Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Six Academy Players Sign Pro Deals

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Great! So if/when Chuks or Stockley get injured we throw Miles and Josh to the wolves?
    Call me a moaner, but ffs
  • Options
    Really good news getting these young player signed up and, as Steve Avory says, it reflects the quality of this particular group. There was some paper/clickbait talk about Brentford sniffing around Adigun and Lapado a couple of months ago, so it's good to secure our assets. Karoy Anderson - a excellent prospect from the same age group - signed on his 17th birthday last October - https://www.charltonafc.com/news/view/615c3efceb27f/karoy-anderson-signs-first-pro-deal-until-2024

I'm looking forward to seeing some of these lads tonight at Hampton & Richmond.
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    Really good news getting these young player signed up and, as Steve Avory says, it reflects the quality of this particular group. There was some paper/clickbait talk about Brentford sniffing around Adigun and Lapado a couple of months ago, so it's good to secure our assets. Karoy Anderson - a excellent prospect from the same age group - signed on his 17th birthday last October - https://www.charltonafc.com/news/view/615c3efceb27f/karoy-anderson-signs-first-pro-deal-until-2024

Bit of a shame both teams playing at the same time, as feel there would be enough demand to watch both matches if they were on Charlton TV.
  • Options
    Blucher said:

Bit of a shame both teams playing at the same time, as feel there would be enough demand to watch both matches if they were on Charlton TV.
    Weird scheduling as surely Garner would like to watch the U23s as well as the first team. The same happens on Saturday, where the U23s are playing Wealdstone at the same time as the first team are playing Sutton
  • Options
    There was coverage to be found on the internet from about four or five years ago of a young Charlton team playing in a Tournament in Northern Ireland. They did well and from memory got to the final verses Celtic.
    The player that absolutely caught the eye back then was Lapado. Not especially for dynamism, but certainly for effectiveness.
    Lapado is almost the perfect example of how well Steve Avory and his team nurture and rear our promising players.
    Ben Garner having worked extensively at this level encourages me, but all is secondary to the first team winning games.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Great! So if/when Chuks or Stockley get injured we throw Miles and Josh to the wolves?
    His alternative is to say, "we are absolutely desparate for another striker" and then all the prices go up and its more difficult for us to play hardball when negotiating. 

What about Kanu signing a contract?  is he still too young?
  • Options
    arthur said:
    Scoham said:
    His alternative is to say, "we are absolutely desparate for another striker" and then all the prices go up and its more difficult for us to play hardball when negotiating. 

What about Kanu signing a contract?  is he still too young?
    Already signed, I believe.
  • Options
    Yep a lot of hype about Leeeeburn for obvious reasons. But I thought Kanu was almost in front of him.

Difficult dilemma. Yes we are short of a striker but we all want one or two of our own to be brought through for a while before cashing in.
    Is TS tight, probably, is it a smokescreen to negotiate harder, possibly, do I want our best under 18 side for yonks to be given chances to breakthrough...... absolutely.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

I think Leaburn is older than Kanu and probably more physically progressed but if I had just scored 40 odd goals in a season and read that interview I would feel a bit bruised not to have even had a mention.  

Personally feel JD is a long way off standard and we should replace him with a third but Miles/Kanu/Gavin should be more than capable back up to those 3 and all be given minutes when appropriate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'll be interested to see what happens with Dylan Gavin, got rave reviews from his loan at Billericay despite them ultimately being relegated. Probably someone that goes on loan in the National League as his next step. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    I'll be interested to see what happens with Dylan Gavin, got rave reviews from his loan at Billericay despite them ultimately being relegated. Probably someone that goes on loan in the National League as his next step. 
    I was surprised to not see him in Spain. Certainly has all the attributes for a lone striker in a 4-3-3 
  • Options
    Blucher said:

Where do you usually catch these games? I never seem to see highlights and rare coverage on Twitter. Probably me looking in the wrong place but still.

• Options
    What has happened to Charlie Barker - fallen off the grid?
  • Options

He's only 19 still and with the u23s I believe. He only got thrown in the first team as we had no defenders at the start of that season and started with a back 4 of purrington, oshilaja, pratley and barker. It's actually a miracle we ended up so close to the playoffs in the end. The whole squad is in a much healthier state than it was at the start 2 seasons ago tbh.

• Options
    Vfrf said:
    Blucher said:

Where do you usually catch these games? I never seem to see highlights and rare coverage on Twitter. Probably me looking in the wrong place but still.

I rarely get over to see the games live but a good few are on Charlton TV this season and a number were also on the club's YouTube Channel last season.
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:

He's only 19 still and with the u23s I believe. He only got thrown in the first team as we had no defenders at the start of that season and started with a back 4 of purrington, oshilaja, pratley and barker. It's actually a miracle we ended up so close to the playoffs in the end. The whole squad is in a much healthier state than it was at the start 2 seasons ago tbh.

Not really a surprise we got relegated with that lineup.
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:

That team won 2-0 at Crewe, which is somewhat better than we did last season!

Indeed, other than in defence it doesn't look that bad. That front 3 of Washington, Bonne and Doughty are all currently owned by Championship clubs, ditto Amos in goal.
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:

Not really a surprise we got relegated with that lineup.
    It’s a bloody surprise to me, I thought we finished 7th! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jac_52 said:

That team won 2-0 at Crewe, which is somewhat better than we did last season!

Indeed, other than in defence it doesn't look that bad. That front 3 of Washington, Bonne and Doughty are all currently owned by Championship clubs, ditto Amos in goal.
    To be fair we bought in Famewo and Inniss shortly after this and went on a run of about 6 games without conceding of I remember correctly 
  • Options
    Who is his older brother playing for?
  • Options
    Millwall
  • Options
    Three year deals at 17 are rare so the club clearly rate him highly.

He’s someone I had heard of but didn’t know anything about. Some interesting quotes from Avory in there, he was a midfielder but has moved to CB, and started breaking into the u23s last season. Comfortable on the ball as well being a good defender.

Look forward to seeing how he progresses. He’s got strong competition ahead of him with Deji and Ness pushing for the first team along with others more established in the u23s.
  • Options
    He's much better than Billy.

• Options
    Having seen him online and live for the U18's he is a very positive player.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    I’ve heard various stories about his brother and his professionalism  and attitude. Apparently, you couldn’t meet a more well balanced lad than his brother Billy, in football and academics. If he’s similar then we have a got a good player on the books.