Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• edited July 2022
    There's 5 subs to be used this year and Aneke will be one of them.
    He's proven to make an impact from the bench, a game changer even - there's goals in that boy and often opponents find him unplayable.

Okay, fitness is an issue and his new manager even said that Chuks is "deconditioned".
    But assuming he stays away from long term injury and only as available as his previous full season here, he's likely to be available for a large number of games.

Sure, some people will say that I'm making an assumption ...... but it's no more or less valid than those saying he'll never be fit enough to make an impact.
    Let's see how it pans out.

• Lots of talk about Anekes effectiveness from the bench. In the past he has been effective when he has come on for the last 30 minutes against a tiring defence. I wonder how effective is he going to be this season when with 5 subs available, that defence might not quite so tired as previously?
  • Scoham said:

When they used 4-3-3 McKirdy played out wide and he scored 21 in the league.

You don't score 21 from out wide unless you take up fairly central position when it comes in from the opposite flank. Unless your Mahrez !  Would need to check out to see if he did pick up the ball wide and what angle he shot from. Definitely a goal scoring forward who can go wide and central like a Grant, Taylor  did and Mckirdy sounds like he fits the bill.
  • Get CBT on the right. Let Kirk/DJ battle out the left. 

Who would compete with CBT for the right forward spot?
  • Scoham said:

When they used 4-3-3 McKirdy played out wide and he scored 21 in the league.

You don't score 21 from out wide unless you take up fairly central position when it comes in from the opposite flank. Unless your Mahrez !  Would need to check out to see if he did pick up the ball wide and what angle he shot from. Definitely a goal scoring forward who can go wide and central like a Grant, Taylor  did and Mckirdy sounds like he fits the bill.
    He scored a lot of poachers goals inside the box. If we sign him or similar then on paper they’ll be playing one of the wide roles in the front three.

https://youtu.be/p-Yc6bFuW-U
  • edited July 2022
    One thing is for sure, we are going to need goals from the midfield. The only players who might get a lot and I use the word might are Gilbey and or Payne for me. Primarily Gilbey, as he buys a ticket more than most. JFC gives you shots/free kicks. But two of those probably won't start. 
  • Lots of talk about Anekes effectiveness from the bench. In the past he has been effective when he has come on for the last 30 minutes against a tiring defence. I wonder how effective is he going to be this season when with 5 subs available, that defence might not quite so tired as previously?
    Assuming Chuks would be up against one of the opposing teams centre backs then i'm not sure they would be subbed. I've no figures to back this up at all but i'm sure most teams don't tend to sub their centre backs. Unless they were injured or having a shocker in which case we'd likely be winning and Aneke might not even need to be on.
    The year he scored 15 goals mostly from the bench was a year where 5 subs were allowed. Teams don’t usually like to substitute defenders anyway, especially centre backs, unless they have too
  • No talk of a left back is a bit odd aswell, would have been nice to have had a complete balanced back four going into the first game. 
  • Sponsored links:

• One thing is for sure, we are going to need goals from the midfield. The only players who might get a lot and I use the word might is Gilbey and or Payne for me. Primarily as he buys a ticket more than most. JFC gives you shots/free kicks. But two of those probably won't start. 
    Payne was Swindon’s next top scorer with 13 and a few other midfielders got around 4 or 5 (including Williams).

Between Payne, Fraser, McGrandles and Gilbey If things go well and we’re creating enough good chances I could see one of them getting around double figures with others chipping in a few here and there.
  • I wonder if we are looking at any potential Tottenham loanees……….
  • Scoham said:
    One thing is for sure, we are going to need goals from the midfield. The only players who might get a lot and I use the word might is Gilbey and or Payne for me. Primarily as he buys a ticket more than most. JFC gives you shots/free kicks. But two of those probably won't start. 
    Payne was Swindon’s next top scorer with 13 and a few other midfielders got around 4 or 5 (including Williams).

Between Payne, Fraser, McGrandles and Gilbey If things go well and we’re creating enough good chances I could see one of them getting around double figures with others chipping in a few here and there.
    It is quite possible we might need 40 plus goals from those players.
  • Bods64 said:
    I wonder if we are looking at any potential Tottenham loanees……….
    The last one was a roaring success........

Spurs are a club who don't really seem to have that many good youngsters, certainly nowhere near the level of City, Chelsea and Arsenal.
  • RC_CAFC said:
    Chucks is an absolute shambles for our club the decision to bring him home was a shocker. How we are going into the season relying on this injury prone player says we are not going anywhere fast
    Chuks gives us something that no other club has and I think that he is an invaluable part of the squad. If we still only had 3 subs then he is more of a luxury, but now you have 5 from 7 it is brilliant to have someone of that strength and quality to bring off the bench against tiring defenders. Am hoping he will really prosper with the way we are going to play this year tiring out the opposition with a high pressing possession based game.
    IF he is fit to play.

Will be interesting to see if the scan he is having shows anything up that will keep him out for weeks months
  • Scoham said:
    One thing is for sure, we are going to need goals from the midfield. The only players who might get a lot and I use the word might is Gilbey and or Payne for me. Primarily as he buys a ticket more than most. JFC gives you shots/free kicks. But two of those probably won't start. 

It is quite possible we might need 40 plus goals from those players.
    Which doesn’t feel realistic and why we need that McKirdy type out wide.
  • That was largely my point Chris. If they did have any we wouldn’t use them anyway!
  • Anonymous Facebook poster (didn’t know that was a feature) says we’re signing Rak-Sakyi this week.

• " I Believe Charlton are interested" suddenly turns into "Deal set to be agreed before the Accrington game" 

Has this poster got any form ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Hard to accept but Charlton should definitely be cultivating a relationship with Palace with a view to loans. They bring through a lot of good young players and we are close enough to be ideal for many of their loans. Easy for the loanee and easy for palace to keep good tabs. 
  • Scoham said:
    Anonymous Facebook poster (didn’t know that was a feature) says we’re signing Rak-Sakyi this week.

Really hope it's true.
  • " I Believe Charlton are interested" suddenly turns into "Deal set to be agreed before the Accrington game" 

Has this poster got any form ?
    No idea since they’re anonymous, something that wasn’t previously possible.
  • edited July 2022
    Richard J said:
    Rak Sakri would be a great signing.He first impressed me at the friendly at Selhurst Park last season.
    I'm actually surprised they're not looking to try and get him a championship loan. England U20 international, already made his PL debut, he should be very good in league one.

Amazing skill on the ball, and could be an X factor player but I didn't see him getting clobbered by hairy arsed League 1 defenders ! In the clips I watched it appeared to be against 18's or 21's sides.

Winger/forward type but not sure if he would be too much of a loose cannon but talented feet for sure.
  • Hard to accept but Charlton should definitely be cultivating a relationship with Palace with a view to loans. They bring through a lot of good young players and we are close enough to be ideal for many of their loans. Easy for the loanee and easy for palace to keep good tabs. 

Agree.
    Big Ryan Inniss can scout for us at his old hunting ground in Beckenham to keep him occupied when he recovering from muscle injuries which affect him for 33 games a season.
  • Richard J said:
    Scoham said:
    Anonymous Facebook poster (didn’t know that was a feature) says we’re signing Rak-Sakyi this week.

Really hope it's true.
    Get him on board before the good 🚢 leaves port.

If he's good with his feet and can play a forward role, that'll do for me at this stage, unless we really want to wait until late on again hoping  the new messiah becomes available for a  bargain basement fee. We need options.

In any case, no hit to squad capacity so possibly worth a roll of the 🎲
  • Richard J said:
    Rak Sakri would be a great signing.He first impressed me at the friendly at Selhurst Park last season.
    I'm actually surprised they're not looking to try and get him a championship loan. England U20 international, already made his PL debut, he should be very good in league one.

Amazing skill on the ball, and could be an X factor player but I didn't see him getting clobbered by hairy arsed League 1 defenders in the clips I watched when it appeared to be against 18's or 21's sides.

Winger/forward type but not sure if he would be too much of a loose cannon but talented feet for sure.

From the clips he looks like a more polished version of DJ. Would be quite excited if we managed this. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    mart77 said:
    Chucks is an absolute shambles for our club the decision to bring him home was a shocker. How we are going into the season relying on this injury prone player says we are not going anywhere fast
    Chuks will be ideal for 30 minute cameos, especially with 5 subs now being allowed. The thing that a lot of us seem to feel is that we need at least one other striker who can play a whole game. FWIW I think we’ll sign a striker and an attacking forward/winger but we’ll have to make a couple of tough calls to balance the books. Ultimately I think we have to back Garner. 
    mart77 said:
    Chuks will be ideal for 30 minute cameos, especially with 5 subs now being allowed. The thing that a lot of us seem to feel is that we need at least one other striker who can play a whole game. FWIW I think we’ll sign a striker and an attacking forward/winger but we’ll have to make a couple of tough calls to balance the books. Ultimately I think we have to back Garner. 
    Who wants a cameo player? Put it this way I bet BG would rather have his wages and the £300k to invest than be stuck with someone who unfortunately just cannot be relied on at anytime 
    You always have a striker on the bench.  You bring them on 90% of the time.....

At 1-1 or 1-0 either way would you rather bring on Chuks, Washington or Davison?  If your doing that 35 times a season what's the problem? 
    You do indeed. The thing is that striker you bring on 90% of the time also usually ends up filling in for 90 minutes when others are suspended, injured, or it’s a busy schedule and they need a rest.

Aneke cant do any of them. Aneke can’t even get through a pre season where there’s less intensity and his minutes were more
    managed than any other player. 
    That's why you need at least 1 more striker. Someone to replace/alternate with Stockley and that can play 90 mins week in & week out. Then you have Aneke to come off the bench for 20-30 mins. With 5 subs allowed to come on surely you can have 2 out & out strikers in your 7 man bench. 
  • cabbles said:
    The thing about the striker/forward situation for me is that I truly believe (however unlikely it is now looking), that we need/ed someone better than both Stockley and Aneke to get us out of this league.  
    I've been saying this since May. Keep being told we dont need strikers in a Ben Garner team & that the wide men/wingers/ attacking midfielders will score instead. From what I've seen only Payne will fill that role as CBT, Gilbey,Morgan ,Fraser & DJ have shown that they really dont own a pair of Billy's boots.