Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    Sage said:
    I have met and spoke to Gilbey many times and can assure you all he is an intelligent man who has time for those around him. He is not unsettled either. I am sure he would say so himself that he has changed since becoming a father. The abuse he has received from here and on social media is far too harsh. He’s not played great through the second half of the season but he was excellent through the Jackson caretaker spell.

If you look at his Charlton career, it’s not gone the way he wanted at all. And there are reasons for that, normal football and human life reasons that people often overlook.

He came in to a side who had been relegated and the squad decimated. He started bright and then picked up an injury. He played through the injury as he wanted to continue to play and try to help the team. It didn’t work and he was out for longer.

He then came back into the side and seemingly fell out of favour with Bowyer, playing him in all kinds of positions and being singled out for criticism. He came out the team again but was struggling to get back to fitness and that management style at the time was not ideal.

Adkins came in and played him as a 10 and he was very good at the back end of that season. People talking about a new Gilbey and whatever it might have been. We were impressed.

He missed a large part, if not all of pre season because he had a severe case of covid. That took a big hit on his fitness and possibly a bit on his confidence too.

Gets himself in a position to help the team after hard work and does very well up until the middle of December.

Then Jackson gets made permanent, we have case after case of covid and injuries start to mount including our 3 main strikers. All of our players in that period were poor.

Players start to come back and by this point, the season is over, there is a lot of internal politics, players do not know their future and because of the system being played, he often found himself having to be almost a right midfielder and not a central midfielder being asked to help the attack because Matthews as right wing back offered nearly nothing going forward.

His best position is one of two 8s in a 3 man midfield with actual wide players available. We rarely played that throughout his time here.

His performances haven’t been great and he would say the same but the criticism is well over board and has been for a while and that, alongside it being a general census so people will lean towards that opinion, contributes to his average marks. But at the same time, people like myself never score players so it is also skewed as well.

If he leaves, it looks like I’ll be one in a minority who will be sad to see him go because he can offer us so much next season and I hope he stays and proves many people wrong because in a team who has the ball more than they don’t, and creates more chances, he is actually a type of player who could shine. 
    Meeting players can make you see them through rose tinted specs sometimes. 
    He’s a funny old player. Quite elegant when running with the ball, looked quite athletic, very good engine, but so disappointing once he actually tries to do something with it. 
    The number of times his runs ended in an assist or a goal you could count on the fingers of one finger.
    He’d pick up the ball, run forward with it, and everything would look so promising; and yet somehow nothing would ever, or almost never, come of it. He reminded me of Ulvestadt in that regard. 
    It’s a shame, and I’m sure he’s a nice guy, but I don’t think we’ll really miss him. If anything it was players like him that meant we underperformed last season, although I always, always wanted him to do well. 
    He’ll probably wind up elsewhere and have a great season. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Oh dear Lord!  🤦🏻‍♂️

This thread will still be going, on any one of the 487 tangents it has been sent on, when Garner’s three years are up! 

Anyway.  Welcome Ben. Good luck pal…you’re gonna need it with us lot!! 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Bit of an obscure tangent regarding Garner, and him watching last years games..
    seems he is living up to his Verb meaning..
    GARNER:
    VERB
    1. Gather or collect (something, especially information)..... B)
  • Options
    When does this get unstickied?
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Billyboy said:
    For what it's worth, don't post much on here, but enjoy reading the debates that goes on,, have a feeling ben garner might do ok if he gets backed and us supporters get behind him, only my feeling and my wish...+ few 🍺 had .. soz
    Well said, Billy. In Vino Veritas.
    And thanks for getting back to the thread message.  :)
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Sage said:
    I have met and spoke to Gilbey many times and can assure you all he is an intelligent man who has time for those around him. He is not unsettled either. I am sure he would say so himself that he has changed since becoming a father. The abuse he has received from here and on social media is far too harsh. He’s not played great through the second half of the season but he was excellent through the Jackson caretaker spell.

If you look at his Charlton career, it’s not gone the way he wanted at all. And there are reasons for that, normal football and human life reasons that people often overlook.

He came in to a side who had been relegated and the squad decimated. He started bright and then picked up an injury. He played through the injury as he wanted to continue to play and try to help the team. It didn’t work and he was out for longer.

He then came back into the side and seemingly fell out of favour with Bowyer, playing him in all kinds of positions and being singled out for criticism. He came out the team again but was struggling to get back to fitness and that management style at the time was not ideal.

Adkins came in and played him as a 10 and he was very good at the back end of that season. People talking about a new Gilbey and whatever it might have been. We were impressed.

He missed a large part, if not all of pre season because he had a severe case of covid. That took a big hit on his fitness and possibly a bit on his confidence too.

Gets himself in a position to help the team after hard work and does very well up until the middle of December.

Then Jackson gets made permanent, we have case after case of covid and injuries start to mount including our 3 main strikers. All of our players in that period were poor.

Players start to come back and by this point, the season is over, there is a lot of internal politics, players do not know their future and because of the system being played, he often found himself having to be almost a right midfielder and not a central midfielder being asked to help the attack because Matthews as right wing back offered nearly nothing going forward.

His best position is one of two 8s in a 3 man midfield with actual wide players available. We rarely played that throughout his time here.

His performances haven’t been great and he would say the same but the criticism is well over board and has been for a while and that, alongside it being a general census so people will lean towards that opinion, contributes to his average marks. But at the same time, people like myself never score players so it is also skewed as well.

If he leaves, it looks like I’ll be one in a minority who will be sad to see him go because he can offer us so much next season and I hope he stays and proves many people wrong because in a team who has the ball more than they don’t, and creates more chances, he is actually a type of player who could shine. 
    Meeting players can make you see them through rose tinted specs sometimes. 
    He’s a funny old player. Quite elegant when running with the ball, looked quite athletic, very good engine, but so disappointing once he actually tries to do something with it. 
    The number of times his runs ended in an assist or a goal you could count on the fingers of one finger.
    He’d pick up the ball, run forward with it, and everything would look so promising; and yet somehow nothing would ever, or almost never, come of it. He reminded me of Ulvestadt in that regard. 
    It’s a shame, and I’m sure he’s a nice guy, but I don’t think we’ll really miss him. If anything it was players like him that meant we underperformed last season, although I always, always wanted him to do well. 
    He’ll probably wind up elsewhere and have a great season. 
    Whilst you could see through rose tinted spectacles when meeting a player in person, appreciate that, I also think analysing a players usefulness to the team based on the fans overall fans forum rating for the season I think is equally unfair!!

For the simple fact of the matter that listening to the majority of fans and their views on certain players on a week to week basis suggests to me that they have never played the game in their lives!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    But I'm just a humble cabbage, what do I know, etc
    Why is this my first promote ffs
    Morning, Leuthy. Just bask in the glory, mate. You've earned it! :smiley:

• Options
    Yep let it sink to the bottom of the ocean and it can take all its 80s perms and negativity with it 😀
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    Yep let it sink to the bottom of the ocean and it can take all its 80s perms and negativity with it 😀
    Good shout, it will keep coming back though.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Two more than Henry now
    What’s a promote anyway?
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Well deserved, and long overdue. 😉👏
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Two more than Henry now
    What’s a promote anyway?
    The first rule of a promote is do not talk about a promote. 
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Two more than Henry now
    What’s a promote anyway?
    It’s something that has no real meaning in life, apart from whistling to yourself on the way to work and thinking “I’ve arrived”…..by the time you have your first coffee off the day, it’s a distant memory. 
  • Options

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    paulfox said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Two more than Henry now
    What’s a promote anyway?
    It’s something that has no real meaning in life, apart from whistling to yourself on the way to work and thinking “I’ve arrived”…..by the time you have your first coffee off the day, it’s a distant memory. 
    Proper 'man with only two promotes' response there
  • Options
    Promotes are so last decade.

• Options
    Ok thanks chaps, still not  got a fucking clue!!😂😂 is it something you would celebrate with you’re cock in custard?,asking for a friend.👍
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    I believe a promote is something handed out to fragile egos - like a most improved player award-  a true giant of the forum would never receive one - trust me 👍
    Bit like knoshing your teacher off for better grades?, or maybe metaphorically Knoshing Airman off and like all his posts because it’s Airman? I think I get it now, oh well won’t hold my breath for that one!!😂😂
  • Options

Tell me about it, only got 10 of them and 6 or 7 was in the promotion season, which was last decade :smile:
  • Options
    Sage said:

Tell me about it, only got 10 of them and 6 or 7 was in the promotion season, which was last decade :smile:
    Exactly.  I had 143 but sold mine and bought crypto
  • Options
    Sage said:

And now you’re a secret millionaire 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Sage said:

And now you’re a secret millionaire 
    Just need to convert my OneCoin crypto to sterling and I will be
  • Options
    Not shy of a Willy wave on this forum!!🤣🙄