Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• supaclive said:
    Dobson was SO much better than anything we had last year.  Won the 3rd most tackles in the league.  He can pass it.  He can shoot.

Why the fuck would he go before

Morgan 
    Gilbey
    Etc etc

If we sell him.  We ARE mental.

Wonder if MK Dons fans thought the same about Gilbey when he left for us after winning POTY two years running. 
  • If Dobson leaves it will be for one of two reasons, either he wants a move or has had his head turned or TS has been approached and likes the sound of the offer. BG would be mad to let the best performer for a season leave, when there are still other players of inferior fitness, effort, quality or favour, thus it would be both a shock and significant disappointment if he goes. He's a player that doesn't just give his all, he makes a difference, whereas many others hide or let the game pass them by. If we have too many midfielders then kick out some other time waster. Dobson is one for the future at any club, not a journeyman that is simply filling a hole.

"Please stay George" 
  • Perhaps he reads CL and was worried about talk on here of making him a CB.
  • Who is Ellis Simms ?
    Ask @Sage :wink:

• The best team is not always the one with the best 11 players, but the one that has players that work together and suit each other and fit the system and strategy most.

I personally don't think we're actively looking at moving Dobson on at all but if a good enough offer comes in then it might be that he goes.
  • supaclive said:
    Dobson was SO much better than anything we had last year.  Won the 3rd most tackles in the league.  He can pass it.  He can shoot.

Morgan 
    Gilbey
    Etc etc

Dobson was our best player. In a team that finished 13th.

He suited the way we played last year. The way we played last year had us massively underachieving. That’s not faulting Dobson. It’s just facts.

If Garner doesn’t think Dobson fits the way he wants to play, then I’ll trust him to make that judgement. He’s a good tackler and he has ability with the long passes. But I’d suggest his short passing game and his shooting leave a bit to be desired.

Remember when we lost player of the season Jose Semedo in the summer of 2012? He was about the only decent player we had in a team that finished 13th. He was good at tackling but couldn’t shoot either.

We don’t have to shoehorn a player into the first XI just because they were the best of a bad bunch last year.

None of this makes any sense.
    In what universe does the way Garner want to play not include George Dobson  ?

A player that was good in a mediocre team but would be shoehorned into this side ?

May just be speculation, but it would be crazy to let a player leave that have proven they can play consistently despite the erratic play around them. 

Feel there could be legs in this story as know how the merry go round works from owners, agents and being in or out with new managers. George Dobson won't be short of offers.
  • Oggy Red said:
    Who is Ellis Simms ?
    Ask @Sage :wink:

My first thought was a Charles Dickens character actually. 
    Just for you,  @addick1956 in case you have Great Expectations:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellis_Simms

@Sage once told us a good story of how he tipped off Steve Gallen about a promising young Everton striker. :wink:

• supaclive said:

Morgan 
    Gilbey
    Etc etc

He suited the way we played last year. The way we played last year had us massively underachieving. That’s not faulting Dobson. It’s just facts.

If Garner doesn’t think Dobson fits the way he wants to play, then I’ll trust him to make that judgement. He’s a good tackler and he has ability with the long passes. But I’d suggest his short passing game and his shooting leave a bit to be desired.

Remember when we lost player of the season Jose Semedo in the summer of 2012? He was about the only decent player we had in a team that finished 13th. He was good at tackling but couldn’t shoot either.

We don’t have to shoehorn a player into the first XI just because they were the best of a bad bunch last year.
    I think to suggest Dobson is the best of a bad bunch is doing him a disservice.  He is young and has demonstrated he has a bit more than being a good tackler.

It is also narrow vision to get rid of a young player because you think he needs to be shoehorned in to a first eleven that has so many midfield players that lack an all round game.

What if garner doesn't get the results and it turns into another scramble to get out of the bottom 4. We will be crying we don't have a ball winner to protect the defense, whilst needing to change the system again.

Personally until Garner proves a success I would keep some type of players in the squad as an insurance. That still leaves him scope for the type of player he wants. 
  • Sponsored links:

• thenewbie said:
    supaclive said:

Morgan 
    Gilbey
    Etc etc

I think to suggest Dobson is the best of a bad bunch is doing him a disservice.  He is young and has demonstrated he has a bit more than being a good tackler.

It is also narrow vision to get rid of a young player because you think he needs to be shoehorned in to a first eleven that has so many midfield players that lack an all round game.

What if garner doesn't get the results and it turns into another scramble to get out of the bottom 4. We will be crying we don't have a ball winner to protect the defense, whilst needing to change the system again.

Personally until Garner proves a success I would keep some type of players in the squad as an insurance. That still leaves him scope for the type of player he wants. 
    I mean it might well be worth seeing if Dobson is actually sold before we start catastrophising. There's a fairly wide gulf between "may not be first choice" and "sold off" in terms of possible outcomes here.
    I wasn't catastrophising nor did I suggest Dobson was to be sold.  Merely pointing out nothing is guaranteed to be a success and in response to a comment that was suggesting he should be let go because he might not fit in to Garners way of playing.

• edited July 2022
    thenewbie said:
    supaclive said:

Morgan 
    Gilbey
    Etc etc

I mean it might well be worth seeing if Dobson is actually sold before we start catastrophising. There's a fairly wide gulf between "may not be first choice" and "sold off" in terms of possible outcomes here.
    I wasn't catastrophising nor did I suggest Dobson was to be sold.  Merely pointing out nothing is guaranteed to be a success and in response to a comment that was suggesting he should be let go because he might not fit in to Garners way of playing.

I didn’t suggest letting him go. He definitely would be one I’d like to keep. I only suggested that he doesn’t have to be an automatic starter. He should be kept around because what he’s good at, he does very well.

Based on the first 45 minutes of yesterday’s game, I suspect he’s got a battle on his hands to win the starting spot from McGrandles.
  • thenewbie said:
    supaclive said:

Morgan 
    Gilbey
    Etc etc

I didn’t suggest letting him go. He definitely would be one I’d like to keep. I only suggested that he doesn’t have to be an automatic starter. He should be kept around because what he’s good at, he does very well.

Based on the first 45 minutes of yesterday’s game, I suspect he’s got a battle on his hands to win the starting spot from McGrandles.
    It takes one injury to do that. But why would MacGrandles come to Charlton rather than a Championship side.
    Am I being set up for a whoosh here?
  • thenewbie said:
    supaclive said:

Morgan 
    Gilbey
    Etc etc

Fair point reading back you didn't, but my comment wasn't suggesting he was to be sold either as @thenewbie was suggesting.

McGrandles said in an interview that he was brought in by Garner to play he's natural role which was not a the defensive anchor in midfield, he played it last season because Lincoln had injuries.  From what I have gathered Dobson & him play different positions in midfield.
  • Surely it’s a positive there is a debate who will start next week, not so much in the forward positions😬
  • Did the club think they would get some decent dosh from Dobson this season? Something doesn't stack up when a POTY moves into the final year of his contract, without any noise.
  • thenewbie said:
    supaclive said:

Morgan 
    Gilbey
    Etc etc

Fair point reading back you didn't, but my comment wasn't suggesting he was to be sold either as @thenewbie was suggesting.

McGrandles said in an interview that he was brought in by Garner to play he's natural role which was not a the defensive anchor in midfield, he played it last season because Lincoln had injuries.  From what I have gathered Dobson & him play different positions in midfield.
    Yeah I agree they are suited to doing different things. That’s part of the reason why I think Dobson will find it difficult. I don’t think this system is set up to include an out and out defensive anchor like Dobson. 

There might be times, especially away from home, where we need that anchor and there’s not a better player for the job but in a fluid midfield three where each of them take turns getting forward, I think Dobson will struggle to force his way in.

McGrandles was the most naturally defensive minded midfielder on the pitch yesterday but he was also popping up on the edge of the Swansea area at times too.

• Sponsored links:

• paulfox said:
    Surely it’s a positive there is a debate who will start next week, not so much in the forward positions😬
    We are quick to forget that the last few years our XI was the easiest to call at the start because we only about 14 players on the books with a load of youngsters.  
  • thenewbie said:
    supaclive said:

Morgan 
    Gilbey
    Etc etc

It is Morgan, not McGrandles who has the nod over Dobson at present. The midfield  three combinations that Garner is looking at are:
    One from Morgan or Dobson at centre mid
    Two from McGrandles Payne Fraser attacking mids

JFC and Gilbey are on the out, although one of them may be kept as reserve. and Henry is the reserve centre mid if Dobson and JFC go.
  • Either that or its going to be a big fat no
  • edited July 2022
    Suspect the striker is who Garner has IDed and has worked for months 
  • It’ll either be 
    “Charlton trying for McKirdy arrival” 

or 

“leaburn has shown he’s capable of being 3rd choice”

even worse would be 

“ *unknown* premier league striker set to sign for Charlton”