Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Man Utd v Charlton 1986

Still ranks as one of my favourite ever matches, that last half hour seemed like hours 🤣😂

Comments

• Options
    Ferryman said:
    Remember that result well - but that's actually the first time I've seen the goal! Just a 26 year wait.
    36?
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    Remember that result well - but that's actually the first time I've seen the goal! Just a 26 year wait.
    It was the last time we beat them at Old Trafford, 36 six years ago and pretty much the same time I started attending regularly with my dad.
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    Me too. I was on holiday with my girlfriend & her parents at the time & never seen the goal before.
  • Options
    I was 10 and that was my first away game I think.  We had been on holiday in Scotland and by pure chance (!?) were on our way home that day so stopped off.  Three of us in the new family stand which was for Man UTD fans.
    We scored, me and my brother jumped up, everyone looked around and my Dad pulled us both back down! Great memories.
  • Options
    The main reason I remember the game, apart from for the win, was that I had the pleasure of congratulating Gritty in a certain nightclub in Bromley that night!
  • Options
    What a day that was, although it wasn't like beating the Man Utd of recent times. 
  • Options
    Remember it well , Ron Atkinson sacked after the game.
  • Options
    Brilliant day. Went on the coach. Felt like we'd won the cup!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How noisy were we? You'd think it was a home goal. 
  • Options
    Top flight football in the 80’s was worse than L1 football is today. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    They show so much of the build-up on that clip. Not exactly Garnerball. Great terraces and atmosphere though.
  • Options
    The whole game is on the Charlton Museum site on Youtube.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    The game was much better then though, less money and more honesty 👍
  • Options
    We’d just got whooped 4-0 at Forest midweek , i wasn’t too optimistic of our chances !!
    as a 16 year old kid it felt like a miracle and a dream and something that took forever to happen but we were there mixing it with the big boys , loved those away days and I would have been sober .
    My poor kids won’t ever experience that , with the exuberance and innocence and miracle like feelings as a kid cos we’re gonna be stuck below the top flight for a good many years yet .
  • Options
    Never forget that day. Took the Mrs shopping in Falkirk and went to see the mighty Cowdenbeath at East Stirling, asked a guy who i saw had a radio and asked how Charlton were doing, he said 0-0. About 10 minutes later he tapped me on the back and said Charlton are winning 1-0.

Cowden also won 1-0, and a great evening followed.
  • Options
    Great clip. Not sure I’ve ever seen the goal before either. Ground like a morgue bar our lot (was the crowd less than 30k?), did we not have a sponsor on the shirts? Surprised how muted the players celebrations were!
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    We’d just got whooped 4-0 at Forest midweek , i wasn’t too optimistic of our chances !!
    as a 16 year old kid it felt like a miracle and a dream and something that took forever to happen but we were there mixing it with the big boys , loved those away days and I would have been sober .
    My poor kids won’t ever experience that , with the exuberance and innocence and miracle like feelings as a kid cos we’re gonna be stuck below the top flight for a good many years yet .
    Went to the Forest game as well....that was grim!! So this made it even better as didn't think we'd have a chance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great clip. Not sure I’ve ever seen the goal before either. Ground like a morgue bar our lot (was the crowd less than 30k?), did we not have a sponsor on the shirts? Surprised how muted the players celebrations were!
    32k ish iirc
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I was there - great day - love that kit - Mark Stuart underrated player for us - a bit lightweight, but always put a shift in
  • Options
    32k ish iirc
  • Options
    Just for a laugh, I started singing Atkinson out. Before long it spread from our fans right around the ground. Sorry Ron! 
  • Options
    He wasn't sacked until a few weeks later, so we can't take credit for starting the Fergie era!
  • Options
    Paddy7 said:
    Just for a laugh, I started singing Atkinson out. Before long it spread from our fans right around the ground. Sorry Ron! 
    The mascot walking around the pitch before the match got the chants of "are you Atkinson in disguise"
  • Options
    Missed the coach and ended up at Plough Lane watching Wimbledon v Leicester. I think !
  • Options
    He wasn't sacked until a few weeks later, so we can't take credit for starting the Fergie era!
    I must be getting old , I could have sworn it was next day.
  • Options
    Same here, they'd lost to 3 London clubs in the 1st week of the season and they sacked him after our game.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Same here, they'd lost to 3 London clubs in the 1st week of the season and they sacked him after our game.
    Our win was in August - he was sacked in November 

From memory Keegan’s last game as manager of Newcastle was against us ??

Edit - I am correct, but in Keegan’s first stint at Newcastle - it was 2 days after they drew 1-1 with us in the FA Cup at The Valley