Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Are you looking forward to the new season?

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2022
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Some very bold predictions in there! Most I’ve seen have had us 11th or 12th which I think is about right at the moment. 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    I’m still indifferent.  Willing to give all the new signings the benefit of the doubt and don’t know enough about them to offer an opinion, so hope they can come in and improve the team.  Want to see Garner do well as he seems like an intelligent bloke and has come across well in interviews so far and has a style he wants to implement, albeit one that comes with the need for high levels of concentration, movement and ability (imo).

On the flip side, I’m not a fan of a lot of the so called ‘better’ players we retained last year.  He may not feature much, but I don’t think Gilbey should be here.  Morgan has to show some consistency.  I don’t rate DJ.  Inniss & Aneke aren’t reliable, despite the latter being described as a cheat code and all this talk of what he can do off the bench.  JFC imo isn’t as good as everyone seems to think he is at this level.  I think Stockley is a handful, good in the air and must be very hard to play against, but I don’t think he’s that good with the ball at his feet and I am not sure he’s going to take to the style I assume Garner wants to play.

I hope Kirk, Lavelle & Fraser have good seasons, as we didn’t really see much of them for various reasons last season.  

I think it’s going to be better than last season, it absolutely has to be, I just don’t think we’ve plugged to gulf from where we finished last season to where we want to be this season.  

I hope I am wrong, and this lot go on to find the extra gear, I just can’t see it at the moment, even with whoever is left to come in on loan or whatever 
    Nail on head for me, 100%
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    I’m curious rather than excited. If we had not made substantive changes after the last two seasons then I’d either have been increasingly disengaged or watching for all the wrong reasons by this point. However, We have made sweeping changes and, like most, I am curious to see whether Benball and his new mates will be donning their sailors’ hats and breaking a bottle on the bows of HMS Piss the League. My expectation is that they won’t and we will flounder yet again on a couple of islands (to keep the metaphor going) that any half qualified seafarer would be aware of before leaving port, in our case the lack of a quality, striker who is out of nappies and won’t be crocked every other week, and a decent left footed defender & wingback. It might be a more enjoyable voyage than the last couple of outings though. Then there are the issues that will keep us awake for a few weeks - will Albie finally come good? is Kirk really a dud after all?  How many appearances before Chucks gets a career ending in-growing toenail?  Who will Chelsea sign first - Miles or Kanu? Ok, I’m being a bit playful but the last couple of seasons have killed any diminishing sense of expectation I have. It will certainly be an interesting season. It might just be the change that we have been waiting for. If not and we’re in the mire by Christmas, we’ll it will certainly be interesting in the field and off!   As I say, I’m curious. 
  • Options
    Very excited indeed 

looking forward to a different brand of football, some new faces and some entertainment

i suspect there will be a lot of goals (at both ends) but it will be aesthetically pleasing too

being it on

• Options

• Options
    Yes I'm always excited before the first match, but it usually doesn't last long. As for the team I reserve judgment until the window closes but agree with many that we need striker.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes, but...

After seeing Swindon only won 9 out of 23 matches at home last season I just can't see how Charlton will improve on that at the Valley. I can see Charlton having 60% of the play and drawing many matches. We needed more friendlies against League sides, we are under prepared and @MuttleyCAFC comment about evolution not revolution is spot on. 

I find wide men like CBT going past their full back aesthetically pleasing and crossing for Aneke to head home like in the Morecambe home match. Of course I want to see a team that can pass the ball and have good game management, we will struggle to win home matches but we will win more away.

Hoof balls are rubbish but good quick diagonal passes will catch teams out. 

You need to mix and match in the mediocre League 1, and play to the strengths of the players in your squad. 

Interesting to see if Garner can win 9 out of 16 home games like JJ did last season after he took over from Adkins ? 

Johnnie Jackson should have tried a different formation away from home as the season wore on just like Ben Garner should have tried a different formation at home as it was the poor home form which meant Swindon only finished 6th after 13 impressive away wins.
  • Options
    Yes.  Optimistic.  Predominantly young squad and core of the team is there.  BG seems to have a style and a plan.  Am hopeful the team can make it work, but let's see after 10 games.  Looking forward to geting back to the valley.
  • Options
    I always look forward to a new season .. I tend to control my expectations until after a few games have gone .. win lose or draw I enjoy my days out 'at the football' .. come on youse Addicksaaaaaaaa !!  :)
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Some surprising predictions there

Plymouth 2nd, Posh 4th, Wednesday 7th, Barnsley 8th, Wycombe 13th??, Oxford 14th??
  • Options
    Moderately. I'm pleased that we will see better football, having got fed up with other clubs passing so much better than us.

On the other hand, I'm not over optimistic about our chances of mounting a real promotion campaign though and after the excitement of being able to return to live sport last season, some of that enthusiasm has subsided, especially when a lot of our away games this season have a "same old, same old" feel to them.
    The away game fixture list doesn't exactly help either. Looking at a few of the games I'm most interested in

Port Vale - 22 Nov, the second day of the World Cup
    Pompey - NYD
    FGR - Tuesday evening in February (Valentine's Day too!)
    Both west country games - February and March
    Derby - February

Indeed 3 of the away games I'm most interested in, Exeter, FGR and Derby are all within 15 days in February!

The Port Vale game is on 19th November. 2 days before the World Cup starts.

I’m planning to go, and then fly out to Qatar the next morning.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Eh, hard not to.

We'll probably be somewhere between the overly optimistic hope and fear induced  negativity. Still Question marks hanging over players and Garner which can't really be answered until we get underway. 

But with more of an idea as to how we'll set up and play this season, there's something to look forward too.

I just hope we take the pizza cup seriously. Oh and more Sandgaard is a Messiah/ naughty boy handbags. That's always mind numbingly fun to filter through. 
  • Options
    Season starting in july is abhorrent. But yes, I always get a bit of a lift as the season starts. Not a finished squad so I won't make a prediction without knowing how we finish the recruitment, but there are way to many people in a panic on here when we are openly still looking for more faces. What if, what if? We probably have enough in the tank to start okay and maybe improve as a new face or two arrive. FFS can it be worse than last season really?
  • Options
    I feel sorry for anyone who doesn’t have an optimistic outlook as a season begins.
    Whether or not it’s misguided optimism is nether here nor there……I enjoy the glass half full approach and will deal with with any negatives as and when they occur along the way.
    Twas it ever thus. 🤞
    UP THE ADDICKS!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Won’t listen to the podcast, but how he reckons Burton will finish that high is ridiculous. Top goal scorer got 8 last season and has gone back to his loan club. JFH has been looking to leave for last 18 months. Probably guaranteed relegation bankers in football league.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Scoham said:

Plymouth 2nd, Posh 4th, Wednesday 7th, Barnsley 8th, Wycombe 13th??, Oxford 14th??
    Plymouth’s successful campaign will rest fairly strongly on whether they keep Camara. I think in truth he’ll head to pastures new quite late on in the window and so I think mid table will be where they finish.

Wednesday 7th is very bizarre as they finished last season like train and have improved in the summer. Oxford are far too consistent for 14th, but I do think they may struggle for goals a bit this year.

Unpopular opinion generally, but I think they have Wycombe about right (maybe a couple of places low). I think teams were starting to figure them out last season and I think their bubble has just started to burst. I feel like Ainsworth maybe should have already left and it shows signs of going a bit stale.
  • Options
    12th feels too low, but at the same time when you look at the teams above us, you can see why they've put us there at the bottom of the Big 12.

Interesting that they're not sure whether Stockley and Aneke are mobile enough for the system (which is what a lot of us are saying) and also think Garner is unproven when he doesn't have standout players for that division...
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Scoham said:

Plymouth’s successful campaign will rest fairly strongly on whether they keep Camara. I think in truth he’ll head to pastures new quite late on in the window and so I think mid table will be where they finish.

Wednesday 7th is very bizarre as they finished last season like train and have improved in the summer. Oxford are far too consistent for 14th, but I do think they may struggle for goals a bit this year.

Unpopular opinion generally, but I think they have Wycombe about right (maybe a couple of places low). I think teams were starting to figure them out last season and I think their bubble has just started to burst. I feel like Ainsworth maybe should have already left and it shows signs of going a bit stale.
    Oxford have lost a few good players this summer. I would have us above them at the moment but I’m sure they will be recruiting a lot before the end of the window so may still finish in their usual spot around the play offs 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    Scoham said:

Oxford have lost a few good players this summer. I would have us above them at the moment but I’m sure they will be recruiting a lot before the end of the window so may still finish in their usual spot around the play offs 
    3 seasons in a row when they’ve been competing for the top 6. Can imagine pressure is high on KR to take the final step and get them up. IMO Oxford are the team which I think will struggle. 
  • Options
    I always look forward to the new season, and the first home game in particularly - why else would you go if you weren't looking forward to it - and I always feel a warm sense of excitement as I approach the ground. 

However, in terms of expectations, they are not that high. I can't see anything in our squad to suggest we will do much better than last season. We are relying on too many things to work out to be challenging, and realistically I just can't see it all happening. I am hoping for a top six challenge, but expecting mid-table again. Whatever happens though, I will be there and enjoy it. Even when you have a terrible run of defeats there is always the hope that the next game is the day it all changes!
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    Scoham said:

3 seasons in a row when they’ve been competing for the top 6. Can imagine pressure is high on KR to take the final step and get them up. IMO Oxford are the team which I think will struggle. 
    They'd like to go up, but don't have the budget to expect it though
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    Scoham said:

There is a bit of money coming into Oxford though which means more signings coming and that, combined with Robinson’s clear ability as a league one manager, means they’re pretty much guaranteed top ten I believe,