Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• NabySarr said:
    supaclive said:
    NabySarr said:
    thenewbie said:
    supaclive said:
    There's a lot of flap about Dobson based on no evidence so far but I'm fairly calm about whether he stays or goes. I do think he's a better passer of the ball than he's given credit for and I think he could play higher up the pitch if we're playing a deep-lying playmaker at the base of the midfield rather than a destroyer. Having said that though, if Garner has decided that he doesn't suit what he's going to do then in terms of a sale his stock will never be higher than it is now after winning POTY, and with our well-stocked midfield we could afford to move him on more than we can afford to go into the bulk of the season without another winger and another striker. Some players just don't suit how a manager wants to play, and if Dobson falls into that category and Garner feels we don't need him because we have McGrandles doing a similar but slightly different role, and we use the money from his sale to get in a goal-scoring winger and some competition for Stockley then I'm happy. The most viable strategy any team has these days is to get decent players in and sell them on at a profit to bring in more decent players. We got Dobson for nothing, if Garner doesn't play with a player like him and we sell him for cash then that's not necessarily a bad thing. If this is all smoke though then I'm sure he can play in front of a deeper midfielder and play well. We'll just have to see what happens.

I simply disagree
    Dobson is better than McGrandles
    Payne
    Gilbey 
    Morgan
    JFC
    Fraser

He was our RUNAWAY player of the year.

Selling him because he's valuable is stupid economics if it makes us worse, which it will.

But if we use the money to improve the squad overall then it's good common sense. If he goes but a striker comes in that fits the system better than Stockley, we're better off overall.

The only one of those players you can realistically compare him to is McGrandles as the others just don't play in the same way or position. Certainly he is much, much better than Fraser or Payne defensively but I doubt he would bring as much going forward so I can't get behind the idea he's objectively THAT much better.

Near enough every season since relegation from the PL we have sold our best player at the end of the year and fans on here have written what you have written.  Every season it has failed which ultimately has led to something like 8-9 seasons in L1 and us establishing ourselves as a mid table team in the lower leagues.

Dobson should be in the team, no arguments.  He is decent but won't command a fee of sufficient size to make a difference to us imo.
    A fee for Dobson could be worth 3 players wages. That’s a huge difference if we are struggling to juggle FFP. Hopefully we can shift others like MacGillivray and Gilbey and then we can keep Dobson and get the signings we need. This is obviously what we will be trying to do but it’s not easy to sell shit. If it’s a choice between keeping Dobson and only signing 1 more or selling Dobson and signing 3/4 more then it’s a no brainer 
    Nonsense
    You don't sell your best players if you want to get promoted 
    Tell that to Brentford 
    Fab
    One team
    Who bought one of our players we got rid of
    They are unique
    Like Charlton of the early 2000s
    Once in a generation team / set up

You win
  • supaclive said:
    NabySarr said:
    supaclive said:
    NabySarr said:
    thenewbie said:
    supaclive said:
    There's a lot of flap about Dobson based on no evidence so far but I'm fairly calm about whether he stays or goes. I do think he's a better passer of the ball than he's given credit for and I think he could play higher up the pitch if we're playing a deep-lying playmaker at the base of the midfield rather than a destroyer. Having said that though, if Garner has decided that he doesn't suit what he's going to do then in terms of a sale his stock will never be higher than it is now after winning POTY, and with our well-stocked midfield we could afford to move him on more than we can afford to go into the bulk of the season without another winger and another striker. Some players just don't suit how a manager wants to play, and if Dobson falls into that category and Garner feels we don't need him because we have McGrandles doing a similar but slightly different role, and we use the money from his sale to get in a goal-scoring winger and some competition for Stockley then I'm happy. The most viable strategy any team has these days is to get decent players in and sell them on at a profit to bring in more decent players. We got Dobson for nothing, if Garner doesn't play with a player like him and we sell him for cash then that's not necessarily a bad thing. If this is all smoke though then I'm sure he can play in front of a deeper midfielder and play well. We'll just have to see what happens.

I simply disagree
    Payne
    Gilbey 
    Morgan
    JFC
    Fraser

Selling him because he's valuable is stupid economics if it makes us worse, which it will.

But if we use the money to improve the squad overall then it's good common sense. If he goes but a striker comes in that fits the system better than Stockley, we're better off overall.

The only one of those players you can realistically compare him to is McGrandles as the others just don't play in the same way or position. Certainly he is much, much better than Fraser or Payne defensively but I doubt he would bring as much going forward so I can't get behind the idea he's objectively THAT much better.

Near enough every season since relegation from the PL we have sold our best player at the end of the year and fans on here have written what you have written.  Every season it has failed which ultimately has led to something like 8-9 seasons in L1 and us establishing ourselves as a mid table team in the lower leagues.

Dobson should be in the team, no arguments.  He is decent but won't command a fee of sufficient size to make a difference to us imo.
    A fee for Dobson could be worth 3 players wages. That’s a huge difference if we are struggling to juggle FFP. Hopefully we can shift others like MacGillivray and Gilbey and then we can keep Dobson and get the signings we need. This is obviously what we will be trying to do but it’s not easy to sell shit. If it’s a choice between keeping Dobson and only signing 1 more or selling Dobson and signing 3/4 more then it’s a no brainer 
    Nonsense
    Tell that to Brentford 
    Fab
    One team
    They are unique

You win
    So if because of financial fair play rules we can’t sign more than 1 or 2 players you’d rather keep Dobson and have 7 central midfielders than sell Dobson and actually have a complete squad. Teams that sell their best players have been promoted many times, teams that don’t have more than 1 left back and don’t have enough players for each position usually don’t get promoted. 

We need 3 or 4 more players if we are to even have a chance of getting near the top 6, selling Dobson might be the only way we can get those players. As I’ve said, hopefully we can sell others and keep Dobson, but I think that will be difficult as i doubt there’s a queue of teams looking to sign the likes of Gilbey. Signing 3/4 more players is more important than keeping Dobson
  • thenewbie said:
    supaclive said:
    thenewbie said:
    supaclive said:

I simply disagree
    Payne
    Gilbey 
    Morgan
    JFC
    Fraser

We should not be selling our best player
    That's the wrong idea
    We have an option for another year
    We should build a team around him
    We can discuss this in 46 games time.  IF it happens.

It depends on whether or not you think he is our best player. Certainly he earned player of the year on merit but given the "competition" that's not as big an achievement as it could be.

He's probably the best outright defensive midfielder we have but in terms of all round play I would say a fully fit JFC is the better all round player, and in terms of a threat going forward CBT is certainly much more potent, with Fraser showing signs of blossoming in a formation that suits him and McGrandles and Payne both coming in with good reputations. Even if he WAS our best player it doesn't mean he still is.

I don't want him sold, I don't even think that Garner or Sandgaard want to get rid of him but IF he does end up going I don't think he's going to be as missed as much by this season's squad (sic) as he would've been last season.
    That may depend entirely on how we fare without him (in this hypothetical scenario).
    I have "liked"  @Fanny Fanackapan's  post above because I share her view that it would seem distasteful to dispense of George in such a cavalier fashion after his magnificent and wholehearted contribution to last year's campaign and seemingly without affording him the opportunity to show what he can do within the new set-up.
    But, and this is the big but, fans are fickle.
    If we are storming the league the sale of George (if it happens) will in all probability soon be forgotten and there will be those who will laud it as a shrewd bit of business if it allows funds to strengthen BG's squad and vision.
    If however we are floundering and witnessing oppo teams storming through our defence like a knife through butter, without the option of a player who's raison d'etre was breaking up those threats, then Benny Boy may well be toast.
  • edited July 2022
    supaclive said:
    NabySarr said:
    supaclive said:
    NabySarr said:
    thenewbie said:
    supaclive said:

I simply disagree
    Payne
    Gilbey 
    Morgan
    JFC
    Fraser

Nonsense
    Tell that to Brentford 
    Fab
    One team
    They are unique

You win
    Wigan… Blackpool… both sold some of their best players in the summer and got promoted the following season.
  • thenewbie said:
    supaclive said:
    thenewbie said:
    supaclive said:

I simply disagree
    Payne
    Gilbey 
    Morgan
    JFC
    Fraser

That's the wrong idea

It depends on whether or not you think he is our best player. Certainly he earned player of the year on merit but given the "competition" that's not as big an achievement as it could be.

He's probably the best outright defensive midfielder we have but in terms of all round play I would say a fully fit JFC is the better all round player, and in terms of a threat going forward CBT is certainly much more potent, with Fraser showing signs of blossoming in a formation that suits him and McGrandles and Payne both coming in with good reputations. Even if he WAS our best player it doesn't mean he still is.

I don't want him sold, I don't even think that Garner or Sandgaard want to get rid of him but IF he does end up going I don't think he's going to be as missed as much by this season's squad (sic) as he would've been last season.
    That may depend entirely on how we fare without him (in this hypothetical scenario).
    I have "liked"  @Fanny Fanackapan's  post above because I share her view that it would seem distasteful to dispense of George in such a cavalier fashion after his magnificent and wholehearted contribution to last year's campaign and seemingly without affording him the opportunity to show what he can do within the new set-up.
    If we are storming the league the sale of George (if it happens) will in all probability soon be forgotten and there will be those who will laud it as a shrewd bit of business if it allows funds to strengthen BG's squad and vision.
    If however we are floundering and witnessing oppo teams storming through our defence like a knife through butter, without the option of a player who's raison d'etre was breaking up those threats, then Benny Boy may well be toast.
    Perfect
  • edited July 2022
    NabySarr said:
    thenewbie said:
    supaclive said:

I simply disagree
    Payne
    Gilbey 
    Morgan
    JFC
    Fraser

Don't agree.

Also if struggling with FFP then Sandgaard can simply put equity in and solve the situation.  His aim is PL afterall so he must have known that would cost him a lot of £m's.

Plus,how much would we get for Dobbo anyway. No L1 club have any money, he won't be going to the PL so that leaves the Championship.  Half of them are potless, I would be amazed if we got more than £500K. It won't make a hot of difference.
  • thenewbie said:
    supaclive said:
    thenewbie said:
    supaclive said:

I simply disagree
    Payne
    Gilbey 
    Morgan
    JFC
    Fraser

That's the wrong idea

I’m sure no-one on either side of this weird debate disagrees with any of that.

The whole exercise is pretty pointless anyway as I fully expect Dobson to be here this season. He’s not good enough for the Championship yet IMO.
  • NabySarr said:
    supaclive said:
    NabySarr said:
    supaclive said:
    NabySarr said:
    thenewbie said:
    supaclive said:

I simply disagree
    Payne
    Gilbey 
    Morgan
    JFC
    Fraser

Nonsense
    Tell that to Brentford 
    Fab
    One team
    They are unique

You win
    So if because of financial fair play rules we can’t sign more than 1 or 2 players you’d rather keep Dobson and have 7 central midfielders than sell Dobson and actually have a complete squad. Teams that sell their best players have been promoted many times, teams that don’t have more than 1 left back and don’t have enough players for each position usually don’t get promoted. 

We need 3 or 4 more players if we are to even have a chance of getting near the top 6, selling Dobson might be the only way we can get those players. As I’ve said, hopefully we can sell others and keep Dobson, but I think that will be difficult as i doubt there’s a queue of teams looking to sign the likes of Gilbey. Signing 3/4 more players is more important than keeping Dobson
    If that is the case, a player we signed on a free last year that we have another year option on, who wad our best player is the LAST player we should dispense with!

Get rid of
    Morgan (I actually like him)
    Gilbey 
    JFC (would like to keep him)

Before our BEST player

Should I bring up every glowing comment we all made on him last year or do we all have such short memories?
  • Sponsored links:

• Serious question - what would Dobbo be worth in this market ? (I fear not a lot) 
  • supaclive said:
    NabySarr said:
    supaclive said:
    NabySarr said:
    supaclive said:
    NabySarr said:
    thenewbie said:
    supaclive said:

I simply disagree
    Payne
    Gilbey 
    Morgan
    JFC
    Fraser

Nonsense
    Tell that to Brentford 
    Fab
    One team
    They are unique

You win

If that is the case, a player we signed on a free last year that we have another year option on, who wad our best player is the LAST player we should dispense with!

Get rid of
    Morgan (I actually like him)
    Gilbey 
    JFC (would like to keep him)

Before our BEST player

Should I bring up every glowing comment we all made on him last year or do we all have such short memories?
    I agree with all you are saying. He is possibly the last player we would want to get rid off. But he might also be the only player that we can get rid off from that midfield. I don’t see a lot of clubs being in for those players and if they are I don’t think the financials will help us much at all with bringing in the 3 or 4 we need. 

Our mistake was probably signing this many midfielders before getting rid of any. Teams now know we need to get one or two of them off the books so will be looking for a cheap deal. It might be that we have to play Payne further forward as otherwise we might be stuck with 7 central midfielders and holes elsewhere in the team. 
  • Serious question - what would Dobbo be worth in this market ? (I fear not a lot) 
    I would guess at around 700k/800k? If we are at the limits of financial fair play then that would be enough to pay the wages of maybe 3 league 1 players which is why I think there’s a chance it will happen 
  • NabySarr said:
    Serious question - what would Dobbo be worth in this market ? (I fear not a lot) 
    I would guess at around 700k/800k? If we are at the limits of financial fair play then that would be enough to pay the wages of maybe 3 league 1 players which is why I think there’s a chance it will happen 
    I really rate Dobbo, but honestly can’t see how we will get that sort of money for him. 
  • CAFCDAZ said:

So a formation we won't play, and the strike force in one guy who doesn't start and another who doesn't play for us?
    I have it on good authority that garner will not and does not play 2 up top. Our next 3 will be more than likely a CB, LB and a winger. Also looking at a other DM as cover for dobo. Asked about strikers and they said no chance of us getting another striker, as no ones gonna want to play backup to JS, and they don't want JS to be backup. 
    I think it hard to believe we’re in for another DM to cover Dobson. More likely we sell him, even then we might not need to replace as we’d still have 6 CMs plus Clare/Henry. 
    That's not what I was told
  • Tbf @ValleyGary has seen the convo as I shared it with him, this hasn't come from the tea lady, let's put it that way.
  • can’t believe that some appear not to realise that every player has a price. Also, not every players ambition is to play for Charlton. One thing I’ve leant since supporting Charlton in 1972 is that we sell our best players, usually for less than they are actually worth. It’s also possible that if clubs were sniffing around GD, and at the moment all this is just based on @golfaddicks personal opinion and nothing else, then GD himself might want to move on. It happens. If that happened I wouldn’t consider him to be disrespectful to us just that if we sold him I wouldn’t consider that disrespectful to him. It’s football.

For what it’s worth I certainly don’t want him to go, he’d be the first name on my team sheet, but if BG decided it best for the team, that he could bring in three players as a result of GD going and that would make the team better overall then I’d accept that. He’d get pelters if it backfired though.
    WHERE does it automatically come from that Dobson leaving us frees up space for 3 signings FFS!!

He was a FREE last year....
  • supaclive said:
    can’t believe that some appear not to realise that every player has a price. Also, not every players ambition is to play for Charlton. One thing I’ve leant since supporting Charlton in 1972 is that we sell our best players, usually for less than they are actually worth. It’s also possible that if clubs were sniffing around GD, and at the moment all this is just based on @golfaddicks personal opinion and nothing else, then GD himself might want to move on. It happens. If that happened I wouldn’t consider him to be disrespectful to us just that if we sold him I wouldn’t consider that disrespectful to him. It’s football.

For what it’s worth I certainly don’t want him to go, he’d be the first name on my team sheet, but if BG decided it best for the team, that he could bring in three players as a result of GD going and that would make the team better overall then I’d accept that. He’d get pelters if it backfired though.
    WHERE does it automatically come from that Dobson leaving us frees up space for 3 signings FFS!!

It doesn’t but the point being is we could invest the fee received to cover the costs of bringing in two or three players.
  • Sponsored links:

• Jac_52 said:
    sammy391 said:
    It’ll either be 
    “Charlton trying for McKirdy arrival” 

or 

“leaburn has shown he’s capable of being 3rd choice”

even worse would be 

“ *unknown* premier league striker set to sign for Charlton” 

I'd actually prefer the last scenario.

Unknown premier league loans are my favourite genre of signing.
    So it’s Burstow on loan then. 
  • supaclive said:
    can’t believe that some appear not to realise that every player has a price. Also, not every players ambition is to play for Charlton. One thing I’ve leant since supporting Charlton in 1972 is that we sell our best players, usually for less than they are actually worth. It’s also possible that if clubs were sniffing around GD, and at the moment all this is just based on @golfaddicks personal opinion and nothing else, then GD himself might want to move on. It happens. If that happened I wouldn’t consider him to be disrespectful to us just that if we sold him I wouldn’t consider that disrespectful to him. It’s football.

Because of the 60% of turnover cap? Common sense that we can spend some more if we can generate revenue. Although it automatically resulting in 3 signings is admittedly a bit of a stretch. 
  • CAFCDAZ said:
    Tbf @ValleyGary has seen the convo as I shared it with him, this hasn't come from the tea lady, let's put it that way.
    Fair enough, I wasn’t saying you were lying. Just that we currently have Morgan, Dobson, JFC, Fraser, Payne, McGrandles and Gilbey competing for 3 spots. Plus Clare and the likes of Henry. It makes zero sense looking to add any kind of CM unless 2/3 of them are leaving. 
  • supaclive said:
    supaclive said:

I simply disagree
    Payne
    Gilbey 
    Morgan
    JFC
    Fraser

I know you disagree mate, because you LOL every single post that you don't agree with on here like you're worried they'll take the button away. I don't think they will, you can probably just use your words every time.
    Not quite true.  I do find your comments funny at times.  However we all loved Dobson last year and suddenly, with no replacement for Washington or Davison and no left back, some of seem to think it might be a good idea to sell our runaway player of tbe year 

Come on now.

This is absurd.  We need to strengthen.   Not make the squad weaker 
    If we sell Dobson and reinvest the funds across the squad, we wouldn’t be weaker, would we. 
  • supaclive said:
    NabySarr said:
    thenewbie said:
    supaclive said:

I simply disagree
    Payne
    Gilbey 
    Morgan
    JFC
    Fraser

Nonsense
    Except when you sell Carl jenkinson to Arsenal and buy a promotion winning team with the transfer fee received?
  • Looking forward to seeing if we can get a striker in the door this week.

Whoever signs now won't be starting at Accrington but it'd be nice to have an extra option off the bench, with five subs for each side.
  • sam3110 said:
    But the argument is in a better team he wouldn't have to be mopping up and making so many tackles as he did, so would he stand out as much?

You need players like George Dobson even more in the way Garner wants to play to cover the two attacking full backs who will be in more advanced positions also to protect the CB's. McGrandles plays one half and he's better than consistent George !
    You really couldn't make it up.

As the way Ben wants to play will need 16 players, Dobson and McGrandles will be needed over the 90+ minutes.

I will discuss the finer points of the way Garner wants to play on the Technical thread.

• The last few pages, encapsulate this site so well........poster makes random statement that Dobson could leave, that becomes fact within a couple of pages and subsequent pages spent debating said statement like it has already happened.

Dobson has a price, every player has a price. If he goes the world won't stop spinning. Last year he was a solid performer in what some on here viewed as the worst Charlton team they had ever seen. He is replaceable, and in McGrandles may already have been replaced.

IMO I don't think Garner will see him as first choice (happy to be proved wrong) and may want someone more mobile. 

That's what I've heard, from a very good source. Garner doesn't rate Dobson that highly.
  • bobmunro said:
    The last few pages, encapsulate this site so well........poster makes random statement that Dobson could leave, that becomes fact within a couple of pages and subsequent pages spent debating said statement like it has already happened.

Dobson has a price, every player has a price. If he goes the world won't stop spinning. Last year he was a solid performer in what some on here viewed as the worst Charlton team they had ever seen. He is replaceable, and in McGrandles may already have been replaced.

IMO I don't think Garner will see him as first choice (happy to be proved wrong) and may want someone more mobile. 

That's what I've heard, from a very good source. Garner doesn't rate Dobson that highly.
    If that’s the case then TS should back him.
  • I think we need @ForeverAddickted ‘s match preview thread opened early this week for arguments over whether Dobson starts or not.