Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jackson: Where does he go from here? (P6. AFC Wimbledon)

Comments

• Options
    Was listening to a Wimbledon podcast yesterday. Here were some keynotes:

- Stuck with playing 3 at the back
    - Lose the ball too quickly for the wing backs to get forward and support play
    - Square pegs in round holes
    - Only 1 shot on target the whole game despite losing for the majority of it
    - No plan B

Most want him sacked asap
    Sounds familiar.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Croydon said:
    I don't think their struggles this season are his fault, a few Wimbledon fans I know all thought they'd struggle this season any way. Though if the football is crap to watch and the formation/tactics are too rigid then eventually fans will want him out.
    Caught up with my mate again at the weekend and his take was he should be given 3 or 4 more games.  Said the players are trying, but as mentioned above, fans are frustrated and have started to turn on him.  

My uncle doesn’t go to games much anymore but is friend’s with an old pro from the mid to late 80s and as you mention Croydon, there was a feeling among them that tactically Jackson isn’t clued up enough.

I would say this has been confirmed at AFC if he’s bought Gunter in and was playing him at RWB.  That’s a mental decision based on how bad he was for us there at points last season.  It appears Jackson is 3-5-2 regardless and I don’t know where the fascination comes from, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets let go soon.  
    Isn't Gunter playing right centre back of the 3? Somewhere he played for us last season before Clare took over.
    Only switched there recently - believe it or not Jackson had him at RWB at the start of the season, and it wasn’t due to injuries either 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Croydon said:
    I don't think their struggles this season are his fault, a few Wimbledon fans I know all thought they'd struggle this season any way. Though if the football is crap to watch and the formation/tactics are too rigid then eventually fans will want him out.
    Caught up with my mate again at the weekend and his take was he should be given 3 or 4 more games.  Said the players are trying, but as mentioned above, fans are frustrated and have started to turn on him.  

My uncle doesn’t go to games much anymore but is friend’s with an old pro from the mid to late 80s and as you mention Croydon, there was a feeling among them that tactically Jackson isn’t clued up enough.

I would say this has been confirmed at AFC if he’s bought Gunter in and was playing him at RWB.  That’s a mental decision based on how bad he was for us there at points last season.  It appears Jackson is 3-5-2 regardless and I don’t know where the fascination comes from, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets let go soon.  
    Isn't Gunter playing right centre back of the 3? Somewhere he played for us last season before Clare took over.
    That wasn't exactly a success either 
    He shouldn’t have signed him at all.  Davison I could understand as he’s done okayish at that level.  

Gunter should be at Wrexham or being employed as Bale’s PA
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Saw JJ as a pundit on the EFL show over the weekend. He seemed on generally good form, even having positive things to say about his time at CAFC, though the emphasis was on his 12 years rather than the management bit. But at the point they discussed Wimbledon's defeat he became quite despondent. Sad to see, he's such a decent bloke. I wish him well. 
    May well end up on it more regularly soon.

Which isn't the worst gig in the world, let's be honest.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    cabbles said:
    Croydon said:

That wasn't exactly a success either 
    He shouldn’t have signed him at all.  Davison I could understand as he’s done okayish at that level.  

Gunter should be at Wrexham or being employed as Bale’s PA
    Gunter would be perfectly functional as a right back in a back 4 at league 2 level. Sad to see Jackson hasn't learnt anything from his time with us and is just welded to a formation over having any tactical nous or gameplan
  • Options
    Signing Gunter and spending a club record on Davidson was really poor business IMO.  Baffling given he knew them both well from CAFC too.
    Baffling as they are two players he never played, unless he absolutely had to.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Saw JJ as a pundit on the EFL show over the weekend. He seemed on generally good form, even having positive things to say about his time at CAFC, though the emphasis was on his 12 years rather than the management bit. But at the point they discussed Wimbledon's defeat he became quite despondent. Sad to see, he's such a decent bloke. I wish him well. 
    May well end up on it more regularly soon.

Which isn't the worst gig in the world, let's be honest.
    And it helps that there are loads of former Charlton players elsewhere in the EFL, so he was able to add personal experience of key players to his punditry.
  • Options
    Was listening to a Wimbledon podcast yesterday. Here were some keynotes:

- Stuck with playing 3 at the back
    - Lose the ball too quickly for the wing backs to get forward and support play
    - Square pegs in round holes
    - Only 1 shot on target the whole game despite losing for the majority of it
    - No plan B

Most want him sacked asap
    9 years or Wombles had a dream? If it’s WHAD take it with pinch of salt as the bloke who does it loves a moan (good mate of mine) 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    NabySarr said:
    Changed formation yesterday to a 4-4-1-1/4-2-3-1 and it brought a victory. Davison on the scoresheet again for them. Hopefully he can start to turn it around now he’s got another formation 
    They said on the EFL highlights that AFC Wimbledon have a couple of consecutive home games so, for Jacko's sake, perhaps they can go on a bit of a run.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Changed formation yesterday to a 4-4-1-1/4-2-3-1 and it brought a victory. Davison on the scoresheet again for them. Hopefully he can start to turn it around now he’s got another formation 
    Is he copying us  :D 

Good finish by Davison, he's scored a few goals using his pace to outrun defenders, whereas for some reason he ended up playing for us mainly as a poor man's Stockley
    Playing against L2 v L1 defenders. 

Davison got a good run and opportunity. 
  • Options
    Good to see Davison score and JJ get a win.

It's interesting to see that managers like Michael Beale, Ben Garner and Emma Hayes who all began coaching at around 20 are highly regarded as coaches/managers yet Gerrard and Jackson that played 652 + 460 matches respectively are looked upon as they are inexperienced ! Captain's as well so they must have an extensive knowledge of every formation past and present.

My take is that Steve Gerrard personality (dour and flat) more than any lack of tactical nous may have been to blame. Also did he give too much praise to Michael Beale when he was the number 3 at Villa. 
    Coutinho just not being the same player that was at Liverpool didn't help. 

JJ always talked the players up at first and 3-5-2 was the reason we got out of the bottom 4 but other coaches could then work it out and it's stops being effective especially when you don't have fast attacking natural wing backs.
    Johnnie Jackson did a great job initially when being caretaker at Cafc but should he have changed when we hit the rut; At least a tweak but with Inniss, Aneke and Stockley getting injured when he was in a goal scoring spell, Jackson's chances of reaching 8th spot from 22nd was never going to happen. 

I continue to hope he succeeds.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Is he copying us  :D 

Good finish by Davison, he's scored a few goals using his pace to outrun defenders, whereas for some reason he ended up playing for us mainly as a poor man's Stockley
    He's a limited footballer but a very very good athlete by the looks of things. Quick and strong
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Good to see Davison score and JJ get a win.

It's interesting to see that managers like Michael Beale, Ben Garner and Emma Hayes who all began coaching at around 20 are highly regarded as coaches/managers yet Gerrard and Jackson that played 652 + 460 matches respectively are looked upon as they are inexperienced ! Captain's as well so they must have an extensive knowledge of every formation past and present.

My take is that Steve Gerrard personality (dour and flat) more than any lack of tactical nous may have been to blame. Also did he give too much praise to Michael Beale when he was the number 3 at Villa. 
    Coutinho just not being the same player that was at Liverpool didn't help. 

JJ always talked the players up at first and 3-5-2 was the reason we got out of the bottom 4 but other coaches could then work it out and it's stops being effective especially when you don't have fast attacking natural wing backs.
    Johnnie Jackson did a great job initially when being caretaker at Cafc but should he have changed when we hit the rut; At least a tweak but with Inniss, Aneke and Stockley getting injured when he was in a goal scoring spell, Jackson's chances of reaching 8th spot from 22nd was never going to happen. 

I continue to hope he succeeds.
    His inability to change formation or tactics is unquestionably what led to his downfall, but it's bizarre really as surely in any walk of life if you keep doing something and it isn't working, then you'd try a different approach.

In football unless you have amazing players like Guardiola does, you're often going to need to change formation and adapt. This is one of the reasons i like Graham Potter, as he's not afraid to change things. Hauled off Cucurella after 35 minutes on Saturday when he could see United were overrunning them. Lo and behold with Kovacic on, they got a much better foothold in the game. Many managers would probably just try to see it through to half time and potentially end up going in 1-0 down.
  • Options
    The key to that 352 or 532 working is being able to tesselate into a 451, 433 or 442, unless you have properly outstanding wingback who get on the ball high up the pitch its a hard formation to stick with, the way Southgate uses it for England it can easily turn into a back 4. 

JJ like most managers needs to get a better grip of what his side looks like with his best 11 on the pitch and formulate something around that rather than obstinately sticking with 352 and squeezing square pegs in. I'm a massive believer in midfield dominance and that can be achieved with a back 3 but not if someone like Gunter is part of the midfield
  • Options
    We all have opinions and we can all be critics but JJ holds a special place for me and all I can do is wish him well. He may fuck it up but who hasn't once in a while?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great stuff, JJ ! 
  • Options
    Doing alright ain’t he? Who knew. 
  • Options
    Well done JJ. Your not proving many wrong here at Charlton , they are always wrong anyway. 
  • Options
    Turned it around after a slow start there, not surprising after relegation

Only need to look @ Gillingham under the more experienced Harris to show it aint easy
  • Options
    Getting rid of Jackson was the wrong decision, but in hindsight I’m happy it happened as he would never have been able to do well under Sandgaard. Good to see him doing well and hopefully he can manage us again in the future under better circumstances 
  • Options
    Changed formation before this new run of games which seems to have got a tune out of this Wimbledon team.

Hope he can keep it up, and show that he can get teams playing consistently well even after teams adapt to their new style of play.