Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sandgaard ownership discussion 2022-3 onwards (Meeting with CAST p138)

Comments

• Options
    AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    We all know that RD over values the club but if you look at things in a different way to normal life and more from the crazy world of football.

If someone has crazy wealth and wants to buy a football club that meets all the requirements of being a top premiership club with enough investment from aforementioned wealth them £50m is a drop in the ocean. It isnt even the cost of a decent premiership player. There are a handful of clubs in lower leagues that meet that criteria and I would argue that we are one of them.
    I'm not saying RD's valuation is anywhere near correct but I'm not in the category of people that have crazy wealth obviously. If I was then £50m shouldn't be a major hurdle in the world of football ownership
    So why hasn't Thomas just paid it?
    Because he isnt crazy rich mate. It was said earlier that there was a sleeping partner who was. 
    You just said £50 million shouldn't be a major hurdle?
    Your missing the point mate. If you have a few hundred million then your obviously wealthy but not enough to spunk £50m know you probably have another few hundred million to spend to hopefully reach the holy grail. However if you have 1000 million then it makes little difference 
    I don't really understand what point you are making.  If he can't afford to ever buy the assets, what is he trying to achieve?

Holding a league 1 club to "sort it out" then sell it?

Sell what to whom, and make a few quid? 

Your having a laugh aren't you?  He "owns" 3 years of Charlie Kirks contract and very little else of value, its cost him £20 million ish.

He needs to get us to the premiership to even make his money back, as you say, if he is going to bank roll that £50 million is a drop in the ocean, but he can't afford it?  
    You are reinforcing my point mate. No he doesnt have they money to get us to the premiership but how would him buying the stadium for whatever amount assist in us getting there ? I'm not sure what your disagreeing with tbh. At the moment it's what we have my point was that I think if a billionaire is somewhere waiting then £20m or £50 valuation of RD makes little difference. Hopefully it will materialise but until it does we march on 😉
    Not quite sure I agree with that. If someone has exactly 1 billion and they have a 5 year plan to get the team to the premier league, 30 million is still quite substantial. Even if they put 100 aside all in, there's a big difference between being able to then spend 50 and 80 mil no?

You've also got to factor in other clubs taking the piss with transfers etc. When word got round that Charlton's new owner was happy to pay 50 for something valued at half that don't you think prices would rise?
  • Options

AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    We all know that RD over values the club but if you look at things in a different way to normal life and more from the crazy world of football.

If someone has crazy wealth and wants to buy a football club that meets all the requirements of being a top premiership club with enough investment from aforementioned wealth them £50m is a drop in the ocean. It isnt even the cost of a decent premiership player. There are a handful of clubs in lower leagues that meet that criteria and I would argue that we are one of them.
    I'm not saying RD's valuation is anywhere near correct but I'm not in the category of people that have crazy wealth obviously. If I was then £50m shouldn't be a major hurdle in the world of football ownership
    Because he isnt crazy rich mate. It was said earlier that there was a sleeping partner who was. 
    Your missing the point mate. If you have a few hundred million then your obviously wealthy but not enough to spunk £50m know you probably have another few hundred million to spend to hopefully reach the holy grail. However if you have 1000 million then it makes little difference 
    I don't really understand what point you are making.  If he can't afford to ever buy the assets, what is he trying to achieve?

Your having a laugh aren't you?  He "owns" 3 years of Charlie Kirks contract and very little else of value, its cost him £20 million ish.

He needs to get us to the premiership to even make his money back, as you say, if he is going to bank roll that £50 million is a drop in the ocean, but he can't afford it?  
    You are reinforcing my point mate. No he doesnt have they money to get us to the premiership but how would him buying the stadium for whatever amount assist in us getting there ? I'm not sure what your disagreeing with tbh. At the moment it's what we have my point was that I think if a billionaire is somewhere waiting then £20m or £50 valuation of RD makes little difference. Hopefully it will materialise but until it does we march on 😉
    March or stumble on ? 

Tread water.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:

March or stumble on ? 
    Haha I meant us as fans Fanny. We can only play the hand we are dealt. We all want the same thing. Well apart from you wanting JJ back 😂😂😂 please take that as a joke as intended xx
  • Options

AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:

March or stumble on ? 

Tread water.
    Or perhaps a gerbil on a treadmill ? 
  • Options
    Just posting to say the last page or so of discussion has been fascinating.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:

That’s why ultimately I think it will be resolved, but not by TS whose approach is based on a complete misreading of the commercial opportunities outside the PL. 
    Bloody hell something we agree on mate 😉
    Ofcourse you are correct with the best will in the world TS doesnt have the money to get us anywhere near. But I do think we owe the man as he stepped in a dealt with the crooks and RD when nobody else would or was able. I see him as a holding owner to hopefully sort the shite out and then sell whilst making himself a nice few quid with my blessing
    The problem with that for me is that TS doesn’t own anything at Charlton that is worth any money. The only way that changes as far as I can see is by getting to the PL.
    Buying the ground and training ground doesn't make much difference though. Even if Roland phones Sandgaard tomorrow and offers him them at their true value, it's getting to the Premier League that matters. The ground and training ground don't shoot up in value with promotion, the club does. 
  • Options

AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:

March or stumble on ? 

Tread water.
    HMS Treadwater !!! what a name!
  • Options

AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:

March or stumble on ? 

Tread water.
    HMS Treadwater !!! what a name!
    More like HMS Takingonwater.
  • Options
    Anyone else is welcome to step forward and throw their own money away too. 

Until someone does let’s just see if TS truly is getting more of the foundations in place. It’s not all bad. It could be better. Was ever thus. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:

That’s why ultimately I think it will be resolved, but not by TS whose approach is based on a complete misreading of the commercial opportunities outside the PL. 
    Ofcourse you are correct with the best will in the world TS doesnt have the money to get us anywhere near. But I do think we owe the man as he stepped in a dealt with the crooks and RD when nobody else would or was able. I see him as a holding owner to hopefully sort the shite out and then sell whilst making himself a nice few quid with my blessing
    The problem with that for me is that TS doesn’t own anything at Charlton that is worth any money. The only way that changes as far as I can see is by getting to the PL.
    Buying the ground and training ground doesn't make much difference though. Even if Roland phones Sandgaard tomorrow and offers him them at their true value, it's getting to the Premier League that matters. The ground and training ground don't shoot up in value with promotion, the club does. 
    The land has a positive value. We can argue what it is and how it’s arrived at, but it’s something that can be traded and offers security for investors. If the land had been available at £30m then we’d have different owners now because of that. The club without the land is just an ongoing liability in financial terms because it cannot break even over time outside of the PL. If it goes bust there is nothing underneath that. Why else were the ex-director loans secured over the freehold assets? 

If you get to the PL then I agree the club increases in value because of the guaranteed multi-year income stream, but you have to get there first, which is hard without attracting investment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:

I cant say I fully understand the finances of owning a football club but TS will realise ( or probably already knows ) he doesnt have the money to reach the premiership. He will face a choice eventually hopefully when we are in the championship room either sell or seek investment ( I'm not sure he would find many takers for investment on his terms ) if the players he has bought are playing in the championship successfully they would have a higher value than they have now yes ? If he sold the club then is it like other businesses where the purchaser buys the stock at valuation ? Add the potential value then maybe profit can be made ? Or have I got that wrong in terms of value
    Problem is the club is 1) still losing money and 2) player values can only be realised on a short window and are prone to be unstable. It’s unlikely to offset the overall negative valuation of the business, although you’ve certainly got more chance of doing so in the Championship.
  • Options
    however well intended, maybe pissing the belgium off to the extent we did might just have been the wrong move in the long run? i agree with andy g - if these mega rich characters had really wanted the club they could have got to talk with RD and not via varney and if the silent partner was so silent RD wouldn't know who he is so he could have - £50m for a multi billionaire.... 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    however well intended, maybe pissing the belgium off to the extent we did might just have been the wrong move in the long run? i agree with andy g - if these mega rich characters had really wanted the club they could have got to talk with RD and not via varney and if the silent partner was so silent RD wouldn't know who he is so he could have - £50m for a multi billionaire.... 
    RD wasn’t talking to anyone about selling the ground in the summer of 2020, whoever they were. That includes Barclay before he’d even heard of Varney. RD was willing to talk to TS because he offered all the benefits to him of ESI, in fact better, and much less of the risk. 

I think a £50m deal could have been structured. The view of the third party was, I understand, “whatever it takes”, but of course there are ways of approaching negotiations. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:

Perhaps he'll move us, although Dushitelet will have some clause safeguarding himself on that.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    RD wasn’t talking to anyone about selling the ground in the summer of 2020, whoever they were. That includes Barclay before he’d even heard of Varney. RD was willing to talk to TS because he offered all the benefits to him of ESI, in fact better, and much less of the risk. 

I think a £50m deal could have been structured. The view of the third party was, I understand, “whatever it takes”, but of course there are ways of approaching negotiations. 
    no that's right - he didn't want to sell when being forced to at first but came round to it so they could have spoke to rd when ts did or they could have bought from the crooks then bought the ground from RD 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:

The land has a positive value. We can argue what it is and how it’s arrived at, but it’s something that can be traded and offers security for investors. If the land had been available at £30m then we’d have different owners now because of that. The club without the land is just an ongoing liability in financial terms because it cannot break even over time outside of the PL. If it goes bust there is nothing underneath that. Why else were the ex-director loans secured over the freehold assets? 

If you get to the PL then I agree the club increases in value because of the guaranteed multi-year income stream, but you have to get there first, which is hard without attracting investment.
    Yes we’d have different owners but that doesn’t necessarily mean more successful. And you said the club is an ongoing liability, how would that differ owning the land? We’d still be losing money wherever, just slightly less because of the rental costs. 

Obviously no argument over security for investors although overall, investors can only recoup their outgoings if we’re successful on the pitch. 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:
    cafcfan said:
    We should still be grateful to Sandgaard. There was a chance we could have ceased to exist and he removed it. Also, he has invested in the club and in my view, wiser investment of the same scale and we would be in a much better place.

Behind the scenes it has been a bit chaotic as well as in front of them as 4 managers testify to. Stability seems to be a word Sandgaard doesn't understand. He has bought and owns this expensive toy and wants to play with it. The problem is, we have an emotional attachment to it and the fans, lets face it, area a big reason why people buy into a loss making business like football. Well lower league football at least. For the adulation and triumph when you get it right.
    Sandgaard needs to remove his son and wife from the club and bring in experience,  people who know what they are doing.
    After that we can move forward, behind the scenes anyway.
    I have chosen @ElfsborgAddick's post (almost) at random because this has been mentioned a lot on various threads. With words like nepotism being bandied about. It's odd though isn't it?

Many businesses are more than proud to herald that they are a family-run firm.  Ranging from local butchers through to the Issa brothers huge empire. (And where did the oft mentioned Andrew Barclay get his wealth from?)  Probably best though that I don't mention the Maxwell dynasty. My niece is HR director of a family-run and successful engineering company: there are the father and mother and three offspring in senior positions in the business.

Now, of course, the Sandgaard crew will have no experience of running an English professional football club. But then, how much of said experience did Murray and Varney have when they took over:  none. Varney was some form of admin person in Lewisham council I seem to recall!   He was far from infallible when he first started working for Charlton. Varney was not immune to making mistakes either.

In my opinion, ideally, Charlton should have an experienced CEO in place. But it hasn't and where would we get one?

At the end of the day we will succeed or fail. And far more football clubs do the latter.  To stae the bleeding obvious, only three clubs get promoted from Division 3 with 21 doing nothing or worse than nothing!. So the odds are against us as they are for everyone.

The Sandgaards will succeed or fail. Until we see the outcome we will not know which it will be.  Yes, a whole series of mistakes both on the football field and off it have been made. Let us hope that better decisions are made in the future. Otherwise it will be grim for everyone.  But who can say whether anyone else employed by the club would do better or worse than the current incumbents?
    "(And where did the oft mentioned Andrew Barclay get his wealth from?)"

The money behind Barclay was not solely from his family, although it's academic now anyway. There was a silent partner who would only have been revealed if it had happened. If Roland had got a sniff of this person's wealth he would have wanted even more. 

"Varney was some form of admin person in Lewisham council I seem to recall!   He was far from infallible when he first started working for Charlton. Varney was not immune to making mistakes either."

"Of course not, but he wasn't working for Lewisham council prior to 1997 when he joined the club. He was running a charity."

"In my opinion, ideally, Charlton should have an experienced CEO in place. But it hasn't and where would we get one?"

Well, presumably the same place we get players and managers from ... other clubs where they have had success? But in any event, not having anyone in the role is not the same as a good or bad incumbent. It's a hole in the structure.

"The Sandgaards will succeed or fail. Until we see the outcome we will not know which it will be."

People can make reasonable judgements based on their own experience and information coming out of the club. You can agree or disagree, but you can't argue it's unreasonable for people to have an opinion.

Out of interest.  Silent Partner...
    Real Wealth or Nimer style wealth or Russian style wealth?
    All a bit irrelevant really mate they didnt want to buy us enough to force it through did they, as in all of life until someone puts up the £ they can talk all they want
    Not sure what you can do if the vendor refuses point blank to engage, as happened here. As I've said before, the guy has enough money to blow Roland to kingdom come had RD done so, and his credentials are very sound.

Nobody succeeded in getting the assets off RD, though, did they?
    Sorry Rick I know it probably seems I'm being picky when I enter into these discussions with you into honestly isnt meant in that way. 
    I just dont get that narrative. RD wanted out of the club, if you wanted to sell something but wouldnt engage with me when I tried to buy it for whatever reason then I would find someone you would engage with to act on my behalf in order to buy the goods. RD might be mad but at the end of the day I'm sure given the choice he would rather have sold lock stock and barrel than have taken a quid just to stop his continuing losses
    He had stopped his losses in 2019 when he unloaded the loss-making business to ESI. He was under no pressure to sell the assets, other than the risk of being left 1) picking up the ex-director loans if the club went into administration and 2) without a tenant to pay him rent.

He could have got around £30m for the whole package for several years before 2020, especially in the summer of 2019, but he preferred not to do the deal and instead passed the club on for £1 to a group that basic due diligence would have demonstrated had no substance. That shows where his priority lay.

The Barclay approach (which didn’t predate ESI) would not entertain buying the club without the ground and Sparrows Lane and he would not talk to them. The reason he entertained TS (despite him being publicly linked to Varney) was because he was willing to lease the ground.

Had he spoken to Barclay and co I think there may have been a deal that could have been structured to appeal to him, because they were not constrained by budget, but he wouldn’t talk and once TS turned up he didn’t need to do so.

So, @Airman Brown ... do you think that Duchatelet's door was permanently closed?  And, if not, is it fair to say that 'Saviour' Sandgaard has removed any lingering possibility that the 'unconstrained by budget' Barclay and Co. could rekindle their discussions?

Sandgaard may have saved our Club from ESI but, despite the bluster, it feels like he has condemned us to the cheap seats for the foreseeable future.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:

Easy to spend somebody else's money. They don't stay that rich by overpaying.
    Haha I seem to be fighting a losing battle here trying to think in a way billionaires might do in respect of buying a football club but 1 last go.

If someone has that much money (not TS kind of money) and they think they can buy a club for £50m that has premiership potential in terms of stadium, catchment area etc the valuation if £50m against a true worth of perhaps £20m makes little difference. The purchase price is a drop in the ocean to what I know I'm gou g to have to spend in order to get there. That's all I'm trying to say 😂😂

Most of my clients are multi 100's of millions or billionaires and I have not met one yet who would pay that much over the odds for something.  In fact one phones me occasionally to moan about £5 here or there!  Just because you are unbelievably rich, doesn't make you a mug (usually) - in fact, quite the opposite.
    This is absolutely spot on!

I have worked with some incredibly wealthy - often very well known people - and in many cases they are extremely parsimonious!

When TS came in people seemed to think he'd be showering us with cash - that was never going to happen.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:

Haha I seem to be fighting a losing battle here trying to think in a way billionaires might do in respect of buying a football club but 1 last go.

If someone has that much money (not TS kind of money) and they think they can buy a club for £50m that has premiership potential in terms of stadium, catchment area etc the valuation if £50m against a true worth of perhaps £20m makes little difference. The purchase price is a drop in the ocean to what I know I'm gou g to have to spend in order to get there. That's all I'm trying to say 😂😂

Most of my clients are multi 100's of millions or billionaires and I have not met one yet who would pay that much over the odds for something.  In fact one phones me occasionally to moan about £5 here or there!  Just because you are unbelievably rich, doesn't make you a mug (usually) - in fact, quite the opposite.

I have worked with some incredibly wealthy - often very well known people - and in many cases they are extremely parsimonious!

When TS came in people seemed to think he'd be showering us with cash - that was never going to happen.

Agreed. My thoughts are that he has a 5 year plan for a reason, and that reason is that he simply doesn't have the funds to finance our losses for more than 5 years unless we're in the premier League or he can magically find a Lookman every year from the academy to flog, which he stands a much better chance of doing in the Championship given some of the silly prices that have been paid by the premier league for championship players in recent times.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:

He owns and is bankrolling the club, something no one else was able and or willing to do, even the secret silent billionaires. 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:

He owns and is bankrolling the club, something no one else was able and or willing to do, even the secret silent billionaires. 
    For now, but based on the false assumption which he keeps repeating for a reason: that he can triple the revenue and sell the ground out in L1 and, as he has also said, win promotion from the Championship without competing on wages. 

I agree, he is the owner we have and there is no point endlessly going over alternative scenarios any more than revisiting 2006. But it is important to understand why he is the owner - because like ESI he would rent the ground - and that this puts the club is a weak position going forward, even though it has removed the immediate threat of Southall, Farnell and co, which is clearly a good thing. 

No one else other than ESI would buy the club without the ground. That is still the case and means that unless Sandgaard turns water into wine, which I doubt he can, we still have.a problem. There is no value in the business.
    Well looks like pissing him right off has backfired 
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:

Agreed. My thoughts are that he has a 5 year plan for a reason, and that reason is that he simply doesn't have the funds to finance our losses for more than 5 years unless we're in the premier League or he can magically find a Lookman every year from the academy to flog, which he stands a much better chance of doing in the Championship given some of the silly prices that have been paid by the premier league for championship players in recent times.
    It is ridiculous having a five year plan in football. I have always said so. It can take longer or indeed be shorter to get in the Premier League. Surely your plan has to get everything involving the club lined up as effectively and efficiently as possible and you react to the situation as it is at any given time.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:

For now, but based on the false assumption which he keeps repeating for a reason: that he can triple the revenue and sell the ground out in L1 and, as he has also said, win promotion from the Championship without competing on wages. 

I agree, he is the owner we have and there is no point endlessly going over alternative scenarios any more than revisiting 2006. But it is important to understand why he is the owner - because like ESI he would rent the ground - and that this puts the club is a weak position going forward, even though it has removed the immediate threat of Southall, Farnell and co, which is clearly a good thing. 

No one else other than ESI would buy the club without the ground. That is still the case and means that unless Sandgaard turns water into wine, which I doubt he can, we still have.a problem. There is no value in the business.
    Except he was an arse when he arrived and before that in terms of other clubs. There’s no evidence his irrationality was confined to Charlton.
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:

It is ridiculous having a five year plan in football. I have always said so. It can take longer or indeed be shorter to get in the Premier League. Surely your plan has to get everything involving the club lined up as effectively and efficiently as possible and you react to the situation as it is at any given time.
    I think you have to have a plan of some kind over a length of time but it has to be something that is kept behind closed doors and more of an idea and where you want to get to and when. 

If you shout about things to everyone about premier league in 5 yrs and Europe etc and don't look like coming anyway near to delivering it, people will of course get pissed off.

I agree you have to react to different situations happening and can't always plan what happens. 

Sandgaard plan just comes across as he is just hitting and hoping that one day it will come together and the rest will be history. Yet it won't work like that and football isn't easy like he thinks it is.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:

Except he was an arse when he arrived and before that in terms of other clubs. There’s no evidence his irrationality was confined to Charlton.
    I didn’t say he was but u suggest he now has us by the bollox 
  • Options
    You can have to react in a positive way if say you get promoted in year one and year two. How can you have a plan for say year three when you could be in the Championship, League 1 or League 2?