Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cost of living crisis

Comments

• Options
    So all our water bills are going up for the next 100 years to pay for the scandal of water companies failing to do what they were supposed to do whilst last year alone paying their shareholders £1.4 billion in dividends. I’m absolutely confident the government won’t do anything to force these companies to work quicker or force them to reduce dividends until the job is done but I want to know why and are we being mugged off yet again.
    Privatisation is what's needed 
    I.4 billion in dividends while pumping millions of gallons of shit in our waterways is a fucking disgrace. 
    Couldn’t have put it better myself. 
  • Options
    I think I might empty a bucket of sewage into Thames Water's hq then charge them £200 for mopping it up.
  • Options
    Water companies absolutely taking the piss. Feargal Sharkey has it right.

The French would be rioting.

Makes me wonder at what point the general public can tell them to do one, we’re not paying.

Absolutely sick to death of this country.
  • Options
    It's going to cost £1.75 per week.
    Personally I'm more than happy to pay that if it keeps our rivers clean.
  • Options
    So all our water bills are going up for the next 100 years to pay for the scandal of water companies failing to do what they were supposed to do whilst last year alone paying their shareholders £1.4 billion in dividends. I’m absolutely confident the government won’t do anything to force these companies to work quicker or force them to reduce dividends until the job is done but I want to know why and are we being mugged off yet again.
    Privatisation is what's needed 
    I.4 billion in dividends while pumping millions of gallons of shit in our waterways is a fucking disgrace. 
    Did you mean nationalisation?
    Yes
    Having a senior moment 
  • Options
    Macronate said:

Makes me wonder at what point the general public can tell them to do one, we’re not paying.

The irony is a lot of our water companies are owned by the French 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    In principal yes, me too. But the point is water companies are yet another of our privatised utilities that do are making record profits whilst offering worse and worse services. Water is largely unique in that there is no competition at all so even less incentive to give a good service. These costs should have been paid out of profits before dividends rather than passed on to the consumer. In fact if they invested even a small proportion of their profits each year since privatisation into the infrastructure this would never have happened. This is the result of aggressive cost cutting in the pursuit of profits and now the general public are being forced to bail them out.

I think the public, or rather the public purse should bail them out. Relieve them of their private monopolies and take water (the primary substance on the planet) back into public ownership.
    Couldn't agree more. My point is that it shouldn't have been allowed to happen in the first place. But even with privatisation proper regulation should have prevented this.
  • Options
    Macronate said:

The irony is a lot of our water companies are owned by the French 
    No they're not. Not a single UK water company is owned by a french company or organisation. You may be getting mixed up with electricity companies. 
  • Options
    Think the Dartford Crossing was the start of this big piss take.
  • Options
    In principal yes, me too. But the point is water companies are yet another of our privatised utilities that do are making record profits whilst offering worse and worse services. Water is largely unique in that there is no competition at all so even less incentive to give a good service. These costs should have been paid out of profits before dividends rather than passed on to the consumer. In fact if they invested even a small proportion of their profits each year since privatisation into the infrastructure this would never have happened. This is the result of aggressive cost cutting in the pursuit of profits and now the general public are being forced to bail them out.
    And how many other industries does this apply to?  Labour are too meek (or worried about putting off swing voters) to call for re-nationalisation of water (and potentially energy, and trains)?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    And how many other industries does this apply to?  Labour are too meek (or worried about putting off swing voters) to call for re-nationalisation of water (and potentially energy, and trains)?
    I certainly think Starmer is missing an opportunity here if he doesn’t condemn the latest proposals and threaten if in government to force through changes by means of severe fines and penalties on the water companies. That’s stopping short of re nationalisation but I think a tough line would accord with most of us paying water bills and feeling aggrieved by what’s happening and the proposed solution. 
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65655866

Energy bills set to finally fall
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

I think the public, or rather the public purse should bail them out. Relieve them of their private monopolies and take water (the primary substance on the planet) back into public ownership.
    Couldn't agree more. My point is that it shouldn't have been allowed to happen in the first place. But even with privatisation proper regulation should have prevented this.
    The other reason it shouldn't have been allowed to happen is that they sold the thing we owned in the first place back to us!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Energy bills to fall under new price cap

Energy bills will fall to £2,074 a year for the typical household from July, under the new price cap announced by the regulator Ofgem.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/business-65699507

• Options
    For anyone who's interested, bracketed was the rounded current rate, standing charge remains the same I believe. This is for paying by DD and UK average.

Electricity
    £0.30 per KWh (0.33)
    Daily standing charge: £0.53

Gas
    £0.08 per KWh (0.10)
    Daily standing charge £0.29
  • Options
    Cost of diesel has dropped crazily over the last week or so

132.9 @ Tesco Gillingham... 138.9 @ Pepperhill Sainsburys

Its cheaper than Unleaded all of a sudden
  • Options
    clive said:

Energy bills to fall under new price cap

Energy bills will fall to £2,074 a year for the typical household from July, under the new price cap announced by the regulator Ofgem.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/business-65699507

Ignoring the typical household twoddle, it's about a 17% drop in general prices.
  • Options
    Likely to drop further still in October so don’t be rushing to fix just yet.
  • Options
    Got to fix ours in January, anyone know if there’s any more expected price drops between October and January, we normally fix for the maximum period, so also wondering if that wise or perhaps we should go the shorter term route (mind you might be an impossible question to answer yet).
  • Options
    Got to fix ours in January, anyone know if there’s any more expected price drops between October and January, we normally fix for the maximum period, so also wondering if that wise or perhaps we should go the shorter term route (mind you might be an impossible question to answer yet).

Being reported that another small drop in October and then perhaps a slight rise in January. October will be the time to look at fixing I would think.
  • Options
    Thanks Bob.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Being reported that another small drop in October and then perhaps a slight rise in January. October will be the time to look at fixing I would think.
    I heard that too but I did wonder if fixing in October (my deal fixed deal runs out on31st August) might mean missing out on reductions in both April and July ? Hard to know what to do. I don’t want to fix in if there are further drops next year ?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

I heard that too but I did wonder if fixing in October (my deal fixed deal runs out on31st August) might mean missing out on reductions in both April and July ? Hard to know what to do. I don’t want to fix in if there are further drops next year ?
    Do a one year fix if available.