Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    colthe3rd said:
    that's a form of torture having to sit through our entire season in 1 week

god help him - he'll look 10 years older when he's next interviewed

He would do if he watched them all in a week. Would be about 10 hours a day. Maybe he's sharing the workload with Martin.

You'd like to presume Martin has already seen them ! 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    Good stuff but can see him regretting the move about 2 games in.

Is Martin Sandgaard trained enough to be a Doctor as well as an Analyst... Discuss?
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Scoham said:

Is Martin Sandgaard trained enough to be a Doctor as well as an Analyst... Discuss?
    Not sure but I believe he and his old man know one...
  • Options
    edited June 2022
  • Options
    Scoham said:

"Oh that Connor Washington is right up my high pressing street, that's a good start"
    "Yeah..so, about that....."
    Garner; I’ve said I want to score plenty of goals with my attacking philosophy, ok thanks for the effort Connor.
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    Wow, he said that.

Huge news

It would be, but I hear he's having second thoughts!
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    that's a form of torture having to sit through our entire season in 1 week

god help him - he'll look 10 years older when he's next interviewed

He would do if he watched them all in a week. Would be about 10 hours a day. Maybe he's sharing the workload with Martin.

Let's be honest he needs to watch around 2 games before coming to his conclusion

"Total wank"
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    Wow, he said that.

Huge news

Haha, posted on wrong thread...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @soapboxsam Agreed. Hopefully he notices the amount of stupid yellow cards we kept getting for poor discipline throughout the season.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    ButtleJR said:

That dot represent the situation before the big bang so please go to the Science thread.

Thanks for your input JR even if your messages from Thomas Sandgaard and Raelynn Maloney created more fights on CL than Frank Warren and Eddie Hearn put together worldwide !
  • Options
    Scoham said:

"Oh that Connor Washington is right up my high pressing street, that's a good start"
    "Yeah..so, about that....."
    On the flipside, think about how happy he's going to be after he watches Famewo spaff the ball out of play for the 15th time that minute and realises he doesn't have to see him.
    this is the sort of terminology commentators should be using, that and "he's spunked his chance there"
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    There's a lot of speculation on whether this is a good appt or not. What few are talking about is probably the most important issue of all ... Is there a good song than scans with the name "Ben Garner" or not?

I've got "Ben Ben Ben Gar-ner, Ben Ben Ben Gar-ner" to the popular soccer ballad "hez-hez hez bollah hez hez hez bollah". 

A quick trip to the eponymous manager's Wikipedia entry reveals a photo that makes him look like he's actually very much part of Hezbollah!! 

Also in Queen's "Don't stop me now" a possible song while we are winning: 

Instead of ...

"Don't stop me, don't stop me
    Don't stop me, hey, hey, hey
    Don't stop me, don't stop me
    Ooh, ooh, ooh, I like it
    Don't stop me, don't stop me
    Have a good time, good time". 

We've got:

"Ben Garner, Ben Garner
    Ben Garner hey hey hey
    Ben Garner Ben Garner 
    Ooh ooh ooh I like it. 
    Ben Garner Ben Garner 
    Have a good time good time". 

Anyone fancy getting started with either of those at the Dartford or Swansea warm ups next month?

I have nothing better to offer but it sounds like something the Croydon ultras would sing

Edit. Obviously not about Ben Garner though  :D
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Scoham said:

The bad, the good, the bad, the good, ending in the Ugly 4-0 when we started bad and then fell away at Ipswich when we should've worn boots not flip flops.

Hopefully he takes some solace from the Ipswich home game as how we can play and compete and the atmosphere when most are all on the same page.

Mighty challenge for Ben Garner to galvanize the players the fans and cheer Thomas Sandgaard up because he is our main man and can't see too many people taking on this under achieving South London club that we are stuck with until we/I die or the club dies first. Hopefully I go first but not before Daniel Kanu's son makes his debut.

I wish him luck as well as his skill set because both Nigel and Johnnie made mistakes but the injuries always happened to players when they were having good spells. 

Be a skilled and lucky manager Ben as without both you are screwed.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    So after all the shit flinging, it turns out Gallen and MS were responsible for shortlisting and doing most of the interviewing for managers after all. Gallen has not been sidelined.

You mean all the shit that was being flung at people who were questioning Mart's involvement in recruiting for the club, because, you know, he jsut sits on his arse all day picking his nose keeping an eye out for his dad? 

He just brings the analytics view to the recruitment committee. He doesn't get a final say, and Gallen brings the target list to the table.

Stand down.
    Exactly. I never got why people thought MS was totally in charge of recruitment. 

No one did... It was a myth made up by people who didn't like any criticism aimed at a Sandgaard, the same 3/4 posters refusing to accept what the debate was about probably to feel more "proper Charlton" as theyre not being "negative" with an "agenda".

Debate was around the process as described on more than one occasion, the level of input of each committee member and said people's skills and qualifications. Again. As described on more than one occasion by committee members as put out in the public domain, unfortunately, some people didn't want to refer to such materials, or most likely, believe it because it "didn't suit their narrative" so we had and still have the same people dismissing it and  the endless fucking debate.

Clearly remember posters saying it was outrageous that MS was ‘heading up’ recruitment, or words to that effect. 
    To be fair, loads of posters who be very critical about the amount of time it was taking to appoint a manager (despite players being in the hols) have been more placatory subsequently. 
  • Options
    Hopefully the make up of the first eleven will be unrecognisable. If it’s not then Bens going to need all those coaching skills.
    He's going to have his work cut out either way. Either trying to get the current lot of players to reinvent themselves pretty much across the board or by tearing it up and starting completely from scratch.

That said, he does seem to have a template for building teams and giving them an ID and for all you can say about Sandgaard it can't be said he's not willing to spend, so I'm hoping that we might just turn a corner.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Once again, message board histrionics. It states him watching each game, not every minute of each game. 

You never know, he might even watch the one minute Sky highlights.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I was sitting here thinking Garner needs to watch our games from last season to know the players he's inherited and what he needs. A minute later I read this.
    Seems like the best course of action.
  • Options
    He would be better served watching all the U18 and U23 action from last season.
    Not that we get to see such stuff other than on a haphazard and random often last minute basis.
    I hope that coverage of below first team football is hugely improved by the communications team next season.
  • Options
    it would be very poor if BG didn't watch them as besides the views of the JE etc it is the only way he will know what he has to work with and first off whether to offer Purrington a new deal.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Scoham said:
    Not sure the use in watching 11 players playing in incorrect positions, in a formation they barely knew, trying to play football with no game-plan or a clue. 

'Dobson looks alright though I guess, other than that 10 new signings please.'
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    He would be better served watching all the U18 and U23 action from last season.
    Not that we get to see such stuff other than on a haphazard and random often last minute basis.
    I hope that coverage of below first team football is hugely improved by the communications team next season.
    So don't watch the first team, have no idea about the players you have and what is required and watch the U18/23's instead? Ridiculous.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Scoham said:
    I was sitting here thinking Garner needs to watch our games from last season to know the players he's inherited and what he needs. A minute later I read this.
    Seems like the best course of action.

Totally agree.
    It's seems so obvious to some of us that to fix the problems, he needs to watch the matches from last season as why the passing was erratic and why some times the 3-5-2 worked fine, eg Ipswich and Plymouth at home, etc but Oxford at home and Ipswich away to pick just the biggest defeats we were awful.  He has a mammoth task but he should relish the opportunity as there are hundreds if not thousands of young coaches and managers who are well qualified from League 2 downwards. 

He can try any fluid formations he wants, it's his gig now but it's not just goals scored, top marks for the Robins but Swindon did concede more than any other team in the top 10 of League 2 so the evolution may still be on going in his coaching mind on what formation to play. 3-4-3,4-3-3 etc.

I hope he can work out why Gilbey can be so good in some matches, Ipswich at home but headless chicken at other times ?

They say you learn more from mistakes so Ben Garner may end up as Albert Einstein after watching some of those matches !