Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jackson: Where does he go from here? (P6. AFC Wimbledon)

Comments

• Options
    I was strongly against sacking JJ. Some weren't. He was sacked prematurely and when JJ was struggling at Wimbledon those people came on here stating it justified his sacking which irritated me. I am delighted for him that he has turned it round and you don't get those posts anymore for some reason.

Like Powell, JJ is a Charlton manager. Powell would have been sacked after his first half season if he was treated in the same way as JJ. And they would have been fans who were all for it at that time! When you plant the seeds you do need to give them time to grow. I think JJ wanted to play a certain way and Sandgaard wanted to play a different way. Sandgaard owned the club but knew nothing about football. His job was not to decide how we play but get and support the right manager. 
    Powell, I'm guessing, was given a free hit but told Jenkinson was sold and he was being given the money.  The rest is history.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    I was strongly against sacking JJ. Some weren't. He was sacked prematurely and when JJ was struggling at Wimbledon those people came on here stating it justified his sacking which irritated me. I am delighted for him that he has turned it round and you don't get those posts anymore for some reason.

Like Powell, JJ is a Charlton manager. Powell would have been sacked after his first half season if he was treated in the same way as JJ. And they would have been fans who were all for it at that time! When you plant the seeds you do need to give them time to grow. I think JJ wanted to play a certain way and Sandgaard wanted to play a different way. Sandgaard owned the club but knew nothing about football. His job was not to decide how we play but get and support the right manager. 
    This is sentimental guff and you know it 
  • Options
    Leuth said:

This is sentimental guff and you know it 

https://x.com/exploding_heads/status/1643743970017824768?s=46&t=A-w3Eq0EWWpjMxring904Q
  • Options
    Certainly nothing that he has gone on to do since suggests that we would be much better off if he'd stayed. 

We may not have made a bit of a bodge of replacing him but I don't think that his departure was in and of itself a mistake, as much of a club legend as he is and was as a player.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    someone should retweet that to Sandgaard!
    Why? I love Jacko and I’m glad he’s doing well but him winning manager of the month in League 2 when we were looking for a manager to get us promoted into the Championship is hardly a gotcha 
    He also didn't win league 2 manager of the month, he won some twitter page called the lower tiers manager of the month

The official manager of the month was the MK manager I believe I read or it may have been Notts County 
    Yeah it was Graham Alexander at MK Dons that won it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Powell, I'm guessing, was given a free hit but told Jenkinson was sold and he was being given the money.  The rest is history.
    Jimenez had to be talked out of sacking Powell in the summer of 2011.

Can you say who talked Jimenez out of Sacking Powell 🤔
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Croydon said:

Nothing against JJ at all, a Charlton legend, but some of the performances under him were the worst we'd seen in recent years. 

Oxford at home and Ipswich away stand out as poor, but then Cheltenham the 1st half at home under Adkins early in the season when we were 2 down and should've been 4-0 down but Macgillivray had a decent half to keep the score down. Ended up 1-2 as they retreated.

The trouble with Charlton is we could play really poor with JJ's 3-5-2, Adkins 4-3-3 and  Robinson's 4-2-3-1 
    Also played poor under Garner's attempted high press where we overpassed before losing possession.
    Holden's tactics were strange at Oxford when he appeared to be discombobulated.

Anyone see a link with poor performances under different managers and different Formations who ever has tried in the last 4 seasons.
  • Options
    Cheltenham 1-2 was bad, one of the worst home performances in recent years, completely outplayed us 
  • Options
    We all knew JJ was a good number 2 on the staff.  He was just placed into the lead role at Charlton too early in his managerial career.  That was clear from his lack of flexibility in tactics and playing people out of position to fit his system.  Hopefully he has learned from that and can work his way up the ladder.  Eventually he will hit his ceiling as a manager.  It is too early to tell what that is on what effectively is only 2 plus years in the role with some ups and some downs
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Personally I think that the majority of opinions about him being a good manager are based on those wanting him to do well and how much of a legend he is whilst he was here.  He had a tough job with us, has been lucky AFC didn’t get rid of him after that dismal run last season and has been mentioned, it’s just 2 wins from 7 games this season.  He’s not got a great results record on the whole so far  
    Exactly, ‘so far’.  
    It wasn’t fair to expect him to take the job as a rookie and be successful straight away. 
    He might be just what we’re looking for in three or four years, or he might not. Let’s wait and see. 
  • Options
    What odds on him being back at the Valley by Christmas?
  • Options
    What odds on him being back at the Valley by Christmas?
    Only if we get them in the FA Cup.
  • Options
    Love these CL discussions. Will start off with Jacko being a great manager, should never have got rid of him. Saandgards  fault.  Will end with how crap he was and is, how many games he lost last season, how lucky he is to be just 11th, and that wasn’t the real award anyway. Let’s talk Alex Ferguson? 

• Options
    Another two-goal lead chucked, another 100th-minute equaliser conceded. Classic Jackson
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yep......Powell 😬😂
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Leuth said:
    Another two-goal lead chucked, another 100th-minute equaliser conceded. Classic Jackson

Is this a reversed Golfie?
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Leuth said:

He has only gone and taken Charltons losing mentality with him, poor sods. 

That's a ridiculous stat, absolutely ridiculous. Definitely a psychological thing at that point 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Leuth said:

He has only gone and taken Charltons losing mentality with him, poor sods. 

That's a ridiculous stat, absolutely ridiculous. Definitely a psychological thing at that point 
    All you people saying he's not a Charlton manager and to that I say: What's more Charlton than that?!?!
  • Options

Wasn’t talked out of it they could not afford to do it so left it for RD 
  • Options

Wasn’t talked out of it they could not afford to do it so left it for RD 
    He quite cleary stated this was the summer of 2011, the same summer when we bought in a whole host of players and did not sell the club to RD until January 2014.

So money or lack of was not the issue
  • Options
    Wimbledon won 3-1 away at Walsall today.