Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cost of living crisis

Comments

• Options
    don't forget to read your meters (Gas and electric) today as price drops tomorrow.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    don't forget to read your meters (Gas and electric) today as price drops tomorrow.
    Thanks for the reminder, just done mine.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Still waiting in the queue on the Scottish Power website!!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    One of the benefits of a smart meter.
  • Options

Energy industry consultancy Cornwall Insight said it thinks the price cap on energy bills will fall to £1,978.33 from October from July's £2,074, but rise again from January to £2,004.40, based on Ofgem's current measures. 

However, the regulator is adjusting its definition of the average household's consumption from October, down from the current 2,900 kWh a year for electricity to 2,700 kWh, and from 12,000 kWh for gas to 11,500 kWh, to reflect consumers using less energy to cut costs in the face of high prices. 

Based on Ofgem's adjusted definitions of average usage, Cornwall Insight has forecast that the regulator will announce price caps of £1,871 a year from October and £1,900 from January. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12249949/Energy-boss-warns-UK-households-against-complacency-falling-gas-electricity-prices.html

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Took me a few attempts to get into the EDF site.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Ie do readings today, but enter them tomorrow RL?
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Ie do readings today, but enter them tomorrow RL?
    Either today or tomorrow will be fine I'm sure.
  • Options
    clive said:

Energy industry consultancy Cornwall Insight said it thinks the price cap on energy bills will fall to £1,978.33 from October from July's £2,074, but rise again from January to £2,004.40, based on Ofgem's current measures. 

However, the regulator is adjusting its definition of the average household's consumption from October, down from the current 2,900 kWh a year for electricity to 2,700 kWh, and from 12,000 kWh for gas to 11,500 kWh, to reflect consumers using less energy to cut costs in the face of high prices. 

Based on Ofgem's adjusted definitions of average usage, Cornwall Insight has forecast that the regulator will announce price caps of £1,871 a year from October and £1,900 from January. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12249949/Energy-boss-warns-UK-households-against-complacency-falling-gas-electricity-prices.html

Moving the goalposts, the regulator is acting for the energy providers not the consumer, despicable action by them.
  • Options
    clive said:

Moving the goalposts, the regulator is acting for the energy providers not the consumer, despicable action by them.
    Does seem that way. I’d have thought the average should be calculated on something like a 3 year rolling average to smooth out harsh/mild winters let alone conscious need to use less due to cost. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Our 2 year fixed rate for gas/electricity came to an end yesterday. The smart meter is reading that we have already spent more today, than we did for the whole of yesterday. The standing charge increase is ridiculous.
  • Options

Supermarkets and other fuel retailers will be forced to publish live prices under a new scheme aimed at stopping them overcharging, the government says.

It comes after Britons were found to have paid an extra 6p per litre for fuel at supermarkets last year as weak competition let them charge more.

Under the scheme drivers will be able to compare up-to-date prices online so they can find the cheapest option.

Driving groups say the idea, which is used elsewhere in Europe, is overdue.

Energy Security Secretary Grant Shapps said it would change the law to force retailers to share this information.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66085232

• Options
    Not sure if anyone is interested or if it's been mentioned on this thread before but the Too good to go app is a really good way of grabbing some food that would otherwise be wasted by restaurants and supermarkets.

https://www.toogoodtogo.com/en-gb

I've used it a few times for breakfast when I'm working in the city. For instance I got a takeaway fry up from the Regency hotel near Blackfriars for around £4. They usually charge £20!

Obviously it can be a bit hit and miss with what you get but I've always done alright when I've used it.
    I hear some of the supermarkets can be very generous with their mystery bags but having not used it for that, I can't say for sure.

• Options
    edited April 27
    The petrol retailers, need a swift kick where it hurts! They are vultures and the sooner they are brought to count, which should result in fuel prices coming down! Government don't give 2 flying you f***!
    Having them publish prices on line will make them more competitive! 
    One of the worst culprits is Morrisons in Maidstone in particular who will be 1p cheaper than the Esso 500 yards up the road, yet Asda and the Tescos of this world are a bit more competitive!
    The profits being recorded are mouth watering for the investors, sadly the rich will be getting richer!!!
  • Options
    clive said:

Supermarkets and other fuel retailers will be forced to publish live prices under a new scheme aimed at stopping them overcharging, the government says.

It comes after Britons were found to have paid an extra 6p per litre for fuel at supermarkets last year as weak competition let them charge more.

Under the scheme drivers will be able to compare up-to-date prices online so they can find the cheapest option.

Driving groups say the idea, which is used elsewhere in Europe, is overdue.

Energy Security Secretary Grant Shapps said it would change the law to force retailers to share this information.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66085232

Is there any sign this is actually going to happen?
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    Tell me about it. Went to put air in my tyres and it used to cost 50p.
    Now it’s a pound.
    Talk about inflation.
    Not so long ago was a free facility offered at petrol stations.
  • Options
    I bought a can of Sure Antiperspirant from Tesco a month ago and it cost £2.50, now it is on sale at £3.60. Even though it was reduced to £2.50 for Clubcard holders and the normal price was £2.95, an increase of 22.03% cannot be justified.
  • Options
    I bought a can of Sure Antiperspirant from Tesco a month ago and it cost £2.50, now it is on sale at £3.60. Even though it was reduced to £2.50 for Clubcard holders and the normal price was £2.95, an increase of 22.03% cannot be justified.
    Suspect that example is far more about getting customers to sign up and use the loyalty card because of the MI and cross sale opportunities. 
  • Options
    Bars of Dove soap have been reduced in size from 100g to 90g....robbing bastards.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Suspect that example is far more about getting customers to sign up and use the loyalty card because of the MI and cross sale opportunities. 
    The price without a Clubcard was £2.95 so it was still a massive increase, yet we're told inflation is falling, that isn't the reality for many items.
  • Options
    The price without a Clubcard was £2.95 so it was still a massive increase, yet we're told inflation is falling, that isn't the reality for many items.
    The rate of inflation is falling, but prices are still going up every month.

• Options
    edited April 28
    Some products are variable  in price from month to month because of promotions / sales tactics. 

You’d really need to know the price it’s been on sale at over say the last year to really see what increase was really seen. 

I’m just highlighting it’s complex now because of drive to get you to buy all your shopping in one store but of course undeniably we see inflation across a typical basket of goods.  

By contrast there were some very cheap deals on veg and roasting joints across the Easter break.  
  • Options

I know that the rate of inflation is falling, but there are many items that are going up by much more than the rate of inflation. The price of that can of deodorant has been steady over the last year, but an increase of 22% cannot be justified.
  • Options

Are you sure about this ?
  • Options

I know that the rate of inflation is falling, but there are many items that are going up by much more than the rate of inflation. The price of that can of deodorant has been steady over the last year, but an increase of 22% cannot be justified.
    Can you please post the offending item?
  • Options

It’s justified by people still buying it. There must cheaper home brand offerings available. 
  • Options

It’s justified by people still buying it. There must cheaper home brand offerings available. 
    There are cheaper brands, but I gave this as an example of a ridiculous price increase.
  • Options

There are cheaper brands, but I gave this as an example of a ridiculous price increase.
    I've topped up saving money on the shopping bill during the cost of living crisis.
    Changing to cheaper brands