Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What are our expectations for next season?

Comments

• Options
    masicat said:
    To follow match thread and not see too many FFS.

Although context is everything.

I could put up with seeing:

"FFS how did Stockley not get his eighth hat-trick of the season there? Should have been 7-0 ... before HT ..."
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Must - Top Six 
    Should - Promoted
    Could - Autos
    Won't - Champions
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    I have no expectations at the moment... Squad hasnt been put together, we've not seen them play together yet, we dont know how Ben Garner will do as a Manager full stop yet.

Until those questions get answered I dont think we can expect anything. 
    This.

Far too early to tell atm. Need to see what  players are brought in & how Garner goes about his business in the pre-season games. 

However, once again we are slow off the mark. Halfway through June & still no signings. Squad go away to Spain in a week & the whole point of trips like this is "'team bonding". No bloody point if there aren't any new boys to "bond" with.

At this stage I'd be pleased with seeing more attacking football & more goals. Any vague prediction on anything more than that will have to wait until July 30th. 
    I agree with the two above and the OP. It may turn out alright or it may not - it's too early to tell. 

However, if I had to bet on whether we will get the right players, that they bond, and that BG's slow build up in possession, high press out of possession playing system actually will work, then I'd say 'no'.

Currently I'm expecting us to be around 14th to 22nd. Sad to say it but the question was teasingly asked.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    Must - Top Six 
    Should - Promoted
    Could - Autos
    Won't - Champions
    I'd say so too @Dazzler21 but I have to agree with @jimmymelrose

We have a new manager, who wants to play a whole new way, with half a squad that haven't played that way before and with a month to go until we need to be ready and match fit, we are 15 players light of the end of the season.

Between 10th and 20th for me sadly.
  • Options
    Expectations and what I think will happen are two different things.

My expectations are that Charlton, run optimally and with the best decisions being made, should be top 6 as a minimum.

Unfortunately I think we will fall well short of that - because I don’t think things are being done the way they should be.

In other words, we won’t achieve what I would expect of this football club.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Expectations and what you think will happen are the same thing, do you mean aspirations?

But agree with you 👍🏻
  • Options
    Yeah maybe aspirations is the word. Either way I don’t think we will achieve what we should be.

I mean, compare the state of our playing staff to RDs last year in league one. Chalk and cheese.
  • Options
    I’m expecting better. Better than last to be exact. Tall order to get promoted from where we currently find ourselves but I’m expecting to finish very close albeit just shy of playoffs. 
  • Options
    Yeah maybe aspirations is the word. Either way I don’t think we will achieve what we should be.

I mean, compare the state of our playing staff to RDs last year in league one. Chalk and cheese.
    Yea I think we have a good manager but hope we get the players he wants/needs. Feels like we might be too slow/tight to get them.
  • Options
    After reading the thread I’m absolutely amazed at the utter negativity being shown. It’s a new season. New manager and we’ll have a competitive new squad despite the doom mongers. Some people just hoping to avoid relegation !!!!!!! Ffs. Get a grip. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just been through three ‘new managers’ and it achieved sod all.
    What was it Einstein said about the definition of madness?
  • Options
    So not have a manager then ?
  • Options
    So not have a manager then ?
    Definitely have one and give them the best team for his system you are able to provide through a generous budget, excellent planning and sound decisions based on experience and knowledge of the field you are working in…

• Options
    Another mediocre season beckons unless some decent signings turn up.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    I’m expecting better. Better than last to be exact. Tall order to get promoted from where we currently find ourselves but I’m expecting to finish very close albeit just shy of playoffs. 
    Great.  Another mediocre season for a club of our stature, size and playing budget!

• Options
    supaclive said:
    After reading the thread I’m absolutely amazed at the utter negativity being shown. It’s a new season. New manager and we’ll have a competitive new squad despite the doom mongers. Some people just hoping to avoid relegation !!!!!!! Ffs. Get a grip. 
    Why will we have a competitive new squad?
    People have been asked for their opinion and they've given it.  They don't have to match your beliefs.

Why won’t we ? 
  • Options
    Yes, I think I will have some expectations but I’ve no idea what they are.
  • Options
    Anything less than promotion and it will probably be my last season ticket after 25 years.  The younger ones in the group are off to uni; I will not be making any further effort for L1.
  • Options
    pickwick said:
    Anything less than promotion and it will probably be my last season ticket after 25 years.  The younger ones in the group are off to uni; I will not be making any further effort for L1.
    Back off.  League 1 is great.

You can watch the Premier League stars of the past, you get plenty of leg-room at The Valley and away tickets to places like Port Vale are freely available.

I also think that we might pick off a few of our bogey teams this season ... Accrington Stanley, Lincoln, Burton Albion.

Can't wait.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone have a list of the dates for our transfers in the summer of 2011?
  • Options
    i expect two things next season 

1) to be promoted
    2) to be disappointed 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Anyone have a list of the dates for our transfers in the summer of 2011?

• Options
    My expectations are that I'm going to be disappointed a lot, punctuated by a few periods of inexplicable optimism. Much like any other season. I'm not confident about the playoffs, but I'll definitely be disappointed if we're not at least in the mix, given our crowd sizes and that we're not the same sort of financial basket-case we've been recently.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Promotion as champions is the only acceptable outcome this season. Should we so much as draw a single game, I will expect and demand our fans to march upon the EFL so as to force a sale to the Crown

Just a feeling but even without knowing the incoming players but getting a handle on how Ben Garner wants to play, my Crystal ball said we will be the draw experts this season. We will have less wins and less defeats at home. Away from home I feel we will pick up more points than the 21/22 season.

A 9th to 12th finish but this could alter when the new players are revealed and if we can get a team to be decent in and out of possession. 

It also depends on not losing any of our most effective players; Dobson or CBT.

Leuth, get ready to Rumble.
  • Options
    Not expecting promotion.
    I am expecting a transitional work in progress, hopefully with sufficient wins and signs of improvement to keep the fans on board.
    If we get off to a slow start I can foresee a lot of 5 figure attendances.
    And if the new system flounders it could get toxic very quickly.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

True, but he had a settled manager and many of the team were only signed as short term fixes. By the time he left, hadn't most of those moved on, to be replaced by other short term fixes?

By the time Thomas rocked up after ESI further dismantled things, he inherited the hollowed out carcass of a Club and is trying to gradually rebuild, offering longer term contracts in order to restore some stability.

It's just taking a while to get right, and some signings haven't worked out that well yet. I was expecting more from DJ and I suspect Kirk has already decided his future lies elsewhere, both who commanded fees IIRC, but I think we will see significant improvement this season.

Whether it's enough to see us press for promotion who knows, but if we can balance the squad properly in what remains of the window, I think a late surge will see make the playoffs, minimum.
  • Options
    2 good signings so far .. my optimism/expectations are slowly increasing ((:>)
  • Options

Quietly confident. Not getting carried away but ready to get on board HMS pisstheleague and celebrate the title in March.