Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sheffield Wednesday vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 13th August 2022 @ 3pm | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2022
    We need to try and find a way to stop Barry Bannan dictating the game, although that’s easier said than done. I’m surprised that he’s been out of the Scotland squad since 2017.

I see that Michael Smith is out injured, although Gregory is expected to play.

We don’t see how any of our lads perform in training, but I like the idea of starting with Payne and DJ. Wednesday are a strong and forceful side and we have to stand up to them physically and then try and get our passing game going. The clever deployment of substitutes will, as ever, be important, particularly so given the predicted temperatures.

I strongly fancy Wednesday this season and will be well pleased if we can take something from the game. Whatever happens, I’m sure our level of performance will be vastly superior to our insipid showing up at Hillsborough back in February.
  • Options
    https://www.charltonafc.com/news/garner-we-go-there-full-confidence

Okay I was wrong about McGrandles... He is available tomorrow, thought you had to sit out a full week if you got subbed off for concussion, as thats what happened with George Lapslie a few years ago.

Rak-Sakyi has travelled, but has only been involved in one training session, so no guarantee he'll be involved
  • Options
    Hope McGrandles doesnt start. Before his concussion he was very very poor and Dobson showed he is miles ahead of him in that respect, it should be position to lose imo.
    Morgan started the Derby game in the holding role, McGrandles is really competing with Morgan as a box to box player.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Hope McGrandles doesnt start. Before his concussion he was very very poor and Dobson showed he is miles ahead of him in that respect, it should be position to lose imo.
    Morgan started the Derby game in the holding role, McGrandles is really competing with Morgan as a box to box player.
    And Morgan played deeper in the second half.  I think it's going to be incredibly hard to predict how our midfield will set up, even when we see the team.

I think we will play the team that started the second half against Derby.  Although he might go with DJ ahead of Kirk like he did at Accrington.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Well in fairness to Morgan, who has started well, he shouldnt start ahead of him either. Personally dont think he is nowhere near fit enough for his own game at the moment of box to box so could be a struggle to get back into the team.
  • Options
    I'm expecting a tough game between 2 decent sides

Not sure how we'll line up, but as we have another tough game on Tuesday (Plymouth) I can see Garner rotating his squad between the 2 games, especially in midfield and wide attacking area where we have plenty of options. Similarly I expect Inniss to start tomorrow and Lavelle on Tuesday.
  • Options
    I’m abroad on holiday and want to stream the Wednesday game, the website, no matter which link I use takes me to a page only offering streaming for the Plymouth and Gillingham matches.  

The club even emailed me a link and this also takes me to Plymouth / Gillingham games. Anyone else having this problem? Or could send me a link to just the Sheffield Wednesday match? Or is this game not available?

Any help appreciated.
  • Options
    anyone driving to Sheffield tonight or tomorrow, the traffic is seriously horrendous (how bad is that ?) on the approaches to Sheffield around the M! and the major A roads .. major traffic works are to blame .. the roads are jammed solid a t m
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    milo said:
    I’m abroad on holiday and want to stream the Wednesday game, the website, no matter which link I use takes me to a page only offering streaming for the Plymouth and Gillingham matches.  

The club even emailed me a link and this also takes me to Plymouth / Gillingham games. Anyone else having this problem? Or could send me a link to just the Sheffield Wednesday match? Or is this game not available?

Any help appreciated.
    Once u log in from abroad you will be able to see the game listed in available to order for international viewers mate. You cant see it from here as they know u are in the uk
  • Options
    Slowly this squad and style of play is coming together.

As the first half v Derby showed it's not completely there yet and whatever system a team plays there are 11 other players and another coach trying to undo you.

That said I think we can get a score draw at Hillsborough but whatever the result the season won't be over.

For me the two home games next week will tell us more about our season.

1 - 1 (Innis)
  • Options
    Michael Smith doubtful? 
  • Options
    Michael Smith doubtful? 
    Ruled out 
  • Options
    Give Mcgrandles a chance. Looked rusty for sure but hopefully will improve. Gonna win tomorrow and send us all into utter excitement. Sun and beer don't mix.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    KettsJohn said:
    Give Mcgrandles a chance. Looked rusty for sure but hopefully will improve. Gonna win tomorrow and send us all into utter excitement. Sun and beer don't mix.
    Indeed. This time last year Dobson was deemed as hopeless by many despite him being a seasoned league 1 performer with over 100 appearances, much like McGrandles.

That said, I don't think McGrandles should be starting yet given the performance levels of Dobson, Albie and Payne / Fraser so far and the horror show of Derby.
  • Options

As the first half v Derby showed it's not completely there yet and whatever system a team plays there are 11 other players and another coach trying to undo you.

That said I think we can get a score draw at Hillsborough but whatever the result the season won't be over.

1 - 1 (Innis)

I would very much take a point. Like the Derby game think it will be very tight and we cannot afford another first half like that.
  • Options
    There seems to be a quiet confidence coming out in the messages from the Manager. I really cant see us get anything from this game but if we can ? Well we are on our way 😉
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bannan likes a drink I think, which probably dictates which version turns up on matchday.

We blow so much smoke up our opposition. Am really glad our new Manager emphasises how well we are looking.
  • Options
    He does seem to leave the opposition to worry about us rather than us them which is great
  • Options
    Currently buzzing & feel the team cant do no wrong. Will out football the Massives & will come away with another clean sheet win.

0-2   Morgan & JRS. 
    Is this some sort of sick joke? 😉 

I think we will set up to win, but I’m not sure we will. We will lose games this season, and this feels like one of those that will just be a little to difficult. I’m hoping at the very least we will be competitive and not do a ‘Derby first half’.
  • Options
    Still.think EOC is a bit of a liability. For once there are goals throughout this team. If EOC IS picked I can see us letting a few in. I can also see us scoring. Albie & Stockley. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
  • Options

1 - 1 (Innis)
    ‘Slowly’ ?  

To me based on the match reports it’s quite quick.

Didn’t most fear a poorer start with players grappling  with familiarity and confidence in each other and the ‘system’?

There will be setbacks of course as no one wins every game. 

Until the transfer window closes and all players have been seen we won’t know if we need to over achieve or are well placed. 

Right now, this early, every point is a bonus whilst the league settles to a true indication of ability. Every chance tomorrow we can poach all 3 points whilst they like us reveal their true colours. 

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Winsome dryad Kirk, up against the biggest, baddest team of bastards in League One? I mean, maybe it'd work, but equally maybe he'll be reduced to a quivering, peripheral wreck. I'll trust Garner's judgement either way
    Agreed - I think it will be Payne on the right , CBT on the left and Fraser in midfield.  I would play the team on the preview , however , with DJ instead of Kirk
  • Options
    I'd take a draw at the favourites to be Champions all day long.
  • Options
    Strange start to the season. If Derby and Accrington had taken their chances we could be on nil points and the atmosphere would be very different. Points give confidence and that leads to more points. Very tough game and our recent results have not been good there. Would love a point but I think we may come unstuck. 1-0 to Wednesday.