Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Six Academy Players Sign Pro Deals

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Miles looks to be 6’5” 
    He is, an absolute unit when you get to see him in real life, and unreal movement for a big fella, pleased this been announced, look how proud his parents are!
  • Options
    Good lad.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Great news and yes that’s all we offered deals to signed up. Williams and Harvey were already pro so they were confirmed in another article. Here’s the original announcement:

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/view/6286075ee9cf5/academy-update-retained-and-released-players

It feels like it’s been a while since anyone broke through and become a regular starter. I won’t be surprised if one or two make an real impact this season.

Having a pathway may look like a lack of investment from TS but there’s no point spending millions on the academy every season (and more with cat 1) if the opportunity isn’t there.

We have a manager who is a proper coach, plays a style academy players will fit into and we’re in the third tier - in fact I’ll be disappointed if we don’t see some become genuine first team players.

Won’t guess who as I haven’t seen enough but it makes a real change to have a few really promising strikers.
    There have always been players, but unfortunately they've never stayed very long. The likes of Burstow, Doughty who attracted bids, or others like Vennings, Lapslie, Wiredu and Dempsey

The reality is that most academy players won't make it with us, and anyone really good won't hang around in L1.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Great news and yes that’s all we offered deals to signed up. Williams and Harvey were already pro so they were confirmed in another article. Here’s the original announcement:

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/view/6286075ee9cf5/academy-update-retained-and-released-players

It feels like it’s been a while since anyone broke through and become a regular starter. I won’t be surprised if one or two make an real impact this season.

Having a pathway may look like a lack of investment from TS but there’s no point spending millions on the academy every season (and more with cat 1) if the opportunity isn’t there.

We have a manager who is a proper coach, plays a style academy players will fit into and we’re in the third tier - in fact I’ll be disappointed if we don’t see some become genuine first team players.

Won’t guess who as I haven’t seen enough but it makes a real change to have a few really promising strikers.
    There have always been players, but unfortunately they've never stayed very long. The likes of Burstow, Doughty who attracted bids, or others like Vennings, Lapslie, Wiredu and Dempsey

The reality is that most academy players won't make it with us, and anyone really good won't hang around in L1.
    So two in that group, Doughty became a starter and Lapslie got as far as a useful squad player.

I don’t count the rest as none of them established themselves in our first team squad. The academy hasn’t been as productive in the last few years, our u23 squads haven’t been as strong but last years u18s appear more promising.
  • Options
    What about Anderson and Bower? Have they signed already? Or are they too young?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

So two in that group, Doughty became a starter and Lapslie got as far as a useful squad player.

I don’t count the rest as none of them established themselves in our first team squad. The academy hasn’t been as productive in the last few years, our u23 squads haven’t been as strong but last years u18s appear more promising.
    If we get 2 first team players out of our current U18 crop I'd be delighted. You can go back through the years, seeing talented youngsters signings contracts with us and few making it.
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    What about Anderson and Bower? Have they signed already? Or are they too young?
    Anderson already signed.
    Not sure on Bower, assume too young as with Mitchell who looks excellent to me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:

Don't disagree and it is why the whole plan for the club has to deliver Championship football as then the best kids will at least last the season and command higher fees to be reinvested back into the club/academy.

Who knows how long these lads will stay and how successful they will be but today's news is positive and good for the club.
  • Options
    Good caring family.
     Miles is a real unit, so impressive on the ball v Dartford.
    Great to see the next generation.

Early days & I’d want to see him in action v div 1 or 2 teams, but I’m not ruling him out being our 4th striker - instead of Davison.
    Also he doesn’t take up a squad place.
    No reason Miles cannot cut it soon,his dad was in the side as a teenager and playing in the then div 1 against the likes of Steve Bruce,Tony Adams,Paul Magrath,Alan Hansen.He did very well,I am not suggesting that playing against some of the more agricultural defenders in league 1 is going to be easy,but I certainly think he has the ability and calmness to cope.And no doubt Dad will give him all the advice he needs.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

If we get 2 first team players out of our current U18 crop I'd be delighted. You can go back through the years, seeing talented youngsters signings contracts with us and few making it.
    Of course, I’m thinking more that we might see someone like Ness or Clayden so well, not just those in this year group. There seems to be more potential than where we were a year ago.
  • Options
    I bet Steve Wicks wouldn’t pick on big Carl now.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    That feels really positive and boy, do We need some positives to come back to Cafc.
    Agree with Killer that in recent years the kids either don't make it or go higher before they have played a handful of games.

Miles is growing upwards while Carl is growing outwards and our Tracey is ?
    Proud Mum, Wife and Foster mum to many players that have been at Cafc in recent years 
  • Options
    Great news & well done to the 6 players. Re Miles, it will be good to hear the old Leeeee Burn chant again, hopefully this season.

Lets hope that this time we are able to hold onto these youngsters, instead of losing them after a handful of games.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Picture the scene , Miles scores an injury time winner in front of the covered end. The crowd go nuts as a curly haired blond woman runs on the pitch. Leeeeeburn , Leeeeeeburn 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    oops...
  • Options
    Leaburn is obviously getting most of the headlines but the signing of Adigun shouldn't go under the radar. He was interesting quite a few PL clubs.
    Agree 
  • Options
    Carl Leaburn was one of my first Valley heroes. Representing one of my favourite times supporting the club. It feels very poignant to see his son following in his footsteps - and I wish Miles and all the other young players the very best at the start of their pro journey.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I have a feeling Miles wouldn't stitch us up by leaving on a free. Proper Charlton family.
    Revenge for the way his old man was treated at the end.....Its a dish best served cold and Carlo and Tracy have been plotting this for 25 years :evil laugh:

Your probably right.
  • Options
    Good caring family.
     Miles is a real unit, so impressive on the ball v Dartford.
    Great to see the next generation.

Early days & I’d want to see him in action v div 1 or 2 teams, but I’m not ruling him out being our 4th striker - instead of Davison.
    Also he doesn’t take up a squad place.
    No reason Miles cannot cut it soon,his dad was in the side as a teenager and playing in the then div 1 against the likes of Steve Bruce,Tony Adams,Paul Magrath,Alan Hansen.He did very well,I am not suggesting that playing against some of the more agricultural defenders in league 1 is going to be easy,but I certainly think he has the ability and calmness to cope.And no doubt Dad will give him all the advice he needs.
    I still remember the first time I saw Carl playing for us, away at Wimbledon that scagy old ground. He was a teenager then, probably eighteen?
    All arm’s & legs and elbows, obviously not the finished product but they couldn’t get the ball off him.

From the few times I’ve watched Miles he seems to have all the attributes for a successful pro career. On Saturday as well as technical ability was surprised at his mobility and sheer pace.

Can’t wait to chant the family name again at the valley.
  • Options
    Leaburn is obviously getting most of the headlines but the signing of Adigun shouldn't go under the radar. He was interesting quite a few PL clubs.
    I think there's a few coming through with a genuine chance of making the grade. The likes of Leaburn, Kanu, Ness probably won't be mainstays of the team but might very well get some game/squad time and hopefully a decent cup run.

It does start to feel like there's some actual long term vision starting to come together instead of going season to season and making do. Hopefully there's the faith and patience at all levels to see it through.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    I think there's a few coming through with a genuine chance of making the grade. The likes of Leaburn, Kanu, Ness probably won't be mainstays of the team but might very well get some game/squad time and hopefully a decent cup run.

It does start to feel like there's some actual long term vision starting to come together instead of going season to season and making do. Hopefully there's the faith and patience at all levels to see it through.
    It's impossible though for a L1 side to have a very long term vision, as the best players or indeed your manager will get poached. MK Dons for example lost Russell Martin just before the start of last season, regularly lose players to higher clubs and might lose Liam Manning. Forest Green despite promotion to L1 have lost their manager and several of their best players, ditto Swindon of course!