Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• edited September 2022
    Sage said:
    Not sure why my comments on Dobson and Clare I made 12 months ago are being brought up for discussion. Neither were any good at the start of last season, and although they turned their form around incredibly well and are far from being an issue in the current side, that’s not the issue. They proved a lot of people wrong. Good on them! However, one is playing out of position by necessity yet proving to be decent, the other is all about winning it back and the more Garner has time to implement his style, the less I’ll see the him being used. We got a taste of that already against Derby. Give it a few months or another transfer window and I can see it being a way we go forward under Garner. But those two are not an issue and not what the conversation is about. Using a comment and opinion from a year ago to devalue an opinion now is a bit frustrating.

Stockley has offered us nothing this season. He doesn’t possess the leadership skills on the pitch to take us up a level. He doesn’t press but when he does lots like he’s running through water, he’s constantly moaning at other players, like I’ve said before he doesn’t run in behind, his hold up play is actually poor for a man of his size, he’s not great with the ball at his feet, he’s often behind the play and unless we have patient build up and put the ball in the box, he doesn’t look threatening. I actually believe Davison would have offered us more so far because at least he’s willing to stretch a defence, he works hard, he’s less predictable.

We saw last season Stockley up front on his own is shocking and in a new style and system, I’ve seen nothing this season to change that.
    So why keep playing him? Put Leaburn up there, put Stockley and maybe Kanu on the bench. I know people, and probably the club, don’t want to put too much pressure on Leaburn, but at this point, can he do any worse? We know he can run, we know he can hold the ball up and pass. Sure he might get outmuscled by some of the old hands, but at this point, what is there to lose by going that route. 

It’s not Stockleys fault Garner keeps playing him. 
  • It’s behind a paywall? 
  • JamesSeed said:
    It’s behind a paywall? 
    Going by the title... Mansfield are probably annoyed that we pulled the plug on Jaiyesimi being loaned to them @ 10:59 (?) on Thursday night - But that only happened because QPR apparently moved the goal posts for the Bonne deal
  • Interesting that we didn't get any loan players from the Big 6 clubs this time, despite 3 of them being London clubs. A consequence of loaning players, and not using them in previous seasons? Matt Smith (City), Levitt (Utd), Matt Smith (Arsenal), Nile John (Spurs), Castillo (Chelsea)...
  • Sponsored links:

• Interesting that we didn't get any loan players from the Big 6 clubs this time, despite 3 of them being London clubs. A consequence of loaning players, and not using them in previous seasons? Matt Smith (City), Levitt (Utd), Matt Smith (Arsenal), Nile John (Spurs), Castillo (Chelsea)...
    I would guess cost is more likely the reason, though the lack of game time for those players wouldn’t have helped.
  • JamesSeed said:
    It’s behind a paywall? 
    Going by the title... Mansfield are probably annoyed that we pulled the plug on Jaiyesimi being loaned to them @ 10:59 (?) on Thursday night - But that only happened because QPR apparently moved the goal posts for the Bonne deal
    Thanks 👍
  • Sage said:
    Sage said:
    Not sure why my comments on Dobson and Clare I made 12 months ago are being brought up for discussion. Neither were any good at the start of last season, and although they turned their form around incredibly well and are far from being an issue in the current side, that’s not the issue. They proved a lot of people wrong. Good on them! However, one is playing out of position by necessity yet proving to be decent, the other is all about winning it back and the more Garner has time to implement his style, the less I’ll see the him being used. We got a taste of that already against Derby. Give it a few months or another transfer window and I can see it being a way we go forward under Garner. But those two are not an issue and not what the conversation is about. Using a comment and opinion from a year ago to devalue an opinion now is a bit frustrating.

Stockley has offered us nothing this season. He doesn’t possess the leadership skills on the pitch to take us up a level. He doesn’t press but when he does lots like he’s running through water, he’s constantly moaning at other players, like I’ve said before he doesn’t run in behind, his hold up play is actually poor for a man of his size, he’s not great with the ball at his feet, he’s often behind the play and unless we have patient build up and put the ball in the box, he doesn’t look threatening. I actually believe Davison would have offered us more so far because at least he’s willing to stretch a defence, he works hard, he’s less predictable.

We saw last season Stockley up front on his own is shocking and in a new style and system, I’ve seen nothing this season to change that.
    So why keep playing him? Put Leaburn up there, put Stockley and maybe Kanu on the bench. I know people, and probably the club, don’t want to put too much pressure on Leaburn, but at this point, can he do any worse? We know he can run, we know he can hold the ball up and pass. Sure he might get outmuscled by some of the old hands, but at this point, what is there to lose by going that route. 

I don’t think Garner wants to start either of them up front on their own. It’s almost a case of less of the two evils. Leaburn has done well but he’s not ready or good enough for a team who need to overachieve to gain a top 6 position. It would not be fair at all, not on him, not on the rest of the players. We also start to venture into that territory we headed into around this time last season where Stockley was dropped because it wasn’t working. We don’t want to repeat history. It shouldn’t have come to this in the first place.
    Then he has to change his formation. If you don’t want to play either Leaburn or Stockley on their own, use a formation that plays to their strengths. Consensus is we won’t be top 6 with Stockley, so saying we won’t be top 6 with Leaburn doesn’t appear to change anything. 

You’ve got to make it work with the players you have. Sticking to a playing style that can’t work makes no sense. It’s what got JJ the sack   

But I think the criticism of Stockley is wildly overdone. Half the problem is poor balls into the box, and that he’s left completely isolated. 
  • swordfish said:
    I feel sorry for Garner. To be left with his only striking options for the next seventeen games as one sick note, one centre forward who doesn't suit his system and a promising eighteen year old seems negligent and inexcusable. 

Geoffrey Howe's famous cricketing analogy springs to mind, "it's rather like sending your opening batsmen to the crease, only for them to find, the moment the first balls are bowled, that their bats have been broken before the game by the team captain."

With 17 departures, albeit a lot of them dead wood,  only 7 new arrivals leaves the squad spread too thin in key areas and I'm not sure we'll find free agents of CBT's quality, assuming we're actively looking for any.
    Probably the 1st time I've agreed with you.
    Have a like 
  • Sage said:

Stockley has offered us nothing this season. He doesn’t possess the leadership skills on the pitch to take us up a level. He doesn’t press but when he does it’s like he’s running through water, he’s constantly moaning at other players, like I’ve said before he doesn’t run in behind, his hold up play is actually poor for a man of his size, he’s not great with the ball at his feet, he’s often behind the play and unless we have patient build up and put the ball in the box, he doesn’t look threatening. I actually believe Davison would have offered us more so far because at least he’s willing to stretch a defence, he works hard, he’s less predictable.

Do you believe that Garner was wrong in keeping Stockley and letting Davison go ?

As you wrote off Clare and Dobson after just a few games I'm not sure that saying Josh Davison would be a better bet to lead our attack agrees with Ben Garner who after working with him in League 2 doesn't feel he's a League 1 player worthy of any position in a front 3.

Football is a game of opinions and it's Ben Garner's Gig and that's why I was intrigued how he would get the best out of Jayden when it would surely be beneficial to have the ball crossed from the flanks from an advanced position so Stockley and another forward can attack the ball in the air.

This is the opposite of hoof ball, it's accurate crossing of the ball so Stockley, Leaburn or if Aneke is ever fit can move on to the ball which makes it easier to see the keeper while keeping your eye on the ball and not looking over your shoulder all the time. 

Great example of that was CBT who isn't an inverse winger( another poster said this) as he is two footed and crossed a lovely ball from the bye line for Chuks header when we were chasing the game against Morecambe last season at the valley.

Win games of football by playing to the strengths of your squad. If you want to play mainly on the deck up front then buy/sign players to fit that system. January will be interesting as I can't see us being in the top 8 unless players get fit and mainly stay fit.
  • edited September 2022
    Stockley can score goals in this division...we have seen it. However, he needs a striking partner. 

Naturally I hoped JS could eventually could learn the role and kick on but he cant. Simple as that. 

Washington wouldnt have been the answer in this new system, he suits it better for sure but he aint banging in 20+ a season. People complain about how many chances Bonne missed should also look at Washington. 

I try to be positive and whilst I think TS heart is in the right place, he has bitten off more than he can chew. The way deadline day was handled was a circus and we are now really up against it. Im happy with our general dealings in the window but we have been left woefully short and someone needs to be held accountable.. we knew what we needed and we didnt sort it.

BG is a find and feel he could do well even with moderate resources but this certainly has a feel that TS has pulled up the ladder and will try to fly off ASAP.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:
    Sage said:

Stockley has offered us nothing this season. He doesn’t possess the leadership skills on the pitch to take us up a level. He doesn’t press but when he does it’s like he’s running through water, he’s constantly moaning at other players, like I’ve said before he doesn’t run in behind, his hold up play is actually poor for a man of his size, he’s not great with the ball at his feet, he’s often behind the play and unless we have patient build up and put the ball in the box, he doesn’t look threatening. I actually believe Davison would have offered us more so far because at least he’s willing to stretch a defence, he works hard, he’s less predictable.

Do you believe that Garner was wrong in keeping Stockley and letting Davison go ?

As you wrote off Clare and Dobson after just a few games I'm not sure that saying Josh Davison would be a better bet to lead our attack agrees with Ben Garner who after working with him in League 2 doesn't feel he's a League 1 player worthy of any position in a front 3.

Football is a game of opinions and it's Ben Garner's Gig and that's why I was intrigued how he would get the best out of Jayden when it would surely be beneficial to have the ball crossed from the flanks from an advanced position so Stockley and another forward can attack the ball in the air.

This is the opposite of hoof ball, it's accurate crossing of the ball so Stockley, Leaburn or if Aneke is ever fit can move on to the ball which makes it easier to see the keeper while keeping your eye on the ball and not looking over your shoulder all the time. 

Great example of that was CBT who isn't an inverse winger( another poster said this) as he is two footed and crossed a lovely ball from the bye line for Chuks header when we were chasing the game against Morecambe last season at the valley.

Win games of football by playing to the strengths of your squad. If you want to play mainly on the deck up front then buy/sign players to fit that system. January will be interesting as I can't see us being in the top 8 unless players get fit and mainly stay fit.
    I didn’t right them off last season. They had a poor start and I called it as I saw it. They turned it around in a team that was about fighting and character rather than possession based attacking football. Again, that was 12 months ago in a different side, in different circumstances, with a different manager and style of play. Irrelevant now.

Davison is not good enough either and I agree him moving to League Two is best for everyone. That doesn’t mean he wouldn’t have offered us more so far this season than Stockley, who has offered us nothing. The two are not related. They’re entirely different. The problem is we failed to bring in a striker better than Stockley and that is not Garner’s fault.

Aneke is always going to have this tag and the concern of injuries and I completely understand that. But I do think we have missed him hugely and he would be able to play a central striker and offer us so much more because he can hold up the ball, he can take players on, he can play like a false 9 and let our wide players push on in the space in behind. The problem is the time he spends on the pitch, unfortunately. I just hope he comes back soon and is able to show this ability. 
    We failed to bring in any striker
  • edited September 2022
    Stockley can score goals in this division...we have seen it. However, he needs a striking partner. 

Naturally I hoped JS could eventually could learn the role and kick on but he cant. Simple as that. 

Washington wouldnt have been the answer in this new system, he suits it better for sure but he aint banging in 20+ a season. People complain about how many chances Bonne missed should also look at Washington. 

I try to be positive and whilst I think TS heart is in the right place, he has bitten off more than he can chew. The way deadline day was handled was a circus and we are now really up against it. Im happy with our general dealings in the window but we have been left woefully short and someone needs to be held accountable.. we knew what we needed and we didnt sort it.

BG is a find and feel he could do well even with moderate resources but this certainly has a feel that TS has pulled up the ladder and will try to fly off ASAP.
    I don't think he has the attributes for it. He is too isolated but even when not, he can have poor games when the defender is on top of him. Under this system it is often two defenders which was the problem under Adkins. It is a case of horses for courses and playing with more support Stockley will be our top scorer. But when it isn't working a different type of player is needed which is difficult with our lack of options. Garner has to probably look at a way of giving Stockley more support and that is basically the same issue Jacko had to solve except Jacko had a few more options to solve it until our striker injury crisis which we are now incredibly suceptable to. Especially when we have Aneke and his issues. 
  • edited September 2022
    Anyone feel more sympathy towards Adkins than they did 12 months ago?
  • J BLOCK said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Anyone tell more sympathy towards Askins than they did 12 months ago?
    No. Tactics were no existent, totally hopeless 11 every single week last season. He was also backed more than Garner in terms of transfer budget. 
    Maybe but a number of signings were last minute, literally, and either unfit or useless or both, Arter, Soare etc. 
  • Sage said:

It’s not Garners either.
  • edited September 2022