Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Womens Euros 2022: 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 CHAMPIONS!!!

Comments

• Options
    Since Caldente went off, Spain have lost their bite.
  • Options
    Kelly been great, scares the life out of them
  • Options
    Great goal to win that 
  • Options
    Well done girls. Prob the hardest game they’ll have.
  • Options
    Great game. Well done England. 
  • Options
    I won't say we didn't deserve it - we scored more goals than they did. But that was poor, and Spain for me had more quality overall. But hey, into the semis, and that should keep our feet on the ground for whoever we meet next. 
    Come on England!
  • Options
    Was fortunate to get back into game as thought Spain were better between 10-75 minutes but then thought we controlled it quite well from our equaliser onwards. 

• Options
    You reckon? Surely Germany or France in the final would be a step up. 
  • Options
    We were a little lucky against a very good Spanish team who kept the ball better. The Lionesses were certainly resilient and showed a never say die attitude that should I believe take them through to the final
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’ve watched most of the games so far and Spain have been the most impressive technically for me, they just left the one person on the bench that could punish teams.
  • Options
    Watched the 2nd half - the first time I've switched on a match in this competition - and was blown away by the skill on show.

Thought our subs, fresh legs, made a huge difference so kudos the our manager for making the changes when she did. 

And what an equaliser ! 

Well done indeed & I might have to watch the semi now...
  • Options
    I’ve watched most of the games so far and Spain have been the most impressive technically for me, they just left the one person on the bench that could punish teams.
    Fair enough, I've not seen enough to give a different opinion. Either way, it's competitive but I was impressed with the way we ended the game. 
  • Options
    I must admit that woman’s football has improved in leaps and bounds compared to a few years back. Really enjoying the tournament so far and tonight’s game was quality. 
  • Options
    That is some shocking goalkeeping, made it look better than it was, but struck very well. 

Been extremely impressed with England last half hour of play. Really enjoying the game generally to be honest.
    Definitely, it wasn't particularly high or in the corner. If Charlton had conceded that we'd be rather upset with our GK.
  • Options
    The goalkeeping thing hasn’t been an issue at this tournament, suspect a ton of sport columnist nonsense hasn’t been published. Keeping is a technical position that improves with full time training. 

As for the goal, It was well struck she just didn’t move her feet quick enough 
  • Options
    Spain are awful in the final third tho and I can’t see them keeping up this intensity of closing down.
    Spain lost their top scorer Hermoso and Ballon d'or winner Putellas to injury just before the tournament. Both play for Barcelona and i think last night might have different had they played. Also that sub (Sarriegi?) looked decent when she came on, no idea why they left her on the bench so long.
  • Options
    Can’t deny Spain were all over us possession wise, but there were not that many clear cut chances for them. as report says on BBC it was a tournament performance and all about grinding out the victory when not playing at our best 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Can’t deny Spain were all over us possession wise, but there were not that many clear cut chances for them. as report says on BBC it was a tournament performance and all about grinding out the victory when not playing at our best 

Based on what I saw, we were the better side.

There was a particular moment where our build up play could have been described as "beautiful football" very good passing and movement off the ball.

The chance just got fluffed at the end
  • Options
    I do believe we have a genuine chance of winning this tournament.

If it did actually happen....it would be a very emotional day and moment! 
    Would probably take a while for it to actually sink in. 

It would also inject some belief for us in the world cup in a few months
  • Options
    It's not how you start but how you finish
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

You'd like to think we have a genuine chance of winning it given we were the pre-tournament favourites!
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Dave2l said:

You'd like to think we have a genuine chance of winning it given we were the pre-tournament favourites!
    The odds are partly to do with how much money has gone on though, are they not Chris? Lots of English people would have bet on the home team.    

I am not a betting man, so I may well be wrong. 
  • Options
    I was very impressed with the little Spanish right winger.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    The goalkeeping thing hasn’t been an issue at this tournament, suspect a ton of sport columnist nonsense hasn’t been published. Keeping is a technical position that improves with full time training. 

As for the goal, It was well struck she just didn’t move her feet quick enough 
    There has been a marked improvement in recent years. The 2015 world cup and 2017 Euros felt like practically every game was decided by a goal keeping error.

For the winner last night I have some sympathy with the Spanish keeper. One of the defenders needed to close the ball, but both backed off and then blocked the keepers view. That combined with very little back lift in the shot meant the keeper simply wasn't set and that was the cause of her needing to move her feet quicker than she could. 

It was a decent strike and the pace on the ball combined with the obscured view meant the keeper couldn't get there quickly enough. Definitely wouldn't put it down as a goalkeeping error.
  • Options
    Spaniards getting dirty 
    CAFCTrev said:
    Spaniards getting dirty 
    I have that on VHS
    cafc999 said:
    It's not how you start but how you finish
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Dave2l said:

The odds are partly to do with how much money has gone on though, are they not Chris? Lots of English people would have bet on the home team.    

I am not a betting man, so I may well be wrong. 
    Partly yes, but i think given how bookmakers are online and essentially global these days, i'm not sure it matters as much as it used to.

Spain were initial favourites but then lost their 2 best players to injury, so i think that coupled with England's form since Wiegman took over made us justifiable favourites regardless of the money going on.