Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NFT sponsorship

Comments

• Options
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    Yeah videos make zero sense unless only 1 person was allowed at that venue for that specific event. 

If a band sell a album/song to 1 bidder though,  they can lease it out, get royalties from radio stations and movies etc. 

But that person owning it could be a big turn off to fans of the band, the potential audience, who buy into bands because of the personal touch; not some random on the Internet and therefore a turn off to any potential broadcasters therefore affecting any potential for monetisation.
    I mean, I can't tell you about what fans might like, im simply telling you something that could be possible. WU tang sold a album to 1 bidder a few years ago, im pointing out how it can be monetised, as finances are all that seem to matter. 
    Yes indeed 👍🏻
    I can only refer to the music industry but it seems many are taking the approach of if they talk about it long enough it’ll become viable.
    This doesn’t actually do anything to enrich music, it’s only about an individuals profit and exclusivity rather than popularity and inclusivity which is the point where music becomes about people and that human interaction.
     I can’t see it becoming established.
    It's not about the music  or inclusivety when bands get 15p for 300000 plays on Spotify, or you pay £300 to see the rolling stones :)
    Which is why streaming is slowly dying and live performance is the only growth area (and by virtue the crazy ticket prices) which one of these has most in common with NFT’s?
    live performance and tickets.
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    Yeah videos make zero sense unless only 1 person was allowed at that venue for that specific event. 

If a band sell a album/song to 1 bidder though,  they can lease it out, get royalties from radio stations and movies etc. 

But that person owning it could be a big turn off to fans of the band, the potential audience, who buy into bands because of the personal touch; not some random on the Internet and therefore a turn off to any potential broadcasters therefore affecting any potential for monetisation.
    I mean, I can't tell you about what fans might like, im simply telling you something that could be possible. WU tang sold a album to 1 bidder a few years ago, im pointing out how it can be monetised, as finances are all that seem to matter. 
    Yes indeed 👍🏻
    I can only refer to the music industry but it seems many are taking the approach of if they talk about it long enough it’ll become viable.
    This doesn’t actually do anything to enrich music, it’s only about an individuals profit and exclusivity rather than popularity and inclusivity which is the point where music becomes about people and that human interaction.
    It's not about the music  or inclusivety when bands get 15p for 300000 plays on Spotify, or you pay £300 to see the rolling stones :)
    Which is why streaming is slowly dying and live performance is the only growth area (and by virtue the crazy ticket prices) which one of these has most in common with NFT’s?

Not shocked at that, weve just had 2 summers with no live events to attend. 

Demand is certainly there, but it also comes down to the fact for any normal creator (music in this case) it’s realistically the only way to actually earn anything, many are using content creation as a business model, including affiliated work: Youtube mainly with Instagram and tiktok an offshoot of this.
    This is making a lot of ‘musicians’ more like product demonstrators than musicians with all their time taken up with filming then editing then posting their ‘content’ and not a lot of playing’songs’!
    Was at a big expo recently in Berlin (Superbooth) and there were more people there that were operating in an area more in common with tv presenters than music!

Its in a weird place and I worry NFTs may make it weirder…
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:

Yes indeed 👍🏻
    Can’t see shows with only one audience member becoming a thing, concerts need to sell as many “copies” of a ticket as possible to work how is that like an NFT?
  • Options
    edited August 2022
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:

Yes indeed 👍🏻

Demand is certainly there, but it also comes down to the fact for any normal creator (music in this case) it’s realistically the only way to actually earn anything, many are using content creation as a business model, including affiliated work: Youtube mainly with Instagram and tiktok an offshoot of this.
    This is making a lot of ‘musicians’ more like product demonstrators than musicians with all their time taken up with filming then editing then posting their ‘content’ and not a lot of playing’songs’!
    Was at a big expo recently in Berlin (Superbooth) and there were more people there that were operating in an area more in common with tv presenters than music!

Nfts need to be seen as another outlet and not like mini disks replacing vinyl. Unless youre Elton John or the huge names... youre making nothing from touring, its all from merch. My sister inlaw in massively into music and heads off to small events by people like soulwax all the time. Very exclusive, invite only type stuff with no charge and sinply for fans... that kinda stuff makes people feel part of something and would make a nft that gives those kinds of perks very desirable.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:

Yes indeed 👍🏻
    Welcome to the music industry.
    Ah but that’s the thing, if something isn’t successful it dies: success doesn’t mean it has to be any good, but success does require popularity in some form and popularity requires inclusivity.
    nothing stops you from owning nfts. It's permission-less. You don't have to live anywhere to create a web3 wallet and get an nft.
    How do you apply popularity to a singular item owned by an individual?
    perhaps there will be nft tours, where Russian Tom will tour venues so people can buy tickets to come along and look at it, we can all stand in a long queue to get to see its chosen form, that’ll be fun!
  • Options
    last month, 500 owners of Damien Hirsts NFT were invited to his studio for an open day. Each person was GIVEN a hand painted spin painting (probably worth over 10k), this was the 4th perk received off the back of a $2000 purchase. This is just an example of how nfts can work other than just a 'jpeg' on a screen. 

its not replacing ART or painting, its just another to get work out.
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:

Yes indeed 👍🏻

Nfts need to be seen as another outlet and not like mini disks replacing vinyl. Unless youre Elton John or the huge names... youre making nothing from touring, its all from merch. My sister inlaw in massively into music and heads off to small events by people like soulwax all the time. Very exclusive, invite only type stuff with no charge and sinply for fans... that kinda stuff makes people feel part of something and would make a nft that gives those kinds of perks very desirable.

But being selected for something that's free, that's very exclusive, is very different to throwing a ton of money at something to make it very exclusive
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:

Yes indeed 👍🏻

Yea good example I get that, just feels like the nft is being shoehorned into the equation for the sake of it (don’t mean by you but rather in general) which is what I meant with my stupid nft tour example, the nft isn’t the ‘thing’ is it, im just a bit sick of seeing people getting a bit consumed by it.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:

Yes indeed 👍🏻

But being selected for something that's free, that's very exclusive, is very different to throwing a ton of money at something to make it very exclusive

Who says 'it' has to cost a lot of money ?  Nfts can be free, but the airdrops random. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2022
    shine166 said:
    last month, 500 owners of Damien Hirsts NFT were invited to his studio for an open day. Each person was GIVEN a hand painted spin painting (probably worth over 10k), this was the 4th perk received off the back of a $2000 purchase. This is just an example of how nfts can work other than just a 'jpeg' on a screen. 

But the fact it was originally sold as an NFT is irrelevant isn't it?

If 500 people signed up to the Damien Hirst fan club and got a piece of paper confirming it, you could still give the perks?  

Like the Barcelona example its something that has legitimate real world value that has the real value.  Not the actual NFT other than a method to prove ownership?
  • Options
    shine166 said:

But perks can be applied to anything, it doesn't say anything about the content of the NFT, or the use of NFTs in general. If I open a sandwich shop and give out a gold bar with every purchase, the gold bar doesn't tell you anything about the quality of my sandwiches. It just makes people more likely to buy them.
  • Options
    shine166 said:

But that’s Damien Hurst, he’s already achieved success, and has that audience; it’s like your Elton John analogy, he is one of the select that can earn money in fairly any way they fancy.
    It breaks down for me when nfts are heralded as a way forward, it seems the exemptions are being used to prove the rule.
    We can call it a moot point but I want to understand and appreciate how it is realistically a way forward for average Joe the creator.
  • Options
    shine166 said:

But that’s Damien Hurst, he’s already achieved success, and has that audience; it’s like your Elton John analogy, he is one of the select that can earn money in fairly any way they fancy.
    It breaks down for me when nfts are heralded as a way forward, it seems the exemptions are being used to prove the rule.
    We can call it a moot point but I want to understand and appreciate how it is realistically a way forward for average Joe the creator.
    Its not exemptions, its examples... you told me that musicians make money from in person real world events and streaming is dead. 

• Options
    shine166 said:

But perks can be applied to anything, it doesn't say anything about the content of the NFT, or the use of NFTs in general. If I open a sandwich shop and give out a gold bar with every purchase, the gold bar doesn't tell you anything about the quality of my sandwiches. It just makes people more likely to buy them.

Are you trying to tell me that the most successful things in the world are maybe not the best and are just great marketing ?

mad that :)
  • Options
    I have friends that make nfts and have done exremely well out of it, you dont have to be Damien Hirst to sell 5000 units at $100 each, just great marketing.

• Options
    @aliwibble

Thanks Ali for getting the thread back up and running in time to trail this podcast. I'm sorry you had to spend time cleaning it up; we need to all somehow agree a way to persuade people to keep the lid on things better. 

Anyway, I recommend the pod to everyone. This pod has been Media Outlet No. 1 in its clear-eyed analysis of the ESI troub;es, and Kieran is tough but fair. He has previously had the Bedford Town ("FAPL in 10 years") guy on for an interview.  

Going to save this for my coffee break...

Could be the surname.  Timoshenko, for example. 
    That'd be Ukrainian...
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:

Are you trying to tell me that the most successful things in the world are maybe not the best and are just great marketing ?

mad that :)
    Ridiculous 
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:

Yes indeed 👍🏻
    Can’t see shows with only one audience member becoming a thing, concerts need to sell as many “copies” of a ticket as possible to work how is that like an NFT?
    But all veneues have a capacity. You only allow users to mint a certain number of ticket NFT. All because each nft is individual and unique doesn't mean they can't be part of a series. If you can't go, you can sell to someone else and it's written in the smart contract of the nft that a percentage of that goes directly back to the artist. When you appear at the venue you have your web3 wallet installed on your phone and show the ticket at the gate. If you buy an nft you might also gain access to other stuff like exlusive access to videos of the artist etc and other advantages.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:

Yes indeed 👍🏻
    But all veneues have a capacity. You only allow users to mint a certain number of ticket NFT. All because each nft is individual and unique doesn't mean they can't be part of a series. If you can't go, you can sell to someone else and it's written in the smart contract of the nft that a percentage of that goes directly back to the artist. When you appear at the venue you have your web3 wallet installed on your phone and show the ticket at the gate. If you buy an nft you might also gain access to other stuff like exlusive access to videos of the artist etc and other advantages.
    Please can someone actually answer this.

This is nothing to do with it being an NFT as opposed to a piece of paper, a piece of card, an email, or a stamp on the back of your hand is it?

If you buy a Charlton season ticket you could gain access to exlusive online coverage, training ground tours and other advantages.  It doesn't matter what format the season ticket is in does it?

It's not something unique to NFTs?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:

Yes indeed 👍🏻

This is nothing to do with it being an NFT as opposed to a piece of paper, a piece of card, an email, or a stamp on the back of your hand is it?

If you buy a Charlton season ticket you could gain access to exlusive online coverage, training ground tours and other advantages.  It doesn't matter what format the season ticket is in does it?

There's things you can do on-chain that you can't do otherwise without some level of risk or heavy use of a third party. You could loan your season ticket to some one, but they could lose it, refuse to give it back and then you've got to contact the club. On chain, you could loan your NFT season ticket to some one and then guaranteed to have it back, and maybe get some on chain cash too, all without involving a third party to facilitate this - except maybe a protocol, but the protocol is just creating a smart contract for you, no other involvement... If you're sick of the club, you could bin your season ticket, but then that just results in empty seats - if you dont want your season ticket nft anymore, you can sell it on the open market. Get some money for it, and the club would be able to get some money too - and some one filling the seat. Or you could just burn your nft season ticket... if you wanted to be really destructive! The thing is it's permisionless, we've only just scratched the surface of this world, you'll be able to do whatever you want with it, all you need is code!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:

Yes indeed 👍🏻

There's things you can do on-chain that you can't do otherwise without some level of risk or heavy use of a third party. You could loan your season ticket to some one, but they could lose it, refuse to give it back and then you've got to contact the club. On chain, you could loan your NFT season ticket to some one and then guaranteed to have it back, and maybe get some on chain cash too, all without involving a third party to facilitate this - except maybe a protocol, but the protocol is just creating a smart contract for you, no other involvement... If you're sick of the club, you could bin your season ticket, but then that just results in empty seats - if you dont want your season ticket nft anymore, you can sell it on the open market. Get some money for it, and the club would be able to get some money too - and some one filling the seat. Or you could just burn your nft season ticket... if you wanted to be really destructive! The thing is it's permisionless, we've only just scratched the surface of this world, you'll be able to do whatever you want with it, all you need is code!
    Yes but that's not what I asked.......
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:

Its not exemptions, its examples... you told me that musicians make money from in person real world events and streaming is dead. 

It’s not “examples”, it’s “exceptions”. 
  • Options
    @aliwibble

Thanks Ali for getting the thread back up and running in time to trail this podcast. I'm sorry you had to spend time cleaning it up; we need to all somehow agree a way to persuade people to keep the lid on things better. 

Anyway, I recommend the pod to everyone. This pod has been Media Outlet No. 1 in its clear-eyed analysis of the ESI troub;es, and Kieran is tough but fair. He has previously had the Bedford Town ("FAPL in 10 years") guy on for an interview.  

That'd be Ukrainian...
    Indeed, but people do move. 
  • Options
    @aliwibble

That'd be Ukrainian...
    Racist

PS 😉
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:

Yes indeed 👍🏻

Essentially I believe it is authenticity and trade abilities. NFT’s have easier, quicker production capabilities and probably other control benefits that I am not aware of.
    From a sports organisations perspective it will be more useful to build out the fan base by using NFT’s as it may (if it wishes) prevent the NFT benefits being handed onto someone who hasn’t paid for the privilege. It may choose to allow these benefits to be sold on to someone who is not the original purchaser…. Thus, any benefits passed on (sold) will benefit the NFT holder with a percentage going to the originating sports franchise.
    Both are therefore rewarded for something that may not be of interest to the NFT holder, but is to someone else within the wider fan base who is not a NFT holder. There can also be aspects that entice as collectibles that are heading into a new era, again with the same revenue generating benefits to both issuer and holder. Sports organisations will see the benefit of increasing revenue and wider fan engagement. It will probably work easier for the larger sports organisations and may not be cost effective for Charlton Athletic, although the cost of minting NFT’s will reduce over time hopefully.
    It is certainly likely to appeal to the global branded sports franchises...... Isn't that what Thomas has in mind for us ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2022
  • Options
    Well done the Trust for calling the meeting and well done the club for responding.

I still think the firm and the concept, in this particular instance although perhaps not all NFTs, are as dodgy as **** but at least the club say they know who the owners of Generous Robots are (so not a DAO?) and some safeguards are in place.
  • Options
    Pico said:
    Why do we need the trust members/boards job descriptions?  What bases does Raelynn have to attend the meeting,  I assume it was explained what her actually role is?