Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Warning: Appliances Direct

Comments

• Options
    AO are decent.  They delivered our new tumble dryer but couldnt install it because our old one was hard wired and they wasnt licences for the install.  Installation refund came through within 5 mins of the engineer leaving.  We had to get our sparky out and they done it for us.
  • Options
    Appliances Direct… BMWs… they’re both bad. But which is worse? There’s only one way to find out…

• Options

Perfect height for a 1990's Changing Rooms dado rail!

😉

Depending on the height of the scratch I was going to suggest just repainting the top or bottom half of the wall, and using a narrow border roll of wallpaper to split the two. However at that height it might just be possible to not bother repainting at all, and just slap the border roll on top to hide it instead :)
  • Options
    Our washing machine gave up the ghost last week. It was 8 years old and my wife wanted a similar one so we ordered one from a company called Appliances Direct which was delivered yesterday. I was a bit concerened when I saw the delivery company was DX. We used them for a short time because they were shall we say, good value, but had to stop as they were too unreliable with about a 25% loss rate on parcels. But I thought, these might be different as they will be trained installers.

Oh dear, when they came, two eastern european blokes who spoke hardly any English, they did not seem to realise we had paid to have the machine installed. The leader blagged it and they removed the old washing machine. The should have secured the pipe upwards and the plug and didn't. They got the plug caught under the door, despite me warning them which they probably didn't understand. Then I said I would cut it for them but the leader came back and the machine tipped and water came out over the hall carpet. 

When they finally removed the old machine, the leader asked if I had pliers. I looked at the bolts he had to remove, a safety feature for transit of washing machines, and suggested it was a socket set not pliers he needed which I got for him. He said he had forgotten his tools! He asked me where the pipe went and I told him where he had removed the old one from!!! It was basically the same machine. I showed him. He gave me the bolts and left. The washing machine started but wouldn't spin and error lights lit up. It could be a fault with the machine but a friend who knows a bit about washing machines said they probably didn't remove all the transit bits. 

This is just a warning that even if you pay for installation and removal, Appliances Direct are likely to get people who know less than you about doing it. I think this is potentially dangerous as seriously, these two didn't have a clue. Don't use DX for anything by the way. 
    Sorry, but why didn’t you jog the pricks on?
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    ROTW said:
    Our washing machine gave up the ghost last week. It was 8 years old and my wife wanted a similar one so we ordered one from a company called Appliances Direct which was delivered yesterday. I was a bit concerened when I saw the delivery company was DX. We used them for a short time because they were shall we say, good value, but had to stop as they were too unreliable with about a 25% loss rate on parcels. But I thought, these might be different as they will be trained installers.

Oh dear, when they came, two eastern european blokes who spoke hardly any English, they did not seem to realise we had paid to have the machine installed. The leader blagged it and they removed the old washing machine. The should have secured the pipe upwards and the plug and didn't. They got the plug caught under the door, despite me warning them which they probably didn't understand. Then I said I would cut it for them but the leader came back and the machine tipped and water came out over the hall carpet. 

When they finally removed the old machine, the leader asked if I had pliers. I looked at the bolts he had to remove, a safety feature for transit of washing machines, and suggested it was a socket set not pliers he needed which I got for him. He said he had forgotten his tools! He asked me where the pipe went and I told him where he had removed the old one from!!! It was basically the same machine. I showed him. He gave me the bolts and left. The washing machine started but wouldn't spin and error lights lit up. It could be a fault with the machine but a friend who knows a bit about washing machines said they probably didn't remove all the transit bits. 

This is just a warning that even if you pay for installation and removal, Appliances Direct are likely to get people who know less than you about doing it. I think this is potentially dangerous as seriously, these two didn't have a clue. Don't use DX for anything by the way. 
    Sorry, but why didn’t you jog the pricks on?
    To be honest, I was glad to get them out of the house and the washing machine was apparently working, it took until it got onto the next cycle to fail.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    AO have always been my go to for appliances, never had any problems. 
    This.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    My mum got a massive crack on her wall after a dodgy builder 'fixed' her skirting. I tried, on the off chance, Pollyfilla ceiling crack filling paint. Then I went over it with emulsion. Surprisingly it did a decent job as the crack was too thin to fill in the normal way.
  • Options
    Wellingtons in Erith and Bromley are fantastic. Worth the extra couple of quid for the service.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have to say that I’ve found this thread to be very entertaining.
    But then again it’s been somewhat quiet on the south coast of late.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Had to stay in for engineer to come today. Bloke that came said he was just an installer and couldn't even look at the issue. They are sending somebody else tomorrow. I think the original installers may have not removed a drain plug but am loathe to try to do it myself as it is a new machine.

Their first suggested solution was to e-mail the manufacturer. I told them there is a good chance it has been installed incorrectly so that is not acceptable as I get caught in a fault game. Appliances Direct. Stay well clear. Hopefully it will be sorted tomorrow though.
  • Options
    My mum got a massive crack on her wall after a dodgy builder 'fixed' her skirting. I tried, on the off chance, Pollyfilla ceiling crack filling paint. Then I went over it with emulsion. Surprisingly it did a decent job as the crack was too thin to fill in the normal way.
    Sorry but I had to stop reading after the first six words. I've only just recovered.
  • Options
    I would reccomend AO too but they didn't have an 8kg drum on this model, only 7kg. Also my wife wanted the same model and whilst it looks the same, it is a bit different so could have bought one from AO who have always been excellent :). Currys had it but it was out of stock.  I phoned them yesterday and they said they would send an installer tomorrow. I suspect they won't and I will have to chase. 

The first person I spoke to, at my expense at 13p an minute, said she would sort out an installer, then I got an e-mail telling me to contact the manufacturer, then I rang again and asked why they sent that and they said they would arrange an installer. They are a shower of proverbial and I suspect there is more crap to come.

Anyway, it is my problem but posted this to prevent this company being any of your problems in future.

Few weeks ago AO delivered and connected new washing machine, a woman and a man.  The woman did all the lifting and the bloke did the connecting.  Only after they left and opened the booklet realised it wasn't the model ordered, but was a higher spec so just a bit bemused.  Thirty  minutes later a knock at the door and the delivery couple sheepishly admitted they had delivered someone else's machine and would need to swap them round.  Laughed it off and they took away the machine and returned 30 minutes later with our machine.  Connected it up and felt sorry for them as they were worried about a negative feedback.  I gave them an OK score and didn't mention the slip up.  Then we started the machine up.  Water flooded all over the floor.  The connection was loose.

• Options
    I would reccomend AO too but they didn't have an 8kg drum on this model, only 7kg. Also my wife wanted the same model and whilst it looks the same, it is a bit different so could have bought one from AO who have always been excellent :). Currys had it but it was out of stock.  I phoned them yesterday and they said they would send an installer tomorrow. I suspect they won't and I will have to chase. 

The first person I spoke to, at my expense at 13p an minute, said she would sort out an installer, then I got an e-mail telling me to contact the manufacturer, then I rang again and asked why they sent that and they said they would arrange an installer. They are a shower of proverbial and I suspect there is more crap to come.

Anyway, it is my problem but posted this to prevent this company being any of your problems in future.

Few weeks ago AO delivered and connected new washing machine, a woman and a man.  The woman did all the lifting and the bloke did the connecting.  Only after they left and opened the booklet realised it wasn't the model ordered, but was a higher spec so just a bit bemused.  Thirty  minutes later a knock at the door and the delivery couple sheepishly admitted they had delivered someone else's machine and would need to swap them round.  Laughed it off and they took away the machine and returned 30 minutes later with our machine.  Connected it up and felt sorry for them as they were worried about a negative feedback.  I gave them an OK score and didn't mention the slip up.  Then we started the machine up.  Water flooded all over the floor.  The connection was loose.

I think I am too old for this World. It has become shit hasn't it?
  • Options
    I'm not trying to be rude, but fitting a washing machine/dishwasher is so simple I'd much rather do it myself (YouTube) than risk someone who doesn't give a shit messing it up. 

Literally a 2 minute job, a lot of these people just don't care or pay any attention 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    I'm not trying to be rude, but fitting a washing machine/dishwasher is so simple I'd much rather do it myself (YouTube) than risk someone who doesn't give a shit messing it up. 

Literally a 2 minute job, a lot of these people just don't care or pay any attention 
    Agree a trained monkey can do it. Comes as a "free' service when you pay for them to take the old machine way.  Could have said no I'll do it myself but no - what could possible go wrong! 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I wanted to do it myself but my wife didn't want me to. Yes, great to have that vote of confidence in your DIY skills I know. Now I don't want to touch it because it is new. Maybe she will think differently in future.

These clowns didn't even remove all the packaging and left some of it on our neighbour's door step!
  • Options
    I would request a replacement as it is faulty and then install myself
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I think I am too old for this World. It has become shit hasn't it?
    I thought you said you were 58?
    You said you're not depressed.
  • Options
    I'm 58 and happily retired. Doesn't mean I can't see the shit all around me and things getting worse for people. A lot of companies nowadays just want to screw their customers.
  • Options
    although I notice they have cut down on the products to choose from.
    I was talking to the manager there about this. More me just being nosey than anything. He told me he stocks certain brands as they are the top brands that people want (Meile etc) that are great quality and don't cause him hassle (but often has a long wait time for stock) but then has cheaper brands that are good, reliable and available for quick delivery.
    He was saying that some brands have a massive mark up but arent worth the hassle they cause with returns etc
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I'm 58 and happily retired. Doesn't mean I can't see the shit all around me and things getting worse for people. A lot of companies nowadays just want to screw their customers.
    Have you got a list by any chance (asking for a friend)
    Most of them. You try getting hold of them for starters. We have unusually high call levels blah, blah, blah. That can be Virgin, E-on, British Airways whoever you ring. The thing is, they always have unusually high call levels. You might think they would see the need to employ some more staff. :) 

And when you do get through....well we know what the norm is.
  • Options
    Carpetright are no better. The landing carpet didn't fit under the doorbars sufficiently and they made a 6 foot scratch along a newly painted bedroom wall.
    They came back and tried to stretch the carpet.
    It still wasn't fully under the door bar and the fitter was saying it was.
    We were getting nowhere, you can't discuss sensibly with someone lying to your face.
    Carpetright said take it up with the fitters as under their own (self employed) separate contract.
    Manager says talk to customer services, customer services say talk to the manager.
    They are now cutting new landing carpet and due to re fit.
    This is the short version.
    Also, their underlay and grippers are vastly over priced and I knocked them down by 30% before placing the order.
    Avoid.

Always pay with a credit card and get your money back from the cc company when it goes t!ts up.
  • Options
    Carpetright are no better. The landing carpet didn't fit under the doorbars sufficiently and they made a 6 foot scratch along a newly painted bedroom wall.
    They came back and tried to stretch the carpet.
    It still wasn't fully under the door bar and the fitter was saying it was.
    We were getting nowhere, you can't discuss sensibly with someone lying to your face.
    Carpetright said take it up with the fitters as under their own (self employed) separate contract.
    Manager says talk to customer services, customer services say talk to the manager.
    They are now cutting new landing carpet and due to re fit.
    This is the short version.
    Also, their underlay and grippers are vastly over priced and I knocked them down by 30% before placing the order.
    Avoid.

Always pay with a credit card and get your money back from the cc company when it goes t!ts up.
    I paid Carpetright by CC and the payment is presently suspended.
    As I said the fitters come under a separate contract and I had to pay them cash or credit their a/c unfortunately.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Bloke came today, said installers were a bunch of cowboys and said they hadn't done the hose properly. Put it on drain and spin and said leave it and it will work now. Less than 5 minutes after he left it all started lighting up with errors again. Called them and said I wanted a full refund. They said the would give a refund for machine and installation but not scrap of old machine. I said fine, I was going to sue you for the damage to my hall carpet for that anyway. They agreed to refund that if I left it there. I insisted they gave me all this in writing.

I will also get every detail possible from the collection driver before he leaves as the refund starts when they get it. He isn't going to enjoy the nth degree he is going to get but if they lose it it is hassle. His van is going to be photographed with washing machine in it :)

Hi,

We would like to let you know that we will collect the faulty unit on 19/8  Friday. To summarize all that we agreed for today , we agreed that you will get a full refund once the item is back to us and that includes the installation refund and the scrap refund. Also we are good for you to drain the washing before it gets collected . Please keep your lines open for further collection updates . Thank you .

Kind Regards
    Gladys
    Customer Services Team

Who is called Gladys anymore FFS!
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Appliance Direct agreed refund but might not be in bank until Friday. We got a new one from a local Euronics shop which I installed and is working fine. I might be able to persuade my wife to let me move an electrical socket so we can have room for a bigger fridge now. It sticks out and restricts the width. She doesn't realise that anybody can plumb in a washing machine.