Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

EFL to discuss 3 pm blackout today.

EFL clubs will discuss future broadcasting strategy at the league’s AGM today – possibly paving the way for the traditional Saturday 3pm blackout to be scrapped.

Clubs will be shown a presentation with options for the future ahead of the EFL’s TV deal with Sky ending in 2024.

Not sure how this would play out for Charlton tbh.  The streaming services have become very popular courtesy of the pandemic, but will this significantly affect the attendance and revenues?  

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/efl-talks-clubs-scrapping-3pm-blackout-expanding-streaming-services-saturday-games-1676454 

Comments

• cafctom said:
    Scrapping it is a terrible idea. One of the biggest things standing in the way of clubs like ours getting bigger attendances is the fact that people can sit indoors and watch Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, United etc. 

I personally would do away with Charlton TV for Tuesday night games too. The service itself is very good for what it is, but we need to encourage people to come down The Valley. I know other people will feel differently, but we need to look after what’s best for the club. 
    this .. even the televised Saturday morning games must impact on afternoon attendances
  • cafctom said:
    Scrapping it is a terrible idea. One of the biggest things standing in the way of clubs like ours getting bigger attendances is the fact that people can sit indoors and watch Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, United etc. 

I personally would do away with Charlton TV for Tuesday night games too. The service itself is very good for what it is, but we need to encourage people to come down The Valley. I know other people will feel differently, but we need to look after what’s best for the club. 
    Agree with you and when I brought this up last November it was frowned upon by many people on this forum. 
  • I think it’s a myth that people won’t attend games without a blackout.

Yes watching on the TV is convenient but it’s not at all the same experience as being there in the flesh.

Why not trial it for half a season and see where it goes?
    Agree, however are there any good studies done on the expected impact? It seems like when these discussions come up both sides base their opinion on anecdotal evidence.
  • shirty5 said:
    cafctom said:

Agree with you and when I brought this up last November it was frowned upon by many people on this forum. 
    That is because a lot on here are old and infirm or scattered around the country and unable to attend on a regular basis. 
  • cafctom said:

I don't necessarily disagree and don't know what is best, but you do need to take into account that you live much closer to The Valley than the vast majority.
  • Reading that article it only seems to be removing the blackout for EFL clubs, so the argument about watching Premier league at that time is moot?
  • Sponsored links:

• Let’s face it, many people are already watching the 3pm Saturday stream and I’m certainly disinclined to spend money on travelling to some away games if I can watch at home. I’m sure others have the same view of home games, especially if they live any distance away. 
    I know people who if they don’t pay to watch the stream, would not be able to get to The Valley to spend money there. I have no idea how many buy the stream for away games who can’t get there - do the club bank all the money for streaming away games or do the home club get a cut?
  • for the two of us to watch a match at the Valley costs about £120 (tickets & travel), also we can't attend evening as we will miss our last train home from Waterloo, so for us it is streaming every time and attend closer away games.
  • for the two of us to watch a match at the Valley costs about £120 (tickets & travel), also we can't attend evening as we will miss our last train home from Waterloo, so for us it is streaming every time and attend closer away games.
    Services from Euston a better bet for the evening games?
  • colthe3rd said:
    I think it’s a myth that people won’t attend games without a blackout.

Yes watching on the TV is convenient but it’s not at all the same experience as being there in the flesh.

Agree, however are there any good studies done on the expected impact? It seems like when these discussions come up both sides base their opinion on anecdotal evidence.
    There *should* be plenty of data available, particularly since it came in at first lockdown, if only there was a data analyst available...

However, as we all know, whatever the stats are they will be twisted to suit the winning narrative.

Being old and infirm and scattered around the country and unable to attend on a regular basis, thanks @Starinnaddick ;-) I'd like the opportunity to buy a season ticket that would enable me to stream the vast majority of games and attend the odd couple but I recognise that any system might be open to abuse - its good to know they are al least considering it, I suspect pre-Covid it would never have been.
  • edited June 2022
    cafctom said:

Got to disagree. For a start even if there is no blackout, Sky/BT/amazon/whoever would be unlikely to put matches between the 'big 6' on at 3pm on a saturday anyway for the simple reason they know that hundreds of thousands of football fans will be watching their own teams at that time.

Secondly, if they do show the 'big 6' it'd be games like Man City v Southampton or Brentford v Liverpool. Games that the average fan won't care about. It would have little to no bearing on our attendance. Who is going to not go to or watch on Charlton TV a Charlton game because City are playing Southampton? 

Lastly for fans of premier league clubs the rule is ridiculous. If (for example) you're a ST holder of a big club but can't get a ticket to a 3pm away game, then the only way to watch your team is to illegally stream it or leave the country to watch it. In 2022 that is ridiculous. 
  • I think it’s a myth that people won’t attend games without a blackout.

I imagine they would if someone like Sky or the EFL subsidise any losses. 
  • edited June 2022
    Assume we are talking about streaming as well as live broadcast..When the away end is sold out, this has some potential, otherwise absolutely no thankyou 
  • The world has moved on. No need to have the blackout. It’s arguably preventing an income stream currently. 

If the football team is better attendance will still follow. 
  • leave it as it is, anyone who wants one of those firesticks can get hold of one
  • Sponsored links:

• I’d be surprised if the streaming model is profitable tbh - not least because multiple people can view for one payment.
  • I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to manage 3:00pm kickoffs for away fans only.  Once a game's away tickets reach 75% sold then the stream becomes available to purchase by registered fans of the away side only?  That way attendance of the home team is protected and they also get the bulk of away ticket revenue.
  • I’d be surprised if the streaming model is profitable tbh - not least because multiple people can view for one payment.
    Is that a confession?
  • edited June 2022
    I’d like to see it go to away games only being streamed on Charlton tv, for the time being, & see how it goes.

It would mean the club would take a tenner from the live stream, rather than make zero from away ticket sales.

With the cost of living continuing to rise, it would also help people who can’t afford travel, food & accommodation costs, as well as time off work.

Streaming away games would also open our market up to a lot more fans., who wouldn’t necessarily go to it anyway, so I welcome away games streaming, yes please!

Forgot to add, would also like to see a season pass to watch every away match, if still go to away games, but also means if I want to go abroad, I can still do it without missing a match.

Make it a tenner a match, if you buy a season pass upfront then you get 2 free matches (doesn’t include playoffs).

I know I’m talking myself into a job here,, just trying to help the club.   :*
  • Separate issue, but I wonder if 3pm games should kick off at 2pm in the winter months to reduce floodlight use with the energy crisis. Might help a few smaller clubs out.
    Already being discussed at Non League levels 

• AndyG said:
    I’d like to see it go to away games only being streamed on Charlton tv, for the time being, & see how it goes.

It would mean the club would take a tenner from the live stream, rather than make zero from away ticket sales.

With the cost of living continuing to rise, it would also help people who can’t afford travel, food & accommodation costs, as well as time off work.

Streaming away games would also open our market up to a lot more fans., who wouldn’t necessarily go to it anyway, so I welcome away games streaming, yes please!

Forgot to add, would also like to see a season pass to watch every away match, if still go to away games, but also means if I want to go abroad, I can still do it without missing a match.

Make it a tenner a match, if you buy a season pass upfront then you get 2 free matches (doesn’t include playoffs).

It is a really tough subject this mate. You are seeing it from your perspective as I presume from what you are saying you are local to the Valley but the time and expense prevents you from attending away games which again is totally understandable. However for alot of us the reverse applies. I attend far more away games than I do home but that's because I live in North Wales and the 6-8 homes games I attend each season takes an entire weekend and normally costs me well over £500 as my misses likes to come as well. 
    What you are saying is that only local people should be able to watch the team live at the valley. Seems a tad unfair tbh being a supporter in the 1st place is bad enough but now I feel persecuted 😂😂 I must admit it has crossed my mind to switch my allegiances to Wrexham as they are all Hollywood now and tbf had some pretty exciting games last season judging by the results but for my sins I still prefer to watch us 🙄🙄
    No more the fact we make money out of selling home tickets / season tickets, we make bugger all out of away match tickets, we’re consistently told on here that our away support is pants so it won’t make any difference if the numbers go down.

Nothing beats going to a game, the atmosphere, the dodgy burgers, even the smell of the toilets, so I was told by a Dutch fella who comes over to watch us from Holland.

You can’t replace that by watching it on the telly, I get that, those that want to go will go regardless of where it is and probably some even cost, it’s what they do.

The amount I’ve spent down the years on away grounds I could probably have had quite a nice few holidays instead, I’m all for convenience and saving a few quid in the current climate though, it’s like we’re living through the 1970’s again, and we’re just getting started!

• AndyG said:

It is a really tough subject this mate. You are seeing it from your perspective as I presume from what you are saying you are local to the Valley but the time and expense prevents you from attending away games which again is totally understandable. However for alot of us the reverse applies. I attend far more away games than I do home but that's because I live in North Wales and the 6-8 homes games I attend each season takes an entire weekend and normally costs me well over £500 as my misses likes to come as well. 
    What you are saying is that only local people should be able to watch the team live at the valley. Seems a tad unfair tbh being a supporter in the 1st place is bad enough but now I feel persecuted 😂😂 I must admit it has crossed my mind to switch my allegiances to Wrexham as they are all Hollywood now and tbf had some pretty exciting games last season judging by the results but for my sins I still prefer to watch us 🙄🙄
    No more the fact we make money out of selling home tickets / season tickets, we make bugger all out of away match tickets, we’re consistently told on here that our away support is pants so it won’t make any difference if the numbers go down.

Nothing beats going to a game, the atmosphere, the dodgy burgers, even the smell of the toilets, so I was told by a Dutch fella who comes over to watch us from Holland.

You can’t replace that by watching it on the telly, I get that, those that want to go will go regardless of where it is and probably some even cost, it’s what they do.

The amount I’ve spent down the years on away grounds I could probably have had quite a nice few holidays instead, I’m all for convenience and saving a few quid in the current climate though, it’s like we’re living through the 1970’s again, and we’re just getting started!

100% about us living through the 70's or worse again mate. The next few years are going to be very dodgy for us all