Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Womens Euros 2022: 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 CHAMPIONS!!!

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Well done girls. Prob the hardest game they’ll have.
    You reckon? Surely Germany or France in the final would be a step up. 

I was at the game last night and England will not play a better technical passing team than Spain. If Hermosa and Putellas(ACL) had been fit for this tournament I was going to go large with a bet on Spain but as against Germany they are missing a cutting edge though Spain were superb all over the pitch. 
    They negated Hemp and Mead by going tight where the Spanish were excellent down the flanks and Daley the Right footer playing LB was exposed as I said she would be by Spain. Daley is a great athlete and TBF the sub Greenwood is a left footed and she found it tough but it was high class wide play and both Spanish girls tormented our defense all night.

I was also at the Germany v Spain match where the Spanish conceded early and were chasing the game but that was a high class encounter but Germany played better than England did  last night and Spain won't give enough minutes to their number 9.

Fantastic spirit by England to win a game they were outplayed in for large parts of the game. 
    I was at the end where Georgia Stanways scored the winner and the way she used the defenders to obscure the keeper and the power she generated was different class.

Sweden (if they beat Belgium) in the Semi final will be a 50/50 game but they won't hold any surprises for England. 

Norway let England have space, this won't happen again in this tournament but France with their good wingers could expose Bronze, Daley or Greenwood in the full back area IF that match happens in a final. 

The save from a cross come shot from Earps and the clearance from Milly Bright was the Catalyst for the win as no way back from 2-0.

We have no obvious replacement for Walsh as Scott is a totally different type of Midfielders, a runner more than a passer but Walsh hobbled off so unclear when she will be fit.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Can’t deny Spain were all over us possession wise, but there were not that many clear cut chances for them. as report says on BBC it was a tournament performance and all about grinding out the victory when not playing at our best 

Based on what I saw, we were the better side.

There was a particular moment where our build up play could have been described as "beautiful football" very good passing and movement off the ball.

The chance just got fluffed at the end
    So you missed the first 80 minutes of the game then
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Which of Belgium or Sweden be the tougher opponent?
  • Options
    Sweden are Olympic champions, rated above England in the FIFA rankings
  • Options
    Haha... It sounds odd only hearing the one National Anthem in an International game
    But did they play it for the home team or the away team?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Can’t deny Spain were all over us possession wise, but there were not that many clear cut chances for them. as report says on BBC it was a tournament performance and all about grinding out the victory when not playing at our best 
    Exactly, teams can win tourneys even when only having 1 or 2 genuinely dominating matches. Portugal (men) in 2016 scraped out of the group stage with 3 draws and ended up winning the whole thing.
  • Options
    Which of Belgium or Sweden be the tougher opponent?
    Sweden without a doubt. We beat Belgium 3-0 in a friendly last month and looking at the stats had 25 shots.
  • Options
    Neither plays how the Spanish do, their style is more suited for the way we play.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Dave2l said:
    MrOneLung said:

There was a particular moment where our build up play could have been described as "beautiful football" very good passing and movement off the ball.

I missed the 1st half.

Our defending was excellent when it was continuously tested.

We wanted to win the game more then they did and it was proven!
  • Options

I was at the game last night and England will not play a better technical passing team than Spain. If Hermosa and Putellas(ACL) had been fit for this tournament I was going to go large with a bet on Spain but as against Germany they are missing a cutting edge though Spain were superb all over the pitch. 
    They negated Hemp and Mead by going tight where the Spanish were excellent down the flanks and Daley the Right footer playing LB was exposed as I said she would be by Spain. Daley is a great athlete and TBF the sub Greenwood is a left footed and she found it tough but it was high class wide play and both Spanish girls tormented our defense all night.

I was also at the Germany v Spain match where the Spanish conceded early and were chasing the game but that was a high class encounter but Germany played better than England did  last night and Spain won't give enough minutes to their number 9.

Fantastic spirit by England to win a game they were outplayed in for large parts of the game. 
    I was at the end where Georgia Stanways scored the winner and the way she used the defenders to obscure the keeper and the power she generated was different class.

Sweden (if they beat Belgium) in the Semi final will be a 50/50 game but they won't hold any surprises for England. 

Norway let England have space, this won't happen again in this tournament but France with their good wingers could expose Bronze, Daley or Greenwood in the full back area IF that match happens in a final. 

The save from a cross come shot from Earps and the clearance from Milly Bright was the Catalyst for the win as no way back from 2-0.

We have no obvious replacement for Walsh as Scott is a totally different type of Midfielders, a runner more than a passer but Walsh hobbled off so unclear when she will be fit.
    Replace Walsh with Bronze, Bronze with Carter (? the other right back). You lose a bit from Bronze not marauding down the right but gain in the middle. 
  • Options
    looked like Walsh injury was cramp
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    I do believe we have a genuine chance of winning this tournament.

If it did actually happen....it would be a very emotional day and moment! 
    Would probably take a while for it to actually sink in. 

It would also inject some belief for us in the world cup in a few months
    You'd like to think we have a genuine chance of winning it given we were the pre-tournament favourites!
    The odds are partly to do with how much money has gone on though, are they not Chris? Lots of English people would have bet on the home team.    

I am not a betting man, so I may well be wrong. 
    Opening odds are written by researchers. 

Markets like 'Next Manager' where inside information can be key, will be moved by heavy betting. However popular football matches and outright winners etc wont really be affected.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    As someone who has won both UEFA and FIFA player of the year Lucy Bronze is brilliant apart from in every game I have ever watched her. 

Hope that Hemp and Mead can have more of an impact in the next game as they were really well policed in this one. 

Daly was out of her depth. 

I thought Spanish left back Olga was pretty good.  

• Options
    Dave2l said:
    Leuth said:
    Dave2l said:
    MrOneLung said:

I missed the 1st half.

Our defending was excellent when it was continuously tested.

We wanted to win the game more then they did and it was proven!
    'wanting it more' is always nonsense - England simply had too much physicality both in terms of fitness and aerial dominance at key points of the game, but it was an extremely close-run thing, and Spain could easily have won; they were running rings around England and the only way the equaliser was going to come was going to be from a 2nd ball in the box, which to be fair they realised. it was absolutely a battle between a superior footballing outfit and a side having to resort to a direct Plan B

where I'll agree is that Spain, for all their dominance, were largely repelled from having clear chances by an excellent England defence - by far the strongest aspect of the team yesterday 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Rothko said:
    I thought it was cramp too. 
    Sweden are quite clinical in front of goal. I believe they have quite an experiences squad as well. It will be a different kind of game to Spain. 

I thought Spain did a fantastic job of also limiting our wingers. Previous games much of our good play came from the right hand side. When Kelly came on I thought we put them under pressure a bit more
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Spain dominated most of the game but only really created a couple of genuine clear cut chances, and that was the goal and the cross/shot that Earps saved superbly. Admittedly the goal that was conceded was poor, giving the opposition that much time and space in the penalty area should never be allowed to happen.

On the whole though, if they can defend like that against the favourites, they should be capable of beating a France or Germany if they can similarly limit them to a minimum of chances. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    The goalkeeping thing hasn’t been an issue at this tournament, suspect a ton of sport columnist nonsense hasn’t been published. Keeping is a technical position that improves with full time training. 

As for the goal, It was well struck she just didn’t move her feet quick enough 
    She didn't move her feet at all before her dive. A couple of quick steps to the right and she should have saved it. having said that, in fairness it was a powerful strike.

However, generally I think the level of goalkeeping is very good. I would rather have Mary Earp in goal for the Addicks than McGoalie! She is good with her feet, comes for crosses and is a good shot stopper.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Rothko said:

You sometimes know more watching on TV than at the ground concerning injuries as the camera does a close up where I watched the bigger picture from the back row of the South Stand and just saw Walsh hobbling off.

Williamson and Bright are consistent, and having watched Lucy Bronze England career over the last decade she is a power player but very much an attacking back who can have a heavy touch but loves to support the right sided forward. Sarina Wiegman changes Hemp and  Mead, or Kelly every 10 minutes to the other wing, so as she likes to set different problems for the full backs.

As has been mentioned by a poster, it always felt, the only way we  were only going to get the equaliser was from winning a first header in the box from Plan B ,(Sarina's words) Down the  North standand we though Bright had won the header but in replay we saw it was Russo who won the header for her best buddy Toone to sweep home the ball. The relief in the stadium was palpable.
    We showed against an underperforming Norway side how good we are when allowed to play but no time in the last 20 odd years would we have won last night because we didn't have the self belief to snatch a win from the jaws of defeat.

Enjoyable tournament with so many positives including a higher standard of keeping overall(it have been low in previous Euros and World cups) 

The young Dutch keeper who came in for the injured 1st team keeper is excellent, tall, and calm under pressure. 
    Mary Earp's is progressing nicely and has a great temperament. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    The goalkeeping thing hasn’t been an issue at this tournament, suspect a ton of sport columnist nonsense hasn’t been published. Keeping is a technical position that improves with full time training. 

She didn't move her feet at all before her dive. A couple of quick steps to the right and she should have saved it. having said that, in fairness it was a powerful strike.

However, generally I think the level of goalkeeping is very good. I would rather have Mary Earp in goal for the Addicks than McGoalie! She is good with her feet, comes for crosses and is a good shot stopper.

As I was behind the goal, the Spanish keeper view was poor as the defenders obscured her view but a cracker of a shot.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

As I was behind the goal, the Spanish keeper view was poor as the defenders obscured her view but a cracker of a shot.
    She had gone too far across to her left which made the save too hard for her. 
  • Options
    Really hope we don't have to play Jill Scott. She makes Darren Pratley look like Pirlo
  • Options
    Stanway's body language leading up to the shot was superb, whether it was intentional or not. She had Hemp in front of her, pushed to the right and opened her body up like she was going to play the pass and then suddenly unleashed that piledriver. I was taken by surprise when she hit it and I'm not surprised that the keeper with her view limited was as well. Just a really brilliant strike from Stanway

Agree 100% with your observation Garry.

• Options
    edited July 2022
    xG of last night’s game is particularly interesting to me.

England 1.38 - Spain 1.67

On first glance, it seems to do a good job of measuring how we all felt about the game as a whole. Spain dominated for long periods and overall had better chances. But England weren’t completely outplayed.

Both teams accumulated more than 1.00 xG but neither got to 2.00 xG, meanwhile the overall match total reached just over 3.00 xG.

In this situation, that’s a numerically perfect description of what played out. Both teams grabbed a goal and then were separated by one moment of magic from a player that happened to be wearing white.
  • Options
    Deutschland v Österreich.  The Austrian's have an appalling national anthem and they all sing it as flat as a pancake but they've got their game faces on and look like you wouldn't want to have an argument with them.  I wasn't giving them much hope before the game but they're are certainly up for this.  I still think the German's will have a bit too much quality but it won't be a walkover.
  • Options
    Germany don’t look great. 
  • Options
    Austria hit the woodwork 3 times.
  • Options
    Hope Austria can work an equaliser. Would make for an interesting finale.