Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    But I'm just a humble cabbage, what do I know, etc
    Why is this my first promote ffs
    Brilliant , whoever done this take a bow 

I’m hearing rumours the cabbage community are furious 
  • Options
    Pochettino available. What a pity Thomas acted so hastily. 🤪😂
  • Options
    If I ever get a promote ( very unlikely) I would hand it straight back. 

Or sell it on ebay...
  • Options

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Lurker said:

Not sure you’ve quite got the hang of lurking there @Lurker 😉
  • Options
    I am confused with this thread, has Ben Garner got a promote?  :)
  • Options
    That IS a weird dream. I'd be all over three right backs 
  • Options
    Well I had an highly unusual dream last night that I had purchased a ticket for the first home game, but for some reason it didn’t have the seat number on it, and I was too afraid to ask security thinking they might think it’s a fake and fill me in.

So I sat outside the ground on a sofa, next to the statue of Sam Bartram, who was actually ForeverAddickted, who could talk.

Then at one point Leuth came storming out the ground complaining that Garner was playing a ‘weird formation’ where we had 3 right backs. 

God knows what any of that means. 

It means you’ve found where that bloody sofa from the side of the pitch went!!👍
  • Options
    Well I had an highly unusual dream last night that I had purchased a ticket for the first home game, but for some reason it didn’t have the seat number on it, and I was too afraid to ask security thinking they might think it’s a fake and fill me in.

So I sat outside the ground on a sofa, next to the statue of Sam Bartram, who was actually ForeverAddickted, who could talk.

Then at one point Leuth came storming out the ground complaining that Garner was playing a ‘weird formation’ where we had 3 right backs. 

God knows what any of that means. 

Flash back to the Roland days?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    If he's had issues for two seasons Sage, can you say they're over and won't affect him next season?

How come they didn't affect him during JJ's early run?

I can sympathise if people have personal stuff going on but I would honestly like us to build a team we don't have to make excuses for. Over the past few years it feels like it's constant.

It's the hiding that did it for me. Gilbey hides in the tough parts of the game and you cannot have a CM that does that and expect to be successful. (See our record for coming back from 1-0 down).
    This, all day long. Alex must be aware that he hasn't performed in far too many games since he's been with us.  So obvious when a midfielder goes missing. Those moronic yellow and red cards did it for me this season. I think Jackson gave him too much slack. We need to be spending his wages on someone who performs every time he plays. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    As this thread seems to be lurching all over the place from stroppy promote recipient (he should be so lucky).. to whether Gilby is really the messiah and should be retained at all costs...🥱..a new thought, slightly closer to the thread...gone very quite on the supposed two coaches joining as a Garnish to Garner..
    Anyone ITK know anything?.. B)
  • Options
    I agree, they all ought to perform with honesty and effort in every game. Even if they’re only human.
    Being human also means being able to set aside other issues in order to focus on the job in hand 100%.
    The players are paid well enough to do it.
    Nice human though Alex Gilbey probably is, he has been robbing a living at Charlton.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    I am confused with this thread, has Ben Garner got a promote?  :)
    No, he lost out  in the playoffs I think!
  • Options
    The most important Promote would be if Ben Garner gets Charlton Athletic a Promote in 2022/23 season or the following season 2023/24 when his ideas and strategic plans has time to come to fruition.

That is
    Plan A 
    Plan B
    Plan C..........
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    On a serious note, and not to be a doomsayer, but I wonder what get out clauses TS has in BG's contract. Yes, we all know it is a 3 years contract but surely if we are sitting in 23rd again in October there must be a 'Cheerio mate' clause inserted. Clearly, not to sound flippant, I'd imagine TS has set the bar somewhat higher, but I wonder what performance / timescale related targets are 'insisted upon' to stay in post.

With that in mind, I wonder what TS realistically expects us to be achieving and when. 
  • Options
    clive said:
    “His style is possession based and playing in the opposition’s half. He didn’t necessarily execute that at Rovers but I saw his Swindon side a couple of times last season and they definitely played in his image – they had the highest possession percentage in League Two.
    League One is a tough league to do that in if you haven’t got the players to do that."

Have we/will we get the players to do that?

“The recruitment side at Rovers, which wasn’t entirely in his hands and was more a joint operation, there were a few mistakes made there and that left holes in the team which made it hard. They didn’t get off to a good start."

That sounds familiar. 

• Options
    On a serious note, and not to be a doomsayer, but I wonder what get out clauses TS has in BG's contract. Yes, we all know it is a 3 years contract but surely if we are sitting in 23rd again in October there must be a 'Cheerio mate' clause inserted. Clearly, not to sound flippant, I'd imagine TS has set the bar somewhat higher, but I wonder what performance / timescale related targets are 'insisted upon' to stay in post.

With that in mind, I wonder what TS realistically expects us to be achieving and when. 
    Clearly Thomas had little or no faith in Jacko, hence the 18 month "contract" with the rather loaded proviso of x finish or byeee, can't see Garner ever agreeing to a similar contract, he has a 3 year deal, and no doubt, the usual payoff if and when required, subject to balance of contract at the time.
    I feel that Thomas was sounding a bit less gun ho in his recent interview, and seemed to be aiming for playoff's, and with a bit of luck maybe top two, playoff's should be minimum really.
    Anyway roll on next season, and we can all get on the bus with the team for hopefully a reasonable outcome..🍺🤞
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Clearly Thomas had little or no faith in Jacko, hence the 18 month "contract" with the rather loaded proviso of x finish or byeee, can't see Garner ever agreeing to a similar contract, he has a 3 year deal, and no doubt, the usual payoff if and when required, subject to balance of contract at the time.
    I feel that Thomas was sounding a bit less gun ho in his recent interview, and seemed to be aiming for playoff's, and with a bit of luck maybe top two, playoff's should be minimum really.
    Anyway roll on next season, and we can all get on the bus with the team for hopefully a reasonable outcome..🍺🤞
    Well we are 11th favourite for promotion, which is a bit of a reality check.
  • Options

Well we are 11th favourite for promotion, which is a bit of a reality check.

Bookies...Bah, what do they know..😎
  • Options
    Lump on then, we were 6/1 to get promoted last I saw 😅
  • Options
    Lump on then, we were 6/1 to get promoted last I saw 😅
    Who do ya think got them to 6/1.. B)
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    clive said:
    “His style is possession based and playing in the opposition’s half. He didn’t necessarily execute that at Rovers but I saw his Swindon side a couple of times last season and they definitely played in his image – they had the highest possession percentage in League Two.
    League One is a tough league to do that in if you haven’t got the players to do that."

“The recruitment side at Rovers, which wasn’t entirely in his hands and was more a joint operation, there were a few mistakes made there and that left holes in the team which made it hard. They didn’t get off to a good start."

That sounds familiar. 

Yes it does, you’re talking about the setup at Swindon, right?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Oggy Red said:
    clive said:

That sounds familiar. 

Rovers... 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Oggy Red said:
    clive said:

That sounds familiar. 

Rovers... 
    I know, but Garner didn’t have complete control at Swindon either. He was head coach and worked under a DoF.