Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    cabbles said:
    Good news if Purrington has gone - good pro, always worked hard but not good enough to get us out this league 
    Even though he has previously proved that he is good enough to get us out of this league?
    I think that might be down to the fact we had a championship standard midfield, with a championship standard striker in Taylor. Bowyer got lucky to have that in league 1. Everyone knows purrington is extremely limited 
    That's changing history. Purrington was very very good when he came in, solid defensively and tidy with the ball. He wasn't a star player but was a steady full-back who did his job well on a regular basis. More than good enough to be back up IMO although I would certainly want someone different starting most games. 
    Exactly what you've said ..... "a steady full-back who did his job well on a regular basis".

But perhaps that's not what we need in his position - if the gameplan dictates pacy wingbacks, as we've seen, that's not really Purrington's game.

Doesn't matter how good the player is, if he's not what we need in that position, he'll be let go.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    cabbles said:
    Good news if Purrington has gone - good pro, always worked hard but not good enough to get us out this league 
    Even though he has previously proved that he is good enough to get us out of this league?
    I think that might be down to the fact we had a championship standard midfield, with a championship standard striker in Taylor. Bowyer got lucky to have that in league 1. Everyone knows purrington is extremely limited 
    That's changing history. Purrington was very very good when he came in, solid defensively and tidy with the ball. He wasn't a star player but was a steady full-back who did his job well on a regular basis. More than good enough to be back up IMO although I would certainly want someone different starting most games. 
    Exactly what you've said ..... "a steady full-back who did his job well on a regular basis".

But perhaps that's not what we need in his position - if the gameplan dictates pacy wingbacks, as we've seen, that's not really Purrington's game.

Doesn't matter how good the player is, if he's not what we need in that position, he'll be let go.

No that’s true enough and if I was in charge, I’d have Purrington and then another pacey more attacking LB as my two. I never actually said anything about how good he would be for us in the future, just that the previous poster was unfair. I don’t think keeping or releasing Purrington will determine how successful we are but I’d be surprised if we sign two better than him. 
  • Options
    Ben Garner, whoah
    Ben Garner, whoah
    He comes from Pembury
    And plays football progressively

;) 
    I like it, it’s catchy.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    He would be better served watching all the U18 and U23 action from last season.
    Not that we get to see such stuff other than on a haphazard and random often last minute basis.
    I hope that coverage of below first team football is hugely improved by the communications team next season.
    So don't watch the first team, have no idea about the players you have and what is required and watch the U18/23's instead? Ridiculous.
    Are you making some kind of point?
    Charlton TV subscribers are partially enticed by a suggestion that development level games are covered.
    Up to now that has been haphazard and unpredictable and I am hoping for it to get better.
    We are not allowed to watch games at Sparrows Lane, even with a season ticket.
    Now my opinions are probably rubbish, but some others, and some other posters know that I have always been interested in commenting on the play and players below first team level, and have built up some knowledge of that part of the club.
    If you think that it is ridiculous that I hope for better coverage then fine, but what I think is happening is you are once again seizing on an opportunity to have a dig at me for no reason because I don’t continually worship the comms team but want them to give a better service.
    Another person describes it as a vendetta, which it isn’t. It is a desire for better coverage, and by the way that includes better camera coverage and commentary when it falls short.
    It is like certain people are above criticism, but Seth Plum deserves as much criticism as can be brewed up. I do not describe your posts as ridiculous, I have explained my point of view, if you think there is something wrong with the detail of what I write then comment on that rather than your continual baseless personal digs.
    This is the next manager/Ben Garner confirmed thread.

The discussion was around Garner watching last season's first team games, so that he will be well versed in the players he has and the players he would need, which seems very sensible to me.

You suggested that he would be better off not watching the first team games to get up to speed with our first team, but "he would be better served watching the U18 and U23 games".

I said that it ridiculous which it clearly is.

(I'm not interested in a discussion on the manager thread, about anything else you have added inappropriately).

Seth is innocent, ok?
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Scoham said:
    Good stuff but can see him regretting the move about 2 games in.
    Thanks for giving me the first laugh of the day, just wait until he gets to the Lincoln and Ipswich away matches!
    He will probably be concluding that it will be difficult not to be successful here!
    Is Ben a masochist !! 

Good luck to him - let’s hope he turns it around.
  • Options
    We've had infinitely worse than Purrington over the last few years but if he's going then good luck and thanks for Wembley alone. As for BG watching games, you'd kind of hope he may have done a bit of this prior to his interview.
  • Options

Shocker indeed, would have aged us all very badly...that's for sure..shame indeed...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Not that we get to see such stuff other than on a haphazard and random often last minute basis.
    I hope that coverage of below first team football is hugely improved by the communications team next season.
    So don't watch the first team, have no idea about the players you have and what is required and watch the U18/23's instead? Ridiculous.
    Charlton TV subscribers are partially enticed by a suggestion that development level games are covered.
    Up to now that has been haphazard and unpredictable and I am hoping for it to get better.
    Now my opinions are probably rubbish, but some others, and some other posters know that I have always been interested in commenting on the play and players below first team level, and have built up some knowledge of that part of the club.
    If you think that it is ridiculous that I hope for better coverage then fine, but what I think is happening is you are once again seizing on an opportunity to have a dig at me for no reason because I don’t continually worship the comms team but want them to give a better service.
    Another person describes it as a vendetta, which it isn’t. It is a desire for better coverage, and by the way that includes better camera coverage and commentary when it falls short.
    It is like certain people are above criticism, but Seth Plum deserves as much criticism as can be brewed up. I do not describe your posts as ridiculous, I have explained my point of view, if you think there is something wrong with the detail of what I write then comment on that rather than your continual baseless personal digs.

The discussion was around Garner watching last season's first team games, so that he will be well versed in the players he has and the players he would need, which seems very sensible to me.

You suggested that he would be better off not watching the first team games to get up to speed with our first team, but "he would be better served watching the U18 and U23 games".

(I'm not interested in a discussion on the manager thread, about anything else you have added inappropriately).

I did not say this at all.
    I understand the Spanish trip will involve a lot of development players, players the club hopes to bring through.
    At no time did I suggest Garner should not watch as many first team videos as he chooses, I was suggesting additional research which in the current circumstances might prove fruitful.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

I understand the Spanish trip will involve a lot of development players, players the club hopes to bring through.
    At no time did I suggest Garner should not watch as many first team videos as he chooses, I was suggesting additional research which in the current circumstances might prove fruitful.
    You suggested he’d be better watching the youth games than first team ones. I’m with Covered End, it has to be the first team games in the first instance. Garner should get the opportunity to have a look at a few of the younger players in pre-season and needs to speak to the coaches about them. But it's the first team which has to come first, the U23's will step up when they're ready. 
  • Options
    Charwill said:
    So is euell staying?

Euell has been a good coach and he will always have a close connection with the club. It will be sad to see him go, but perhaps it's time for him to properly test himself if he really wants a job in management.

For his sake, I hope he has been applying for league two positions and doesn't give up.

Considering he used to play for them...he probably would have very much wanted the AFC Wimbledon job.

It's a competitive battle. I personally don't think staying at Charlton will do him any favours to be honest. 

The club needs fresh faces all round
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We've had infinitely worse than Purrington over the last few years but if he's going then good luck and thanks for Wembley alone. As for BG watching games, you'd kind of hope he may have done a bit of this prior to his interview.
    He almost certainly had - if he's "in the process" that sounds like he's already part way through rather than just starting out to me.
  • Options
    CONCERNED? Everyone, find the corner where you stuffed the Jubilee bunting 
  • Options
    masicat said:
    Just a quick heads up on Purrington. I had it on pretty good authority yesterday that both Purrington and Gilbey had been told they can leave. Source is normally reliable which is why I posted the Purrington rumour. Was a bit more concerned about the Gilbey rumour as it didn’t make much sense at this stage. Anyway, that’s what I was told. Time will tell. 
    Gilbey makes sense as long as we replace him with better. He doesn’t fit a possession style and doesn’t score or create enough to make up for that.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

You suggested he’d be better watching the youth games than first team ones. I’m with Covered End, it has to be the first team games in the first instance. Garner should get the opportunity to have a look at a few of the younger players in pre-season and needs to speak to the coaches about them. But it's the first team which has to come first, the U23's will step up when they're ready. 
    Errr, no I didn’t suggest this.
    He can watch as many first team games as he likes.
    I said he would be better served watching the up and coming players, at no time did I say that would be at the expense of watching old film of the first team.
  • Options
    Ben Garner is in the process of watching all of the #cafc games from last season to gather more insight into the personal he has available to him.

Indeed. I did not say he ought not to watch first team games as that quote clearly shows.
  • Options
    masicat said:
    Just a quick heads up on Purrington. I had it on pretty good authority yesterday that both Purrington and Gilbey had been told they can leave. Source is normally reliable which is why I posted the Purrington rumour. Was a bit more concerned about the Gilbey rumour as it didn’t make much sense at this stage. Anyway, that’s what I was told. Time will tell. 

Assuming your source is accurate:

As Gilbey's form fell off a cliff after he peaked against Ipswich at home with his MOM performance I personally think this isn't a decision made by Ben Garner.
    Far from it, if he is watching from the start of the season, Charlton improved with Gilbey's legs in the team at least when JJ was caretaker.

Unlike Cabbles I always thought that Gilbey was a decent player and alongside Fraser on form and fit could be a good contrast in style; the creative player and the water carrier. 

We played an away game and Gilbey was on a yellow card; he then kicked the ball away and we had a lenient ref and he was lucky.

Against Lincoln after his first tug back of the shirt in a forward position, I said to my Mate, " oh fuck this is the day he gets sent off"  as I'm Mystic Meg's soulmate, before the first half was over, he did the walk of shame and another nail in JJ's football coffin at Cafc. 

The caveat is, if this is true I believe that Gilbey is unsettled and has probably received vile personal abuse from critics on social media as well as at the stadiums at away if not home games. I have major doubts about his straw brain ( mild in Twitter term)  there is a problem and as I have never spoken to him I can't be sure about his intelligence or his state of mine.

Purrington had a great spell under JJ and was a steady Eddie under Bowyer BUT his lack of pace can be exploited and the same applied to Matthews who has left the club.
    Ben Purrs as reserve LB would be fine.

• Options
    masicat said:
    Masicat. Never wrong.

I heard they’re being replaced by a Belgian and a Moroccan.