season we've just had? 
    I didn’t forgot, I recognise from our last two promotion squads that you don’t need 20 top League 1 players to get promoted. Even Powell’s squad included players like Doherty (very fortune our other 3 CBs stayed fit), Benson, Evina and Euell. Others such as Wagstaff played a lot but weren’t Championship standard.

A completely new squad with 20 signings would be an exciting summer but the gap isn’t so far that we need to do that.
    It massively helps if you have players who stay fit.

In 2011/12 we had hardly any injuries, and a core of players most of which were nearly ever present. Powell could pick the same players game after game, including midweeks, whereas in recent years we've needed a big squad to cover players who physically can't cope with 2 games a week or have a history of injury problems.

A fit Ryan Inniss would be the first name on the teamsheet, but he's so rarely fit that he's sadly wasting a place in the squad
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I don't know why a player scoring a goal in a play-off game three years ago is a reason he should stay. 

If Darren Pratley didn't score against Doncaster, we wouldn't even have been there. Should he have stayed.

Jonny Williams changed the game against Sunderland and now plays in League Two. Should he have stayed.

Come on, it's not a reason. If anything it highlights the lack of reason that we're having to go that far back to find one.
    We won't go up because Purrington gets a new contract.  Purrington getting a new contract won't stop us going up either.

The problem is he is our best left back, our best left sided center back (in a 3) and our second best left wing back.

6 loans, Watson and Souare is 8 already.  If we sign 10 new players and they are the same quantity as the 10 we signed last summer we won't go up with, or without, any of the current ones resigning.