Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Womens Euros 2022: 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 CHAMPIONS!!!

Comments

• Options
    Pissing about in your own area... whoops.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Pissing about in your own area... whoops.
    Especially when you need an urgent equaliser.

Edward Woodward where are you?
  • Options
    Living in Spain it's worse. The Spanish commentary team said after the goal it didn't look like there was a foul, but when I woke up yesterday morning, every comment referred to England's 'dodgy' goal, and when I went on a forum, they were off in cuckoo land that being hosts, Engalnd were always going to be allowed to win, and that UEFA and FIFA have a dislike of Spain. Like @Garrymanilow, I thought Spain played well, and conducted themselves well, but the huge chip on their collective shoulder post match (I can't remember the name of the player who was interviewed and described it as an elbow in the face, which is a bit daft when replays show it wasn't anything like) just makes their exit sweeter. Pathetic.
    England had a stonewall penalty completely ignored by VAR too 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    That's two gift goals Germany have scored by Keeper's poor kicks. The Spanish keeper did it early doors in the group game and now Austria did a re-enactment of Ben Hamer at home to Colchester down the Jimmy Seed end. Austria should see the Jeopardy % and get rid until they improve.

Germany played in 2nd gear and beat their neighbours who are decent but have problems in both areas.

Germany have dominated the Woman's Euro's over the years but are beatable if France or Netherlands bring their A game in the semi final.
  • Options
    Living in Spain it's worse. The Spanish commentary team said after the goal it didn't look like there was a foul, but when I woke up yesterday morning, every comment referred to England's 'dodgy' goal, and when I went on a forum, they were off in cuckoo land that being hosts, Engalnd were always going to be allowed to win, and that UEFA and FIFA have a dislike of Spain. Like @Garrymanilow, I thought Spain played well, and conducted themselves well, but the huge chip on their collective shoulder post match (I can't remember the name of the player who was interviewed and described it as an elbow in the face, which is a bit daft when replays show it wasn't anything like) just makes their exit sweeter. Pathetic.
    I think it was Caldentey. It's interesting because as you've spotted there's clearly been quite a unified decision to blame an unfair goal for their failure to progress after the match. Caldentey, Paredes in particular (because she knows it was her fault) and the Spanish media are very focused on deflecting away from the actual match. The only one who isn't is Bonmatí who seems to actually be looking at the game from a sensible perspective. It could have gone either way but England took their chances. On another day it might have been different. Don't be soft and blame crooked reffing in a tournament that has generally been of a decent standard, focus on actually getting some shots on goal!
  • Options
    Nice piece in today's Mirror about Sarina Wiegman.  

They mentioned how, she made a quick wave to her subs and proceeded to give her male Spanish counterpart a tactical masterclass - all without losing her nerve - or the steely glint in her eyes.

Might be something in that cos we won.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    I believe Spain haven't mentally got over the loss of the Balloon d'or winner, FIFA and EUFA player of 20/21,  Alexia Putellas a week before the Euro's started.
    With their leading goal scorer Hermosa not available as well they were still excellent on the ball but not Sharp enough in the box against England except when Daley missed a tackle and a good finish put Spain one up.

Bonamati showed her class in midfield and Walsh for once was over shadowed.

Bonamati linking with Putellas would've probably made the difference but injury's happen and England stuck at it and now we can watch Sweden and Belgium and hope it also goes to extra time and maybe Belgium cause an upset.

• Options
    I believe Spain haven't mentally got over the loss of the Balloon d'or winner, FIFA and EUFA player of 20/21,  Alexia Putellas a week before the Euro's started.
    With their leading goal scorer Hermosa not available as well they were still excellent on the ball but not Sharp enough in the box against England except when Daley missed a tackle and a good finish put Spain one up.

Bonamati linking with Putellas would've probably made the difference but injury's happen and England stuck at it and now we can watch Sweden and Belgium and hope it also goes to extra time and maybe Belgium cause an upset.

I hope you mean by beating Sweden, not by beating us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2022

I hope you mean by beating Sweden, not by beating us.

AA, most certainly Sweden.

The LB for Belgium is a ? Am I allowed to say hobbit size? She looks about 4ft 6in.
    Just checked, she is 33 year old Davina Philtjens and is a nippy left back and a decent player.

Sweden 3rd in WC and only lost the Olympics on penalties. 

• Options
    edited July 2022
    I'm getting quite annoyed at the Spanish team now. I thought they were great in the match and I did feel for them going out, especially as they would have had more of a cutting edge if they weren't missing two of their best players. The whining coming from them at the moment is really winding me up though. I've read several interviews from their players about how Russo's jump for the equaliser was a foul, which is just pathetic. Paredes was soft, missed her chance to jump and got dominated in the air and then cried about it afterwards to try to offset her mistake. Not to PTSD everyone but it reminded me of Naby at Millwall - if you don't go for the header and someone who wants to win it does then there will be contact but that's not a foul. Compete for the header. Paredes was fine when she first hit the floor, had a moan at the ref and then decided to act like she'd been shot to influence a VAR check. The noise coming from their camp now is that they completely outplayed England, the obvoius foul wasn't overturned because it's a crooked home tournament and then a lucky wonder goal ruined it, which is quite pathetic. Spain played well but didn't create enough in front of goal which saw them undone by the two very good teams they played in the tournament. The Spanish players conducted themselves well all tournament including at the final whistle so it's a bit disappointing that they're creating a silly narrative now.
    Russo had two players tight on her and won the battle. Maybe with one player you could consider a foul as a remote possibility, but for me that was never a foul. She just wanted to win that ball more. Spain's reaction to the goal was poor, amongst themselves, and I think it affected them which they couldn't afford to happen.

Spain did outplay England for much of the game, but England refused to be beaten and indeed as you say, Spain didn't create enough from their superior play. England were never going to pass their way through them, but you are allowed to score other types of goals in football. For all the strengths of their game, the Spanish need to understand this. 
  • Options
    I missed the first 35 minutes of Sweden/Belgium as I was following the cricket, but from what I've seen since the quality is pretty poor, especially by comparison with England/Spain, both of whom would thump either of these teams on this showing.
  • Options
    Sweden are making heavy weather in this Quarter final against a team Belgium who have over achieved by getting this far.
    I will still be amazed if Sweden don't win by 2 or 3 but not great quality, though the VAR decision looked harsh on the Swedes in the 1st half. 
  • Options
    Incredible save! 
  • Options
    Dean Kiely did a point blank one like that I remember 
  • Options
    England will beat any of these teams
  • Options
    England have nothing to fear. Extra time to tire out Sweden wouldn't be a disaster either!
  • Options
    cazo said:
    England will beat any of these teams

On tonight's performance, we would be confident but we know Sweden can be a lot sharper than this. 
  • Options
    Fergie time winner for Sweden
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Enjoyable! Think we should be able to beat Sweden 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    The blonde girl is decent for Sweden 🤔
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    In the second half Belgium couldn't hold onto the ball and lost most second balls. Sweden really played it all wrong offensively and could have afforded more players in the box when attacking as Belgium's threat was minimal. But it will be a different game in the semi. England will know they have a great chance but it is going to be tough still. Which you expect in a semi of course. 
  • Options
    That helps.  Aren't they nearly all blonde?
  • Options
    Jesus Christ…
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Jesus Christ…
    Was he Swedish???
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Jesus Christ…
    Was he Swedish???
    Couldn't be, he wasn't blond.
  • Options
    In the second half Belgium couldn't hold onto the ball and lost most second balls. Sweden really played it all wrong offensively and could have afforded more players in the box when attacking as Belgium's threat was minimal. But it will be a different game in the semi. England will know they have a great chance but it is going to be tough still. Which you expect in a semi of course. 
    In a tournament that’s been full of good, watchable football last nights game looked like it was between two teams that had learnt their passing and heading skills in a Sunday morning league where the first action is often to simply kick the ball and not worry about whether it was actually going to somebody or just let the ball touch your head and not try and direct the ball at the goal. If that’s the Sweden that turns up against England the record score against Sweden’s Scandinavian neighbours could get challenged. In a summer where the World Cup has been moved this tournament has been a more than adequate screen filler. Out of interest, has the BBC given the viewing figures out ?
  • Options
    England Spain peaked at 7.6m tv viewers. Up to 9.1m after streams and iplayer views added. 

The opening game against Austria peaked at 4.6m I think 
  • Options
    Scheduling of this tournament seems a bit bizarre. Sweden played 2 nights after us, and the winner of tonight is playing 2 nights after Germany. Therefore giving an extra 2 days rest to the winner of the first 2 quarter finals.

Obviously i know that in a tournament there will always be some sides who get more rest, but it seems odd that there's a 2 day gap. Would've made more sense if the Sweden and Germany games swapped nights, or if they'd had 2 quarter finals per day instead of spreading them over 4 days.

By the time we play our semi final it'll be 11 days since our final group match. In those 11 days we've played only 1 game v Spain, so this schedule is heavily in our favour.