Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jackson: Where does he go from here? (P6. AFC Wimbledon)

Comments

• Options
    clive said:

The August nominations for the Sky Bet League Two Manager of the Month Award are:

Graham Alexander (MK Dons)
    Neil Harris (Gillingham)
    Johnnie Jackson (AFC Wimbledon)
    Luke Williams (Notts County)
    https://www.efl.com/news/2023/september/05/sky-bet-league-two--manager-and-player-of-the-month-nominees/
    Has the manager of the side top of the league at the end of August ever not won MOTM?

Notts County have 3 more points than Wimbledon for example.
  • Options
    As I went on the record to say JJ will make a success of Management despite the criticism from Charlton critics(some was justified) I'm pleased this season has started well and Johnnie's team were  unbeaten in the league in August.

Jacko has realized you can't stick to a 3-5-2 despite that formation taking Charlton from 22nd to 10th before falling back to 13th as we were bang average. 
    Someone told me they play 4-4-2 which in League 2 is probably fine.
  • Options
    As I went on the record to say JJ will make a success of Management despite the criticism from Charlton critics(some was justified) I'm pleased this season has started well and Johnnie's team were  unbeaten in the league in August.

Jacko has realized you can't stick to a 3-5-2 despite that formation taking Charlton from 22nd to 10th before falling back to 13th as we were bang average. 
    Someone told me they play 4-4-2 which in League 2 is probably fine.
    If you have a new young manager they should be given time to learn and make mistakes. AFC Wimbledon have given him that time and are now seeing the rewards. I wish we’d have done the same but I feel like Charlton in league 1 are never going to be that patient and it’s all about results in the here and now to get promoted

• Options
    clive said:

The August nominations for the Sky Bet League Two Manager of the Month Award are:

Graham Alexander (MK Dons)
    Neil Harris (Gillingham)
    Johnnie Jackson (AFC Wimbledon)
    Luke Williams (Notts County)
    https://www.efl.com/news/2023/september/05/sky-bet-league-two--manager-and-player-of-the-month-nominees/
    Has the manager of the side top of the league at the end of August ever not won MOTM?

Notts County have 3 more points than Wimbledon for example.
    Probably not. But the other 3 managers were amongst the favourites for promotion so Jackson’s achievement is perhaps more impressive 
  • Options
    Fair play to them for not picking the lazy option in August - Although wonder why they chose Jackson over Williams.
  • Options
    Well done Jacko. I guess he got the reward over the others due to the turnaround in form he's achieved over last season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pleased for him. 
  • Options
    Great to see our legend settled and doing well. 
    Pleased for him and I hope his good fortune continues. 
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    I hope the fans appreciate JJ at Wimbledon.
    I think Johnnie learnt a lot at Cafc as a manager and the first was not taking over a club in 22nd place and having a clause which said you had to finish 8th or above !
    I still don't think 13th was "failure" from the low starting position and with a mid table squad with the mandatory injuries.
  • Options
    someone should retweet that to Sandgaard!
  • Options
    Glad for Jacko.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

The friends, supporters, and the CL echo chamber insisted JJ had to finish high to keep his job. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kap10 said:
    If the ‘10’ is your age, then fair enough I guess - if you’re an adult there’s no reason to “retweet that to Sandgaard!”, or any other vitriolic behavior on social media, but you do you.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    Kap10 said:

The friends, supporters, and the CL echo chamber insisted JJ had to finish high to keep his job. 
    Jacko was sacked because of Sandgaards ego. Couldn't cope with the love most fans had for him, who recognised he had faults but also saw his potential!

That quote in isolation isn't what I meant I will clarify what I said previous and meant.

Because of the terms of the Contract that Jackson had the friends, supporters and the CL echo chambers insisted JJ had to finish high to keep his job.

Maybe just a few people ITK said it but as usual everyone then ran with it and it becomes gospel. It sounds that the bar was raised high from 22nd place in League 1 by TS for Jackson because we have all heard his comments during his tenure.

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Kap10 said:
    Why? I love Jacko and I’m glad he’s doing well but him winning manager of the month in League 2 when we were looking for a manager to get us promoted into the Championship is hardly a gotcha 
    Because in many respects Sacking Jacko was unnecessary, Did Garner or Holden do any better? Were they the managers to get us out of League 1? 
    Sure, but equally saying that the two replacements didn't do any better than a manager who is currently doing ok in L2 is really just a criticism of the replacements. If you sent this to Sandgaard he'd shrug and still feel like he was right in sacking Jackson, he just should have recruited better afterwards. Sacking Jackson was unnecessary in the sense that we likely ended up in the same place we would have under Jacko, but that place was midtable in L1. I think we'd all hope to be higher up than that. I would have liked nothing more than for Jackson to have taken us up the leagues and to be honest I'm glad he got to leave after half a season of poorly resourced glorified caretakership rather than getting sacked after getting a full season's run and not succeeding and that tarnishing him. Ultimately though pointing out that Jackson's replacements were also unable to succeed doesn't reflect positively on Jackson, just negatively on all of them
  • Options
    Just posted this to get the Next Manager thread off of page 1. Mission accomplished.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Rob7Lee said:
    Kap10 said:
    Why? I love Jacko and I’m glad he’s doing well but him winning manager of the month in League 2 when we were looking for a manager to get us promoted into the Championship is hardly a gotcha 
    Because in many respects Sacking Jacko was unnecessary, Did Garner or Holden do any better? Were they the managers to get us out of League 1? 
    Sure, but equally saying that the two replacements didn't do any better than a manager who is currently doing ok in L2 is really just a criticism of the replacements. If you sent this to Sandgaard he'd shrug and still feel like he was right in sacking Jackson, he just should have recruited better afterwards. Sacking Jackson was unnecessary in the sense that we likely ended up in the same place we would have under Jacko, but that place was midtable in L1. I think we'd all hope to be higher up than that. I would have liked nothing more than for Jackson to have taken us up the leagues and to be honest I'm glad he got to leave after half a season of poorly resourced glorified caretakership rather than getting sacked after getting a full season's run and not succeeding and that tarnishing him. Ultimately though pointing out that Jackson's replacements were also unable to succeed doesn't reflect positively on Jackson, just negatively on all of them
    Or not negatively on any of them, but negative of the ownership, recruitment and general running of the club. How do you think Curbishley would have faired had we had the last few owners and set up back when he started?

edit, as a reminder under Curbishley we finished:

7th
    12th
    11th
    15th
    6th
    15th

I don't think the past few years he'd have lasted after that second season.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Kap10 said:
    Or not negatively on any of them, but negative of the ownership, recruitment and general running of the club. How do you think Curbishley would have faired had we had the last few owners and set up back when he started?

edit, as a reminder under Curbishley we finished:

7th
    12th
    11th
    15th
    6th
    15th

I don't think the past few years he'd have lasted after that second season.
    If that was in the 3rd division, then maybe he wouldn't have.

Given that it was in the 2nd division, then it is a whole different scenario.

The closest scenario, would've been Powells 1st (half) season, where we went from the play-off positions to below mid-table.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    He also didn't win league 2 manager of the month, he won some twitter page called the lower tiers manager of the month

The official manager of the month was the MK manager I believe I read or it may have been Notts County