Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jackson: Where does he go from here? (P6. AFC Wimbledon)

Comments

• Options
    7 wins and 4 draws in their last 11 league games. 
  • Options
    I'm pleased for him and yes he's doing well there, but you would expect Wimbledon to be competitive in L2, as one of the bigger clubs in that division, and a well run one too.
  • Options
    @bolloxbolder you appear to have stopped reading before the last 6 words :)
  • Options
    Johnnie Jackson didn't fail at Cafc unless you were deluded enough to think our injured wracked erratic squad were top 8.
    22nd to 13th was superb in retrospect.
    Reading some of the garbage on CL, Thomas Sandgaard wasn't alone in expecting blood from a stone. 

So pleased to see JJ doing well where in League 2 where you aren't expected to play like Man City. 

At least next season we can have a Derby again against a London club as well as Orient.

I regret complaining as much as I did at the end of last season.  I know Ipswich was horrific but we did grind out results.  I gates would have been higher and we would have probably been a few places higher .  
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Johnnie Jackson didn't fail at Cafc unless you were deluded enough to think our injured wracked erratic squad were top 8.
    22nd to 13th was superb in retrospect.
    Reading some of the garbage on CL, Thomas Sandgaard wasn't alone in expecting blood from a stone. 

So pleased to see JJ doing well where in League 2 where you aren't expected to play like Man City. 

At least next season we can have a Derby again against a London club as well as Orient.

I regret complaining as much as I did at the end of last season.  I know Ipswich was horrific but we did grind out results.  I gates would have been higher and we would have probably been a few places higher .  

By the final game at Ipswich, JJ knew he hadn't reached 8th, Conor Washington wasn't being offered a contract, and the politics of football kicked in with players leaving and others not sure of their future.
    Plus Ipswich were a Club that were going in the right direction.

We won 7 out of 9 homes games I went to under JJ last season and compared to this season we were so much better and played for 90+ minutes. I find winning football attractive especially as we kept 7 clean sheets out of nine. 

We were lacking away from home and both Fraser and Aneke turned up unfit and managed to succumb to new injuries and sickness in the January window.

This isn't a bumpy road we have fallen down a sinkhole !

HELP.

• Options
    Changed formation before this new run of games which seems to have got a tune out of this Wimbledon team.

Hope he can keep it up, and show that he can get teams playing consistently well even after teams adapt to their new style of play. 
    One thing he struggled to do here.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Changed formation before this new run of games which seems to have got a tune out of this Wimbledon team.

Hope he can keep it up, and show that he can get teams playing consistently well even after teams adapt to their new style of play. 
    One thing he struggled to do here.
    I wonder if he had done this whether TS would have kept him on for another season. In hindsight for him, probably better he left. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The goals have dried up badly. 1 goal in the last 6 games, 4 of them 0-0s!
  • Options
    They've had 7 goalless draws this season, scored just twice in 2023 and both goals came from two of our discards - Davison and Pell.
  • Options
    They've had 7 goalless draws this season, scored just twice in 2023 and both goals came from two of our discards - Davison and Pell.
    Glad we’ve improved so much without him 
  • Options
    Just seen an update come through on LinkedIn saying he's still the "1st Team Manager of Charlton Athletic Football Club". That will set the rumor mill alight.  :* 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    They had a really rough January transfer window. Best player was sold to Qatar and they also had 4 loan players recalled! I think for them to still be within touching distance of the play offs is a pretty good effort. Think it’s been a tough first season for Jackson and he’s coped well with it and showed a bit more adaptability. Next season I think he will be expected to deliver play offs minimum 
    I'd missed that move for Assal. A really random destination for a 20 year old!

They also brought in 5 new loan signings, including DJ who ought to be decent at L2 level.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Anybody know a Wimbledon fan, be interesting to hear their view? If he plays that turgid stuff he did for us, he'll be gone at the end of the season...
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Anybody know a Wimbledon fan, be interesting to hear their view? If he plays that turgid stuff he did for us, he'll be gone at the end of the season...
    We need to sign a Wimbledon player, then loads on here will be saying "my Wimbledon supporting mate reckons........"
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    They had a really rough January transfer window. Best player was sold to Qatar and they also had 4 loan players recalled! I think for them to still be within touching distance of the play offs is a pretty good effort. Think it’s been a tough first season for Jackson and he’s coped well with it and showed a bit more adaptability. Next season I think he will be expected to deliver play offs minimum 

They also brought in 5 new loan signings, including DJ who ought to be decent at L2 level.
    I thought that at first.  But when you realise he's a half decent player over here and will probably pick up a couple of grand a week at the most - then compare that with what he has the potential to earn over in Qatar.....and you realise why he may have done it.
    Young lad, adventurous and has a short career - probably wants to make them most of it while he can.  I'm envious to be honest
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    NabySarr said:

I thought that at first.  But when you realise he's a half decent player over here and will probably pick up a couple of grand a week at the most - then compare that with what he has the potential to earn over in Qatar.....and you realise why he may have done it.
    Young lad, adventurous and has a short career - probably wants to make them most of it while he can.  I'm envious to be honest
    If he's any good, then surely he could earn a move to a decent L1 club paying a lot more, and who knows what else afterwards. 
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    I know a Wimbledon fan up here in Yorkshire. We bond over being South Londoners in exile. He likes Jacko and as someone mentioned earlier, they’ve lost a lot of players and didn’t expect to be challenging this year. 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    NabySarr said:

If he's any good, then surely he could earn a move to a decent L1 club paying a lot more, and who knows what else afterwards. 
    It's no different to a lot of youngsters these days.  They want everything and they want it now!

He can continue to grind in L2, getting kicked around for a couple of years before maybe getting a move up the ladder - or he can go to Qatar, live a completely different lifestyle and make more in a year than he would in 5 years here AND play in an easier league.  More money for less work
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:
    NabySarr said:

It's no different to a lot of youngsters these days.  They want everything and they want it now!

He can continue to grind in L2, getting kicked around for a couple of years before maybe getting a move up the ladder - or he can go to Qatar, live a completely different lifestyle and make more in a year than he would in 5 years here AND play in an easier league.  More money for less work
    He would have got a move in the summer to the championship most likely or top end of league 1 at the very least. Wimbledon have said they planned to sell him at the end of the season so he was almost guaranteed a move up the English pyramid if he wanted it. The money must have been very good but he is also Moroccan and a few of their squad play in Saudi Arabia/Qatar so he’s got more chance of getting noticed internationally out there than he does in the EFL 
  • Options
    Perhaps we can let him have some of our players that are on loan at the moment, for next season 🤗
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Redhenry said:
    My best mate is.  I asked him and this is what he came back with.  Just one opinion mind 

Johnnie Jackson. 
    The fan base are largely positive about him. After a rocky start he weathered that largely by turning the team into solid defensive unit. A key part of this was changing the system to a back 4 and he deserves credit for showing the flexibility to do that. Going forward we don’t create enough chances. Although we lost a key player in Ayoub Assal during the window, the link-ups movement and passing that unlock teams aren’t there. We weren’t prolific even when we were on a good run and now that’s been brought into even more stark contrast with trying to embed the players introduced in January. For me he’s yet to demonstrate this aspect of management- an effective offensive team that creates enough chances and this is the main reason why the jury is still out on him imo. Strong on team shape, personal likeability, managing people & togetherness but in the long-term that only goes so far. Recruitment - not bad, still waiting to be dazzled there. If he integrates the new players and they perform well then maybe we can tick the unticked boxes at that point.

As regards the positivity of the wider fan base you have to remember how turgid last season was - many would be happy with mid-table and I think that’s realistic tbf. 

I’m not sure what the angle on Charlton life is - whether it’s just a natural curiosity - or whether it’s trying to suggest that they made the wrong decision getting rid of him - but I’d just say that there is not enough evidence in Wimbledon’s season so far to support the fact that that is the case
    Thanks for that @cabbles
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Redhenry said:
    My best mate is.  I asked him and this is what he came back with.  Just one opinion mind 

Johnnie Jackson. 
    The fan base are largely positive about him. After a rocky start he weathered that largely by turning the team into solid defensive unit. A key part of this was changing the system to a back 4 and he deserves credit for showing the flexibility to do that. Going forward we don’t create enough chances. Although we lost a key player in Ayoub Assal during the window, the link-ups movement and passing that unlock teams aren’t there. We weren’t prolific even when we were on a good run and now that’s been brought into even more stark contrast with trying to embed the players introduced in January. For me he’s yet to demonstrate this aspect of management- an effective offensive team that creates enough chances and this is the main reason why the jury is still out on him imo. Strong on team shape, personal likeability, managing people & togetherness but in the long-term that only goes so far. Recruitment - not bad, still waiting to be dazzled there. If he integrates the new players and they perform well then maybe we can tick the unticked boxes at that point.

As regards the positivity of the wider fan base you have to remember how turgid last season was - many would be happy with mid-table and I think that’s realistic tbf. 

I’m not sure what the angle on Charlton life is - whether it’s just a natural curiosity - or whether it’s trying to suggest that they made the wrong decision getting rid of him - but I’d just say that there is not enough evidence in Wimbledon’s season so far to support the fact that that is the case
    Very interesting, and that to me was very much our issue under JJ last season. Our patterns of attacking play were so predictable, we never made use of the midfield, and I remember more often than not we would end up stuck in the oppositions corner with 3 or 4 of our players and just no way of being able to move it back and across the opponents box.

Glad to hear he has brought some stability to them though, and he’s clearly adapting and learning, so there is a possibility he can improve the attacking side as well.

At the moment he feels a bit like Karl Robinson in that his teams will go on good streaks of winning games, but then streaks of losing or not picking up points. 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Redhenry said:

Johnnie Jackson. 

I think it's more wishing well on a personal level, and in my case curiosity  as to how good a manager he will be, as I'm undecided.

It's interesting that none of the 4 teams relegated last season look like bouncing straight back, suggesting the gap between L1 and L2 isn't that great.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Redhenry said:

Johnnie Jackson. 

I think it's more wishing well on a personal level, and in my case curiosity  as to how good a manager he will be, as I'm undecided.

It's interesting that none of the 4 teams relegated last season look like bouncing straight back, suggesting the gap between L1 and L2 isn't that great.
    Yes, I think when he asked what the angle was on CL he was probably thinking that we haven’t kicked on since he left (position wise) and that he knew Jackson was a fan’s favourite etc