Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• NabySarr said:
    Genuine question as I'm not too clued up on FFP etc - by all accounts people like Wednesday, Ipswich etc are spending more, we've made.money on Burstow, Pope,.we've signed free transfers so far etc... how are we close to being in breach of them?
    Their income will still be higher than ours I would guess. Not sure we can use Burstow money as it counts to last year and as people have said we might only get the Pope money in instalments. The rule is we can spend 60% of our turnover on player wages, I am also a bit surprised we are already at that limit as we’ve had bigger squads at L1 level previously and these have always been the rules apart from the year they brought in the salary cap 
    What's the penalty for exceeding the cap ? 
    Transfer embargo’s and points deductions. I think Reading broke the championships rules and got both those punishments
  • Ever since we had an injury crisis a few years ago, we've consistently had too many midfielders in the squad, relative to other positions. We've struggled in midfield, so we keep adding new options, without removing the old ones.

In the second half of last season we had Dobson, Gilbey, Fraser, Morgan as regulars plus Lee who sometimes played there, Clare who was moved to defence, Watson who was still on the books and Nile John who never troubled the Valley grass.

We lost Watson, John and Lee, but to the main 4 added JFC back from injury, McGrandles and Payne, still have Clare as an option and have the likes of Henry available too. Indeed I bet Sessegnon would be very comfortable in midfield too. That's far too many, in relation to other parts of the squad.
  • Can’t believe Garner is so thick to go into the season with just 2 experienced strikers, particularly with one almost permanently injured.

Its another season where it looks like we start with a massive weakness in an unbalanced squad, even before more injuries/ suspensions kick in.

Transfer window don’t shut till
    end of Aug .. 
    Also 75% of the football league are in the market for a striker. 
  • J BLOCK said:
    I'm scratching my head a little bit as to how we are seemingly at the salary cap limit? 
    Yeah... Nine First-Team players released or sold last summer (including some players who must have been on high wages, e.g. Watson | Gunter | Matthews | Washington) - Yet we've only signed five players.

The only ridiculous reason I can think of (but we've seen some really stupid rules in League One of late), is released player wages dont count towards the percentage of turnover, so had we sold Washington, the money for him would have counted. Instead because we've released him, we've basically reduced what we can spend.
    I get you're trying to think outside the box but I don't think that would be the case at all. The amount of playing turnover in Leagues 1 and 2, mostly on loan/free is way too big for that criteria to work. 

It's obviously a real concern but I'm with J Block, I cannot understand how this is affecting us. Unless it's a ploy from Sandgaard to get another couple of thousand season tickets sold!
    Yeah thats very true actually - thats a relief.

Certainly agree with J Block as well, as the nine gone vs five incoming really doesnt add up
    It really doesn't add up, I can't see any reason for any of the five to be on particularly lucrative contracts. Four were stepping up from League 2, McGrandles probably the highest of the five. And I know Swindon are one of the richer clubs in League 2, but I believe they offered both Egbo and Payne more money than we did. So it sounds like we've been a bit tight with the wages all summer to be honest. 
  • J BLOCK said:
    I'm scratching my head a little bit as to how we are seemingly at the salary cap limit? 
    Yeah... Nine First-Team players released or sold last summer (including some players who must have been on high wages, e.g. Watson | Gunter | Matthews | Washington) - Yet we've only signed five players.

The only ridiculous reason I can think of (but we've seen some really stupid rules in League One of late), is released player wages dont count towards the percentage of turnover, so had we sold Washington, the money for him would have counted. Instead because we've released him, we've basically reduced what we can spend.
    I get you're trying to think outside the box but I don't think that would be the case at all. The amount of playing turnover in Leagues 1 and 2, mostly on loan/free is way too big for that criteria to work. 

It's obviously a real concern but I'm with J Block, I cannot understand how this is affecting us. Unless it's a ploy from Sandgaard to get another couple of thousand season tickets sold!

Certainly agree with J Block as well, as the nine gone vs five incoming really doesnt add up
    It really doesn't add up, I can't see any reason for any of the five to be on particularly lucrative contracts. Four were stepping up from League 2, McGrandles probably the highest of the five. And I know Swindon are one of the richer clubs in League 2, but I believe they offered both Egbo and Payne more money than we did. So it sounds like we've been a bit tight with the wages all summer to be honest. 
    What's wrong with that? Nothing bad about tighting the purse strings.

I really can't see us without another forward player come the 1st of September. 
  • J BLOCK said:

What's wrong with that? Nothing bad about tighting the purse strings.

I really can't see us without another forward player come the 1st of September. 
    I never said there was anything wrong with it. 
  • We could be nowhere near the cap and its a just a move to pay as little as we can for our targets? We seem to have been much more savvy this window than previous seasons.
    You beat me to it. He’s hardly going to be shouting, we’ve got LOADS of money! 

I don’t know if by the end of this window we’ll have a squad to challenge for promotion, but we are light years ahead in terms of structure, players and vision from this time last year.

I am sure the club knows what they need - am sure that includes a striker, wing forward and left back - but I’m excited for Saturday and the season ahead.
  • Sponsored links:

• NabySarr said:
    Genuine question as I'm not too clued up on FFP etc - by all accounts people like Wednesday, Ipswich etc are spending more, we've made.money on Burstow, Pope,.we've signed free transfers so far etc... how are we close to being in breach of them?
    Their income will still be higher than ours I would guess. Not sure we can use Burstow money as it counts to last year and as people have said we might only get the Pope money in instalments. The rule is we can spend 60% of our turnover on player wages, I am also a bit surprised we are already at that limit as we’ve had bigger squads at L1 level previously and these have always been the rules apart from the year they brought in the salary cap 
    Makes absolutely no sense. How can we get rid of high earners like Watson, Gunter, Washington etc and replace them with half the Swindon team and be at the salary cap?

How did Wigan do it last season, wasn't Wyke on a reported 10k a week? Their income must be fairly low as well as they have a tiny fanbase. What about Ipswich signing a ton of players? How are Derby signing a squad of ageing championship players who you'd assume are all on decent money?
  • It’s worth remembering that at no point is it wise or necessary to say to the media “we’ve got dosh to spend and we want a striker”.  

What‘s to say this is just us being coy so we don’t have our pants pulled down over fees.  My advice, don’t threat too much over such quotes for now and see what happens. 
    I make you right, and now is not the time to start going mental about it either way. 

I do however remember ESI when people were defending our lack of January action by saying "but January is not the right time to spend significant money". I'm not saying it's fair to make a direct comparison but the evidence we don't have much to spend is right in front of us. I can't see how people in the game would easily fall for the "we're skint so can't pay anything" trick, it's hardly original. 

Of course I could be wrong but I'm pretty prepared for a smaller squad this year. We'll need a bit of consistency and a bit of luck. Wouldn't say I'm confident but no bed wetting from me just yet. 
  • PWR

Interesting, Garners view on Stockley in this mornings news article.

Obviously he’s unlikely to say anything negative but seems to contradict so many peoples views on here?
    Stockley is our only fit, senior striker. Would be naive to publicly slag him off to the local press.
    Yes, I alluded to that but perhaps the point is fans often look at things very differently to a manager.
  • My lad and I discussed the new system/style (we have seen every pre-season game live or on Charlton TV) and agree that if you have no patience as a football fan, best stay away. The system could be incredibly effective, albeit, not yet sure what plan b or c looks like. Anyhow, slower build up and returning to back from front, not only maintains possession, but should have the forwards running around constantly, impacting their energies, similarly draw out midfielders and at times have the opposition’s line move up the pitch. At the same time, it conserves our front 3’s + CAM’s energy to high press when the ball is lost. As the opposition grow more frustrated and try to get the ball, more space opens up and chances created. Thereafter, will all come down to our conversion rate and how we respond to teams who say, we know your game, we are sitting between our 18 yard box and half way for a point today, what now…?

Stockley can link play and with Payne and dare I say it Kirk, rather than CBT (who I hope starts, but is an explosive winger, rather than expert crosser) creating crossed chances, as well as through balls (add Fraser, Dobson, McGrandles, Morgan etc to the latter), I think not only could he hit 20 league goals this season, but will also tee up players like Payne, Fraser, Kirk and Gilbey who have had better track records scoring in the past (so within them for sure).

Excited about testing all of this out against League One opposition, where it counts.

A striker, scoring winger and left sided CB who can play at left back when called upon (a la Herman’s Hreiddarsson) and think we will have a right go this year, certainly perform much better than last.
    Agree entirely, it will be interesting to see how we respond against a more physical outlet. The Accrington game is interesting as I suspect they will make it difficult for us to play our game. It's going to places like that and getting a result which is something that can make a big difference and something we didn't do hardly at all last season.

This team needs bottle, fight, patience and determination and over the first ten games we will see how many boxes we tick. 
  • NabySarr said:
    What's the penalty for exceeding the cap ? 
    Depends on if your team name has the words 'Wednesday' or 'Wayne Rooney' in it.
  • More than anything else this season we need a lot of luck with injuries. The Powell squad wasn't really complete, it just benefited from being able to bring in emergency loans whenever needed and an unbelieveable run of good health. Other than Stephens no-one was out for any extended period. Wiggins, Morrison and Taylor didn't miss a single game for fitness reasons, Yann, BWP, Hollands and Waggy/Green were always there. Jackson missed a bit but we had more injuries in a week last year than in that whole season. If Stockley plays well and doesn't get injured he can play 40+ games this season and we won't have to worry. If Sessegnon remains fit as well then we're laughing in terms of our gaps, we just have to pray that we've resolved our ridiculous injury form and pray for a bit of luck. You absolutely shouldn't plan for it, we need to get the cover in, but how nice would it be to have a season with only one or two injuries of a month or more? Egbo hasn't exactly got us off to a good start there mind..  
    Re your first sentence Gary.
    Very true…..but the luck we have had these last few seasons with injuries to key players goes into the ‘unbelievable’ category.
    Surely our luck has to change at some point.🤞🤞🤞
  • NabySarr said:
    Scoham said:
    Right, here we go, get the popcorn out 🍿 some interesting points from Garner.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/garner-says-addicks-will-work-within-budget-constraints-when-asked-if-aneke-knock-highlights-need-for-extra-striker/

- When asked if this brings back into focus the need for further recruitment up top, Garner said: “We’re still looking to strengthen without doubt. First port of call, we’re hoping that isn’t serious with Chuks.

- talks about players to strengthen us which suggests we’re looking for more than one signing

- signings could come in before any outgoings.

- and the big one, brace yourselves… he believes Stockley fits the system and praised his link up play on Saturday.
    Tbf we did press very well on Saturday especially in the first half which was one worry with Stockley playing up front in this system. Stockleys link play wasn’t great though, and it is better when he receives it in the air than to his feet which doesn’t really suit. Hopefully Stockley can get better as the season goes on which is possible as it’s the first time he’s probably played in a team playing this way so will take some getting used too
    His link up play was perfectly fine, as it has been over the whole of pre season. People for some reason just choose not to see it.

I’ve lost count of the amount of times he has dropped in short, received a good pass to feet from a CB/CDM, controlled it and spread the play out wide or to another player, often under pressure from opposing players.

The problem is that he is not dynamic enough to get back up with play, or interchange positions with an attacking winger who can fill in centrally when he does this. Plus he’s also not great on the edge of an opponents box where he will often find himself. It makes our attacking patterns far to rigid, and easy to defend against, which is why I’d rather we had someone a little more mobile up there.

Good summing up.

Stockley's first touch and laying the ball off was good in the first half and that is what Garner saw but most Charlton fans didn't but the two heavy touches and trying to then get in position where the ball is coming back to him on the ground and not in the air is going to be a major issue. If Chuks is out for a length of time we will be up against it unless the new forward comes in this week.
    It's the elephant in the room and no amount of spin can cover that up. 

• edited July 2022
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:
    Kanu was born on New Year’s Day 2006.
    Miles Leaburn was born on 28th November 2003.
    They are 16 and 18 respectively.
    What were any of us like at that age?
    It will be heartbreaking if we have to depend on those two lads as our strikers next season and hear the lumpen abuse if they are inconsistent.

Kanu was born 14th Nov 2004 and is 17 (18 this year). But your point definitely stands.
  • seth plum said:
    It will be heartbreaking if we have to depend on those two lads as our strikers next season and hear the lumpen abuse if they are inconsistent.

I agree with the general point, though Kanu was actually born on the 14th November 2004, so almost exactly a year behind Leaburn
  • edited July 2022
    seth plum said:

Kanu has signed a pro deal so he has to be at least 17.

EDIT: just seen the other replies, so yes he is.
  • As has been said Stockley needs centres to his head from the wing. Both CBT and Kirk can get down the wing but so far neither has supplied the right crosses which means we need a left footed speedy LB, that is not SS.
  • NabySarr said:
    Makes absolutely no sense. How can we get rid of high earners like Watson, Gunter, Washington etc and replace them with half the Swindon team and be at the salary cap?

How did Wigan do it last season, wasn't Wyke on a reported 10k a week? Their income must be fairly low as well as they have a tiny fanbase. What about Ipswich signing a ton of players? How are Derby signing a squad of ageing championship players who you'd assume are all on decent money?
    Agreed. The likes of Gunter, Matthews, Pearce, Purrington, Watson and Washington must have been on good money for L1, most of them signed for us when we were in the Championship or from Championship clubs (or the SPL). That's a LOT of wages off the books, when you consider the number of L2 players we've brought it, surely on lower wages.

I really hope it's because we're haggling with clubs and potential players over fees and wages, and want to drive a hard bargain.
  • edited July 2022
    seth plum said:

Daniel Kanu was 17 in November 2021 from memory he isn't still 16. Miles Leaburn definitely isn't 25 months older than Kanu !

• edited July 2022
    bobmunro said:
    It looks like we have two of the best strikers to come out of the academy in recent years in Kanu and Leaburn - I think both will get plenty of first team action this coming season.

One, or hopefully both, will score goals in L1.
    Agreed but I would correct your last sentence to hopefully one of them at least  will score goals in L1. They may need another year.

I just can't see the number of goals I think we need through this team if we set up with Stockley as a lone striker. We can hope players that don't score many suddenly find the net. That word Hope again. One or two may well do, but we will need more than one or two. 
  • NabySarr said:

You get a parachute payment after relegation from the championship for at least 1 year so that might play a part. We’ve been here a while so won’t be getting them anymore. Ipswich have bigger crowds than we do and it’s not about transfer fees it’s to do with the wages they are paying. Derby again will have parachute payments and bigger crowds than us.

Watson, Gunter, Washington were all signed the season we had to operate under a salary cap so I doubt they were earning that much 

Again, I’m surprised we are at the limit so hopefully it’s just a negotiation tactic but I’m just thinking of possible reasons why we might be 
  • So it looks like maybe two players need to leave to allow fresh recruits to come in. A lot of people on here are very critical of Morgan and Gilbey, but I think I have another candidate at least equally deserving of being shown the exit door - Jaiyesimi. Never seems to have any impact, as witnessed by a pathetic three goals in 47 appearances. Is there anyone on here who rates him?