Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Signing - Jack Payne -Two Year Deal - Confirmed

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    He’s game is about being busy and for me unless he gets a decent run in the team he can’t produce that form. I’d like to see him retained next season. 
  • Options
    May be too little too late from him, but hopefully he gets a start on Saturday off the back of this and can show he has something offer between now and the end of the season. The fella off the not the top 20 podcast highlighted him as our most exciting signing in the summer but that hasn't played out. Not sure where he really fits in the side, which has been part of his problem, but he has goals and assists in him and we will need to find more of both of those from other players just to replace what JRS has contributed this season, let alone increase our output to the level required to get promoted.

I don't hold out much hope that any of them will but the more of our current staring XI that can find some form and improve their contributions now, the less new signings we will need in the summer. Even if all the current good starters do is move to the bench to make way for the new first XI, the less signings we have to make the more chance we have of making the ones we really need to.
  • Options
    A poor man’s Jonny Williams.
  • Options
    He’s game is about being busy and for me unless he gets a decent run in the team he can’t produce that form. I’d like to see him retained next season. 
    He's got another year on his contract so seems likely. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Scores and assists more than Williams at this level. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    I thought, bar his goal of course, he was poor again. First touch is heavy and he constantly goes backwards as he has no ability to beat a man. Over hit his crosses too.

I really wanted him to be good when he joined, but he just isn't.

Croydon, were you at the match ? because you were either having a long piss or you should go to spec savers.
    Most good judges made him MOM.
    Just checked and Payne  was MOM with the average by 50 CL Members.

Jack Payne has been a disappointment but he was very good last night and scored a deserved goal. As Leaburn and Rak Sakyi weren't as sharp as normal it's a good job he found his scoring boots at last.

• Options
    edited April 2023
    Croydon said:
    I thought, bar his goal of course, he was poor again. First touch is heavy and he constantly goes backwards as he has no ability to beat a man. Over hit his crosses too.

Croydon, were you at the match ? because you were either having a long piss or you should go to spec savers.

Jack Payne has been a disappointment but he was very good last night and scored a deserved goal. As Leaburn and Rak Sakyi weren't as sharp as normal it's a good job he found his scoring boots at last.

I was mate. A cracking goal tbf to him, but I think he offered very little other than that. 

I'll admit I've hit a level of negativity with this entire squad where it takes something pretty special to get me excited. I just can't stand the fawning over mediocrity, and that no doubt skews my views

• Options
    edited April 2023
    Dazzler21 said:
    cafctom said:

Always thought the whole “he doesn’t score or assist” argument against Williams was bit of a lazy one. Not everything has to be about those metrics. He didn’t score or assist in the Playoff Final, but he was still the best player on the pitch. 

When we were firing in League One and the start of our Championship season, he was one of our most impactful players. Even if it was from the bench, he had an effectiveness about him that Payne generally doesn’t really have. 

And before anyone suggests it, I’m not saying we should therefore go and bring Williams back (though he is better than Payne)
  • Options
    if he’s kept as a squad player there will be big competition for the bench next season . Shame there won’t  be for the starting 11.
  • Options
    Would be a decent squad option for next season but I couldn't see him being a regular if the goal is promotion. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's a decent squad option to have. 3 goals and 4 assists in 1,144 minutes in the league is pretty good. Add in the banter games and it's 6 goals and 7 assists. Puts him 5th overall for goals and joint first for assists across the full season.
    Considering how few games he plays in the league I see him as an equivalent to Ben Reeves; a 10 we were excited about who disappointed compared to his reputation, but popped up with 4 goals and 3 assists in 29 games (1,835 mins) in our promotion season under Bowyer playing outside his favoured position. You need players like that to get through a successful season, we just need to make sure he's a squad option not an essential first teamer. He might not run games but his goal involvements are worth points
    It is how I see it. What the team/squad needs next season is the injection of some quality which could be done with a handful of players or less but some want to empty the baby out with the bath water.
  • Options
    He's a decent squad option to have. 3 goals and 4 assists in 1,144 minutes in the league is pretty good. Add in the banter games and it's 6 goals and 7 assists. Puts him 5th overall for goals and joint first for assists across the full season.
    Considering how few games he plays in the league I see him as an equivalent to Ben Reeves; a 10 we were excited about who disappointed compared to his reputation, but popped up with 4 goals and 3 assists in 29 games (1,835 mins) in our promotion season under Bowyer playing outside his favoured position. You need players like that to get through a successful season, we just need to make sure he's a squad option not an essential first teamer. He might not run games but his goal involvements are worth points
    It is how I see it. What the team/squad needs next season is the injection of some quality which could be done with a handful of players or less but some want to empty the baby out with the bath water.
    The defence is the best example of babies and bath water.

The question with Payne, IMO, is what is he?  Is he a "wide foward", a contender for a place in a 3 man midfield or a hail Mary super sub?
  • Options
    He doesn't have a place in the side, quite literally. He's not going to play in the number 9 role through the middle, he's not a proper winger, and he doesn't fit into the 3 roles we currently have in the midfield 3.

If we play 4231 and he's the number 10 or 1 of 3 attacking midfielders that all rotate between the areas of the pitch behind a more static number 9, then he's a good option to have. 

But we don't play that way and he's therefore a bit of a luxury player with no real role in the team other to come on and make a bit of an impact from the bench, unless he's asked to play in a role he's not really suited for
  • Options
    .cafctom said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    cafctom said:

Always thought the whole “he doesn’t score or assist” argument against Williams was bit of a lazy one. Not everything has to be about those metrics. He didn’t score or assist in the Playoff Final, but he was still the best player on the pitch. 

When we were firing in League One and the start of our Championship season, he was one of our most impactful players. Even if it was from the bench, he had an effectiveness about him that Payne generally doesn’t really have. 

And before anyone suggests it, I’m not saying we should therefore go and bring Williams back (though he is better than Payne)
    Williams great strength was getting us up the pitch and buying a cheap free kick.
    Highly effective at relieving pressure although sometimes felt a bit tedious if you were hoping for a more exciting opening
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    cafctom said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    cafctom said:

Doesn't matter, it shows that their only similarity is their size. They're very different players. 

He is not a poor man's Jonny Williams as you put it.
  • Options
    Curbs wants to see him playing in Fraser’s position I think.
  • Options
    Is this another player that people want to keep based on a sole good league game against 19th place? 
  • Options
    Is this another player that people want to keep based on a sole good league game against 19th place? 
    No-one has said that.
  • Options
    No-one has said that.
    "He's a decent squad option to have."
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    cafctom said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    cafctom said:

Doesn't matter, it shows that their only similarity is their size. They're very different players. 

He is not a poor man's Jonny Williams as you put it.
    They’re both intended to be energetic, busy, attacking midfielders to get on the ball support what happens in the final third of the pitch, often roaming across the line. Both with the skill set to play in the middle or out wide. 

So they’re really not that different, besides the fact that Williams would be a lot more threatening on his day. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No-one has said that.
    Could you just point out to me where I said that based on a sole good league game against 19th place while you're at it? If you read my comment I pointed at that his goal and assist return across the season is very similar to Ben Reeves in our promotion season in 18/19. The exact kind of squad player you want, someone who can provide a decent return on goals and assists without playing much. Not just based on one game, but then you knew that.
    If you're going to keep starting arguments based on comments you've made up in your head can you start your own 'SELR_addicks whines about everything to himself' thread that we can all avoid? Cheers.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    No-one has said that.
    Could you just point out to me where I said that based on a sole good league game against 19th place while you're at it? If you read my comment I pointed at that his goal and assist return across the season is very similar to Ben Reeves in our promotion season in 18/19. The exact kind of squad player you want, someone who can provide a decent return on goals and assists without playing much. Not just based on one game, but then you knew that.
    If you're going to keep starting arguments based on comments you've made up in your head can you start your own 'SELR_addicks whines about everything to himself' thread that we can all avoid? Cheers.
    Would you have mentioned he was worth keeping without the good performance just gone? 

He has played 36 games with 3 goals and 4 assists. It's not a good return at all. Ben Reeves getting carried by Cullen, Bielik and Aribo shouldn't be a positive point when talking about Payne. 

He's 28, at the peak of his career and he struggles to get into a midtable League One side. 
  • Options
    .cafctom said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    cafctom said:

Williams great strength was getting us up the pitch and buying a cheap free kick.
    Highly effective at relieving pressure although sometimes felt a bit tedious if you were hoping for a more exciting opening
    I don't think it's a coincidence that Williams best dozen, or so, games for us started in the play off final.

IMO he is great when you need an out ball and are playing to hit the opposition on the counter.  I think he is quite poor when you are trying to break a team down.  Possibly why he looked good playing for Wales.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:

I was mate. A cracking goal tbf to him, but I think he offered very little other than that. 

I'll admit I've hit a level of negativity with this entire squad where it takes something pretty special to get me excited. I just can't stand the fawning over mediocrity, and that no doubt skews my views

No I can't agree with that, everything you just said I totally agree with. 10x the amount of poor decisions compared to his one well taken shot that resulted in a goal. For me I'd be looking to move him on.
  • Options
    No-one has said that.
    Would you have mentioned he was worth keeping without the good performance just gone? 

He has played 36 games with 3 goals and 4 assists. It's not a good return at all. Ben Reeves getting carried by Cullen, Bielik and Aribo shouldn't be a positive point when talking about Payne. 

He's 28, at the peak of his career and he struggles to get into a midtable League One side. 
    Er yes because I did, I pointed out his goal and assist tally being surprisingly high a few weeks ago. 36 games but only 1,234 minutes. He's involved in a goal every 176 minutes. He only started 11 of those games. In 6 of his sub appearances he got 10 minutes or less, sometimes 1 minute. He got an assist in a game where he was on for 3 minutes. He got goals in games where he was on for 13 and 18 minutes. 2 of his goals and 2 of his assists have come as a sub. He's the very definition of a useful sub. You bringing up Cullen, Bielik and Aribo is actually a perfect example, you just don't understand why. They were the first teamers, Reeves came on if we needed to change something, needed to rotate or had an injury. He was already in the squad and we made the changes above him and got some use out of him as a backup. That's how we should use Payne next season; it's the first teamers we need to improve, he's proven his worth as a useful squad option at L1 level when something has to change and he has a year left on his deal. But again, if you can point out to me where anyone has said they want to keep him based on that one game I'd be very interested to see it. Or you can just keep inventing reasons to moan about arguments that happened in your head, whichever.
  • Options
    Curbs wants to see him playing in Fraser’s position I think.
    For me he is a poor man’s Scott Fraser and I don’t think Fraser is consistently good enough for a competitive midfielder.  Payne is too one-footed, unable to protect the ball and just not physically strong enough to play a midfield role.  He does have some skill and when it comes off and he avoids close contact from opponents he looks good but I would class him as a tricky L2 player.  As I said on the Fraser thread, it is more what he does (or doesn’t do) when he is having an average or worse game than those moments when it all comes right.
  • Options
    Reminds me a bit of John Robinson. 
    Personally I think he’s a very decent player at this level. Technically sound, busy and will score and create if given the chance. 
    Would like to see him played in the 10 role for the remaining three games, to see if he can do it next season. 
  • Options
    I think, without focusing on any particular player that a manager can see ways a player can fit into his plans and this is where you expect a knowledgable decision to be made if you have a decent manager and I think we have and he is going tom ake decisions based on his plans on what he wants us to be and who can contribute to that and not anger and whatever he decides, personally I back him 100%.
  • Options
    I think, without focusing on any particular player that a manager can see ways a player can fit into his plans and this is where you expect a knowledgable decision to be made if you have a decent manager and I think we have and he is going tom ake decisions based on his plans on what he wants us to be and who can contribute to that and not anger and whatever he decides, personally I back him 100%.
    I was relieved to see that . at the end.  I thought you’d lost it for a minute (or two !).  ;-)