Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Can’t believe we’re still talking about Dobbo!

FFS have none of you got lives?
    Can’t believe you have to ask that.
  • bobmunro said:
    The last few pages, encapsulate this site so well........poster makes random statement that Dobson could leave, that becomes fact within a couple of pages and subsequent pages spent debating said statement like it has already happened.

Dobson has a price, every player has a price. If he goes the world won't stop spinning. Last year he was a solid performer in what some on here viewed as the worst Charlton team they had ever seen. He is replaceable, and in McGrandles may already have been replaced.

IMO I don't think Garner will see him as first choice (happy to be proved wrong) and may want someone more mobile. 

That's what I've heard, from a very good source. Garner doesn't rate Dobson that highly.
    It’s a long season and seeing as he only played about3/4 of it. I’m sure he’ll get his chance .
  • edited July 2022
    Can’t believe we’re still talking about Dobbo!

FFS have none of you got lives?

No Martin, we are Charlton fan/critics, we have no lives but we care desperately about our team which means so much to us and that's why we argue the toss.

You are not keen on tangents so I will go over to the other thread; I may be back as I'm a rebel with a cause.

Left footed, Left back with pace who can cross a ball from an advanced position or do the dummy run on occasions to help the one trick pony Charlie Kirk out when he goes on to his favoured right foot or to combine well with Fraser, CBT etc on the left side.

The isn't the Pope a Catholic moment: Charlton need a forward who is really good on the ground and has a good first touch which either puts the ball in the net or controls the ball. This guy won't be a giant but will have pace and can play in and around the box and drift wide when necessary.

Football should be controlled passion when you remember that players are someone's family and would you want your son or Daughter getting abuse when they are working ?

• edited July 2022
    supaclive said:
    NabySarr said:
    thenewbie said:
    supaclive said:
    There's a lot of flap about Dobson based on no evidence so far but I'm fairly calm about whether he stays or goes. I do think he's a better passer of the ball than he's given credit for and I think he could play higher up the pitch if we're playing a deep-lying playmaker at the base of the midfield rather than a destroyer. Having said that though, if Garner has decided that he doesn't suit what he's going to do then in terms of a sale his stock will never be higher than it is now after winning POTY, and with our well-stocked midfield we could afford to move him on more than we can afford to go into the bulk of the season without another winger and another striker. Some players just don't suit how a manager wants to play, and if Dobson falls into that category and Garner feels we don't need him because we have McGrandles doing a similar but slightly different role, and we use the money from his sale to get in a goal-scoring winger and some competition for Stockley then I'm happy. The most viable strategy any team has these days is to get decent players in and sell them on at a profit to bring in more decent players. We got Dobson for nothing, if Garner doesn't play with a player like him and we sell him for cash then that's not necessarily a bad thing. If this is all smoke though then I'm sure he can play in front of a deeper midfielder and play well. We'll just have to see what happens.

I simply disagree
    Dobson is better than McGrandles
    Payne
    Gilbey 
    Morgan
    JFC
    Fraser

He was our RUNAWAY player of the year.

Selling him because he's valuable is stupid economics if it makes us worse, which it will.

But if we use the money to improve the squad overall then it's good common sense. If he goes but a striker comes in that fits the system better than Stockley, we're better off overall.

The only one of those players you can realistically compare him to is McGrandles as the others just don't play in the same way or position. Certainly he is much, much better than Fraser or Payne defensively but I doubt he would bring as much going forward so I can't get behind the idea he's objectively THAT much better.

Near enough every season since relegation from the PL we have sold our best player at the end of the year and fans on here have written what you have written.  Every season it has failed which ultimately has led to something like 8-9 seasons in L1 and us establishing ourselves as a mid table team in the lower leagues.

Dobson should be in the team, no arguments.  He is decent but won't command a fee of sufficient size to make a difference to us imo.
    A fee for Dobson could be worth 3 players wages. That’s a huge difference if we are struggling to juggle FFP. Hopefully we can shift others like MacGillivray and Gilbey and then we can keep Dobson and get the signings we need. This is obviously what we will be trying to do but it’s not easy to sell shit. If it’s a choice between keeping Dobson and only signing 1 more or selling Dobson and signing 3/4 more then it’s a no brainer 
    Nonsense
    You don't sell your best players if you want to get promoted 
    Except when you sell Carl jenkinson to Arsenal and buy a promotion winning team with the transfer fee received?

Carl Jenkinson was a good young player with potential who had started his career well and similar to the Mason Burstow situation but wasn't George Dobson who had at last found a club he could influence and won the POTY by a country mile and GB can play in numerous midfield positions and be excellent in a good team around him. 

All speculation but a pattern is emerging.

• George has proved he has also got a good shot on him,so would expect him to get his chance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Maybe with Dobson, they will look to cash in on him, as contract up in the summer.. 
  • Leuth said:
    I want Dobson and Stockley sold on the same day (tomorrow). I will be on here and on Twitter with a massive bag of popcorn and a list of annoying comments I intend to make 
    I ll see your post and raise you incoming Simon Church and Morgan Fox
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Maybe with Dobson, they will look to cash in on him, as contract up in the summer.. 
    The club has a further year option though.

• Jees have just remembered Burstow! That makes 3 forwards released/moved on who we've not replaced and given pre season time to. Mmmmh.
  • Basically says we might be a bit short up top but he has financial fair play and a club budget to adhere to.  Says he thinks Stockley is improving with every game and that he suits the system.
  • mendonca said:
    Jees have just remembered Burstow! That makes 3 forwards released/moved on who we've not replaced and given pre season time to. Mmmmh.
    Burstow effectively replaced Davison and playing a lone striker we need one rather than two.
  • The David Ozoh loan rumour seems to have gathered pace this morning.
  • Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:
    The last few pages, encapsulate this site so well........poster makes random statement that Dobson could leave, that becomes fact within a couple of pages and subsequent pages spent debating said statement like it has already happened.

Dobson has a price, every player has a price. If he goes the world won't stop spinning. Last year he was a solid performer in what some on here viewed as the worst Charlton team they had ever seen. He is replaceable, and in McGrandles may already have been replaced.

IMO I don't think Garner will see him as first choice (happy to be proved wrong) and may want someone more mobile. 

That's what I've heard, from a very good source. Garner doesn't rate Dobson that highly.
    surely a manager wouldn't let people know this who then spread and share it with anyone with it ending up common knowledge on forums etc that last years POTY he doesnt rate and wont be playing much ....

Did I say the original source was the manager?
  • Garner talking:

“But I think we do need to balance the squad a little bit and obviously you’ve got the financial fair play, the SCMP (salary cost management protocols) etc. We need to make sure that we’re within those criteria and I need to make sure I’m inside the budget that I’ve been set. We need to look at that – it’s not a case of go and sign who you want and get players in. It needs to be within the budget set by the club.”

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/garner-says-addicks-will-work-within-budget-constraints-when-asked-if-aneke-knock-highlights-need-for-extra-striker/

The SCMP/FFP protocols are obviously affecting player recruitment right now.

• edited July 2022
    supaclive said:
    NabySarr said:
    thenewbie said:
    supaclive said:
    There's a lot of flap about Dobson based on no evidence so far but I'm fairly calm about whether he stays or goes. I do think he's a better passer of the ball than he's given credit for and I think he could play higher up the pitch if we're playing a deep-lying playmaker at the base of the midfield rather than a destroyer. Having said that though, if Garner has decided that he doesn't suit what he's going to do then in terms of a sale his stock will never be higher than it is now after winning POTY, and with our well-stocked midfield we could afford to move him on more than we can afford to go into the bulk of the season without another winger and another striker. Some players just don't suit how a manager wants to play, and if Dobson falls into that category and Garner feels we don't need him because we have McGrandles doing a similar but slightly different role, and we use the money from his sale to get in a goal-scoring winger and some competition for Stockley then I'm happy. The most viable strategy any team has these days is to get decent players in and sell them on at a profit to bring in more decent players. We got Dobson for nothing, if Garner doesn't play with a player like him and we sell him for cash then that's not necessarily a bad thing. If this is all smoke though then I'm sure he can play in front of a deeper midfielder and play well. We'll just have to see what happens.

I simply disagree
    Payne
    Gilbey 
    Morgan
    JFC
    Fraser

Selling him because he's valuable is stupid economics if it makes us worse, which it will.

But if we use the money to improve the squad overall then it's good common sense. If he goes but a striker comes in that fits the system better than Stockley, we're better off overall.

The only one of those players you can realistically compare him to is McGrandles as the others just don't play in the same way or position. Certainly he is much, much better than Fraser or Payne defensively but I doubt he would bring as much going forward so I can't get behind the idea he's objectively THAT much better.

Near enough every season since relegation from the PL we have sold our best player at the end of the year and fans on here have written what you have written.  Every season it has failed which ultimately has led to something like 8-9 seasons in L1 and us establishing ourselves as a mid table team in the lower leagues.

Dobson should be in the team, no arguments.  He is decent but won't command a fee of sufficient size to make a difference to us imo.
    A fee for Dobson could be worth 3 players wages. That’s a huge difference if we are struggling to juggle FFP. Hopefully we can shift others like MacGillivray and Gilbey and then we can keep Dobson and get the signings we need. This is obviously what we will be trying to do but it’s not easy to sell shit. If it’s a choice between keeping Dobson and only signing 1 more or selling Dobson and signing 3/4 more then it’s a no brainer 
    Nonsense
    Except when you sell Carl jenkinson to Arsenal and buy a promotion winning team with the transfer fee received?

Carl Jenkinson was a good young player with potential who had started his career well and similar to the Mason Burstow situation but wasn't George Dobson who had at last found a club he could influence and won the POTY by a country mile and GB can play in numerous midfield positions and be excellent in a good team around him. 

He would have started most games the following season, we sold him for good money and pissed the league with replacements bought from the fee

i like Dobson but for people to say we can't get promoted without him is crazy, Sunderland did! If the manager ships him out and brings in players who play his style, then fine. If he is shipped out to offset losses, then not fine.
  • If we are overloaded in any position then CM is the one so wouldnt surprise me to see someone leave before a striker comes in. Think it will be JFC especially now Payne has come in. 
    Ref Dobson, I would imagine everyone starts on the same platform and its up to the players to prove why they start....competition is healthy. Dobson is a good player and can certainly fit into this system. 
  • Scoham said:
    The David Ozoh loan rumour seems to have gathered pace this morning.
    Whereas it gathering pace? Cawley denied that one yesterday.
    Seems to be on 6 or 7 rumour sites. No idea if it’s true or not so happy to take Cawley’s word for it.
  • edited July 2022
    Can’t believe Garner is so thick to go into the season with just 2 experienced strikers, particularly with one almost permanently injured.

Its another season where it looks like we start with a massive weakness in an unbalanced squad, even before more injuries/ suspensions kick in.

Have you read the article that Cawley put out? - I'm sure he'd love to sign a Striker before Saturday
  • Scoham said:
    Right, here we go, get the popcorn out 🍿 some interesting points from Garner.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/garner-says-addicks-will-work-within-budget-constraints-when-asked-if-aneke-knock-highlights-need-for-extra-striker/

- When asked if this brings back into focus the need for further recruitment up top, Garner said: “We’re still looking to strengthen without doubt. First port of call, we’re hoping that isn’t serious with Chuks.

- talks about players to strengthen us which suggests we’re looking for more than one signing

- signings could come in before any outgoings.

- and the big one, brace yourselves… he believes Stockley fits the system and praised his link up play on Saturday.
    Tbf we did press very well on Saturday especially in the first half which was one worry with Stockley playing up front in this system. Stockleys link play wasn’t great though, and it is better when he receives it in the air than to his feet which doesn’t really suit. Hopefully Stockley can get better as the season goes on which is possible as it’s the first time he’s probably played in a team playing this way so will take some getting used too
  • edited July 2022
    supaclive said:
    NabySarr said:
    thenewbie said:
    supaclive said:

I simply disagree
    Payne
    Gilbey 
    Morgan
    JFC
    Fraser

Nonsense

He would have started most games the following season, we sold him for good money and pissed the league with replacements bought from the fee

i like Dobson but for people to say we can't get promoted without him is crazy, Sunderland did! If the manager ships him out and brings in players who got his style, then fine. If he is shipped out to offset losses, then not fine.

Toddy, football isn't an exact science but IF GB leaves it would be for Financial reasons.
    The same if JFC leaves as his wage would reflect when he joined Cafc and I would imagine he is the highest earner along with Stockley ? Plus Jake wants to play every week to make up for the lost seasons and  Ben has players above him in the pecking order.

Having two bulky players like Inniss and Aneke constantly having muscle issues is becoming a major problem and going forward this has to be addressed. 
  • Unsurprisingly we can scream that Stockley isnt fit for this system, and we can scream "forward" as much as we like during games... Each until we're blue in the face - Ultimately it doesnt matter, if one bloke disagrees with us.