Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

EFL to discuss 3 pm blackout today.

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Interesting proposal. I like the idea of a RedZone style goal show.

• Options
    "The league is hoping to significantly increase the value of its rights to close to £200m-a-year which is double the current value."

This could be significant for anyone who's currently looking to buy an English football team...
  • Options
    The Premier league will go for that, most grounds in that division are full and let's be completely honest. The shiny faced gimlets who run football dont actually want fans, as in working class men, anywhere near them. And the clubs, how much of their yearly income is from gate receipts v tv money? Bet its not even close 

However, it will have a much bigger impact on people who support clubs like Charlton and haven't yet found an IPTV source 
  • Options
    A club killer for owners of clubs in League’s One and Two if this was to go through in the long term. 

How many lifers who used their VPN’s for Saturday afternoon games at the start of the season are still continuing to watch via that source even though the product has not improved significantly. 

You have got out of habit (For whatever reason you have) of going to the games and then eventually you don’t bother with using the laptop to watch it. Apathy kicks in. You find something else to do for that couple of hours. 

• Options
    The only way the 3pm Saturday blackout should be removed is if no Premier League matches can be scheduled for that time. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Scrapping it is a terrible idea. One of the biggest things standing in the way of clubs like ours getting bigger attendances is the fact that people can sit indoors and watch Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, United etc. 

I personally would do away with Charlton TV for Tuesday night games too. The service itself is very good for what it is, but we need to encourage people to come down The Valley. I know other people will feel differently, but we need to look after what’s best for the club. 

If we did do away with Charlton tv would that not affect our fans who now live abroad or can't attend matches due to ill health 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’d be surprised if the streaming model is profitable tbh - not least because multiple people can view for one payment.
    + illegally 
    Wasn't this tried before? They lost so much money that they could have chauffered every fan to the match and lost less. Yes times have changed we are all more computer savvy (well you are ...) if there are losers this time it may be the (unpopular) clubs.
  • Options
    and another thing- who needs a 27,000 capacity stadium if a lot of people are watching on line?
    Bet Duchalet will be rubbing his hands together with the thought of the prospect.
    EFL will reach for the carrot to find that they're walking the plank.
  • Options
    My only regret is that if this does come off it will probably be the end of Charlton TV and Minto, Curbs and Brownue and we will be forced to watch a second rate presentation.

I've said from day one of Charlton TV that now that streaming is here you will never put the
     genie back in the bottle. If you don't believe me, name me one technological advance that people like, use and are prepared to pay for?

For me, the only question has ever been how you monetarise streaming most effectively. And that remains the 64k dollar question.

Sorry guys but the days of you're only propa Charlton if you're there are over. Hundreds, if not thousands, of our fans have moved away from the area. People get older and can't get to the ground anymore. And once Greenwich Council make it impossible to park even more people will stay away. Streaming is a way people can still watch the games and contribute to the clubs' coffers. It's here and not going away.
    I make you right. The issue will be what DAZN or whoever will want to charge viewers.

I think the £10 per game currently on a PAYG is exactly the right figure. I might pay a little more if pushed / the fixture appeal enough but otherwise it is the right sum.

Some will compare to a £25 match ticket but that is the wrong comparison - the competition is alternative things to spend your £10 (only) on or what you might do with your time instead. I can still attend in person (and pay more) when I wish to. However, match tickets for League 1 are way overpriced in the current economic and digital climate and that is driving fans away as much as anything.
  • Options

Sorry guys but the days of you're only propa Charlton if you're there are over.
    Why does this even matter?

People can support a team as little/much as they want, it's not a competition ...
  • Options
    Not read all comments, so forgive me if it has been mentioned, but I notice that somehow the FA have managed to chip away at the blackout with Man City v Sheffield Utd kicking off on ITV at 16.45 on Saturday the 22nd. 
  • Options
    If paying to watch live football on tv at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon is potentially so popular how come there wasn’t more people watching it during the covid lockdowns ? I suspect the answer to that is games with nobody in the ground are boring, basically. The problem with doing something that will encourage fans not to go the actual match is the tv company will be damaging the viability of the product they will have committed their finances and other resources to so I would expect them to have a plan to avoid that. The only way that works is if the matchday experience is made both cheaper and worthwhile travelling to the ground for. The outcome for fans could well turn out to be a win/win
  • Options
    Not read all comments, so forgive me if it has been mentioned, but I notice that somehow the FA have managed to chip away at the blackout with Man City v Sheffield Utd kicking off on ITV at 16.45 on Saturday the 22nd. 
    Hasn’t the FA cup always been exempt from the blackout?
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    JaShea99 said:
    Hasn’t the FA cup always been exempt from the blackout?
    Am sure Man City won the FA Cup on a full league fixture Saturday and then United clinched the title in the 530 kick off and stole their thunder 
  • Options
    The cup final was on the day we picked up the League One trophy with Chris Powell against Hartlepool.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Further to the announcement of Sky Sports as its preferred bidder earlier this month, the EFL has called a meeting of all Clubs for Friday 5 May 2023 to consider proposals for a new domestic broadcast agreement from 2024/25 onwards.
    https://www.efl.com/news/2023/april/efl-statement-broadcast-rights-update/
  • Options
    If this is approved it has to impact on attendances, especially for away fans, and the broadcasters involved will be looking for substantial returns so don't expect it to be cheap either.  Clubs will have to respond to the challenge by cutting costs (Sandgaard might do the opposite though) and 'lost' fans and associated revenues will eat into additional revenue, plus we know of late how dispiriting watching a game in a two-thirds empty ground is.  

One other thought. If the next generation of potential fans get used to not going as much to grounds, they are even more likely to sit at home and graduate to bigger well-known clubs.
  • Options
    mogodon said:
    If this is approved it has to impact on attendances, especially for away fans, and the broadcasters involved will be looking for substantial returns so don't expect it to be cheap either.  Clubs will have to respond to the challenge by cutting costs (Sandgaard might do the opposite though) and 'lost' fans and associated revenues will eat into additional revenue, plus we know of late how dispiriting watching a game in a two-thirds empty ground is.  

One other thought. If the next generation of potential fans get used to not going as much to grounds, they are even more likely to sit at home and graduate to bigger well-known clubs.
    Not convinced it will have too deep an impact … nothing like the real thing, so I believe most will still attend in person.