Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Fleetwood v Charlton | Saturday 17 September 2022 3:00PM

Comments

• Options
    We’re so shit , orient will climb above us in the london pecking order next season 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    First half was awful, worse than Bolton because Bolton are a good, well-drilled side. Second half was much better without being fantastic. It really shows that two decent halves and we could very well have won. 

The thing that gives me hope is Sess and Egbo as overlapping fullbacks next week with JRS and CBT on the flanks and Leaburn up front. That will feel more like the side we were hoping for in terms of quality and mobility. 

But we have to stop letting in soft goals. 
    Agreed, but both JRS and CBT need to improve the consistency of their shooting (keep the ball down more often) and crossing, and to develop better judgement as to when to pass the ball.  Service to Stockley and Leaburn (witness FGR) has been pretty poor.  They are still inexperienced and can learn.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Was feeling very sorry for the travelling Addicks when Miles came to their rescue with the backheel. Hopefully made their journey home much more enjoyable. 

Obviously that was a shocking first half, with no redeeming features. Outplayed, out muscled, out thought. Don’t even want to think about how bad that was. 
    Tremendous change in the second half though. Better formation, and a real positive in Egbo. Looks like a proper right back, and he’s stronger than Clare. 
    Loved Leaburn’s interview after the match. Hopefully that’ll get posted on Twitter, and reposted here. 
    Should have won it in the end. Hit the woodwork twice, and Rak Sakyi could have done better when put through. And when he blazed over. And when he missed the sitter in the first half. Hopefully he’ll be less profligate in future, but he’s very young tbf. 
    Dobson had an unusually poor game. His passing was way off today. Thought Fraser and Payne were ok, and improved before Payne came off. 
    If CBT’s shot had gone in rather than hit the bar we’d be all set for the weekend.
    Would love to see this leaburn interview if anyone is able to share 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Was feeling very sorry for the travelling Addicks when Miles came to their rescue with the backheel. Hopefully made their journey home much more enjoyable. 

Obviously that was a shocking first half, with no redeeming features. Outplayed, out muscled, out thought. Don’t even want to think about how bad that was. 
    Tremendous change in the second half though. Better formation, and a real positive in Egbo. Looks like a proper right back, and he’s stronger than Clare. 
    Loved Leaburn’s interview after the match. Hopefully that’ll get posted on Twitter, and reposted here. 
    Should have won it in the end. Hit the woodwork twice, and Rak Sakyi could have done better when put through. And when he blazed over. And when he missed the sitter in the first half. Hopefully he’ll be less profligate in future, but he’s very young tbf. 
    Dobson had an unusually poor game. His passing was way off today. Thought Fraser and Payne were ok, and improved before Payne came off. 
    If CBT’s shot had gone in rather than hit the bar we’d be all set for the weekend.
    He’s been pretty inconsistent all season for me. 

On the whole he has been his normal tenacious self, and has put in some fantastic challenges and broken up play well.

On the other hand I think he use of the ball, especially going forwards has been poor quiet a lot of the time. 
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Croydon said:
    Much better second half but that is a really crap result for a team that's supposedly after promotion. 
    Who thought we were after promotion with that squad ?
    I refer the honorable gentleman to the "HMS Piss the League" memes after the Plymouth game.
    Plymouth have won all their games since apart from today and they should have done.
    Yep, but they were down to 10 men against us, and it had been fairly end to end up until the penalty and the sending off, because they were happy to play a similar open game to us. I very much enjoyed that match, but felt that it wasn't necessarily a fair reflection of where we were at at the time.
  • Options
    Watched on the TV

Looked poor throughout and lucky to nick a point. Greg Stubley summed it up for me by saying we look like eleven strangers out there.

Rak Saki should be nowhere near a starting eleven with his lack of experience, he should be on loan with Sutton United.

With a choice of forwards from two inexperienced kids, one crock and Stockley we are going nowhere fast.
    To be fair Mike i think Rak is one of the only players we have who can win or turn a game. Think he will be outstanding as he develops.
    No doubt he will develop, just not with us. The idea of loaning a player from the Prem is to improve the side and I don’t feel he has.

We were bang average last season and we are bang average this season, in fact I would say we are slightly worse.
  • Options
    Still six points behind target. If JRS had finished it could be down to four.
    Mind you at half time it looked as if the deficit would be up to seven.
    Barnsley is now a must win.
  • Options
    Watched on the TV

Looked poor throughout and lucky to nick a point. Greg Stubley summed it up for me by saying we look like eleven strangers out there.

Rak Saki should be nowhere near a starting eleven with his lack of experience, he should be on loan with Sutton United.

With a choice of forwards from two inexperienced kids, one crock and Stockley we are going nowhere fast.
    To be fair Mike i think Rak is one of the only players we have who can win or turn a game. Think he will be outstanding as he develops.
    No doubt he will develop, just not with us. The idea of loaning a player from the Prem is to improve the side and I don’t feel he has.

We were bang average last season and we are bang average this season, in fact I would say we are slightly worse.
    I would rather have him in the side than out of it, he is miles better than DJ is. Which sums us up really.
  • Options
    We were dire in the first half but much improved in the second. A draw probably a fair result but had we won that they couldn't have complained. There is something missing though. We feel a bit too static when we haven't got the ball. Finishing still an issue although CBT was unlucky with his effort rather than it being a poor one. Also, as mentioned in the commentary, I can't remember seeing a side where it is so easy to get your crosses in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Watched on the TV

I would rather have him in the side than out of it, he is miles better than DJ is. Which sums us up really.
    Exactly, he is in the side because he has no competition which is very plain to see.  
  • Options
    Terrible first half. Although interestingly Scott Marshall commented on how difficult it was playing into the wind. Small amount of mitigation for an abject 45mins though.

Pleased we went back to 433 and good to see Egbo on the pitch and influencing the game. Get Sessengnon back and I think we will be harder to score against.

Second half, whilst not brilliant was a big improvement and the players deserve some credit for turning it round. How many times last season did we see a first half like that descend into an even worse second 45?

On another day one of CBT or Egbo's chances go in and we nick it.

Surprised at all the "little old Fleetwood" sentiment. They have lost one game this season and won at Peterborough in the week. They looked useful in the first half but seemed to tire dramatically second.

IMO a decentish point with a great bit of improvisation from Miles Leaburn.

Still think we can have a decent season. Players are coming back and most importantly for me, we have only really put one 90min performance together and have still only lost twice. A good sign that we can grind out results when missing key players and not playing great.

Barnsley will be a tough game. They have been up and down so far, lets hope we get them on a down day and we hopefully see Sessengnon come back with Chuks to follow against Oxford.
    I’ll go with that it’s going to take time, compared with this time last season we are “streets ahead” the club is still work in progress, repairing the damage done by a bunch of pricks over many years, keep the faith!
  • Options
    Nine games played, still only two losses.

Our problem is converting the draws into losses. Either by keeping goals out more efficiently or showing more quality in the box.

2-2 vs Accrington
    1-1 vs Cambridge
    1-1 vs Wycombe
    1-1 vs Forest Green
    1-1 vs Fleetwood

are all missed opportunities.
    Our problem is converting the draws into losses  :D

1-1 was a fair result. 
  • Options
    Why isn't anybody stating their player of the season like they were a few months back! 
  • Options
    Terrible first half. Although interestingly Scott Marshall commented on how difficult it was playing into the wind. Small amount of mitigation for an abject 45mins though.

Pleased we went back to 433 and good to see Egbo on the pitch and influencing the game. Get Sessengnon back and I think we will be harder to score against.

Second half, whilst not brilliant was a big improvement and the players deserve some credit for turning it round. How many times last season did we see a first half like that descend into an even worse second 45?

On another day one of CBT or Egbo's chances go in and we nick it.

Surprised at all the "little old Fleetwood" sentiment. They have lost one game this season and won at Peterborough in the week. They looked useful in the first half but seemed to tire dramatically second.

IMO a decentish point with a great bit of improvisation from Miles Leaburn.

Still think we can have a decent season. Players are coming back and most importantly for me, we have only really put one 90min performance together and have still only lost twice. A good sign that we can grind out results when missing key players and not playing great.

Barnsley will be a tough game. They have been up and down so far, lets hope we get them on a down day and we hopefully see Sessengnon come back with Chuks to follow against Oxford.
    👍 spot on
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Why isn't anybody stating their player of the season like they were a few months back! 
    Fraser | O'Connell | Leaburn... if I had to pick someone at this stage of the season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I remembered that but thought it was against Port Vale.
  • Options
    That's it from me, all things Charlton. 55 years a Charlton supporter - cannot take any more crap. Lower half  league one side with a Premiership stadium ain't gonna get any better soon. Good Bye!
    Reminds me of that embarrassing copy / paste crap that goes round on Twitter

With the message ending with saying that they're off to support a rival team
    Nope can’t say I’ve seen that
  • Options
    Need to turn these draws into wins. Easier said than done in this pony league. Barnsley ain’t gonna be easy next.
  • Options
    A fair point on the day, but simply not good enough. It was apparent the 3-1-4-2 was not clear to the players first half and only when we switched to 4-3-3, then 4-4-2 did we build some rhythm. Like others have said this is down to recruitment, neither the system, nor formation, nor style of play can be blamed. Stockley became a different player late on when partnered with Leaburn, albeit not a sniff of a chance.
  • Options
    Highlights are a funny thing, we look the more likely in these short clips. 
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    I’m going to keep it simple. Fleetwood started the better side and dominated the first half, taking a one nil lead into the….

Unfortunately it wasn’t to be. We come away with a point, but we’re really not very good. We’re missing some key sausages and a lot of confidence.

Fleetwood 1 Charlton 1

Over to you.