Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

VOTV - RIP

Comments

• Options
    A compendium of the best articles over its history would be a lovely thing.
  • Options
    A compendium of the best articles over its history would be a lovely thing.
    Print the entire series of “Red Faces”. 
  • Options
    All things must pass, somebody once said.
    Iconic part of our history now.
    Thanks Airman and best wishes in future endeavours.
  • Options
    Very sad to see it go, VOTV was a great help in getting us back to the Valley
  • Options
    Thanks Rick and all contributors for keeping me going through the dark and even darker days. I salute your efforts. 
  • Options
    Very sad to see this, been too busy to open the envelope so far today. Big thanks to all the contributors over the years but mainly of course to Airman for his huge contribution & breaking many stories re the bullshit that has been so much a part of our club for so long. Never forget the printing of Varneys emails & some idiots still believing Pinocchio's lies that "Reg" was only coming out with all this to get himself a pay rise.

Thanks Airman, I wonder where we would have been without VOTV ?
  • Options
    Sorry to see it go. It's been the best source of balanced news and largely accurate gossip on the club in my lifetime. However, I am sure Rick will continue to speak up and speak out on all things Charlton and he says we can look forward to "one-off publications." Anyone for a Christmas edition of Battle for Charlton Athletic?
  • Options
    A behemoth of football fanzines. 
    End of an era. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've still got the first +/- 15 years of VOTV.
    I also have some of the other old great fanzines from the early nineties like The City Gent (Bradford), Brian Moore's Head Looks Uncannily like the London Planetarium (Gillingham). I used to go to Sportspages every week and buy a couple.

VOTV is a piece of not only Charlton, but football, history. It's sad to hear of its end.
  • Options
    I'm not one to moan but I've just paid £22 by PayPal for this year’s subscription. Will I get a refund You can donate what you owe me to the Upbeats @Airman Brown
  • Options
    No spoiler alert mine hasn't arrived yet?
  • Options
    As someone who's been buying it since I started to attend games regularly in 89/90 when my own football career stumbled to a halt, and in more recent years as a subscriber, I'll be sad to see it go, but also understand why - thanks Airman for the Stella service over many years - I just hope there's a mention of Tuggy from the club shop one last time  :D
  • Options
    Always hard to stay relevant in print when everything is now instantaneously available online, but what a service this fine fanzine provided us through the years. 
  • Options
    One of the sellers back in the old days was a really handsome lad.

It leaves a great legacy.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Went downhill after the 5th Column went obviously but Echos across the Valley is and was always essential reading and some great campaigning articles during the protest eras.

My Only Desire is good but not a news and gossip fanzine, which are the bits of VOTV I enjoyed most, more, unlikely as it might seem, than the historical articles which came to fill many of the pages in recent years.
    Hmmmm,

Went downhill after The Lone Gunman's Bullet Points went obviously but Echos across the Valley is and was always essential reading and some great campaigning articles during the protest eras.
    Henry Irving always suspected that Bullet Points had 'plagiarised' the format of the 5th Column - we couldn't possibly comment !

What is true is that both owed everything of course to VOTV and over two spells (with that big gap inbetween) it was a joy to write for.

Thank you Rick.
  • Options
    edited April 2022

It's not so much a fanzine as true journalism, reliably informative, superbly written with great clarity, well laid out and always soundly edited, with every page produced to the same rigorous and consistent standard.

I think the very first magazine was the one which got me hooked. Charlton's worst ever team: Hewie; Hewie, Hewie; Hewie, Hewie, Hewie and Hewie, Hewie, Hewie, Hewie and Hewie.

Very best wishes to Rick and his family, and all contributors. Let's hope there is something exceptional being planned.

• Options
    edited April 2022

Besides VoTV my favourite fanzines were From Behind Your Fences and Light At The End Of The Tunnel. In ragged memory they lurk as phantoms alongside many kindred publications as well as such glorious ephemera as inflatables. And while we still have our villains nowadays, who can forget the punishment routinely dished out to Rick's long-running targets Andy Bryant, Arnie Warren and Chris Tugwell. I hope that someday a worthy author will step forward to recreate that far distant world. 

• Options
    RiP VOTV.
    You will be missed. Sadly. 
  • Options
    Thanks Rick for providing such a good read for so long
    That you published some of my occasional rubbish always astounded, but appreciated. 
  • Options
    It is and we always be a part of our history and a very important part of it at that. Thank you Airman.
  • Options
    razil said:
    I’m obviously out of the loop but why is it stopping?