Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v QPR Match Thread - League Cup 1st Round | Tuesday 9th August 2022 + POST MATCH (p18)

Comments

• Jac_52 said:
    Once they took off Bonne they looked much better, which didn't surprise me in the slightest as he's like playing with 10 men. Thought there would be only one winner after that and their goal but what a strike from Henry. I didn't think he was playing well at all before he banged that one in, unbelievable technique.

Ness really isn't a right back, would have made more sense to bring Chin on. Hopefully he gets a run out at CB in the pizza cup as I thought he outshone Lavelle in the pre-season game he played and looked very comfortable on the ball.
    Ness did play most of pre-season at RB though. As a natural CB, you'd hope he'd be able to play as a "defensive" right back
    He'll probably improve with experience.
    Don't feel such hopelessness about it.
  • edited August 2022
    Pass completion percentages, lowest to highest (minimum 10 passes) plus accurate long balls/long ball attempts:

O'Connell 96.9% (63/65) (7/9)
    Lavelle 95.6% (43/45) (5/6)
    Dobson 93.9% (31/33) (5/5)
    Clare 90.7% (49/54) (5/6)
    Payne 90.0% (18/20) (1/1)
    Clayden 89.5% (34/38) (2/3)
    Gilbey 86.7% (26/30) (2/4)
    JFC 86.5% (32/37) (3/7)
    Henry 81.8% (9/11) (2/2)
    Morgan 81.8% (9/11) (3/5)
    Ness 75.0% (9/12) (0/1)
    DJ 73.9% (17/23) (1/3)
    Wollacott 71.0% (22/31) (7/15)
    Leaburn 68.8% (11/16) (0/1)

• Europe , here we come, it’s the final countdown!
  • edited August 2022
    Wtf they doing in the bottom left hand corner , looked like they were trying to horizontally levitate but failed each time and had to put their hands out to stop themselves from face planting .
  • edited August 2022
    Leuth said:
    (I WILL say that Ness looks completely unready, but hey, Egbo to come back) 
    He’s looked fine in all the other games where he’s played. But dribbling out of defence and giving the ball away resulting in a goal would unsettle anyone. Give him a break ffs. 
    And I think he played a part in the equaliser?
  • Sponsored links:

• colthe3rd said:
    mendonca said:
    Without Aneke/Washington, our lack of forward options are showing.
    I really think Washington would have complemented this system and style of play.
    While I do agree the problem is I don't think he'd be the first choice to start as the lone striker and we saw his limitations when playing out wide before. Absolutely he'd have been a great option to change things a bit bit I doubt he'd have accepted that.
    Mebe we would have expected a replacement,or better ,by now.But it hasnt happened,and it shows. Thanks ALL ,for the stream, B.T.W.
  • ButtleJR said:

Other that what looks like a juicy pimple on his cheek, he’s scathing of his players and says we played well!  Surely a positive for us!

like how he doesn’t ‘take no sh*t’ in regards to post game interviews, and is very honest, seems like we edged it and potentially garnet was the right footballing option over Beale (will wait until May to make judgement!)  
  • Andrew Crofts currently head coach of Brighton U21s. Who are we getting on loan then?

I'm more worried about which of our youngsters they want to rob.
  • Andrew Crofts currently head coach of Brighton U21s. Who are we getting on loan then?
    Afraid not. The question actually to ask is which of our young players will they be buying?
    100% ---All probably come to watch Leaburn ,as a future prospect.
  • Is it just me or is Aaron Henry the new Bruno Fernandes?? If he is scoring goals like that at 18 against Championship level men -  he is one mighty talent.

In fact, looking at this squad, early as it is, I cannot recall a time when I last saw so many potential scorers in a Charlton team. The midfield is absolutely brilliant with so many options. The defence, EOC aside, looks absolutely solid with options. And we have Aneke, Stockley, Leaburn, Kanu and a few additions to come in the next fortnight. Even with a good few injuries I can see this squad still get points on the board. Definitely couldn't say that last season. Keep going lads! A terrific start to the season.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    @golfaddick does that count as a golfie
    Sorry, but I agree with Mourinho on this one. The game finished 1-1. 
    We're not. Brighton are signing Leaburn in the morning......
  • And could actually get a table in the Fansbar and served with no queue
    Great result!
  • Sponsored links:

• Looking back, as well as his obviously brilliant goal, the penalty from Henry was superb as well. You can't place a penalty much better, Harry Kane would've been happy with that.
  • things r ticking along nicely atm - can only help in getting the last few signings over the line - win at Wednesday and we can start to believe 
  • I do really enjoy listening to Garner speak.

Be interesting to see what he says and how he reacts after some poor results. 
    Only if he starts by saying it's hard trying to compete with the big boys in the Prem. Not before then if you don't mind! 😎
  • Leuth said:
    Beale going out of his way to be nice about Charlton a few times there. Good stuff
    Interesting really, as one of my very rare ITK snippets is that he was offered the job here and turned it down because of ‘the state the club was in’. 
    Was that pre Adkins, just after he left, or this summer?
  • swordfish said:
    Leuth said:
    Beale going out of his way to be nice about Charlton a few times there. Good stuff
    Interesting really, as one of my very rare ITK snippets is that he was offered the job here and turned it down because of ‘the state the club was in’. 
    Was that pre Adkins, just after he left, or this summer?
    This summer. I have no context for the quote which is why I’ve not shared in the past - ‘the state of the club’ could refer to anything from his assessment of the strength of the playing side, the fact we are in league one, to the budget on offer or perhaps a combination of these and even more nefarious things.
  • Very good start to the season so far. Win on Saturday and it's been Superb.
  • Clayden was a stand out for me - really solid - given he has literally no senior minutes  No need to buy a back up left back in my opinion. Odd some of the low scores he got in the ratings thread. 
    Good to see Clayden getting some
    praise. I backed him in preseason, I’m not convinced we’ll be able to bring in better as a back up left back. Like it or not Sess is here to be first choice in that position.

On the low scores is this a case of some not rating him so are looking for mistakes that back up their opinion? Perhaps it doesn’t help some having in the back of their mind that a year ago he was playing as a winger.

I don’t think he’s got the quality to play in the front three but he has the pace and enough about him to potentially become a decent attacking full back.
  • And could actually get a table in the Fansbar and served with no queue
    Helps when there’s only a couple of thousand Charlton fans in the stadium! 
  • Pass completion percentages, lowest to highest (minimum 10 passes) plus accurate long balls/long ball attempts:

O'Connell 96.9% (63/65) (7/9)
    Lavelle 95.6% (43/45) (5/6)
    Dobson 93.9% (31/33) (5/5)
    Clare 90.7% (49/54) (5/6)
    Payne 90.0% (18/20) (1/1)
    Clayden 89.5% (34/38) (2/3)
    Gilbey 86.7% (26/30) (2/4)
    JFC 86.5% (32/37) (3/7)
    Henry 81.8% (9/11) (2/2)
    Morgan 81.8% (9/11) (3/5)
    Ness 75.0% (9/12) (0/1)
    DJ 73.9% (17/23) (1/3)