Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Womens Euros 2022: 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 CHAMPIONS!!!

Comments

• Options
    I'd laugh if I hadn't once done the same thing myself
  • Options
    Keeper saved the penalty low to her left. That was the rebound, was put wide.
    Justice was served, never a penalty.
  • Options
    I really don’t get the fascination to compare mens and womens football. I saw one last night saying Ellen White has more tournament England goals than Alan Shearer 🤣
    It is there to change the way one perceives things. Overtime we will all think like this. That is the hope at any rate. That we don't measure things in their proper way ~ Men competing in men's sport. Women competing in women's sport. But just "individuals" competing at sport. It's absolutely ridiculous. They will mix up every single record. England's top scorer, one would assume, will be Harry Kane by the year's end but wait ... Susan, Kelly and Pauline all have 60+ goals for England now so ....Harry slides down the table. And sadly this nonsense doesn't stop with football. 
  • Options
    It isn't just advances in the women's game. England have made massive advances in it where they are now one of the World's top nations. We should be proud of that achievement and of those who have made tat possible.
    They've definitely "made tat possible" couldn't agree more!  
  • Options

England manager Sarina Wiegman has tested positive for Covid prior to the team's final group game, and her assistant coach Arjan Veurink will lead the side against Northern Ireland tonight.

The Football Association says Wiegman will now "undertake a period of recovery at the squad's base camp".

• Options

England manager Sarina Wiegman has tested positive for Covid prior to the team's final group game, and her assistant coach Arjan Veurink will lead the side against Northern Ireland tonight.

The Football Association says Wiegman will now "undertake a period of recovery at the squad's base camp".

Concerning, more for what contact she's had with the rest of the players and coaching staff 
  • Options
    Sarina Wiegman replicated what she did with the Netherlands when she won the Euro's. Keep starting the same successful team. Same starting 11, and don't treat any games as if it doesn't matter. I'm here to see goals not to do the Mexican wave !!
  • Options
    Haha... It sounds odd only hearing the one National Anthem in an International game
  • Options
    Haha... It sounds odd only hearing the one National Anthem in an International game
    Should have played it twice. It’s short enough.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sarina Wiegman replicated what she did with the Netherlands when she won the Euro's. Keep starting the same successful team. Same starting 11, and don't treat any games as if it doesn't matter. I'm here to see goals not to do the Mexican wave !!
    Pros and cons to doing this though. Obviously after such an incredible win there's no harm in keeping the same side, but if a key player gets injured tonight it backfires.
  • Options
    Nah that isnt a penalty... England player handballs it first, shame it took so long given the last replay.
  • Options
    Everyone's turned up expecting to see 5-6 goals but this is shaping up to be one of those games where the ball just doesn't go in
  • Options
    Finally. Superb finish that.
  • Options
    Floodgates have opened now
  • Options
    Quality from Russo 
  • Options
    Slightly odd that Bethany England isn't getting any minutes. This feels like a good time to give her, Carter and Parris a run out so they're up to speed if needed. Parris and Carter probably will still come on but I do feel for England; excellent for Chelsea but kept out by Kerr and then has the same problem internationally where there's a couple of top strikers ahead of her
  • Options
    if cafc's men's team had half the skills and ability of the England's women's team we might do quite well.
  • Options
    Pros and cons to doing this though. Obviously after such an incredible win there's no harm in keeping the same side, but if a key player gets injured tonight it backfires.
    As a Charlton fan you should be aware that injuries happen on the training pitch or in the kitchen not on the match pitch  :smiley:
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    I turned up at St Mary's expecting 3 or 4 goals and an after the Lord Mayor's show performances. I said NI would play 5-5 at times and they did but TBF to Ireland despite being out classed by an England team they showed good spirit and England just couldn't hit the Target for 40 minutes.

So pleased that Sarina Wiegman stuck to players that have delivered in all 3 matches and Russo, Toone and Kelly who bring energy and keep up the tempo from the bench. 

Walsh is the best passer in the woman's game and  this is such a well coached team. Hemp hasn't hit top gear yet but is a wonderful talent. Kirby plays between the lines and has turned into a better team player under the new manager. Stanways is playing the Attacking midfield role with guile and Bronze is a power house attacking RB.
    Players dovetail and if we can keep the main 16 players fit we have a good chance.
    Mead and Hemp swapped wings every 10 minutes tonight and it confuses their markers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Beth Mead has 19 goals and 12 assists in the 15 games under Wiegman’s reign.  With five goals in this tournament alone, one could say she is pretty useful.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    if cafc's men's team had half the skills and ability of the England's women's team we might do quite well.
    Sigh…

Anyway, well done England. Seem to be the team nobody will want to face in the knockout stages.
  • Options
    Beth Mead has 19 goals and 12 assists in the 15 games under Wiegman’s reign.  With five goals in this tournament alone, one could say she is pretty useful.
    She's definitely the best player i've seen in the tournament so far, but looking up her stats they're slightly skewed by the fact we've played some awful teams in that run of games.

She scored 4 in a 10-0 win v Macedonia, another in the reverse fixture, scored 3 in a 20-0 (yes 20) win v Latvia, another in the reverse fixture, and has 4 in 2 games v Northern Ireland who on the basis of this tournament are pretty awful despite qualifying.

She did of course score 3 v Norway but she's nowhere near as prolific when she plays for Arsenal. On the basis of this tournament though i wonder if the big clubs in Europe (Lyon, Barcelona, Bayern, Wolfsburg) will look to sign her. 
  • Options
    If the mens team had half the ability of the womens team, San Marino would be beating us 10-0 and not the other way around.
  • Options
    Did the Danish keeper misjudge the goal, or stumble, because she didn't really seem to jump for it properly?
  • Options

Was at Spain v Germany on Tuesday. The Brentford stadium is really impressive. Feels quite basic in its set-up and design, but has a real noise inside it.

Can imagine it’s absolutely rocking when Brentford are playing at home. 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    cafctom said:

Was at Spain v Germany on Tuesday. The Brentford stadium is really impressive. Feels quite basic in its set-up and design, but has a real noise inside it.

Can imagine it’s absolutely rocking when Brentford are playing at home. 

I was a few rows back from you and just left of the goal. In the row behind was about 20 señoritas and I wished I was 18 again !

Different dynamic to men's league football with no wanker signs and hatred which takes some getting used to. 

Had a good afternoon and evening in Southampton on Friday and seeing England and how they have progressed as a team. Better athletes now with the full time training and the players of just a decade ago would struggle to get into this squad let alone this team. 

Wednesday in Brighton against the Spanish should be an interesting game and We could get hit on the break with passes behind Bronze who spends more time attacking than defending, and Millie Bright who had been excellent but did make some mistakes against NI first half that they weren't good enough to take advantage of.

IF we can out power the Spanish team then Victory should happen but I will be surprised if we won by more than a couple of goals but any win will be great as this is tournament football and it's a marathon not a sprint but 3 games won with a possible 3 to go with the matches getting harder and more pressure.

Germany may be a 50/50 game if we have to play them but France are still my Favourites though England's A game if we keep the 16 players fit that we have used so far then we can win as long as Covid doesn't run riot !
  • Options
    Coming home
  • Options
    Cmon England 
  • Options
    Beware the wounded tiger. This won't be straightforward