Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ipswich Town vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 30th April 2022 - 12:30 KO | Match Preview

Ipswich Town vs Charlton Athletic
Saturday 30th April 2022 - 12:30 Kick-Off
Referee: Charles Breakspear

Introduction
There have been days throughout this season where its felt as though it would never end - An extremely slow start in August quickly made us realise that this wasn't to be a season that'll be remembered long after its gone. Late summer gave way to Autumn, and winter... We had brief hope at times that it could be a season of recovery, but even that proved fruitless as welcomed in another New Year - Now though its finally here, like a weary runner, enduring the agony of mile after mile, we can finally see what is a beautiful scene.

The finish line is in sight, the pain is almost over... For a couple of months at least!!

The Opposition
Name: Ipswich Town (11th) | Manager: Kieran McKenna
Ground: Portman Road
Previous Meeting: Charlton Athletic 2-0 Ipswich Town

I can imagine those on SuffolkLife are thinking pretty much along the same lines... Three clubs went into the season with the aim of spending big to return to the Championship, as it is, only Wigan Athletic appear set to enjoy the fruits of promotion - The other two, must sit down this coming summer and question just where it all went wrong.

For our opponents, it was perhaps the approach of bringing in too many players at once... Now at Charlton; Scott Fraser has spoken this week about how he was the something like the 7th out of eleven planned signings at Portman Road - Our opponents whilst making some impressing signings would go on to bring almost double that number, had it worked as planned they truly would have destroyed any competition, and may well sit in a better position this time next season.

We go into this game though facing the third Ipswich Manager of the season; John McGreal took charge of what was a lacklustre side at the Valley in December, falling to a 2-0 defeat certainly didnt help his prospects of the job on a Full-Time basis... Kieran McKenna signed from Manchester United (with no playing career) came in two games later, setting about changing fortunes. With just four defeats, it looked at one stage as though Ipswich may reach the Play-Offs, understandably they fell short (unsurprising given the target set by those in the top six).

If McKenna picks up where he left off, then promotion challengers they should be.

Charlton Team News
I must admit, there was a heavy sigh of frustration in my dark corner at CharltonLife Towers today, they've been telling me for years they'll sort out the leaking plumbing - Johnnie Jackson confirmed that Elliott Lee is set to return to the squad this coming Saturday, of course Lee could well be one that'll return next summer so makes sense for him to be involved, if not though.

Moving swiftly on though and our top assist creator will most likely drop out of the starting line up as is the way; Albie Morgan took his assists to eight (in all competitions) on the weekend, so will hopefully be one to take his form into what'll be a crucial season next term - Elsewhere and Daniel Kanu may well earn further involvement, the youngster might even get to kick a ball this time.

Sean Clare will of course be absent on Saturday - Best wishes to him for what'll be an important Operation.

MacGillivray
Inniss - Pearce - Famewo
Matthews - Dobson - Gilbey - Blackett-Taylor
Morgan
Stockley - Washington

Substitutes Bench: Harness - Elerewe - Forster-Caskey - Lee - Jaiyesimi - Aneke - Kanu

Prediction
Its almost ironic that Charlton go into this game in similar form, to what we saw prior to the final game of the season last term, when Hull City visited the Valley - Should the Addicks record another win on the weekend, it'll hopefully show the club that once again, minimal changes should put us in prime position for a positive campaign next term.

Comments

• Options
    0-0 nailed on.
  • Options
    Just like to add to the thanks already given for these previews. They are really excellent and always very much appreciated
  • Options
    Well done @ForeverAddickted an absolutely awesome effort smashing out so many previews throughout the course of the season. Can’t say how much they are appreciated by all of us so thank you to you, @Sage and our new apprentice @Ben18

Enjoy the summer break and look forward to writing more about a winning team next season. who knows, we might even fix that leak down in the dungeons:-) 
    Hear hear
  • Options
    Any reason why it cannot be shown on Charlton TV in UK.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    Any reason why it cannot be shown on Charlton TV in UK.
    You may laugh but its because SKY will have the rights to all twelve games... Even though they're only showing two of them. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Big Mac didn’t make it to the sponsors’ dinner so it’s possible there will be a change of goalie for this last match. 
  • Options
    Will go 1 -1 with JFC getting the equalizer in added time. B)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Many thanks FA for doing these previews. 
    Same to Sage and Ben10.
    All very much appreciated. 
    I shall be going to the game tomorrow as away days have always been a big part of my life. 
    It was pointed out to me earlier that Blackpool away in 72 was 50 years ago today. 
    Several of the people I'm going to Ipswich with were with me in Blackpool in 72.
    50 years later and we are still going together. 
    Must be mad.
    Behave yourselves this time;-) 
    I'll try 😁
  • Options
    What happens after this match is far more important than the match itself although it would be nice to close off this sorry chapter with a win and some positivity.
  • Options
    Can we do the double over Ipswich?
  • Options
    Will be the first time we've done it since 2001/02 if we do
  • Options
    I've now got a spare adult ticket for Ipswich away if anyone wants it? 
  • Options
    Thanks also from me for the previews.  Seeing as I'm many miles away, they keep me up to date on matters, more so on the opposition, because without that I wouldn't have a clue on how their season was unfolding,  the way they play, and the players to watch out for. 

Lose and we could finish 14th if both Accrington and Cambridge win. I don't think it changes much in the way of how we go about next season with JJ's position, but my god, it's been torrid. 

Id like to see how Deji Elerewe would get on for 90 minutes against decent opposition, and Kanu give a decent run out. Other than that, meh. 
    1 -1 don't care who scores. 

I'm looking forward to a couple of months of not walking up at ungodly hours to watch utter shite. 

• Options
    Massive thanks to you guys for the previews, really enjoy reading them and getting a better idea on an opponent's form etc.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Long shot but any tickets being sold by Ipswich for the away end? 

Ignore Charlton are still selling but they werent yesterday! 

Another edit - Anyone got 2 tickets for sale then please let me know!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

1,890 Addicks have SOLD OUT the away end at Portman Road with no tickets available on the day.
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/626b9989c1e50/away-day-guide-portman-road
  • Options
    clive said:

1,890 Addicks have SOLD OUT the away end at Portman Road with no tickets available on the day.
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/626b9989c1e50/away-day-guide-portman-road
    They had them on there this morning! Obviously hadnt updated! haha
  • Options
    Imagine trying to play out of defence with that back three
  • Options
    Thanks FA, Sage and Ben for your insightful previews. Let's hope that Baron AFKA gives us all some time off for good behaviour 
  • Options
    9-0 to the Addicks.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Imagine trying to play out of defence with that back three

🎶 McG to Innnnniss,
    Inniss to Pearcey,
    Pearcey to Famewo,
    Goal kick! 🎶

We're They're on the ball...

🥲
  • Options
    End of season classic 0-0.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Massive thanks to you guys for the previews, really enjoy reading them and getting a better idea on an opponent's form etc.
    Seconded...plus many times this season the preview's been better than the match!

• Options
    DO NOT FORGET ............... 12.30 KICK OFF
  • Options
    Will be the first time we've done it since 2001/02 if we do
    Lisbie's absolute cracker.  Halcyon.