Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• cabbles said:
    Glad I'm not the only one to feel this way and especially relieved that Sage is the one to echo my thoughts. 

TS has totally left BG up the creek without a paddle IMO.

He'll want the gaffer to put more youngsters in the team , putting them out there and encouraging bids for their services as he did with Burstow. 

That's one of the only ways to recoup some of his outlay.
    I must admit, when I saw those comments from @sage, I was quite glad.  He knows his onions and generally I consider him to be quite patient and positive when it comes to the playing side of things, but it’s a bit of a wake up call imo 
    Sage did say last year that Dobson and Clare were not of the required standard, and yet they became two of our best players.

Maybe he is right and the fact they are our better players shows that we are way off the standard we need to be. 
    Dobson and Clare aren’t the problem. This team would be improved a lot more by signing the right striker than it would by replacing Dobson and Clare with better players in their positions.

That’s not to say Stockley is the only weakness, I feel we need a better CB and in midfield while Fraser is scoring goals Morgan isn’t a goal threat. Had he scored that chance yesterday it might have been a very different game.
  • edited September 2022
    Morgan should have picked a spot, probably low to the keepers right, and drilled the ball there but he just hit and hoped and put it in the most perfect place for the keeper. He probably was thinking, get it on target and whilst that is sometimes what you should do, a more composed finisher would score from there or at least demand a great save from the keeper.

CBT balooned the ball over the bar which happens. But the problem is, if you compile his chances, it happens 99% of the time. Again, zero compusure and how do you coach composure into a player?
  • I saw Mansfield fans whinging on twitter after we released our statement that our business was done.

Can understand their frustrations, but equally... Thats what happens when you risk leaving things until the last minute - Sounds like it was QPR as well that changed the terms of everything, so they can fume over them
  • I actually thought Stockley did okay at what he does second half (after being dominated the first half) and I think reference to him as a Donkey is slightly unfair. I counted 6 times in the first 10 or so minutes where he dropped in deep won a tricky ball under pressure and distributed it well.

If you’re a donkey you can’t do that.

However I’m convinced that’s not really the attributes that Garner wants his main CF to play with, and it’s certainly pointless in this formation when both our wingers are pushed up high and wide and there’s no quick out ball into the centre behind the centre backs when we get it out to them. 
  • Santos not only had Stockley in his pocket but was allowed to be very influential in possession. And I am a Stockley supporter. He doesn't suit this system though unless he is up against weak defenders. He was far too isolated as he has been for much of the season.
  • Lovely to see the youngsters given a chance, if they can be gradually introduced to a moderately competent team. 

However, if we are going to be forced into playing them due to injuries and general weaknesses it won't end well  Remember in 2020 playing up to four lads whose squad numbers were 40 and above and it was disastrous.  

I can't remember the individuals per performance as such, but a quick check of the squad numbers reveals

40 Brendan Wiredu
    43 Toby Stevenson
    44 Josh Davison
    45 Alfie Doughty
    46 James Vennings
    48 Aaron Henry.

I doubt they were mortally injured by their experience, although confidence would have been dented. Meanwhile, we as a team really suffered and I'm pretty sure it was part of the reason Conor Gallagher was withdrawn by Chelsea.  Not sure if the Sandgaard clan will take this on board while their eyes are so firmly fixed on the cost cutting exercise.

• edited September 2022
    cabbles said:
    Glad I'm not the only one to feel this way and especially relieved that Sage is the one to echo my thoughts. 

He'll want the gaffer to put more youngsters in the team , putting them out there and encouraging bids for their services as he did with Burstow. 

I must admit, when I saw those comments from @sage, I was quite glad.  He knows his onions and generally I consider him to be quite patient and positive when it comes to the playing side of things, but it’s a bit of a wake up call imo 
    Sage did say last year that Dobson and Clare were not of the required standard, and yet they became two of our best players.

Maybe he is right and the fact they are our better players shows that we are way off the standard we need to be. 
    As much as they are two players that are the least of our worries, Dobsons main attributes are smashing people and ball retention, for how we want to play I am not sure if he suits Garners system. Only issue with Dobbo is it’s all well and good he is great at what he does, but when we need results he doesn’t offer much, he is more noticeable when we are up against it cause he will run in and ram someone off the ball, when most of our squad don’t have that in them, Charlton fans love someone who tackles like that. Sunderland fans don’t rate him at all and I’d say they are fairly grounded fans. As I said though he is nowhere near a concern right now 

as for Clare, I’m still not quite sure, when we are up against a proper side he does struggle at right back, there’s a player there but i’m not sure he has the required athleticism for an effective full back, I believe his place is in that midfield and that’s where he wants to be, problem is who makes way and we don’t really have anyone to play right back until Egbo is back. I rate Karl Robinson, as much as he gets some bad reviews he’s made Oxford a real competitive, promotion chasing side in this league for 3 seasons straight, he deemed Clare not good enough for his squad and couldn’t find a place for him in Midfield or at right back. Without being a snob if we want to be getting out of this league we need to have a better squad than a side like Oxford. I look at their team and they have a handful of players that just walk into this team. 

• Rothko said:
    Didn’t Yann sign as a free agent? 
    He did, but I think he’s in his 40’s,  might have lost a yard of pace now though.

Would probably still get in the team lol
  • Sponsored links:

• cabbles said:

As much as they are two players that are the least of our worries, Dobsons main attributes are smashing people and ball retention, for how we want to play I am not sure if he suits Garners system. Only issue with Dobbo is it’s all well and good he is great at what he does, but when we need results he doesn’t offer much, he is more noticeable when we are up against it cause he will run in and ram someone off the ball, when most of our squad don’t have that in them, Charlton fans love someone who tackles like that. Sunderland fans don’t rate him at all and I’d say they are fairly grounded fans. As I said though he is nowhere near a concern right now 

as for Clare, I’m still not quite sure, when we are up against a proper side he does struggle at right back, there’s a player there but i’m not sure he has the required athleticism for an effective full back, I believe his place is in that midfield and that’s where he wants to be, problem is who makes way and we don’t really have anyone to play right back until Egbo is back. I rate Karl Robinson, as much as he gets some bad reviews he’s made Oxford a real competitive, promotion chasing side in this league for 3 seasons straight, he deemed Clare not good enough for his squad and couldn’t find a place for him in Midfield or at right back. Without being a snob if we want to be getting out of this league we need to have a better squad than a side like Oxford. I look at their team and they have a handful of players that just walk into this team. 

Wasn't it the case that Robinson wanted Clare to play right back, and Clare wanted to play in midfield, hence he left?

Personally I think he's a perfect acceptable modern right back, and better there than in midfield. To me an issue with 433 (and 4231) formations though, is that it's less clear than in the traditional 442 who is meant to support the full back in defensive duties. If it one of the midfield 3, or is it the wide attacker, and do we really want JRS busting a gut to do his defensive duties, when he seems to be one player who looks like creating a goal.
  • I actually thought Stockley did okay at what he does second half (after being dominated the first half) and I think reference to him as a Donkey is slightly unfair. I counted 6 times in the first 10 or so minutes where he dropped in deep won a tricky ball under pressure and distributed it well.

However I’m convinced that’s not really the attributes that Garner wants his main CF to play with, and it’s certainly pointless in this formation when both our wingers are pushed up high and wide and there’s no quick out ball into the centre behind the centre backs when we get it out to them. 
    Agreed don’t think he was that bad yesterday by a long way he won headers and laid the ball of very well , again got no protection from the ref as BG was telling the 4th official all the game … perhaps the problem are the players around him they need to get closer … 
  • Sage said:
    Oh and our left hand side is so poor.

O’Connell, Clayden, Morgan, Kirk and then Stockley up front. None of them are good enough for a top 6 side, unfortunately.
    O Connell was superb today … and Clayden second half looked really dangerous , Kirk had an off day did not really get the chances .. Morgan was poor and it’s time for Payne .

but it don’t really matter what you do on the pitch when the ref misses a major key moment in the game 
    Superb is a bit strong when he was part of a defence that gifted the opposition 3 goals 
  • Going to have to be two pretty decent free transfers I feel.  Can’t help but think we’re only likely to find another Souare type player now though 
  • Matej Vydra in his prime would be nice, though we would probably somehow contrive to turn him into Pawel Abbott.
  • https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-strikers-free-transfer-7522738

This Derby article details 4 free agent strikers. Vydra is out injured until the end of the year anyway
  • cabbles said:

Wasn't it the case that Robinson wanted Clare to play right back, and Clare wanted to play in midfield, hence he left?

Personally I think he's a perfect acceptable modern right back, and better there than in midfield. To me an issue with 433 (and 4231) formations though, is that it's less clear than in the traditional 442 who is meant to support the full back in defensive duties. If it one of the midfield 3, or is it the wide attacker, and do we really want JRS busting a gut to do his defensive duties, when he seems to be one player who looks like creating a goal.
    https://youtu.be/hA2EHouqpfU

In this interview he says in his heart of hearts he wants to play midfield but he has been signed as an attacking right back. 

So yes he certainly wanted to play midfield but the concern is he couldn’t cement himself as the first choice right back there, couldn’t force himself into midfield, Robbo was happy for him to leave and Oxford fans weren’t too fussed. So it just makes me wonder do we rate Clare quite high cause we seem average and he is above or is he actually a good player, I think it’s somewhere in between, again though least of our issues. 

I am quite critical though, I’ve been saying for most of our seasons in league 1 our squad hasn’t been good enough in starting XI quality or depth 
  • edited September 2022
    There are quite a few reasons why we shouldn't bother with free agents but forgetting those, we haven't got the money. We were going to fund Bonne from savings via the loans of Gilbey and DJ. as DJ did not go, any free agent worth getting, if there is one, can not be afforded. To be honest the better striking free agent options couldn't agree deals with Championship clubs and are probably hoping for more money from desperate clubs. That is not the pool we are fishing in.
  • edited September 2022
    I actually thought Stockley did okay at what he does second half (after being dominated the first half) and I think reference to him as a Donkey is slightly unfair. I counted 6 times in the first 10 or so minutes where he dropped in deep won a tricky ball under pressure and distributed it well.

Of course you can. Even donkeys can play simple passes. The other week when Leaburn turned and instantly hit a through ball with the outside of his foot to put DJ through on goal - that's something donkeys can't do. When Jayden does that, I'll say he's not a donkey. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2022
    Chunes said:
    I actually thought Stockley did okay at what he does second half (after being dominated the first half) and I think reference to him as a Donkey is slightly unfair. I counted 6 times in the first 10 or so minutes where he dropped in deep won a tricky ball under pressure and distributed it well.

Of course you can. Even donkeys can play simple passes. The other week when Leaburn turned and instantly hit a through ball with the outside of his foot to put DJ through on goal - that's something donkeys can't do. When Jayden does that, I'll say he's not a donkey. 

When Jayden won the ball to the right of the area against Plymouth and ran to the bye line and put a perfect across for Kirk to win the Penalty which Stockley put away with aplomb.

I understand the narrative.

Both Sheffield Wednesday and Sunderland wanted Jayden Stockley; not because he's a Donkey but because in the correct formation which appears to be in a two up front he is useful at this level or with good support as Jayden received in the Plymouth home game.

• edited September 2022
    Chunes said:

When Jayden won the ball to the right of the area against Plymouth and ran to the bye line and put a perfect across for Kirk to win the Penalty which Stockley put away with aplomb.

I understand the narrative.

Both Sheffield Wednesday and Sunderland wanted Jayden Stockley; not because he's a Donkey but because in the correct formation which appears to be in a two up front he is useful at this level or with good support as Jayden received in the Plymouth home game.

I've just watched that back and that should be a pretty simple ball for a professional footballer under no pressure. If you're not making that, you're playing at the wrong level.

I don't disagree that he's useful in the right style and formation, but we're not playing it, and I don't think he's SO useful in that style that we should be building around him. 

You only have to watch someone like Charles or even Leaburn when he's on the pitch to see how limited Jayden is with his feet. You are not going to see him pick it up, turn, buy half a yard and get his shot away. He just doesn't have the ability or mobility. 
  • Chunes said:

Even donkey’s can take a bouncing ball down under pressure, with a brute like Santos on your back, ride a couple of challenges and ping a fizzed ball out to the wing straight to a player?

Okay then.

I get we don’t like Stockley here, and I certainly don’t think he is correct for the system or style of play we should be aiming for. I said as much when I would have liked us to sign Wilkes or McKirdy, as we need a fluid front 3 that can interchange positions.

But he’s far from being a donkey. 
  • edited September 2022
    Chunes said:

Even donkey’s can take a bouncing ball down under pressure, with a brute like Santos on your back, ride a couple of challenges and ping a fizzed ball out to the wing straight to a player?
    Obviously we have different ideas of what constitutes a 'donkey.' I am getting the feeling you are picturing a player with two pieces of strings for legs that have boots tied at the end that flail around trying to kick a football. For me, it's a player of very limited technical ability who struggles to play with their feet beyond the minimum you'd need to be a professional in the first place.

What you're describing above requires more strength than technique. I mean, imagine a professional L1 striker who can't bring a bouncing ball down or play a pass out to the wing? Then we're not even describing a footballer. 

I feel like we're back to the Matthews/Purrington defenses where we give players disproportionate kudos for doing very simple things. What about everything they don't or can't do. 

What if Jayden could take a touch and roll Santos. Or take him on with the ball at his feet, buy half a yard? Or turn, get his head up and pick out a forward pass. Did he once get Santos face-up? Or even on the half-turn? No because he's limited with his feet, so he doesn't play that way. 

He was at his best for us when he had a strike partner and Ben Amos could put those lovely angled long goal kicks just where he wanted them and he won a lot in the air. Then we didn't see his limitations so much because we didn't ask him to receive it to his feet.
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Obviously we have different ideas of what constitutes a 'donkey.' I am getting the feeling you are picturing a player with two pieces of strings for legs that have boots tied at the end that flail around trying to kick a football. For me, it's a player of very limited technical ability who struggles to play with their feet beyond the minimum you'd need to be a professional in the first place.

What you're describing above requires more strength than technique. I mean, imagine a professional L1 striker who can't bring a bouncing ball down or play a pass out to the wing? Then we're not even describing a footballer. 

I feel like we're back to the Matthews/Purrington defenses where we give players disproportionate kudos for doing very simple things. What about everything they don't or can't do. 

What if Jayden could take a touch and roll Santos. Or take him on with the ball at his feet, buy half a yard and got a shot away? Or turn, get his head up and pick out a forward pass. Did he once get Santos face-up? Or even on the half-turn? No because he's limited with his feet, so he doesn't play that way. 
    Okay Chunes, I think we should do a fun experiment. Let’s get down the park this week, I’ll get a big mate to be on your back and I’ll chuck some balls up to you in the air and you will have to control it, find the space, and hit a cross field ball to a cone.

I’ll then set up another drill where you have to move towards a ball coming towards you, turn and hit a ball to the cone with the outside of your foot instantly.

We can see which one you’re more successful at doing, and if it really requires limited technique to do the first drill. 

• Stockley at the moment is effectively doing a similar job to the one Bogle did for us, as a target man with little goal threat.
  • Santos not only had Stockley in his pocket but was allowed to be very influential in possession. And I am a Stockley supporter. He doesn't suit this system though unless he is up against weak defenders. He was far too isolated as he has been for much of the season.
    Stating the obvious here……but time after time he was receiving the ball with his back to goal.🙁