Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Castore kits thread (24/24\5 3rd kit page 83/84)

Comments

• colthe3rd said:
    One thing I never understand in these threads each year is the comments that always come up saying people are too old to care. Is there an age limit on when you can stop liking or even purchasing shirts and does that extend to everything in life?

If so it's a bit sad that people feel the need to live life by a set amount of rules determined by what age they are. If you like something then that's all that matters and don't feel like you need to apologise for it.
    I agree with this. Do what you want and people who want to judge you can but who cares about them. I certainly don't.
  • Rothko said:
    Looks good, see how it wears before final decision.

also big fan of the fluro yellow keepers kit 
    My son, when he was a kid and attended one of those junior red events, asked Rob Elliott why he wore bright shirts. His answer was interesting. Apparently when he was at the club at least, the first choice keeper had choice of colours. He had seen a study from the US that when rushed players instinctively shoot at bright colours so he favoured them. How reliable that study was I don't know, but I suppose it can help if you think you are getting an advantage.

Interesting. And would make sense with all the bright options out there at the minute. I remember reading a goalkeeping coaching book 'by' Neville Southall who said he picked darker colours as they blended in to the crowd better so striker couldn't quickly identify his positioning.
    That said, if a striker couldn't see him in his latter years....they probably shouldn't have been playing professionally.

*Edit*  Just a comment RE Rob Elliots comments...I am fully aware that NS also wore bright yellow kits - no trying to prove me wrong pls
    I suspect the advantage may be more in the mind than actual. When my knee gave up the ghost I prolonged playing football by playing in goal. I wasn't terrible for my level but recall having the feeling that I was unbeatable some matches and in others like I was a mouse in a massive goal. I have spoken to my son, who is an excellent keeper, about this and he said he could relate to it. I suppose there are elements of getting your mind in that good place and thinking you have an advantage helps towards that. 
  • edited July 2022
    Can't say I love the new kit, but sadly, red shirt, white shorts and red socks is not the most interesting combination.

Don't mind them trying to jazz it up a little so we don't look exactly like Barnsley, Nottm Forest and others though.

We've used black in our kit many times before, even before we included it in our badge, such as our most successful seasons in the 30s when we wore black socks with red trim.

But my first 'kit memory' is from 1968-70 when we played in all red. Was quite disappointed when we went back to white shorts (early kit snob). 

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Charlton_Athletic/Charlton_Athletic.htm

• Doesn't look like the new socks are being worn today looking at the pics 
  • In all honesty, the reason I became a Charlton fan is the fact I preferred red shirts to blue ones.
  • edited July 2022
    Rothko said:
    Looks good, see how it wears before final decision.

also big fan of the fluro yellow keepers kit 
    My son, when he was a kid and attended one of those junior red events, asked Rob Elliott why he wore bright shirts. His answer was interesting. Apparently when he was at the club at least, the first choice keeper had choice of colours. He had seen a study from the US that when rushed players instinctively shoot at bright colours so he favoured them. How reliable that study was I don't know, but I suppose it can help if you think you are getting an advantage.

Interesting. And would make sense with all the bright options out there at the minute. I remember reading a goalkeeping coaching book 'by' Neville Southall who said he picked darker colours as they blended in to the crowd better so striker couldn't quickly identify his positioning.
    That said, if a striker couldn't see him in his latter years....they probably shouldn't have been playing professionally.

*Edit*  Just a comment RE Rob Elliots comments...I am fully aware that NS also wore bright yellow kits - no trying to prove me wrong pls
    I suspect the advantage may be more in the mind than actual. When my knee gave up the ghost I prolonged playing football by playing in goal. I wasn't terrible for my level but recall having the feeling that I was unbeatable some matches and in others like I was a mouse in a massive goal. I have spoken to my son, who is an excellent keeper, about this and he said he could relate to it. I suppose there are elements of getting your mind in that good place and thinking you have an advantage helps towards that. 
    Agree its mentality.  My best ever season was with an expensive pair of gloves we specifically detoured a family holiday in the States to collect as they were not available in the UK.

And ironically a black top having read Neville's thoughts!
  • * and while I'm at it, the year I shaved my head like Deano  :neutral:
  • Vincenzo said:
    Can't say I love the new kit, but sadly, red shirt, white shorts and red socks is not the most interesting combination.

Don't mind them trying to jazz it up a little so we don't look exactly like Barnsley, Nottm Forest and others though.

We've used black in our kit many times before, even before we included it in our badge, such as our most successful seasons in the 30s when we wore black socks with red trim.

But my first 'kit memory' is from 1968-70 when we played in all red. Was quite disappointed when we went back to white shorts (early kit snob). 

My favorite is 1923-24 b 😱 (what happened there?) I only ever wear red for Charlton, and not often then as they seem to play badly when I do. Only ever owned 4 red ones 🫢
  • I agree with others who feel the shirt is fine, but aren't so sure about the shorts and socks which don't seem to coordinate very well with the shirt.
  • Valley11 said:
    Sock are ok actually 
    Decent kit
    shorts would look better with red rather than black stripes
  • Sponsored links:

• Why has the goalkeeper shirt got a different collar, the shorts missing the double strike and the socks not stripy? It's like the keepers kits is from a completely different strip
  • Shirt is £55 not £50 as mentioned yesterday 
  • Shorts are £30! 

• swordfish said:
    Vincenzo said:

My favorite is 1923-24 b 😱 (what happened there?) I only ever wear red for Charlton, and not often then as they seem to play badly when I do. Only ever owned 4 red ones 🫢
    The Catford year.
  • That shirt sleeve keeper top is nice and would be a decent away shirt with black shorts 
  • When are the kits available?

im off on holiday next weekend, will the kits be getting sent out before then ?
  • Players must not like socks either still wearing Hummel socks 
  • Why do goalkeepers not wear long sleeves anymore? I think short sleeves make them look so village
  • Sponsored links:

• Why do goalkeepers not wear long sleeves anymore? I think short sleeves make them look so village
    Charlton village?
  • Valley11 said:
    Sock are ok actually 
    Decent kit
    shorts would look better with red rather than black stripes
    I’d just leave the stripes on the shorts off completely. 
  • edited July 2022
    colthe3rd said:
    One thing I never understand in these threads each year is the comments that always come up saying people are too old to care. Is there an age limit on when you can stop liking or even purchasing shirts and does that extend to everything in life?

If so it's a bit sad that people feel the need to live life by a set amount of rules determined by what age they are. If you like something then that's all that matters and don't feel like you need to apologise for it.
    nothing to do with what other people think or what i'm supposed to think - the design of our kit would have held more importance to me when i was younger than it does now and when i was really young, the more nonsense on the kit, the better -i.e the silly socks, the silly collar and trims - i just like a nice plain traditional looking kit now and i think thats partly the point - i assume having all the 'jazz' on the kit is primarily aimed at the younger market - the best home kit (other than the addidas fads kit - my first), and the last one i bought for myself was the 92 back to the valley ribero kit - no nonsense  
  • It's red. Fine. Not sure about the black stripes on the shorts. Looking forward to the away kits.
  • I think with the keepers sleeves. If the pitch is good it is less necessary as diving on a good pitch does less damage. It isn't advisory on Hackney Marshes.
  • The colour is 'Red Alert'. Get it right. Well, if you believe the shop that is!
  • I ordered mine this morning, does anyone know when they are set to arrive?

Will have to try and lose a few job/sick child kg's I've put on in the last few months before I dare wear it.
  • Socks should’ve been basic red and white hoops like the prem days 
  • I really like it, but at £55 il wait for my ST discount to come through and hopefully get a kit for the boy at the same time.
  • Just looking back on the kit this one is based on, there was a lot of black in that strip, especially the black tops to the socks.