Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

VOTV - RIP

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2022
    It's time for Airman Brown to land after many decades of hitting the target and doing what all fanzines should do which is to try to keep Owners honest and not be a mouth piece for the good, bad and ugly people who have run the club over the last 30+ years.
    At least we have an owner now who means well even if we are stuck as a mid table League 1 team at present.

I salute Rick and team for all their efforts over this long period. His experience of working for the club gave him an insight into the daily problems faced by professional football clubs and the possible solutions needed to run efficiently in a football results business.

The boy Rick done good.  Theo Foley patent!
  • Options
    What's your favourite VOTV cover? There were many priceless ones, but for some reason my personal favourite featured Terry Waite, the man of Blackheath held captive in Lebanon for so many years. I guess this must have been around the time of his final long awaited release, but were still in exile (maybe at Upton Park) and the photo showed him with a look of consternation saying "Whaddya mean, they're STILL not back at the Valley?"

They were never less than very funny. That's quite something to achieve over so many years. Of course the style is inspired by Private Eye, and why not, but it's still a hell of a skill to come up with a good topical one each and every time.
    The one that sticks in my mind was from around the 1992 General Election, with Labour leader Neil Kinnock on the cover. It went something like

"Kinnock for Number 10?"
    "No chance boyo, they'll never drop Garry Nelson!"
  • Options
    Haven't bought it for years but was a great thing back in the day and maximum respect to airman for all he has and does do with the clubs best interests at heart - he's not always right but never doubted his intentions.
  • Options
    Very sad

One of my favourite regular articles in the early VOTV was ‘Red Faces’ ( I think it was called) detailing former crap players - one that sticks in my mind was about Shane Westley - why, I do not know -pretty sure Ralph Milne cropped up in one as well
  • Options
    Thank you Ric - you will always be a hero of mine and I'll miss buying VOTV from you in Floyd Road. Good luck in your new venture.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Perhaps the most influential publication in the history of our club. I did a stint selling it once at Selhurst, and have bought and read every copy.

It will be sadly missed...
    Ditto. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DA9 said:
    As an aside, if anyone has an old copy of local pub reviews in votv from circa 94 onwards, would gladly buy it from you 
    @DA9 drop me a line. 
  • Options
    One of the sellers back in the old days was a really handsome lad.

It leaves a great legacy.

Blushes. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Thank you Rick and to all those who have contributed to the VOTV over the years what an outstanding job you have done. It’s a proud part of our history as a club and won’t be forgotten.

Since I started watching the team back in 1987 it’s been a constant in my life and I will miss it greatly. I have lived away now for 17 years and each month when the copy arrives in the post it lifts my mood, no matter how good or bad the results are. Without doubt it has made me feel much closer to the club and has helped to keep that link and my interest. So thank you again Rick and team.

If there is a nostalgia addition I would ask for the Lennie Lawrence on the psychiatrist couch article to be included. Magnificent!
  • Options
    I’m very grateful to everyone for their kind words, on here, on Twitter, elsewhere, by email and at the ground today. It’s been heartwarming to hear how much affection and support there still was for VOTV. I don’t want to say too much more because there will be opportunity enough when the final issue comes out in September, but I really do appreciate the reaction and understanding.
    With all the money you've made from selling VOTV, I hope you blow it all on Range Rovers and bitches  ;)
  • Options
    A fantastic mag that kept me in touch with CAFC when abroad in various places well before the internet was a thing. A record to be proud of. 
  • Options
    I’m very grateful to everyone for their kind words, on here, on Twitter, elsewhere, by email and at the ground today. It’s been heartwarming to hear how much affection and support there still was for VOTV. I don’t want to say too much more because there will be opportunity enough when the final issue comes out in September, but I really do appreciate the reaction and understanding.
    But not enough to change your mind?!    :D
    Seriously, I am looking forward to your next projects.

• Options
    Thanks for all you’ve done in the past and will do in the future.
    Good luck in your new career as Katie Miere’s PA 😉
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Haven't bought it for years but was a great thing back in the day and maximum respect to airman for all he has and does do with the clubs best interests at heart - he's not always right but never doubted his intentions.
    Wow
  • Options
    Thanks for so many great reads …… so much awareness/reporting of what was happening at the club and the continuous “voice” of the support base. It has all been very much appreciated over the years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    But not enough to change your mind?!    :D
    Seriously, I am looking forward to your next projects.

Perhaps eventual retirement will free up the time required to produce VOTV? 
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    No spoiler alert mine hasn't arrived yet?
    Still waiting for mine years ago
  • Options
    Got my refund today, thanks

Do we still have a final ever(?….) issue to look forward to in the next few weeks?
  • Options
    fmaddick said:
    Got my refund today, thanks

Do we still have a final ever(?….) issue to look forward to in the next few weeks?
    I f-in hope so fm. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I think Rick said September will have a last issue. Will miss VOTV. (MOD is a great read).
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    I have a short window in the next couple of weeks if you still want to do that feature and centrefold spread Airman, just let me know soon.

Don't worry lookout I am already preparing the October issue. Vice of the valley it will be called. Centre spread is yours. No interview needed just let me know what you're perfect evening in would be. 
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    I have a short window in the next couple of weeks if you still want to do that feature and centrefold spread Airman, just let me know soon.

Don't worry lookout I am already preparing the October issue. Vice of the valley it will be called. Centre spread is yours. No interview needed just let me know what you're perfect evening in would be. 
    Careful where you put the staples