Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thomas Sandgaard answers questions from supporters

Comments

• Options
    Find it totally bizarre that whenever he communicates, fans line up to pick his words to pieces and critisise.  

One of the great moans at RD was that he did not communicate. Now we have an owner that does and he gets a load of grief over it.

I, for one, am glad we have an owner who is open and communicative.  Who has made money through legitimate means and who has taken to this club and ploughed in his hard earned.

He saved us from oblivion by purchasing a shell of a club with no players, no property assets, a very tricky legal / ownership background in the middle of Covid lockdowns.

Does the team need to do better, yes.  Has he made mistakes, yes. Will he continue to, yes.  But let's give the fella more than 18months or we just sound entitled and whiney.  

Fair points ... but don't overlook the overwhelming desire to provide the guy with the constructive advice that he obviously needs to minimise the future mistakes.

No-one doubts that Sandgaard is well-intentioned ... and, of course, we love him because he saved us from oblivion ... but don't turn off the tap of advice and suggestions.

Do that, and he will continue the spiral of under-achievement and financial loss.  And no-one wants that. 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    It’s all opinion and some of us are of the opinion that we have 5-6 players that we can build a team around and some of us are of the opinion the 5-6 is 2 or 3 and that the ones we think are part of that 5-6 are squad players at best.

For me, it’s unlikely, but we need 5-6 high quality first team signings in the summer, that includes 2 full backs, 2 centre backs, a wide player and a top quality forward. 

Depending on Jackson’s set up, if we go 3-5-2 or 4-x-x, I only really feel with Dobson and Fraser he has the nucleus of a promotion pairing for central midfield.  I’m not even sure about Stockley, Aneke and Washington if he re-signs.  I’m certainly not sure about the wing back system with just CBT seemingly the only one who has performed adequately.  Then at centre back, I feel Clare is okay and I am willing to give Lavelle more time and Inniss the chance to prove his fitness (again), but I can’t be sure.

For TS.  I think this season has been a big learning curve and I hope he’s learned a lot and can adapt.  For context, I went to see Orient play today as my cousin supports them and writes the fanzine.  He’s relatively close to the set up there and he was telling me about a model of promotion every 3-4 years.  At the end of next season they will be at the end of their 4th season in League 2.  He told me about the set up and that they have U.S investors and a chairman who is an Orient fan.  The Chairman gets the club and understands the limitations, but he feels the other investors don’t.  His opinion of course, but I thought it was an interesting take.

We can’t fault TS’ financial input, but this summer is huge for him and us.  I don’t expect anything more of him in terms of stumping up more money.  Why should he?  We don’t have a right to expect the sort of investment he’s put in.  However, he also needs to realise, structural changes need to happen and if we don’t add 5/6 quality players, it won’t be enough.  
    Because we’d probably go bust if he doesn’t and he will lose what he’s already put in (if he hasn’t already). I’m not talking about squad investment but we will never close the operating deficit in the EFL, and certainly not in L1, other than through windfall transfer profits.

Even if the average (paid) gate rose by 10,000, it’s likely we’d still lose £4m a year (if the current gap is £8m).
    For comparison my cousin said when Orient dropped to the conference, it went from something like £900k odd to £80k in tv money.  I agree with you that if he doesn’t continue to stump up sufficient funds he’ll lose what he’s put in, more so that I personally don’t expect him to keep spending money on us.  I have a fear that eventually he’ll get to a point where he’ll run us similar to Dutchatelet where he minimizes costs at his end to protect not losing what he’s put in, but, this time he, unlike Dutchatelet doesn’t have the luxury of owning the freehold to the ground and training ground.

Basically, if we don’t go up next season I think we’re screwed as I don’t think he’s got the money, nous or passion to carry us through another season in League one after this one 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    cabbles said:
    cabbles said:
    It’s all opinion and some of us are of the opinion that we have 5-6 players that we can build a team around and some of us are of the opinion the 5-6 is 2 or 3 and that the ones we think are part of that 5-6 are squad players at best.

For me, it’s unlikely, but we need 5-6 high quality first team signings in the summer, that includes 2 full backs, 2 centre backs, a wide player and a top quality forward. 

Depending on Jackson’s set up, if we go 3-5-2 or 4-x-x, I only really feel with Dobson and Fraser he has the nucleus of a promotion pairing for central midfield.  I’m not even sure about Stockley, Aneke and Washington if he re-signs.  I’m certainly not sure about the wing back system with just CBT seemingly the only one who has performed adequately.  Then at centre back, I feel Clare is okay and I am willing to give Lavelle more time and Inniss the chance to prove his fitness (again), but I can’t be sure.

For TS.  I think this season has been a big learning curve and I hope he’s learned a lot and can adapt.  For context, I went to see Orient play today as my cousin supports them and writes the fanzine.  He’s relatively close to the set up there and he was telling me about a model of promotion every 3-4 years.  At the end of next season they will be at the end of their 4th season in League 2.  He told me about the set up and that they have U.S investors and a chairman who is an Orient fan.  The Chairman gets the club and understands the limitations, but he feels the other investors don’t.  His opinion of course, but I thought it was an interesting take.

We can’t fault TS’ financial input, but this summer is huge for him and us.  I don’t expect anything more of him in terms of stumping up more money.  Why should he?  We don’t have a right to expect the sort of investment he’s put in.  However, he also needs to realise, structural changes need to happen and if we don’t add 5/6 quality players, it won’t be enough.  
    Because we’d probably go bust if he doesn’t and he will lose what he’s already put in (if he hasn’t already). I’m not talking about squad investment but we will never close the operating deficit in the EFL, and certainly not in L1, other than through windfall transfer profits.

Even if the average (paid) gate rose by 10,000, it’s likely we’d still lose £4m a year (if the current gap is £8m).
    For comparison my cousin said when Orient dropped to the conference, it went from something like £900k odd to £80k in tv money.  I agree with you that if he doesn’t continue to stump up sufficient funds he’ll lose what he’s put in, more so that I personally don’t expect him to keep spending money on us.  I have a fear that eventually he’ll get to a point where he’ll run us similar to Dutchatelet where he minimizes costs at his end to protect not losing what he’s put in, but, this time he, unlike Dutchatelet doesn’t have the luxury of owning the freehold to the ground and training ground.

Basically, if we don’t go up next season I think we’re screwed as I don’t think he’s got the money, nous or passion to carry us through another season in League one after this one 

Curiously, I'm less concerned that he'll dump us.

He is single-minded.  He had to be to ensure the takeover.  I think that he has the characteristic of the self-assured/arrogant ... not wanting to be seen to be wrong. 

So, in Sandgaard's mind, dumping us equates to an admission of failure.  Of course, if the money runs out, he may have no alternative.  But, as long as he is able, he will persist with the dream.

The solution to all this is for someone to get inside his head and explain that he needs different skill sets ... not to undermine him ... but to help him realise the dream. 

You don't have to go it alone, Thomas.  Get friends around you with complimentary skills to your own.

A team of eleven Sandgaards ... or eleven Ronaldos ... or eleven Messis (insert player of your choice) is going nowhere.  Ronaldo and Messi are lousy goalkeepers and lousy defenders.

You need a good goalkeeper, Thomas ... and maybe a few other players ... but you can bang the goals in up front.  OK?
  • Options
    I'm not worried about his intentions or his ambition, I just worry about his competency.

Not in general of course as he's a really successful businessman, but in the specific and very different world of British Football. An awful lot of successful businessmen have come a cropper because they didn't understand how football works or thought they could use the business practices they'd used elsewhere in what turned out to be a very different world.
  • Options
    Find it totally bizarre that whenever he communicates, fans line up to pick his words to pieces and critisise.  

One of the great moans at RD was that he did not communicate. Now we have an owner that does and he gets a load of grief over it.

I, for one, am glad we have an owner who is open and communicative.  Who has made money through legitimate means and who has taken to this club and ploughed in his hard earned.

He saved us from oblivion by purchasing a shell of a club with no players, no property assets, a very tricky legal / ownership background in the middle of Covid lockdowns.

Does the team need to do better, yes.  Has he made mistakes, yes. Will he continue to, yes.  But let's give the fella more than 18months or we just sound entitled and whiney.  
    Well said agree 100%
    I do too.   Best post on here
  • Options
    Nothing new here. Time now for some decisive action and statement of intent for next season. For me, I want to see;

1) Appointment of suitably qualified replacements for the departure of backroom staff in recent weeks (Parkes, Everett etc). The back-room team has been threadbare for too long and we can't afford anymore half-measures. 

2) If not bringing in a CEO, at least more clarity around the reporting structure. At the moment it seems loosey-goosey and too flat with most appearing to report directly to a largely absent owner who already has a full-time job. 

3) I think we need a far more knowledgeable Commercial lead that we currently have. We have witnessed over 12 months of very poor decision-making and U-turn after U-turn. Saying we have learnt lessons and will do better is almost timed out. Not sure we can afford to risk getting this wrong again. It really needs someone who has solid experience of doing this at another football club and preferably someone who can include informed supporters in the decision upfront to minimise the risk of getting it quite so badly wrong as we have in the recent past.

4) A new season ticket deal that is imaginative and avoids comparisons with existing pricing or the equivalent costs of having watched most games this season utilising discounts and freebies. As a minimum it would be a good idea to give a commitment on the Fill The Valley strategy for next season to reassure season ticket holders that they won't have to suffer what they have seen this season.

5) We need to keep the mass of half-arsed losing performances this season in mind when deciding who to keep and who has to go. There should be no room for sentiment or easy options. We can't afford to retain any passengers or those without the will to win - and there are lots of them.

6) Recruitment needs to be bold and, dare I say it, we need to splash some cash. Ideally we bring in two first choice goal-scorers (forwards who we can expect to be in the divisions Top 5 scorers, not the Top 20). We also need first choice wingers/wing-backs - CBT and Jayesimi need proper competition. I would also prioritise another first-choice centre-half and a back-up (expecting Famewo and Pearce to be moved on). We also need better than Purrington and Matthews

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Nothing new here. Time now for some decisive action and statement of intent for next season. For me, I want to see;

1) Appointment of suitably qualified replacements for the departure of backroom staff in recent weeks (Parkes, Everett etc). The back-room team has been threadbare for too long and we can't afford anymore half-measures. 

2) If not bringing in a CEO, at least more clarity around the reporting structure. At the moment it seems loosey-goosey and too flat with most appearing to report directly to a largely absent owner who already has a full-time job. 

3) I think we need a far more knowledgeable Commercial lead that we currently have. We have witnessed over 12 months of very poor decision-making and U-turn after U-turn. Saying we have learnt lessons and will do better is almost timed out. Not sure we can afford to risk getting this wrong again. It really needs someone who has solid experience of doing this at another football club and preferably someone who can include informed supporters in the decision upfront to minimise the risk of getting it quite so badly wrong as we have in the recent past.

4) A new season ticket deal that is imaginative and avoids comparisons with existing pricing or the equivalent costs of having watched most games this season utilising discounts and freebies. As a minimum it would be a good idea to give a commitment on the Fill The Valley strategy for next season to reassure season ticket holders that they won't have to suffer what they have seen this season.

5) We need to keep the mass of half-arsed losing performances this season in mind when deciding who to keep and who has to go. There should be no room for sentiment or easy options. We can't afford to retain any passengers or those without the will to win - and there are lots of them.

6) Recruitment needs to be bold and, dare I say it, we need to splash some cash. Ideally we bring in two first choice goal-scorers (forwards who we can expect to be in the divisions Top 5 scorers, not the Top 20). We also need first choice wingers/wing-backs - CBT and Jayesimi need proper competition. I would also prioritise another first-choice centre-half and a back-up (expecting Famewo and Pearce to be moved on). We also need better than Purrington and Matthews

As far as 3) is concerned, I wouldn't underestimate the challenge for whoever is in that role of managing upwards, for the same reason that TS doesn't want a chief executive.
  • Options
    He’s a bit of a control freak isn’t he .
    the Charlton freak show wibble bus rolls on 

he’s about as flexible as my Mrs when it comes to making decisions ffs 

• Options
    edited March 2022
    He did seem a bit more stiff and closed in his body language, he barely moved in the whole interview. He was clearly defensive on the debt issue and talked over Lucy when she was trying to clarify, it touched a nerve for sure. I thought Lucy was a great interviewer and didnt shy away from hitting him with the more awkward questions. 

Still, I like the guy and for now Im happy with him being the owner. Next season will be the big test and if we have another poor season, the fan base as a whole could really start to turn on him I think. Be interested to see what the reaction is if he does increase the season ticket prices. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Surely the real reason for the lack of early activity is that we lost out to other clubs for the best free signings?

Wigan for example signed 6 players on the 1st July on frees, and brought in 3 more (2 frees, 1 fee) in the next 2 weeks. They brought in 9 permanent players in July  - all first teamers - and only 4 in August

By contrast excluding U23 signings, we brought in just 4 players in July
  • Options
    Surely the real reason for the lack of early activity is that we lost out to other clubs for the best free signings?

Wigan for example signed 6 players on the 1st July on frees, and brought in 3 more (2 frees, 1 fee) in the next 2 weeks. They brought in 9 permanent players in July  - all first teamers - and only 4 in August

By contrast excluding U23 signings, we brought in just 4 players in July
    That's probably one of the reasons.  There are probably half a dozen. 

They thought our senior u23s were better than they were. 
    They thought Amos and Aneke would stay.
    They under estimated Ipswich and Wigan's spending power. 
    They over estimated the "black box" and ended up resorting to Gallen's little black book that was already over used.
    They were too many people having a say and slowing it all down. 
    They under estimated how far short we really were. 

They may not always be the same they.  Who "they" were and if the lessons have been learnt are the key. 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Scoham said:
    I sympathise with this, I do think that a lot of factors are outside of our control. Unfortunately this is the arena that the football leagues have designed and it all works in the agent's favour.

But while I'm no expert in negotiation, I wonder why we are letting agents drag us along like this. 

Is there not value in saying, OK, we'll meet your ask, but you've got 2 days to sign or we're moving on to other targets. Then the agent and player have to decide if they want to risk trying to get a better deal or not. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    I sympathise with this, I do think that a lot of factors are outside of our control. Unfortunately this is the arena that the football leagues have designed and it all works in the agent's favour.

But while I'm no expert in negotiation, I wonder why we are letting agents drag us along like this. 

Is there not value in saying, OK, we'll meet your ask, but you've got 2 days to sign or we're moving on to other targets. Then the agent and player have to decide if they want to risk trying to get a better deal or not. 
    Other clubs manage to be ready to go at the start of the season. I wouldn't mind if we were still waiting on two better loan players when the season starts but last Summer was a joke. Adkins barely had eleven first-team choices and was forced to play players out-of-position and I think from memory, we failed to field a full list of subs in some games. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Scoham said:

Other clubs manage to be ready to go at the start of the season. I wouldn't mind if we were still waiting on two better loan players when the season starts but last Summer was a joke. Adkins barely had eleven first-team choices and was forced to play players out-of-position and I think from memory, we failed to field a full list of subs in some games. 
    That's our bench from the first game of the season. 

• Options

I do think that feels increasingly good at the moment. The Abramovich stuff has put a lot of people who aren't interested in football onto the subject of ownership and I've ended up in conversations about it that I've not usually had outside of general football chat. Inevitably that conversation ticks over into asking how the club I support's owner made his money. It's honestly pretty nice to be able to say he built a business off the back of making pain relief devices to support people suffering from physical and neurological ailments. There can't be many owners with wealth built off such a positive contribution to the world. He might not be the richest game going but at least we know the money came from something decent.
    Very valid point
  • Options
    Kids and two old boys covering that bench!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dave2l said:
    The club was in a huge state and it was a big mess, after 19/20 season.

League one is where we now belong. I suggest getting behind supporting the players and do not overboil in taking things too seriously. I know it's easier said then done.

Within the club, it may take a while to drain the bad vibes. We need to hit the 80-90 point target.

None of us want another playoff drama.

We want and need to finish 1st or 2nd.

I believe we CAN do it and I think it is achievable within the next 3 or 4 years.
    This is true but on the playing side it wasn't a mess at the end of the 20/21 season.

We aren't suffering because we have got loads of players clogging up the squad that we're signed pre summer 2020.  I think we only have 4 players that haven't signed or resigned since Thomas bought the club.  We have spent an absolute fortune on wages and got worse, that's no mean feat in the 3rd division. 
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

League one is where we now belong. I suggest getting behind supporting the players and do not overboil in taking things too seriously. I know it's easier said then done.

Within the club, it may take a while to drain the bad vibes. We need to hit the 80-90 point target.

I believe we CAN do it and I think it is achievable within the next 3 or 4 years.
    Blimey in 3-4 years time we can think about getting promoted?! Meaning 6 years since Thomas bought us.... I thought it was the Prem in 5 years.

That's a really depressing future that we have and would mean TS loses another £24-32m covering our losses, do you really think he'll still be here after that.

lastly why does it take us 5 years in your opinion to get out of this league when it's taken Wigan one from an even worse position than us? 

Not having a go, just keen to understand your thinking. Thx.
  • Options
    A club of our size can build a promotion squad in one summer. Not saying we will or it’s easy but we should never be thinking we need to build a good squad over a few seasons. One reason being if you don’t get promoted good players will move on. That’s also what makes it doable in one summer, not all the clubs who are doing well now will be doing just as well next season.
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Dave2l said:

Blimey in 3-4 years time we can think about getting promoted?! Meaning 6 years since Thomas bought us.... I thought it was the Prem in 5 years.

That's a really depressing future that we have and would mean TS loses another £24-32m covering our losses, do you really think he'll still be here after that.

lastly why does it take us 5 years in your opinion to get out of this league when it's taken Wigan one from an even worse position than us? 

Don't mean to answer for the OP but it doesn't look like Sandgaard is going to spend the money to have an instant change of fortunes. Wigan spent the money to get instant results, although as we know it's not guaranteed, look at Ipswich. I too think we're going to be here for a few more years and are heavily reliant on 4/5 youngsters stepping up, whether that's to improve the team or be sold to fund squad strengthening. The only way I can see us getting a bit lucky and doing it sooner is if we make outstanding loan standings like our previous promotion winning season. 
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Dave2l said:

Because I believe the club is in an unusual frustrating fragile state.

If promotion is continuously fully expected....then I can't see it happening. The instant pressure and expectation will likely have an opposing affect.

The players we currently have can't live up to those expectations and they are not at the required standard.

They need backing and they need support.

If players show minimal effort on the pitch and without giving a shit about anything other than themselves. Then they need to be booted out.

Fans do play a key part. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dave2l said:

This is true but on the playing side it wasn't a mess at the end of the 20/21 season.

We aren't suffering because we have got loads of players clogging up the squad that we're signed pre summer 2020.  I think we only have 4 players that haven't signed or resigned since Thomas bought the club.  We have spent an absolute fortune on wages and got worse, that's no mean feat in the 3rd division. 
    That's why the summer was so disappointing, as we finished 20/21 very positively with 1 defeat in the last 15 games, i.e. promotion form. 7th place with 74 points, only missing the playoffs on GD. 

The vibes were really positive, we looked like a club going places, that would be attractive for new signings. 

Instead we had a terrible summer, and started the season dreadfully, losing all the positivity we had built up under Adkins.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Two best days of Charlton supporting for me are ultimate Play Off drama.  More of the same and I would be incredibly happy. 😃
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Maccn05 said:
    Dave2l said:

Don't mean to answer for the OP but it doesn't look like Sandgaard is going to spend the money to have an instant change of fortunes. Wigan spent the money to get instant results, although as we know it's not guaranteed, look at Ipswich. I too think we're going to be here for a few more years and are heavily reliant on 4/5 youngsters stepping up, whether that's to improve the team or be sold to fund squad strengthening. The only way I can see us getting a bit lucky and doing it sooner is if we make outstanding loan standings like our previous promotion winning season. 

It's always going to be a tough decision but I saw it as a false economy - because if you'd spent £2-3m and gone up this year, then  net losses would have been £11m (£8m+£3m) Next year being in this league you will lose another £6-8m so potentially £14-16m in total and another £6-8m every season onwards.

That's why I always thought the blow the league strategy was right, like Wigan and even Ipswich may still make it this year but even if they don't they are very well positioned for next season.

Unfortunately we made a right cock up of it but increasing expectations massively and then recruiting terribly. Shame really given we were so close last season.

If we are still in this league in 4-5 seasons time it will not be the same club, the luster will have gone about being a big L1 club and we could be on a slippery slope with a massive, expensive stadium (and rent) and nobody coming to watch.

Lets hope lessons have been learned.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    How much have Rotherham spent? 

I read a lot of comments about us not spending enough. But don't we have highest net spend in league one and the third highest playing budget? When you've got clubs like Wigan and Ipswich burning through cash, that should be good enough. Can hardly say we have scrimped.