Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• I may be wrong, but I think that if you want to play passing/pressing football with quality it is normally more expensive than clear short cuts like long ball for instance or even more conventional systems. That is because more skilful players cost more surprisingly enough! And weak links spoil the passing, basically you need more quality players. This is fine, but if you don't fund this style, surely we would have been better trying to identify the biggest gaps/issues last season and resolve them or get loads of cheaper athletic players and bully the crap out of opponents.

When Wilder got out of League One with Sheff United - he had one talented player (Blonde no.7, can't recall his name) and the rest were physical bullies. 
    Wilder’s Sheff Utd played 5-3-2/3-5-2 using overlapping centre backs, you’re not going to make a system like that work so well without intelligence and technical ability. It worked so well they won two promotions in three years and then finished in the top half of the Prem.
  • edited July 2022
    He improved the team through that period. I'm not saying they were donkeys but they were a physical side and bullied teams. I saw it for myself. Nothing wrong with that btw. I like it.
  • edited July 2022
    He improved the team through that period. I'm not saying they were donkeys but they were a physical side and bullied teams. I saw it for myself. Nothing wrong with that btw. I like it.
    You literally just said they had one talented player, and the reason they got out the league was because they were ‘physical bullies’ - when the team played a complete opposite style to that. 
  • Mark Duffy - that was the player. Did you not see them bully us off the park at the Valley? Maybe you didn't go.
    This one?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38035539

Foley, Crofts, Pearce, Fox and an ageing Jackson all starting, I’m not surprised. A top L1 team is going to be far too quick for a team like that, never mind the lack of ability and attacking threat across that XI.
  • edited July 2022
    You literally just said they had one talented player, and the reason they got out the league was because they were ‘physical bullies’ - when the team played a complete opposite style to that. 
    Yes, I didn't say they couldn't kick a ball or were donkies.
  • If you look at McCarthy's teams you will see a similar approach.
  • Rak Sakri would be a great signing.He first impressed me at the friendly at Selhurst Park last season.
  • far too good for 23s so a loan move is needed.
    Put it this way, he won PL2 player of the season, which was won by Balogun the year before, who then was a regular starter on loan at Middlesbrough last season.
  • Sponsored links:

• mart77 said:
    Chucks is an absolute shambles for our club the decision to bring him home was a shocker. How we are going into the season relying on this injury prone player says we are not going anywhere fast
    Chuks will be ideal for 30 minute cameos, especially with 5 subs now being allowed. The thing that a lot of us seem to feel is that we need at least one other striker who can play a whole game. FWIW I think we’ll sign a striker and an attacking forward/winger but we’ll have to make a couple of tough calls to balance the books. Ultimately I think we have to back Garner. 
    mart77 said:
    Chucks is an absolute shambles for our club the decision to bring him home was a shocker. How we are going into the season relying on this injury prone player says we are not going anywhere fast
    Chuks will be ideal for 30 minute cameos, especially with 5 subs now being allowed. The thing that a lot of us seem to feel is that we need at least one other striker who can play a whole game. FWIW I think we’ll sign a striker and an attacking forward/winger but we’ll have to make a couple of tough calls to balance the books. Ultimately I think we have to back Garner. 
    Who wants a cameo player? Put it this way I bet BG would rather have his wages and the £300k to invest than be stuck with someone who unfortunately just cannot be relied on at anytime 
    Put it this way, he won PL2 player of the season, which was won by Balogun the year before, who then was a regular starter on loan at Middlesbrough last season.
    I like how he seems comfortable taking up positions centrally as well being able to take on people down the flanks. It’s something I’ve noticed about McKirdy when I’ve looked at his highlights, and it’s something I think we are missing as alluded to in my earlier post about Stockley.

Can’t remember once really seeing Kirk or CBT take up a central position.
  • He improved the team through that period. I'm not saying they were donkeys but they were a physical side and bullied teams. I saw it for myself. Nothing wrong with that btw. I like it.
    They were physical and talented. 

I don’t think just being athletic is enough anymore league 1 is worlds away from what it was 10 years ago in terms of talent and quality.

if we want to go up and stay up, I think we need to do it the right way, much like Wilder did, not with “one talented player” and some athletes. 
  • edited July 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    mart77 said:
    mart77 said:
    Who wants a cameo player? Put it this way I bet BG would rather have his wages and the £300k to invest than be stuck with someone who unfortunately just cannot be relied on at anytime 
    You always have a striker on the bench.  You bring them on 90% of the time.....

At 1-1 or 1-0 either way would you rather bring on Chuks, Washington or Davison?  If your doing that 35 times a season what's the problem? 
    You do indeed. The thing is that striker you bring on 90% of the time also usually ends up filling in for 90 minutes when others are suspended, injured, or it’s a busy schedule and they need a rest.

Aneke cant do any of them. Aneke can’t even get through a pre season where there’s less intensity and his minutes were more
    managed than any other player. 
    I like how he seems comfortable taking up positions centrally as well being able to take on people down the flanks. It’s something I’ve noticed about McKirdy when I’ve looked at his highlights, and it’s something I think we are missing as alluded to in my earlier post about Stockley.

I think that is more DJs game and how he is used best. But he’s still not that good and Rak-Sakyi is probably a lot better. In the Colchester game I noticed a few times DJ looked like he was playing as an attacking midfielder with Clayden so far forward being the outlet on the left meaning DJ could drift centrally 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    mart77 said:
    mart77 said:
    You always have a striker on the bench.  You bring them on 90% of the time.....

At 1-1 or 1-0 either way would you rather bring on Chuks, Washington or Davison?  If your doing that 35 times a season what's the problem? 
    Chuks but that only works if he's fit enough to be on the bench.

Don't think anyone else has mentioned it on CL but his fitness record isn't good, you know.

Chuks was due to have a scan today.  We shall see soon enough if it was just a precaution or if he's going to miss games.
  • NabySarr said:
    far too good for 23s so a loan move is needed.

I think that is more DJs game and how he is used best. But he’s still not that good and Rak-Sakyi is probably a lot better. In the Colchester game I noticed a few times DJ looked like he was playing as an attacking midfielder with Clayden so far forward being the outlet on the left meaning DJ could drift centrally 
    Yeah indeed. I thought the same with the Kilmarnock game - almost felt like Aneke and DJ were playing behind Davison-Ponytail. 
  • Sponsored links:

• cabbles said:
    The thing about the striker/forward situation for me is that I truly believe (however unlikely it is now looking), that we need/ed someone better than both Stockley and Aneke to get us out of this league.  
    Wigan got promoted with both there main strikers scoring 15 and 12.

Rotherham had 19 and 11

Sunderland 24 and 10.

Stockley if he remains fit and plays a full season could get 15, same with Aneke.

I think we need to see more goal contributions from our wingers and midfielders if anything. Which we may get under Ben Garner’s attacking football (though conversely we may get less goals from Stockley because of the system).
  • cabbles said:
    The thing about the striker/forward situation for me is that I truly believe (however unlikely it is now looking), that we need/ed someone better than both Stockley and Aneke to get us out of this league.  
    Wigan got promoted with both there main strikers scoring 15 and 12.

Rotherham had 19 and 11

Sunderland 24 and 10.

Stockley if he remains fit and plays a full season could get 15, same with Aneke.

I think we need to see more goal contributions from our wingers and midfielders if anything. Which we may get under Ben Garner’s attacking football (though conversely we may get less goals from Stockley because of the system).
    Our strike force as it stands will be the reason we do not compete at the top of the division sadly. Asking Stockley to drop in,control, pass and then get himself into the box continuously in a game is a stretch to say the least, Aneke just don’t see the point on relying on him whatsoever, how many games do we expect Aneke to play for for his 15 goals, in fact it’s not even games it’s minutes. 
  • Richard J said:
    Rak Sakri would be a great signing.He first impressed me at the friendly at Selhurst Park last season.
    I'm actually surprised they're not looking to try and get him a championship loan. England U20 international, already made his PL debut, he should be very good in league one.
  • Leuth said:
    Aneke is a fucking cheat code and we are lucky to have him. If he plays 20 minutes every 3 games, that is 20 minutes where we are so much more likely to score 
    Not a cheat code if he doesn’t score,gets frustrated like he does and either gets taken off or sent off. He is a complete luxury, but we haven’t got other forwards that should allow us that luxury. As it stands more of an own goal!!🤣
  • Leuth said:
    Aneke is a fucking cheat code and we are lucky to have him. If he plays 20 minutes every 3 games, that is 20 minutes where we are so much more likely to score 
    Mate apart from your view on Gilbey ( where we differ ) I normally agree with your posts. However this one is just silly ! How can you claim that if a player is on the pitch 20 mins out of a possible 270 is acceptable is beyond me ... sorry
  • Richard J said:
    Rak Sakri would be a great signing.He first impressed me at the friendly at Selhurst Park last season.
    I'm actually surprised they're not looking to try and get him a championship loan. England U20 international, already made his PL debut, he should be very good in league one.
    I guess on your first loan, you're really looking to be given first team football and maybe that wouldn't be so guaranteed in the Championship. We have had a few first loans over the last few years and they do seem to do better when they are nearer home. It could definitely be one to suit all parties. We'll just have to swallow that we're in a position to be taking Palace youngsters...