Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Warning: Appliances Direct

Our washing machine gave up the ghost last week. It was 8 years old and my wife wanted a similar one so we ordered one from a company called Appliances Direct which was delivered yesterday. I was a bit concerened when I saw the delivery company was DX. We used them for a short time because they were shall we say, good value, but had to stop as they were too unreliable with about a 25% loss rate on parcels. But I thought, these might be different as they will be trained installers.

Oh dear, when they came, two eastern european blokes who spoke hardly any English, they did not seem to realise we had paid to have the machine installed. The leader blagged it and they removed the old washing machine. The should have secured the pipe upwards and the plug and didn't. They got the plug caught under the door, despite me warning them which they probably didn't understand. Then I said I would cut it for them but the leader came back and the machine tipped and water came out over the hall carpet. 

When they finally removed the old machine, the leader asked if I had pliers. I looked at the bolts he had to remove, a safety feature for transit of washing machines, and suggested it was a socket set not pliers he needed which I got for him. He said he had forgotten his tools! He asked me where the pipe went and I told him where he had removed the old one from!!! It was basically the same machine. I showed him. He gave me the bolts and left. The washing machine started but wouldn't spin and error lights lit up. It could be a fault with the machine but a friend who knows a bit about washing machines said they probably didn't remove all the transit bits. 

This is just a warning that even if you pay for installation and removal, Appliances Direct are likely to get people who know less than you about doing it. I think this is potentially dangerous as seriously, these two didn't have a clue. Don't use DX for anything by the way. 

Comments

• Carpetright are no better. The landing carpet didn't fit under the doorbars sufficiently and they made a 6 foot scratch along a newly painted bedroom wall.
    They came back and tried to stretch the carpet.
    It still wasn't fully under the door bar and the fitter was saying it was.
    We were getting nowhere, you can't discuss sensibly with someone lying to your face.
    Carpetright said take it up with the fitters as under their own (self employed) separate contract.
    Manager says talk to customer services, customer services say talk to the manager.
    They are now cutting new landing carpet and due to re fit.
    This is the short version.
    Also, their underlay and grippers are vastly over priced and I knocked them down by 30% before placing the order.
    Avoid.
  • Hi @MuttleyCAFC,
    Had the same near experience with John Lewis and a dishwasher. New Dishwasher fitted by 2 guys 
    one spoke english fairly well while the other one just nodded.
    "almost" ripped out old machine, fitted new, then the one that didn't speak english held his hand out for a tip. When removing the old dishwasher  chipped hall wall and door frame.
    Once left , the new machine was leaking at the rear had to take out and refit hose, route waste correctly.
    Contacted JL got the install money back and after i had sent photos of the damage got a £250 
    voucher. 

So a £450 dishwasher cost me £200, i still had to fit it myself and repair the digs and scratches.

I need a new washing machine but will have it delivered and either get a plumber to install or do it myself.

• Carpetright are no better. The landing carpet didn't fit under the doorbars sufficiently and they made a 6 foot scratch along a newly painted bedroom wall.
    We were getting nowhere, you can't discuss sensibly with someone lying to your face.
    Carpetright said take it up with the fitters as under their own (self employed) separate contract.
    Manager says talk to customer services, customer services say talk to the manager.
    Also, their underlay and grippers are vastly over priced and I knocked them down by 30% before placing the order.
    Avoid.
    PS I paid the fitters in cash before I saw the 6 foot scratch along the bedroom wall.
    It was the day after the record temperature and still tooo hot.
    I painted the scratch with what I thought was a matching paint, but now have a clear paint line in stead of a scratch. Any suggestions apart from repainting the whole room?
  • Our washing machine gave up the ghost last week. It was 8 years old and my wife wanted a similar one so we ordered one from a company called Appliances Direct which was delivered yesterday. I was a bit concerened when I saw the delivery company was DX. We used them for a short time because they were shall we say, good value, but had to stop as they were too unreliable with about a 25% loss rate on parcels. But I thought, these might be different as they will be trained installers.

Oh dear, when they came, two eastern european blokes who spoke hardly any English, they did not seem to realise we had paid to have the machine installed. The leader blagged it and they removed the old washing machine. The should have secured the pipe upwards and the plug and didn't. They got the plug caught under the door, despite me warning them which they probably didn't understand. Then I said I would cut it for them but the leader came back and the machine tipped and water came out over the hall carpet. 

When they finally removed the old machine, the leader asked if I had pliers. I looked at the bolts he had to remove, a safety feature for transit of washing machines, and suggested it was a socket set not pliers he needed which I got for him. He said he had forgotten his tools! He asked me where the pipe went and I told him where he had removed the old one from!!! It was basically the same machine. I showed him. He gave me the bolts and left. The washing machine started but wouldn't spin and error lights lit up. It could be a fault with the machine but a friend who knows a bit about washing machines said they probably didn't remove all the transit bits. 

This is just a warning that even if you pay for installation and removal, Appliances Direct are likely to get people who know less than you about doing it. I think this is potentially dangerous as seriously, these two didn't have a clue. Don't use DX for anything by the way. 
    You should contact AD and get a refund for the installation cost.
  • edited August 2022
    I would reccomend AO too but they didn't have an 8kg drum on this model, only 7kg. Also my wife wanted the same model and whilst it looks the same, it is a bit different so could have bought one from AO who have always been excellent :). Currys had it but it was out of stock.  I phoned them yesterday and they said they would send an installer tomorrow. I suspect they won't and I will have to chase. 

The first person I spoke to, at my expense at 13p an minute, said she would sort out an installer, then I got an e-mail telling me to contact the manufacturer, then I rang again and asked why they sent that and they said they would arrange an installer. They are a shower of proverbial and I suspect there is more crap to come.

Anyway, it is my problem but posted this to prevent this company being any of your problems in future.

• cafcfan said:
    Our washing machine gave up the ghost last week. It was 8 years old and my wife wanted a similar one so we ordered one from a company called Appliances Direct which was delivered yesterday. I was a bit concerened when I saw the delivery company was DX. We used them for a short time because they were shall we say, good value, but had to stop as they were too unreliable with about a 25% loss rate on parcels. But I thought, these might be different as they will be trained installers.

You should contact AD and get a refund for the installation cost.
    I will but I want the installer to come first have have the thing working.
    Avoid.
    PS I paid the fitters in cash before I saw the 6 foot scratch along the bedroom wall.
    I painted the scratch with what I thought was a matching paint, but now have a clear paint line in stead of a scratch. Any suggestions apart from repainting the whole room?
    Just repaint that wall corner to corner,you'll always get flashing when touching up.
    Avoid.
    Just repaint that wall corner to corner,you'll always get flashing when touching up.
    This, but it may end up looking different to other walls a little bit for a little while, as the paint is fresher than what's already painted. It doesn't matter if its a few days after painting or a few years, once the top coat has dried, touching up will always stand out a little
  • Sponsored links:

Avoid.
    This, but it may end up looking different to other walls a little bit for a little while, as the paint is fresher than what's already painted. It doesn't matter if its a few days after painting or a few years, once the top coat has dried, touching up will always stand out a little
    Are you a brother of the brush Kidbrooke?
  • I find with any of these kind of things, if you can find them, is use smaller, independent firms. 

We’ve had exceptional service from Nice Floor in Erith, Dunns in Bexleyheath for doors as two examples over the past six months.
  • I find it strange that these companies are not regulated more tightly. I mean untrained installers is potentially dangerous.
  • Talal said:
    AO have always been my go to for appliances, never had any problems. 
    Always use them. Great service.
    Avoid.
    The problem is it's a loft room and there are no corners as such, it's "rounded" and the walls and ceiling all kind of merge into one, with no obvious place where you could stop painting.
    Avoid.
    The problem is it's a loft room and there are no corners as such, it's "rounded" and the walls and ceiling all kind of merge into one, with no obvious place where you could stop painting.
    Its a quick wallop job then mate.
  • This was the scratch before I painted it & it looks no better. 
  • How the hell did they do that??
  • I reckon they've held the carpet up to cut it....muppets.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2022
    How the hell did they do that??
    Looks like the top of that old bed head (don't ask the wife likes it) scraped along the wall when they moved the bed. What's a quick wallop?

(Apologies to Muttley. I thought it best to put similar issues in the same thread rather than have half a dozen threads on different complaints. Sorry if a bad idea).

• Perfect height for a 1990's Changing Rooms dado rail!

😉
  • Re Paint...try and get the nearest match, you might get away with 1 coat.
  • WSS said:
    I find with any of these kind of things, if you can find them, is use smaller, independent firms. 

We’ve had exceptional service from Nice Floor in Erith, Dunns in Bexleyheath for doors as two examples over the past six months.
    Definitely. Aj Rogers in Bromley are always my go to for anything floor related. Obviously a bit more expensive but faultless. Would rather 5-10% more when it eliminates any hassle.
  • Had a similar experience with DX a few years ago who refused to bring the appliance inside the house and just left it outside. 
  • Used our local Euronics store for a new dishwasher recently. Excellent service, fitted machine perfectly, took away old one and all packaging. Competitive price too. Would definitely use again.
  • Used our local Euronics store for a new dishwasher recently. Excellent service, fitted machine perfectly, took away old one and all packaging. Competitive price too. Would definitely use again.
    Could be wrong but aren’t Euronics a whole bunch of independents that have formed a collective to compete with the big boys in terms of buying power and advertising ? Great idea.
  • another vote for AO
  • Talal said:
    AO have always been my go to for appliances, never had any problems. 

Snap.
  • Just seen this thread and coincidentally my washing machine arrived this morning. 
    Went with AO.

They are good but go way overboard with trying to sell their insurance cover.
    Must have had ten calls to my mobile.