Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    paulfox said:
    why would Harris be what we need, sacked at millwall after a good initial spell, sound familiar??relegated in the end with Gills, just what we need. Let’s not forget Millwall legend. He’s not that good it can be over looked surely.
    "Harris then again took over as caretaker boss on 10 March 2015, when Holloway was sacked.[22] By the time Harris took over, Millwall were already virtually, whilst not mathematically, relegated, however Harris went on to win 2 and draw 4 of his 9 games in charge, almost keeping the Lions in the Championship. On 28 April, the Lions were officially relegated to League One following Rotherham United's 2–1 win against Reading,[23] however, Harris was confirmed as Millwall's permanent manager less than 24 hours later,[24] with his assistant being his 2004 FA Cup Final teammate, David Livermore.

In his first full season as manager Harris led Millwall to the League One Play-Off Final against Barnsley at Wembley after finishing 4th in the League One table and overcoming Bradford City 4–2 on aggregate in the Play – Off Semi-Finals. The Lions lost the play-off final 3–1 to Barnsley.

In 2016–17 season Harris again led Millwall to Wembley after they finished 6th in the League One table and overcame Scunthorpe United 3–2 in the Play-Off semi finals. Millwall won the play-off Final against Bradford City 1–0 to win promotion to the Championship. He also led Millwall to the F.A Cup quarter finals after knocking out 3 Premier League teams Bournemouth, Watford and Premier League Champions Leicester City before losing 6–0 against Tottenham Hotspur in the quarter finals."

Not mentioned is the 8th placed finish during his first season in the Championship.

Plenty above to suggest he may be just what you're looking for.
    Thank you ;-)
  • Options
    I’m not totally opposed to the ‘manager doesn’t pick the players’ culture if the ownership is going all in on it, rather than flip flopping based on the latest trends. It’s exactly what MK are doing so it can work.

You set the club vision and then you go and recruit both players and coaches that fit that vision. The idea being that you pair them together so that if you lose a player or the manager, you have continuity and not too much changes overall.

What following this strategy is likely to result in is an unknown name coming in. You can rule out almost everyone with previous experience at our level or above. Had you heard of Liam Manning prior to his work at MK? Or Rob Edwards at Forest Green?

I hope Sandgaard has a good handle on youth football in this country because that’s probably the best place to find someone who will accept this style of management.
    The main issue I have with believing we could or are even trying to implement this sort of sustainable and wide reaching cultural model (which is in itself eminently sensible) is we have a total lack of footballing and strategic expertise at the club.

If you have a capable Director of Football Operations or whatever we are going to call it in 2022 then great. We don't. We don't have the structure to implement this philosophy. Until we do, it is doomed to failure.
  • Options
    I’m so out of touch I wouldn’t know any of the younger coaches in the game that have been touted as potential young up and comers 

After that I wouldn’t be against Warburton per se given who is available, but I struggle to see how we’re going to attract anyone other than the likes of Warburton 

This is TS’ make it or break it appt.  He gets the wrong man and we start badly next season, the crowd will definitely turn.  The thing he has on his side re:Jackson is that the football has been poor and putting sentiment aside, I personally wasn’t confident he could do it. 

My biggest worry is a U.S coach or someone recommended to him by someone in his network.  

This is either going to be an excellent move and work out or die on its arse and be the beginning of the end for TS
  • Options
    What is a low block? Does anybody know?
  • Options

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Dizzle said:
    What is a low block? Does anybody know?
    I posted this in the other thread:

Seen people confused by the term "low block".

FYI it's just a fancy analyst way of saying park the bus. Teams who come to the Valley and park the bus will be set-up by their manager/coach in a "low block".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hasselbank linked with the Barnsley job.

That is one ex player who would not be popular. 
  • Options
    Low block is your classic two banks of four, squeeze the space and don't allow passes in behind.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    seth plum said:
    My opinion regarding the list.

Darren Ferguson 4/1 Would accept.
    Mark Warburton 5/1 Would accept, but have some reservations.
    Lee Johnson 6/1 Would not accept.
    Roy Keane 8/1 Would not accept.
    Neil Harris 8/1 Would accept.
    Michael Appleton 8/1 Have reservations.
    Lee Bowyer 12/1 Never go back might apply here.
    Michael Beale 12/1 Would accept.
    Michael Duff 14/1 Would accept.
    John Eustace 14/1 Hmmmn.
    Rob Page 16/1 Hmmmn.
    Sean Dyche 16/1 Would accept.
    Mark Bonner 16/1 Adventurous risk I would accept.
    Michael Carrick 20/1 No idea.
    David Unsworth 20/1 He strikes me as being a bit out of the loop.

25/1 everyone else
    Rob Page would at least get Chris Gunter playing, as he'd think he was playing for Wales  ;)
    @OggyRed …. Ahem
  • Options
    If Wycombe don’t get through in the play offs. I would absolutely love us to get Gareth Ainsworth. 

The sad thing about that is, I think at the moment we might actually be a step down from them.
  • Options
    Didn't Harris go to Cardiff and get them to fifth in the Championship?
    Anyway, Harris is the type of person you give the job to and let them get on with it.
    Doesn't sound like the Sandgaard approach.
  • Options
    I'd go for Manning if MK don't go up.
  • Options
    It's easy running a football club so I think the arrogant one will put his son in charge, after all he is heading up everything else.
    Come on .. Spill the beans. What have you heard 😉
  • Options
    Sandgaard finally reveals himself as an undercover agent for Roland and appoints Guy Luzon.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What's Dave Jones up to these days?
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Gareth Ainsworth has done well with Wycombe but they are absolutely dire to watch!  Time wasting, shithousery and cheating.  Honestly it would be unbearable
    If it got us out of League 1 I’m all for it
  • Options
    Slightly off topic, but what do you believe is the latest date we can appoint a new manager and not have next season affected? Would the end of May be too late, or do we need someone in within next 5 days etc.
  • Options
    My money is on Michael Laudrup
  • Options
    Lee Bowyer coming back ? Why Euell keeping the seat warm for a couple of weeks 
  • Options
    Someone Danish. Jon Dahl Tomasson.
  • Options
    There’s a lot of former players out there who are managers or coaches. Claus Jensen or Jonatan Johansson if TS wants a Scandinavian…