Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    Gilbey at home to Ipswich I’d keep all day long but as others have said don’t do it enough plus been told he is a bad apple around the place. I’d give him one more chance 
  • Options
    Sage - completely agree re Gilbey, there is a good midfielder in there and he should be retained
  • Options
    cazo said:
    Gilbey at home to Ipswich I’d keep all day long but as others have said don’t do it enough plus been told he is a bad apple around the place. I’d give him one more chance 
    Ignoring his previous performances and rumour, counter rumour, and innuendo about his character, I look at usefulness.

Whatever system we play next season it's almost a cast iron certainty we will play with a 6 and two 8s next season, most of the time.  We need a right footed 8 of at least the level of JFC/Fraser and cover/competition/options for Dobson.  There isn't room for that and both Gilbey and Morgan, else we will be short elsewhere.

On the other hand Purrington offers competition as a full back and can play as a wing back or left sided center back if we had to.
  • Options
    Seth Plum and Covered end have history and are two very different characters. Knowing Covered end he wouldn't be a fan of *Samuel Becket and the world of the absurd which both Mr Plum and I visit at times. Covered end would never wait for Godot !

Only had one conversation with Seth in the Charlton cafe but he is a good guy and an individual. Covered end is normally the voice of reason even though we have polemic views on woman's football. 

The good news for Seth and all Charlton fans is Ben Garner want all the Charlton teams from the youth to the 1st team to play the same way. This is a fine ambition but quite difficult to achieve because of the limitations of some players at our level.

Edit* I put Thomas Becket at first not Samuel, how completely absurd is that 🤦🏻‍♂️
    And what you may not know is that they have season tickets together as well, all very strange.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Sage said:
    People will see it as excuses, I see it as facts of what’s happened through his 2 years at the club. It’s not been an easy ride or plain sailing by any means.
    I think because the argument is essentially along the lines of - Yes he has been poor for two seasons but it's not his fault.

• Options
    Not really that fussed about Gilbey either way although Sage makes a well considered adult case for him staying in contrast to certain childish, privileged tantrums.

Equally, Gilbert hasn't impacted positively enough to justify his place in the side IMHO.

But three keys points.

Firstly, he's still under contract so even if we want to let him go he can stay.

Secondly, WIOTOS 

Thirdly, why the feck is this on the Ben Garner, rather than the transfer rumours, thread?

• Options
    I've only seen Gilbey have a good game on a handful of occasions. If we're replacing him, I wish him all the best, just hasn't worked out here for him so far 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They have ALL been a fucking liability at one point in a totally crap 3-4 years and THEREFORE should all be considered for the exit door.

• Options
    I think the biggest factor facing Garner will be the expectation level. That goes for any of the so-called big clubs in League One. There is fan/media pressure from the start and early losses will be tough to deal with.

IMO best thing we can do as a fan base is to judge the performances rather than the results. If Garner is to change us into an attacking team it will take time. Two months is nowhere near enough. Nine months minimum to get us playing how he wants us to. Telling factor will be whether he's given the time to make an impact. 
  • Options
    I like Gilbey, he seems like a really nice bloke who wants to do well for Charlton and on his day he's a very good player. Based on his output at Charlton though he's one of the last people you would want in a team all about retaining possession. He's an averages player - a difficult pass, a run with players in front of him, Gilbey tries the stuff that doesn't come off a lot of the time. When it works he breaks the lines and when it doesn't he loses the ball. Fine if you're playing that way but if we want to keep the ball then Gilbey isn't the man to do it. I think he'd benefit from a fresh start anyway. His confidence is clearly very low and when he loses the ball, which he'll always do, he doesn't seem to recover too well at the moment. If he stays great, I hope he does well, but I wouldn't be massively surprised if he's not the kind of midfielder that Garner wants.
    Good analysis.

Think that is where I am
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    They have ALL been a fucking liability at one point in a totally crap 3-4 years and THEREFORE should all be considered for the exit door.

If you ever watched a game you would realize that both Corey Blackett-Taylor and George Dobson have progressed but I realize you only come on CL to slag off so please carry on if that makes you happy.  :#
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Just on the BG piece about watching every game from last season, I remember Bielsa doing something similar when he took over at Leeds. It’s quite common and the modern way. If he can do half the job Bielsa did at Leeds we will be in a good place. 

Regarding Gibby, as I now affectionately know him by thanks to the Cheltenham commentary team, average player that has been stop and start since joining us, I think there is better out there we could be looking at. 
  • Options
    I’m not a fan of either Gilbey or Morgan. I think they go missing in games particularly away from home. My son who is not an overly critical supporter by nature calls them ghosts. Gilbey is a strange one . He is definitely a talented footballer but tends to be anonymous in the first half of games and then seems to try harder or get stronger in the last 15-20 mins ( often when we are chasing the game) 
    I guess at League 1 level, a lack of consistency is not unusual. 
  • Options
    Neither Gilbey or Purrington are as bad as their critics would have you believe.
    However their time at CAFC has come to a natural end and I won't shed any tears provided that, as the man said, we bring in better.
    With our recruitment record I'd rather get replacements in before pushing them out of the door.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If you ever watched a game you would realize that both Corey Blackett-Taylor and George Dobson have progressed but I realize you only come on CL to slag off so please carry on if that makes you happy.  :#
    Thankyou for the permission I will.
  • Options
    Any transfer rumours?

Erm hang on, what thread am I on, oh excellent we’ve got a manager, close thread, job done.
  • Options
    RedRobin said:
    Just on the BG piece about watching every game from last season, I remember Bielsa doing something similar when he took over at Leeds. It’s quite common and the modern way. If he can do half the job Bielsa did at Leeds we will be in a good place. 

Regarding Gibby, as I now affectionately know him by thanks to the Cheltenham commentary team, average player that has been stop and start since joining us, I think there is better out there we could be looking at. 
    Bielsa had watched every league game of Leeds the previous season, knew the positions of where each player had played and how many times, the formation and change of formation and tactics throughout the game. By all means, Bielsa knew more about Leeds in his interview and presentation than Leeds board knew themselves.

There was a great article and video about it with Angus Kinnear not long after they appointed him.
  • Options
    How many people mention just one performance of his says it all, the exact kind of player that has been holding us back. 

I like him but he isn’t very good and think we need to move him on. When we signed him and hearing how mad MK fans were and saying he belongs in the championship etc I was really excited to watch him play, I can honestly say he was extremely underwhelming and felt Ben Reeves was the better signing from MK, who incidentally was also very underwhelming. 

I hope Garner can bring in some serious centre mids cause other than Dobson & Aribo in recent years, they’ve all been loans we haven’t been able to keep or crocked 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Bielsa knew all the minutiae about his players and on occasions about the opposition where he used Binoculars !

Outside the Premier you can definitely be attack minded and Bielsa with the help of the English speaking coaches got his tactics across to his players. Problem was once in the premier if you play too open you will be found out over time. Once Bamford and Phillips were out injured it was always going to be a struggle to stay up. Norwich are always staying one season and Watford has no identity with their new manager every season. Edwards has the gig in summer I wonder who it will be in Autumn ?

Burnley finally run out of options. Chris Wood may not be the greatest but it cost Burnley big time when he moved to Saudi Arabia Geordie land.
    The Leeds crowd helped to keep the team up on the last day as James and Ayling had shown ill discipline in the last few games with Red cards.

Back to Garner, and his way of playing attacking but also finding ways of not being hit in transition. That is the only flaw in his system and why they only finished 6th with so many 1st in the positive stats.

I would love to see Garner work at  Sparrows lane; now where are those binoculars?

I think Deji will be a pick for Garner, I just hope we don't sell him if he has a couple of decent game before the window shuts.

Obviously Man city and Liverpool can be attacking as their squad of players are better than every other team in the premier.
  • Options
    We've seen Gibley turn in MOM performances but .........
    The Vicar of Gibley? :smile:

• Options

Or one got fit and the other played in the right role?

I really want to see Dobson play in a double pivot again (I think Swindon only played it once last season) 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:

I really want to see Dobson play in a double pivot again (I think Swindon only played it once last season) 

My point was not all Charlton players are total crap. 

Are you seriously saying George Dobson POTY was played in the wrong position ?

The only wrong position for George was when your favourite Nigel Adkins put him  on the bench. 

You got upset when Ben Watson was called slow. Unfortunately Watson who had a very good career was slow at Cafc.

Ben Garner will play George Dobson in the best position for the team. May even give him license to roam ( similar to Rice at West ham) if we can sign the right players to give us some security at the back.

Garner have a good record in away matches at Swindon but the home record wasn't top 6 so interesting to see his game plan.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

My point was not all Charlton players are total crap. 

Are you seriously saying George Dobson POTY was played in the wrong position ?

The only wrong position for George was when your favourite Nigel Adkins put him  on the bench. 

You got upset when Ben Watson was called slow. Unfortunately Watson who had a very good career was slow at Cafc.

Ben Garner will play George Dobson in the best position for the team. May even give him license to roam ( similar to Rice at West ham) if we can sign the right players to give us some security at the back.

Garner have a good record in away matches at Swindon but the home record wasn't top 6 so interesting to see his game plan.
    No I am saying that your favourite Jackson actually played POTY in the right roll. I have no skin in the Nigel argument but I 100% think he was massively let down.  He could have, should have, done better.  That's why he was, rightfully, sacked, but we wouldn't have finished top half with Jackson, Ferguson, Clough or Shankley last season.

I didn't get upset because Ben Watson was called slow, I think even Ben Watson would say he was now slow, but  the constant jokes about it got boring very quickly.

Can Dobson play in a double pivot?  I dont think he can, or at least he couldn't 10 months ago.   Of course there is time, coaching, experience etc which are all on his side.

Did CBT improve or just get fit?  He wasn't fit when he got here, he was outstanding against Gillingham away.  Was that his 1st or 2nd game?

I have never once said, hinted or otherwise that all our players are crap.  A lot of them are very good, at different things than we have asked them to do, that's the problem.  I do however, think there are too many that aren't useful in a at least two of a 4231, a 433, a 352, a 343.  Therefore are useless.