Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    cabbles said:
    Leuth said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Leuth said:
    I repeat: with Pratley as a fringe player we got promoted, then when he was a regular starter we got relegated and then flailed miserably in League One and people were still pissed off when he was rightfully released 
    Blimey, Leuth, that's rewriting history .... you can't blame Pratley for getting us relegated from the Championship. He was a key member of that side when we were riding high in the first dozen matches and never let us down. The savage injury crisis, 14 players out injured (including leading goalscorer T*yl*r), for much of the autumn/winter, did for us. Then we lost Gallagher and after the season recommenced, T*yl*r acted the asshole. Maybe also Bowyer's  negativity. But you can't blame Pratley for our relegation..

Without Pratley, perhaps we wouldn't even have been promoted at all ....... his never-say-die performance and goal against Donny and his leadership in that 1st half in the Wembley play off final when we might otherwise have collapsed completely were vital.

And that was only during games. He was a positive influence in the dressing room also. You need leaders in your squad.
    He was already 36 when he was released but still athletic - compare to Ben Watson, for example, a year younger?

We know Pratley was no silky ballplayer - but Bowyer signed him to add ballwinning, backbone and grit to the side. That's what we got, didn't we?

In a game where we had a two-goal aggregate lead and then shipped three unanswered before their keeper threw him one? This is what I mean by big games distorting opinions disproportionately. 

I'm also not saying that he was a major factor in our relegation, but the fact is that we got relegated in a season where he was a key player, becoming more key as the season wore on and our form got worse. And the other fact is that we were shocking the season after, in the league below, with him starting more or less every game (once Bowyer, the Mad King, decided Levitt wasn't tough enough or whatever).

I mentioned him because someone else gave him as an example of a player who'd take a game by the scruff of the neck, the sort of player we should think about signing. I think a player like Pratley would be completely anathemical to Garner's methods, and I dispute the narrative of him as an inspirational midfielder. Where I agree is that we have lacked inspiration from midfield since the Championship season.
    In his last season he was woeful.  He was only in the team because he was Bowyer’s man through and through and Bowyer was slowly losing the dressing room and just wanted players to get stuck in as he ran out of ideas.  

There were so many bad games.  Overall he was a positive signing, but we should’ve got rid of him a season before we did.  
    Easy to say in hindsight 

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    Leuth said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Leuth said:
    I repeat: with Pratley as a fringe player we got promoted, then when he was a regular starter we got relegated and then flailed miserably in League One and people were still pissed off when he was rightfully released 
    Blimey, Leuth, that's rewriting history .... you can't blame Pratley for getting us relegated from the Championship. He was a key member of that side when we were riding high in the first dozen matches and never let us down. The savage injury crisis, 14 players out injured (including leading goalscorer T*yl*r), for much of the autumn/winter, did for us. Then we lost Gallagher and after the season recommenced, T*yl*r acted the asshole. Maybe also Bowyer's  negativity. But you can't blame Pratley for our relegation..

Without Pratley, perhaps we wouldn't even have been promoted at all ....... his never-say-die performance and goal against Donny and his leadership in that 1st half in the Wembley play off final when we might otherwise have collapsed completely were vital.

And that was only during games. He was a positive influence in the dressing room also. You need leaders in your squad.
    He was already 36 when he was released but still athletic - compare to Ben Watson, for example, a year younger?

We know Pratley was no silky ballplayer - but Bowyer signed him to add ballwinning, backbone and grit to the side. That's what we got, didn't we?

In a game where we had a two-goal aggregate lead and then shipped three unanswered before their keeper threw him one? This is what I mean by big games distorting opinions disproportionately. 

I'm also not saying that he was a major factor in our relegation, but the fact is that we got relegated in a season where he was a key player, becoming more key as the season wore on and our form got worse. And the other fact is that we were shocking the season after, in the league below, with him starting more or less every game (once Bowyer, the Mad King, decided Levitt wasn't tough enough or whatever).

I mentioned him because someone else gave him as an example of a player who'd take a game by the scruff of the neck, the sort of player we should think about signing. I think a player like Pratley would be completely anathemical to Garner's methods, and I dispute the narrative of him as an inspirational midfielder. Where I agree is that we have lacked inspiration from midfield since the Championship season.
    In his last season he was woeful.  He was only in the team because he was Bowyer’s man through and through and Bowyer was slowly losing the dressing room and just wanted players to get stuck in as he ran out of ideas.  

There were so many bad games.  Overall he was a positive signing, but we should’ve got rid of him a season before we did.  
    Easy to say in hindsight 

Wow - Gallagher and Cullen in one list. For all the faults from that era of supporting Charlton, we didnt half get some decent players in the door.
  • Options
    Any thoughts on who should be captain next season or is he yet to arrive ? 

Gilbey 100%
    Nailed on mate
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    It is all very well trying to play high press possession football but what we really have to do to get out pf L1 is win games, and to win games the first thing is not to concede goals. Give me a 1-0 win rather. than a 3-2 loss any day. Conceding 54 goals in a season is not the 3 way to go.

What ever it takes to get promoted
    Agreed 100%, a mate said this feels a bit of a Karl Robinson type appointment, lots of possession, will be pretty on the eye etc. That doesn’t get you promoted out of this league as Oxford have found, we need players that can play but can also show grit on a wet Tuesday night against Accrington. Hopefully we have that in our locker too. 
  • Options
    I agree, I think the vibe has changed, it got nastier post managerial appointment with a collection of people taking umbrage and moaning like fuck because someone or other has a concern or worry or view on something they can’t agree with or don’t want to hear.  We are all Charlton fans, we all want them to do well BUT it’s valid to have concerns and worries and expressing them on a forum, whether one agrees or not, because it is exactly what the forum is for.  Let’s all step back and take a breath, don’t pick up on one little thing and get the shits.  Just move on or have a cup of tea…..or an Imodium
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    shirty5 said:
    These should be his first 2 signings before anything else is done 
    I think TS realises that and is just playing crafty.

Much like RD TS doesn't like employing managers who want to bring their own backroom, as it's double bubble when he sacks them. I suspect it's more to do with the restrictive contracts he's offering.
    Didn't Luzon, Peters and Riga all bring back room staff with them?  Slade did, Robinson did.  It was only after KM left and RD gave up (chicken or egg?) that Bowyer didn't?
    My understanding was they were RD people, not Luzon, Peters or Riga's.

I fully expect the two guys to arrive, but suspect the delay/wrangling is over terms, and not the minor compensation to Swindon. They won't be getting straight 3 year deals! We are also yet to hear/understand (nor will we likely to) the terms of Garners, could it be like Jacksons and severance will be performance related? 
    If they were Roland people not Riga etc people why did they all change when the manager did?  Barker and Nugent weren't RD people.

The Jackson contract has no bearing on anything other than Thomas didn't really want Jackson and didn't like the football.  Full stop.  It was a tool to get a job done.  No evidence at all it's been used again.

Your either putting 2 and 2 together and making 25 or still grieving.
    Barker and Nugent were when RD had an about turn of actually employing experience in English leagues Managers.

I agree TS had doubts about Jackson, but he does about everyone. He has a very clear vision as to what he wants and how to achieve that, which in many respects is great, if it works. Two years in and so far it's been a categoric failure and I don't see much change between simply repeating the same mistakes time after time. Anyone notice TS saying signings will likely be towards the end of the window? Has he learnt nothing from last year? Or does he believe players will be more desperate, and therefore cheaper, as the window draws to a close? 

I really really hope I'm wrong and Garner becomes a massive success with us, but he'll be another manager (coach) working with an arm tied behind his back, make no mistake. We'll have a very small squad thats fit and up to speed by the 1st game, remember we're starting at the end of July this year! The window closes 1st September.....

FWIW I believe from speaking to people in the game Garner is a very respected coach, but then one of the most respected in the game was Les Read - management didn't exactly work out for him and he didn't work for an owner who wanted to dictate the style of play (AFAIK!).

As I say, I truly hope he'll be a massive success, and maybe he will and take us back to the premiership only leaving to take over from Southgate....... but the current set up and based on the last two years, he's set up to fail IMHO.
    Just when you thought the vibe has at last changed around the place (and it’s safe to go back in the water), you still have the glass half empty brigade having their two pennies worth of negativity.
    The reality is that none of us know ‘for sure’ where things are heading, however for gods sake let’s be positive and give the set up our 100% backing.
    Surely that’s what being a true supporter is all about. 🫣🫣🫣
    What vibe has changed?

I'll be there week in week out supporting the team as always, doesn't mean I can't have an opinion outside of that, good or bad. 

Theres a lot of great stuff going on, but frankly I've see nothing bar appointing a manager that gives me any view that we will do any better than last season out on the pitch. That may change of course if we have a successful window, but history is beginning to tell me that's less likely to happen than is.
  • Options
    RedRobin said:
    It is all very well trying to play high press possession football but what we really have to do to get out pf L1 is win games, and to win games the first thing is not to concede goals. Give me a 1-0 win rather. than a 3-2 loss any day. Conceding 54 goals in a season is not the 3 way to go.

What ever it takes to get promoted
    Agreed 100%, a mate said this feels a bit of a Karl Robinson type appointment, lots of possession, will be pretty on the eye etc. That doesn’t get you promoted out of this league as Oxford have found, we need players that can play but can also show grit on a wet Tuesday night against Accrington. Hopefully we have that in our locker too. 
    Generally speaking and it’s very generally speaking if you play good football or football well it goes along with good results. You can’t play good football with bad players so a good footballing side by definition has good players. I’ll take our chances doing it that way rather than all this plan b bollox. Garner has already said that we’ll have a style that we’ll play home and away. I like the sound of that and the cut of Garners jib.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Imagine you're Ben Garner, you think now you're in post you'll just nip over and see what the Charlton fans have to say about you, and it's just pages and pages of arguing about Darren fucking Pratley. He'll have handed his notice in by tomorrow
    Or he will speak to his mate Chorley and sign him back......
  • Options
    Imagine you're Ben Garner, you think now you're in post you'll just nip over and see what the Charlton fans have to say about you, and it's just pages and pages of arguing about Darren fucking Pratley. He'll have handed his notice in by tomorrow
    Or signed Darren Pratley...
  • Options
    There's a lot of speculation on whether this is a good appt or not. What few are talking about is probably the most important issue of all ... Is there a good song than scans with the name "Ben Garner" or not?

I've got "Ben Ben Ben Gar-ner, Ben Ben Ben Gar-ner" to the popular soccer ballad "hez-hez hez bollah hez hez hez bollah". 

A quick trip to the eponymous manager's Wikipedia entry reveals a photo that makes him look like he's actually very much part of Hezbollah!! 

Also in Queen's "Don't stop me now" a possible song while we are winning: 

Instead of ...

"Don't stop me, don't stop me
    Don't stop me, hey, hey, hey
    Don't stop me, don't stop me
    Ooh, ooh, ooh, I like it
    Have a good time, good time". 

We've got:

"Ben Garner, Ben Garner
    Ben Garner hey hey hey
    Ben Garner Ben Garner 
    Ooh ooh ooh I like it. 
    Ben Garner Ben Garner 
    Have a good time good time". 

Anyone fancy getting started with either of those at the Dartford or Swansea warm ups next month?

• Options
    Any thoughts on who should be captain next season or is he yet to arrive ? 

Gilbey 100%
    Lavelle or if by way of a miracle fitness wise Inniss..If neither of those, then it would have to be someone new coming in..
  • Options
    This is like being booted up in the air by Pratters himself. Glorious fun
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    ross1 said:
    Leuth said:
    ross1 said:
    Leuth said:
    ross1 said:
    I thought in the play off final, after our own goal, it was Pratley who drove us on for the next 15 minutes until the rest of the team came together, or is my old memory fading?
    He did some fouls and pushed someone over. He then played precisely no part whatsoever in the stunning team move that actually equalised for us
    That was the whole point, the team looked flat at that point, but he chased around, got stuck in and this is what made the rest of the team get going again. You need a player like that when things go wrong and the team stops playing
    Do you? A manager like Garner is trying to build a system by which the team will always be able to respond calmly to setbacks through possession play and team pressing, rather than relying on one man to hare about aggressively (which does the other 10 players down tbh; it wasn't just Pratley who rose to the occasion)
    You are talking about human beings. When things go wrong, some rise to the occasion and others hold back. No matter how good a manager is and what tactics he plays, the individual will act as his nature. End of my opinion, obviously not yours, but everyone entitled to theirs
    Steady on!
  • Options
    There's a lot of speculation on whether this is a good appt or not. What few are talking about is probably the most important issue of all ... Is there a good song than scans with the name "Ben Garner" or not?

I've got "Ben Ben Ben Gar-ner, Ben Ben Ben Gar-ner" to the popular soccer ballad "hez-hez hez bollah hez hez hez bollah". 

A quick trip to the eponymous manager's Wikipedia entry reveals a photo that makes him look like he's actually very much part of Hezbollah!! 

Also in Queen's "Don't stop me now" a possible song while we are winning: 

Instead of ...

"Don't stop me, don't stop me
    Don't stop me, hey, hey, hey
    Ooh, ooh, ooh, I like it
    Have a good time, good time". 

We've got:

"Ben Garner, Ben Garner
    Ben Garner hey hey hey
    Ben Garner Ben Garner 
    Ooh ooh ooh I like it. 
    Ben Garner Ben Garner 
    Have a good time good time". 

Anyone fancy getting started with either of those at the Dartford or Swansea warm ups next month?

Needs a guitar solo...
    I wonder who could do that?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Good stuff but can see him regretting the move about 2 games in.
    Thanks for giving me the first laugh of the day, just wait until he gets to the Lincoln and Ipswich away matches!
    He will probably be concluding that it will be difficult not to be successful here!
  • Options
    *takes notes* Be better than that pile of shit....
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Scoham said:
    Good stuff but can see him regretting the move about 2 games in.
    How to Charltonise yourself in one easy step.

”This Washington fella looks like he has a bit about him. I’m really looking forward to working with him…”
  • Options
    that's a form of torture having to sit through our entire season in 1 week

god help him - he'll look 10 years older when he's next interviewed
  • Options
    that's a form of torture having to sit through our entire season in 1 week

god help him - he'll look 10 years older when he's next interviewed

He would do if he watched them all in a week. Would be about 10 hours a day. Maybe he's sharing the workload with Martin.