Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thomas Sandgaard answers questions from supporters

Comments

• Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Davo55 said:
    One jarring note is that, in looking for a CEO to take over in due course, TS wants one that he is certain would make exactly the same decisions as himself. He has a worrying tendency to believe his perspective is the correct one at all times. A truly enlightened, successful leader would be open to discussion, consideration and appreciation of other views - and doing things differently.
    Excellent point @Davo55 ... and one that ties in with the inability to delegate.

Self-belief is one thing.  Arrogance is another.
    Especially when you haven't achieved anything in football yet. I've said that I don't doubt he has worked hard up to a point, but to me part of working hard is also listening to people. I wish he worked smarter not harder and just kept things SIMPLE
  • Options
    Watched the first 10 minutes or so and I thought his body language was shocking whilst answering the first question. He looked awkward, vague and struggling to put together an answer. Bit like am MP on BBC news in the morning.

It looks like the whole thing is wearing him down and I suspect he thought we would be further advanced than where we are.

Got bored after 11 minutes so switched it off.
  • Options
    This has gone smellier faster than even I would have predicted.

What was the purchase price he paid again?

I’m thinking he needs to find some other investors who know football and and can come on airs, ASAP.
  • Options
    Did he answer the one about the sun tan cream dispensing armpit?
  • Options
    boggzy said:
    I think our current best players (all 4 of them?!) are obvious squad back-ups for a serious promotion challenging side. Altho Dobson should start. Hopefully players like Washington and Gilbey would improve with better around them and claim their places. 

The likes of Matthews, Gunter, Pearce, Famewo, MacGillvary, Leko, Lee, Jaiyesimi, Aneke (I could go on) should be nowhere near next season's squad if we are serious about promotion.

I think this is spot on.

Problem is, Sandgaard would disagree completely.  He thinks we are a whisker away from top 2 next season and simply need improvements in infrastructure and individual coaching.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    boggzy said:
    I think our current best players (all 4 of them?!) are obvious squad back-ups for a serious promotion challenging side. Altho Dobson should start. Hopefully players like Washington and Gilbey would improve with better around them and claim their places. 

The likes of Matthews, Gunter, Pearce, Famewo, MacGillvary, Leko, Lee, Jaiyesimi, Aneke (I could go on) should be nowhere near next season's squad if we are serious about promotion.

I think this is spot on.

Problem is, Sandgaard would disagree completely.  He thinks we are a whisker away from top 2 next season and simply need improvements in infrastructure and individual coaching.
    He thought we had enough before the season started.  The major issue is if he came to that conclusion himself what will stop it happening again. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    boggzy said:

I think this is spot on.

He thought we had enough before the season started.  The major issue is if he came to that conclusion himself what will stop it happening again. 
    Nothing unfortunately 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Listened to the whole interview. Never commented as everything he said before we have before in various interviews and articles etc. Wasn’t anything new from TS. Not critical of TS at all, just don’t think I learnt anything new.
    Except he got the hump again when the previous debt question came up. 
    He backtracked on what he said previously and said anyone can look it up.
    We accrued £100M of debt in the 10 years prior to his takeover (or something like that for the pedantic). 
    That’s not true either. 

I think the operating losses from 2010 onwards would amount to about £100m, but as his original purpose was clearly to criticise the previous board and exclude Duchatelet that’s hardly the point. 

Once you add the player trading it’s more like £70m anyway.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    You know interest has really dropped off this season when no one has commented.

One of the most positive things is about 7 minutes in when TS says there might be a few out of contract players we’ll talk about extending. I’ll be concerned if we keep Matthews, Inniss, Pearce and Purrington, there’s a good case for releasing all four.
    Not watched it, and to be honest can't be bothered to watch it, but that to me is neither a positive or negative, but just normal.

Indeed if there are players we want to keep, it could be argued that we should have done it by now rather than waiting until late March
    Ideally but it’s normal at this level, the players you want to keep are likely to be the ones hoping for a Championship move or at least in no rush to sign to get the best possible deal.
    I keep banging on about it but right now I'd be sticking a 3+ year deal under Dobsons nose.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Really surprised at some of the comments regarding Purro on this thread.

Earlier this season he was in his natural position defending well, getting forward and even managed a couple of goals, then got some unknown reason Jackson dropped him for the league games and played him in the cup then recently he has played him out of position at CB.

Play him in his natural LB position and we have a very good player.

Without a shadow of a doubt he should be getting a new contract 
    We don't play with a LB anymore. 

He's a player that doesn't have a role in the squad so what's the point? 
  • Options
    Really surprised at some of the comments regarding Purro on this thread.

Earlier this season he was in his natural position defending well, getting forward and even managed a couple of goals, then got some unknown reason Jackson dropped him for the league games and played him in the cup then recently he has played him out of position at CB.

Play him in his natural LB position and we have a very good player.

Without a shadow of a doubt he should be getting a new contract 
    We don't play with a LB anymore. 

He's a player that doesn't have a role in the squad so what's the point? 
    Probably why JJ is giving him a run at LCB
  • Options
    It’s all opinion and some of us are of the opinion that we have 5-6 players that we can build a team around and some of us are of the opinion the 5-6 is 2 or 3 and that the ones we think are part of that 5-6 are squad players at best.

For me, it’s unlikely, but we need 5-6 high quality first team signings in the summer, that includes 2 full backs, 2 centre backs, a wide player and a top quality forward. 

Depending on Jackson’s set up, if we go 3-5-2 or 4-x-x, I only really feel with Dobson and Fraser he has the nucleus of a promotion pairing for central midfield.  I’m not even sure about Stockley, Aneke and Washington if he re-signs.  I’m certainly not sure about the wing back system with just CBT seemingly the only one who has performed adequately.  Then at centre back, I feel Clare is okay and I am willing to give Lavelle more time and Inniss the chance to prove his fitness (again), but I can’t be sure.

For TS.  I think this season has been a big learning curve and I hope he’s learned a lot and can adapt.  For context, I went to see Orient play today as my cousin supports them and writes the fanzine.  He’s relatively close to the set up there and he was telling me about a model of promotion every 3-4 years.  At the end of next season they will be at the end of their 4th season in League 2.  He told me about the set up and that they have U.S investors and a chairman who is an Orient fan.  The Chairman gets the club and understands the limitations, but he feels the other investors don’t.  His opinion of course, but I thought it was an interesting take.

We can’t fault TS’ financial input, but this summer is huge for him and us.  I don’t expect anything more of him in terms of stumping up more money.  Why should he?  We don’t have a right to expect the sort of investment he’s put in.  However, he also needs to realise, structural changes need to happen and if we don’t add 5/6 quality players, it won’t be enough.  
  • Options
    If we want to be challenging to be a top 2 side next season, we need 10 more wins than we’ve currently got, not impossible, but it needs a radical shakeup.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Did he answer the one about the sun tan cream dispensing armpit?
    Or the hand made of regenerating ham 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    cabbles said:
    It’s all opinion and some of us are of the opinion that we have 5-6 players that we can build a team around and some of us are of the opinion the 5-6 is 2 or 3 and that the ones we think are part of that 5-6 are squad players at best.

For me, it’s unlikely, but we need 5-6 high quality first team signings in the summer, that includes 2 full backs, 2 centre backs, a wide player and a top quality forward. 

Depending on Jackson’s set up, if we go 3-5-2 or 4-x-x, I only really feel with Dobson and Fraser he has the nucleus of a promotion pairing for central midfield.  I’m not even sure about Stockley, Aneke and Washington if he re-signs.  I’m certainly not sure about the wing back system with just CBT seemingly the only one who has performed adequately.  Then at centre back, I feel Clare is okay and I am willing to give Lavelle more time and Inniss the chance to prove his fitness (again), but I can’t be sure.

For TS.  I think this season has been a big learning curve and I hope he’s learned a lot and can adapt.  For context, I went to see Orient play today as my cousin supports them and writes the fanzine.  He’s relatively close to the set up there and he was telling me about a model of promotion every 3-4 years.  At the end of next season they will be at the end of their 4th season in League 2.  He told me about the set up and that they have U.S investors and a chairman who is an Orient fan.  The Chairman gets the club and understands the limitations, but he feels the other investors don’t.  His opinion of course, but I thought it was an interesting take.

We can’t fault TS’ financial input, but this summer is huge for him and us.  I don’t expect anything more of him in terms of stumping up more money.  Why should he?  We don’t have a right to expect the sort of investment he’s put in.  However, he also needs to realise, structural changes need to happen and if we don’t add 5/6 quality players, it won’t be enough.  
    Because we’d probably go bust if he doesn’t and he will lose what he’s already put in (if he hasn’t already). I’m not talking about squad investment but we will never close the operating deficit in the EFL, and certainly not in L1, other than through windfall transfer profits.

Even if the average (paid) gate rose by 10,000, it’s likely we’d still lose £4m a year (if the current gap is £8m).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My overall feeling is that I feel sorry for him really. He seems like such an open, frank person who's trying his best. The question is whether his best is good enough. My conclusion is that we'll need another 2 seasons of mediocrity while he works out realistically what to do about things, at which point he'll either sell the club, or make changes and be successful.
    I'm not expecting anything good to happen on the pitch with TS as owner until about 2024-25, if ever. Sorry to be so golfified.
    In that case can we get relegated next season ,followed by back to back promotions.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Watched it. Like his openness, he is desperate to do well and is investing in many many areas on the club. 

Still well in credit for me but we have to be fast out of the blocks with recruitment this summer. If not, then i'll start to wain. 

Did you think he was open? Personally I thought he was quite defensive and closed body language. Guess it depends on your overall impression of him maybe.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Because we’d probably go bust if he doesn’t and he will lose what he’s already put in (if he hasn’t already). I’m not talking about squad investment but we will never close the operating deficit in the EFL, and certainly not in L1, other than through windfall transfer profits.

Even if the average (paid) gate rose by 10,000, it’s likely we’d still lose £4m a year (if the current gap is £8m).
    Quite a depressing stat that Airman. So if I am reading that right we could add 10,000 to the gate, which lets be honest is never going to happen in League 1, but if it did we would still be £4m short. 

So the options are TS digs deep into his pocket or we sell any talent we have to show a profit of £4m in the transfer market.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    cabbles said:

Quite a depressing stat that Airman. So if I am reading that right we could add 10,000 to the gate, which lets be honest is never going to happen in League 1, but if it did we would still be £4m short. 

So the options are TS digs deep into his pocket or we sell any talent we have to show a profit of £4m in the transfer market.
    It’s just basic maths - 10,000 people x average £17.50 net x 23 games = £4m. 

And £17.50 is generous IMO.
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Watched it. Like his openness, he is desperate to do well and is investing in many many areas on the club. 

Still well in credit for me but we have to be fast out of the blocks with recruitment this summer. If not, then i'll start to wain. 

Did you think he was open? Personally I thought he was quite defensive and closed body language. Guess it depends on your overall impression of him maybe.
    Incredibly open, and has been from the start IMO.
  • Options
    He tries to be open and that's a good thing. My impression is that he's learning and he wants to keep as involved as possible until he feels the right structure is in place. He said as much regarding the bringing in of a CEO. He said, ultimately, he needs someone closer to things on a day to day basis but not at this time. I'm sure he's feeling things out. He's been through a lot since taking over the club. Principally COVID-19 and the debacle with Adkins. I'd be looking a bit shell shocked myself after all that to be honest but I do think he's committed and has a plan. Whether that plan is successful is another matter but I remain cautiously optimistic. We shall see. 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Maccn05 said:
    J BLOCK said:

Incredibly open, and has been from the start IMO.
    Fair enough.

I thought he again got shirty at the £100m loss/debt question and I thought he was defensive on the 5 year plan nonsense.

I also thought he was dismissive of some of the questions and didn’t provide much actual fact.

Either way none of these words or interviews really matter all that matters is he sorts things out this year  as another bottom half finish will not be acceptable.

Lets see what he comes up with