Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

EFL to discuss 3 pm blackout today.

Comments

• Options
    cafctom said:
    Scrapping it is a terrible idea. One of the biggest things standing in the way of clubs like ours getting bigger attendances is the fact that people can sit indoors and watch Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, United etc. 

I personally would do away with Charlton TV for Tuesday night games too. The service itself is very good for what it is, but we need to encourage people to come down The Valley. I know other people will feel differently, but we need to look after what’s best for the club. 
    How many times a season do these teams play at 3pm on a Saturday? Five? 
  • Options
    Anyway, in the age of Covid, frankly I'm all in favour of this. I have a season ticket - I want to be able to see all games, even if isolating
  • Options
    Streaming via VPN didn't stop me going to Charlton away games last season, the games I wanted to see I'll see I still went to. It's possible I went to 1 or 2 fewer non league games than I might have, choosing to watch a stream instead though.
  • Options
    I’d be surprised if the streaming model is profitable tbh - not least because multiple people can view for one payment.
    + illegally 
  • Options
    Will kill the game off for me.
    I'm not getting a season ticket this season,  but looking to do most of the away games.
    If I can watch Accrington away for a tenner am I really going to spend £100+  going to the game?
  • Options
    Depends if you want to see yer old mate Blackpool and others and gave a good day out
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Will kill the game off for me.
    I'm not getting a season ticket this season,  but looking to do most of the away games.
    If I can watch Accrington away for a tenner am I really going to spend £100+  going to the game?
    Not getting a season ticket will lose the club money, you paying a tenner will put some money back in as the club do not get any gate money from away games.

If it was legal and easy to watch, we could get a reasonable amount paying to watch every away game.

I will still go to home games and a few away games, but £100 is a lot of money, but at least you will have a choice to go or watch it from home. Surely more choice is a good thing? If you haven’t got a £100 then you have no choice at all.
  • Options
    In the case of Accrington, having "ticked off" the ground and town in March it would be unlikely I'd be going again this season whether I can stream it or not, and that's the reality for most people apart from the diehard away game supporters.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    cafctom said:
    Scrapping it is a terrible idea. One of the biggest things standing in the way of clubs like ours getting bigger attendances is the fact that people can sit indoors and watch Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, United etc. 

I personally would do away with Charlton TV for Tuesday night games too. The service itself is very good for what it is, but we need to encourage people to come down The Valley. I know other people will feel differently, but we need to look after what’s best for the club. 
    How many times a season do these teams play at 3pm on a Saturday? Five? 
    Hardly ever, because there’s no broadcast possibility for it. That could change though if the blackout is removed. 

It would give Sky the opportunity to make Saturday just like their ‘Super Sunday’ format where they can have football on back to back all afternoon.

Personally I don’t think they’d worry too much about missing out on the football going crowd for ratings. They aim their product just as much at those who don’t go to games whatsoever. The armchair supporter base in this country is still absolutely enormous.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:

I don't necessarily disagree and don't know what is best, but you do need to take into account that you live much closer to The Valley than the vast majority.
    I probably do, but that hasn’t always been the case.

Before easily accessible streaming came about (literally only about 2 years ago for Charlton), I don’t recall fans clamouring to have a streaming service just because they lived further away. 

One idea would be to have a limited number of streaming tickets (say 200) for those with addresses 2 hours + from The Valley. If you live in Kent / Surrey then there’s the Valley Express to get you to and from a game without too much expense if you really want to see the game.

It won’t please everyone but Charlton and football in general need match-going supporters more than ever.
  • Options
    Tbh 
    I like to see an in depth survey as to what  makes each one of us tick when it comes to Charlton.
    I missed 10 home games last season, so thinking about it if buying a season ticket meant I could watch the games I wasn't there for thered be more chance of me buying a season ticket.
    Ultimately for me we dont want to see fans not going to games because they can watch the game on a legitimate stream.

• Options
     Why not if you buy a season ticket you get access to streaming as well?

that way club doesn’t lose out on revenue. 

Or make streaming a season long deal, not game by game 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    MrOneLung said:

If you live abroad you can purchase a streaming season ticket (£200 I think) which covers all games, home and away.

I'm guessing if the blackout gets removed, that gets opened up to everyone in the UK & Ireland - The biggest thing that could yet change if the blackout is removed, is the pricing as a whole - Dont think it'll be a bad idea if games become £20 instead of £10.

I get both sides of the argument, and I think a compromise, would be to increase the pricing so that those who do still attend, dont feel as though they're being ripped off whilst basically getting the same "product"
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

I think this would be OK if it is to watch home games only as I can’t see any club offering away games for free.
  • Options
    It is irrelevant to me to be honest as I neither go to games or stream. 

I follow via the match thread on here. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

If you live abroad you can purchase a streaming season ticket (£200 I think) which covers all games, home and away.

I'm guessing if the blackout gets removed, that gets opened up to everyone in the UK & Ireland - The biggest thing that could yet change if the blackout is removed, is the pricing as a whole - Dont think it'll be a bad idea if games become £20 instead of £10.

I get both sides of the argument, and I think a compromise, would be to increase the pricing so that those who do still attend, dont feel as though they're being ripped off whilst basically getting the same "product
    What makes me feel ripped off is paying £30 plus to watch a dire game of third division football not the thought that someone is sitting in their living room watching TV of the same event for £10, which is already too much.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

I get both sides of the argument, and I think a compromise, would be to increase the pricing so that those who do still attend, dont feel as though they're being ripped off whilst basically getting the same "product
    What makes me feel ripped off is paying £30 plus to watch a dire game of third division football not the thought that someone is sitting in their living room watching TV of the same event for £10, which is already too much.
    Yeah the better move would be for attendees to pay less, rather than the typically expected "everyone pay more" approach

But then frustratingly thats never going to happen
  • Options
    I noticed that posts 3 and 4 on this thread are diametrically opposed to each other and they have 19 and 20 likes respectively.  

Close run thing this,  my tick still goes in the 'don't know' box. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Yeah the better move would be for attendees to pay less, rather than the typically expected "everyone pay more" approach

One day, the PL, EFL, clubs et al will finally realise that the product they are selling to worldwide TV companies isn’t just the game, it’s the supporters at the game as well. They are the difference and what makes the product both visually and vocally. A half empty ground looks shit on tv unless those fans that are there are always in camera shot and not in an upper tier and out of sight and they make a noise.

I’ve always said that ticket prices, particularly season tickets should be priced to fill the ground, not generate income. Lockdown was a novelty, the games were shit but mostly we stuck with it but during them at time the world jumped 5 years into the future with how we work or spend our leisure time watching steaming services. We would have hit there naturally but Covid gave it a massive nudge. Football needs to sort itself out asap and do what whatever it has to get fans into the ground before it’s too late and there’s no longer a sellable product to generate the money it currently enjoys.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

One day, the PL, EFL, clubs et al will finally realise that the product they are selling to worldwide TV companies isn’t just the game, it’s the supporters at the game as well. They are the difference and what makes the product both visually and vocally. A half empty ground looks shit on tv unless those fans that are there are always in camera shot and not in an upper tier and out of sight and they make a noise.

I’ve always said that ticket prices, particularly season tickets should be priced to fill the ground, not generate income. Lockdown was a novelty, the games were shit but mostly we stuck with it but during them at time the world jumped 5 years into the future with how we work or spend our leisure time watching steaming services. We would have hit there naturally but Covid gave it a massive nudge. Football needs to sort itself out asap and do what whatever it has to get fans into the ground before it’s too late and there’s no longer a sellable product to generate the money it currently enjoys.
    The thing is we tried to fill the ground last season for a few games and couldn't fill the ground even with the tickets being free.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    clb74 said:
    MrOneLung said:

The thing is we tried to fill the ground last season for a few games and couldn't fill the ground even with the tickets being free.
    The club was trying to give the tickets away to people who probably who had no interest in going to the game. If they took a free ticket and decided on the day they couldn’t be bothered they lost nothing. Selling them a ticket means they made a commitment to buy it and actually fancied going. It just needs to be affordable and definitely not seen as taking the piss
  • Options
    There will certainly be a decrease in people going to away matches.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    There will certainly be a decrease in people going to away matches.
    That depends on when they are played and how difficult is will be on the day to get there and get home afterwards. Last season felt like that the EFL was going out of it’s way for our games to be played when Rail wasn’t an option going to the game or getting home afterwards 
  • Options
    I think it’s almost an impossible circle to square. Lots of fans who don’t have the money or time to attend away games would massively benefit. My guess is that those who regularly attend away games will continue to do so. The club will get revenue from the stream but none from those attending away matches. A tricky financial balancing act and will vary from club to club. I live 225 miles from The Valley and it really does make you wish that there were better options for watching all games. No idea if the technology would allow the club to identify stream viewers over a certain distance from The Valley because for obvious reasons I get there very infrequently now.
  • Options
    I think it’s almost an impossible circle to square. Lots of fans who don’t have the money or time to attend away games would massively benefit. My guess is that those who regularly attend away games will continue to do so. The club will get revenue from the stream but none from those attending away matches. A tricky financial balancing act and will vary from club to club. I live 225 miles from The Valley and it really does make you wish that there were better options for watching all games. No idea if the technology would allow the club to identify stream viewers over a certain distance from The Valley because for obvious reasons I get there very infrequently now.
    I thought Shooters Hill was near Blackheath.
  • Options
    I thought Shooters Hill was near Blackheath.
    Still is. I’m now an exile in West Yorkshire 
  • Options
    Would be interesting to do some rough numbers for a club like ours.

How many away fans walked through the gates at the Valley last season? At a rough £20 per attendee, how much money was spent on tickets?

How much additional revenue would the club gain from opening up 3pm streaming on a ‘season ticket’ basis and would this offset the loss in ticketing from away fans?

I still firmly believe that home attendance figures would remain unaffected. I could see away followings dropping by a larger number.
  • Options
    I think the pricing model has to be based on multiple viewers and based broadly on the walk-up price, probably the lowest.  They will also have to restrict the number of viewing devices, probably starting at 1 which will be registered.  Maybe increasing the number of registered devices will cost more.
  • Options
    Any news / outcome from these meetings?