Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Man Utd v Charlton 1986

Comments

• Options
    Remember it well , Ron Atkinson sacked after the game.
    He wasn't sacked until a few weeks later, so we can't take credit for starting the Fergie era!
    I must be getting old , I could have sworn it was next day.
    Same here, they'd lost to 3 London clubs in the 1st week of the season and they sacked him after our game.
    Our win was in August - he was sacked in November 

From memory Keegan’s last game as manager of Newcastle was against us ??
    Yeah, just looked it up myself. Honestly thought he was sacked after our game. 
  • Options
    It could have been 8-0 at Forest the Tuesday before. Absolute disbelief when we won. After 17 years of rubbish, still couldn't believe we were in the too Division, probably even more surreal as we were playing at Palace too.

Main memory is us all wearing the red tea cosy cafc hats and the constant yippee i o chants all game and on the long coach journey home. A great day. Also remember a 0-0 there on new year's day in 1988 and a 3-0 drubbing when reject Ralph Milne scored.
  • Options
    It could have been 8-0 at Forest the Tuesday before. Absolute disbelief when we won. After 17 years of rubbish, still couldn't believe we were in the too Division, probably even more surreal as we were playing at Palace too.

Main memory is us all wearing the red tea cosy cafc hats and the constant yippee i o chants all game and on the long coach journey home. A great day. Also remember a 0-0 there on new year's day in 1988 and a 3-0 drubbing when reject Ralph Milne scored.
    Your namesake produced probably the finest goalkeeping display I've seen at the 0 0 draw at Old Trafford
  • Options

Your namesake produced probably the finest goalkeeping display I've seen at the 0 0 draw at Old Trafford
    That Bob Bolder Man Utd display was definitely up there with the Nicky Johns Chelsea display. He kept at at least two thunderous Bryan Robson headers that looked certain goals plus a load more. 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

That Bob Bolder Man Utd display was definitely up there with the Nicky Johns Chelsea display. He kept at at least two thunderous Bryan Robson headers that looked certain goals plus a load more. 
    Never forget Johns at Plymouth in FA Cup 5rd round 1981. Still the best and I saw all 3 matches mentioned.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Was stood in the paddock (opposite side to the camera's) with a couple of United fans I knew at the time. It was just after a documentary about West Ham's ICF and from what I heard the home fans wasnt too pleased with cockney's that day. I guess that was before most of their fans were cockney's themselves ;). I kept my head down that day 
  • Options
    How many did we have up there for this?
  • Options
    Maybe 800-1,000? Slightly hard for me to judge because I was in the Man Utd seats behind the away terrace but it didn't appear packed and was quite a small enclosure. Plus we didn't take anything like the numbers away then, as we have done in recent years. There were times at Palace, QPR and Fulham when we might have had less than 1,000. 
  • Options
    About 8,000 , judging by all the people on this thread who reckon they were there!
  • Options
    Biggest game I missed brother got married that day really p!!!!!ed me off
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you watch the match back you will see why Steve Gritt is a legend.
  • Options
    He wasn't sacked until a few weeks later, so we can't take credit for starting the Fergie era!
    Same here, they'd lost to 3 London clubs in the 1st week of the season and they sacked him after our game.

• Options

Arsenal,West Ham and Charlton beat Utd in the first 3 games. Sacked after our game is how I remember it also.

Forest in the rain then Utd 29years we had been waiting for Top flight football to return.
    That was some of the best times watching charlton as all fans were trying hard to get the club back to the Valley during that division one run of four years. Of course it took another 30 months more , 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    About 8,000 , judging by all the people on this thread who reckon they were there!
    LOL, we barely got that for home games! Probably a bit over 1,000 although I couldn't swear to it.

After we scored we all expected an onslaught but United just sort of fizzled out and it was fairly comfortable in the end. It was towards the end of Atkinsons reign, and probably one if the lesser United teams but still, winning up there was something I never expected to see. 

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    Ferryman said:
    Remember that result well - but that's actually the first time I've seen the goal! Just a 26 year wait.
    36?
    Gulp!
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I was there too! Great day, goal,scored at the home fans end so this is the first time I have really seen it.

Bumped into a guy called Paul Hines who I had worked with C&A Lewisham, last time I ever saw him!

Didn't we play Nottingham Forest mid week previous week and lose 4 .. 0
  • Options
    So effectively Charlton are responsible for Big Ron's sacking and the catalyst for the subsequent Ferguson dynasty.

They should loan us Ronaldo as a thank you. Would be good competition for young Kirk.
  • Options
    So effectively Charlton are responsible for Big Ron's sacking and the catalyst for the subsequent Ferguson dynasty.

They should loan us Ronaldo as a thank you. Would be good competition for young Kirk.
    We were after Ronaldo (and Quaresma) at one stage. 

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

We were after Ronaldo (and Quaresma) at one stage. 

Just where did it all go wrong 😭😭
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    750ish
    We had a small part of the terrace and there was plenty of room
    This was before football became trendy.
  • Options
    And I was there.
  • Options
    Loved that team - 

My first ever game was the playoffs first leg against Ipswich at the end of that season. 

Fantastic times. 

• Options
    Had a arranged to meet up with friends in Liverpool for a long weekend. My Scouse mate got tickets but unfortunately we were sat amongst some real Gorrila type Mancs.... my mate whispered as we sat down, down open your mouth or we're going to get done. Was sat not far from the family area and someone I knew was in there with his kids.., I just sat praying he didn't see me in amongst the Mancs. The ground was pretty impressive for that time period... also went to the 10,000 Charlton at Old Trafford cup game. 
  • Options
    750ish

I was standing right at the back of the terrace, I don't recall there being a lot of space at the back but my memory isn't was it was.
    I'm sure I remember a lot more room on the terrace at the Forest game, first time I saw Nigel Clough play, he looked a level above everyone else, think he may have scored two of the four.

• Options
    750ish

I was standing right at the back of the terrace, I don't recall there being a lot of space at the back but my memory isn't was it was.
    I'm sure I remember a lot more room on the terrace at the Forest game, first time I saw Nigel Clough play, he looked a level above everyone else, think he may have scored two of the four.

You’re right , I must have been thinking of the fancy dress /relegation/ last  game of the season , when we were singing to the Manc’s they’re gonna win the cup (they had palace in the FA Cup Final the week after )

looking at video looks over a thousand in the two pens 

didn’t remember that it was Nicky Johns in goal for this fixture .

• Options
    What a day that was, although it wasn't like beating the Man Utd of recent times. 
    No, it was much harder in those days.
  • Options
    I remember the result well, looking at the Sunday paper and not being able to believe my eyes.  I'd thought of going to the game and then decided not to, 'knowing' we didn't have a chance.
  • Options
    Great day out, the kits that season were fantastic, the Tuesday prior to that we were thumped 4~0 at Forest